“Great holiday self catering not a problem for us”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Holiday Village

Holiday Village
Ranked #19 of 45 Hotels in Benalmadena
“Great holiday self catering not a problem for us”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 May 2011

I went to the holiday village with my partner and two children aged 4 and 14 months for two weeks arrived bk on the 19th may. I was a little worried about going as o had read a few bad reviews about self catering in particular but we couldn't fault it at all the kitchen is basic with only a hob, microwave,toaster and kettle but we cooked meals no problem we cooked 4 nights in the time we stayed cooking spag Bol , fajitas , curry and steak all meals were
U only require a hob. There is a super sol a 5 min bus ride away but I recommend a taxi back as the bus can get busy and the older spainsh ppl race 4 seat (one old women tried to push past my 4 year old!) Jacks American is a great place to eat Monday to Friday 5-7 is happy hour on all drinks. Okie Dokies is good to these are both at the Marina the side streets are great to eat slighty cheaper and just as good s great place we if u get of the bus at the first McDonalds walk up the road away from the seafront is a lovely chinese starter main side and dessert all for €7. The hotel itself was great room kept clean staff v friendly kids clubs great and the girls in crèche were great with my -4 month old always stopped and made a fuss of him whenever the say him evening entertainment brilliant for kid all first choice staff were amazing made a real effort if u are s/c and like a pint in the evening do not buy beers in the bar apprantly they taste like urine according to my partner instead bottles or cans in the local supermarkets San migel is very cheap u van can drink it in all the bars if u want. All in all a fantastic holiday and would go again and would go self catering again the food smelt like dirty meat!

• Stayed May 2011

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (655)
  • Polish first
Arbroath
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 May 2011

Just back from a week AI at this holiday village and what a mistake we made booking here. From day one we encountered a host of problems that we have never ever experienced before on any other holiday.
Firstly, the hotel stinks...literally. There is a major drainage/sewage problem in place and this was predominant on the fifth floor - where our room was. It was made only worse by running the air con and after I complained to First Choice staff, they did get us moved but we were still on the floor of honk !!! When I asked the rep - Louise - if anyone else had complained she said no....and then I read reviews and find this problem has been ongoing for sometime, even as far back as last year. The honk is obviously getting ignored by the hotel and First Choice so be warned.
Just after we were moved to a less "honky" room, I came down with a severe bout of vomitting. My guess is it was the food. For the size of the place and the amount of people in milling around in it, the quality of the food was poor. If you are happy getting any sort of greasy grub served up to you then this is the place to go. They LOVE olive oil on everything...swimming around magnificently before your rumbling bellies. I like to try the seafood abroad and have never had any bother until here....and the crab, redfish and salmon. Never again.
The hotel itself was not clean. The rooms were tended to every day but the floors were not cleaned and I reckon the blankets in the cupboard are never washed from one visit to another.
The entertainment team are fine for the kids but the stuff is mind numbing for adults. The whole place seems to be set up to keep the kids entertained while the adults lie at the pool, smoke and drink all day and night. Not what we wanted to experience thank you very much !!
The area on a whole felt a bit tired and in need of something new. We had three trips out to Selwo Marina, Bioparc and Croc park which saved our holiday. All these trips are superb and worth doing to get you away from the madness that is holiday world Costa del Sol..........or mini Engur-land !!

1 Thank whitts1314
Wolverhampton, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 May 2011

I went to this hotel (holiday village) last week and came back yesterday, it was disqusting, there is mould everywhere on -2 floor, its all other the floor, wall and ceelings and all the little kids was catching a virus infection the food was terrible, was always pink and the chicken tasted like water i am very ashamed that my family booked this hotel, there is only one shop in the hotel and its very expensive and when i first got there nothing was open so i had to travel a few miles to a local store, if you have children i reccomned do not take them there or they will catch the viral infection.

3 Thank katiee13
Liverpool, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 May 2011

I stayed at the Holiday Village in Benalmedena with my 22yr & 5yr old daughter, 2yr old grandson,his dad & other Nan&grandad. We all had a fab time. First Choice were on hand immediately to show us transport to hotel then we were checked in & in our room within 10mins. The room was spotless. It was cleaned & clean towels left everyday. The rest of the hotel & poolside was very clean too. The First Choice Kids club was brilliant, very well run with lots of different activities all day, everyday. The reps were fantastic, worked very hard on entertaining the kids, always with a smile, & from day 1 remembered my daughters name. They had family entertainment at night & a bar for the adults, games room, Internet, & a shop for snacks open till late. We stayed all inclusive, the food was lovely & tasty with plenty to choose from & something different everyday, even for a fussy 5yr old. The restaurant was very clean & well set out, & fresh food topped up regularly. Theres lots of other activities a short walk over a bridge to an ajoining part of the hotel. Overall an amazing holiday with fab Reps. Well done First Choice. Heres to next year.

Room Tip: The Poolside view was gorgeous.
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled with family
Shropshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 May 2011

I returned from the holiday village 2 days ago and we had a great time! I travelled with my husband and our 2 children 8 months and 3 and a half years old!
The transfer is really good to this hotel really quick approx 20 mins and they drop at holiday village first!
The rooms are a good size although the only concern I dis have was even though you could lock the balcony door in the bedroom from the top there is no way of locking the main door into the corridor so our 3 year old could just walk out whenever he felt like it so he had to sleep in the bedroom with us which was not ideal!
The beach club is lovely especially past the restaurant where there is a really shallow pool and water shoots out of the floor perfect for little kiddies!!
It is a bit of a walk though and the bridge over the main road is a killer with a pushchair!!
The food was always of excellent quality and the variety was phenomenal i did steer my little boy away from the kids section though as it is always burgers pizzas chips and hotdogs. But there is something for all tastes and the breakfasts are lovely!
We didn't get to see any of the evening entertainment after the bingo as we had to put our frazzled little boy to bed and the only way he would sleep is if we went to bed too! The kids entertainment was really good though and the bingo was fun. Our son only went to kids club twice as he preferred being in the pool but he seemed to enjoy it and they offer a wide range of activities the staff were always friendly and enthusiastic too.
The restaurants: the italian has a very limited menu which we found a bit boring but the mexican was pretty good particularly the starters.
I would not recommend you go to this hotel as self catering as it would be very expensive i did not see any supermarkets near and the cooking facilities in the room are not brilliant no kettle and no oven! Also this hotel is not near to restaurants!
I would warn people with young children (especially those who can't swim) that the fountain in the courtyard outside the piano bar and the restaurants is very dangerous it isnt that deep but it is quite a drop into it , our son fell in it although we were watching and retrieved him within seconds, if he had banged his head I do think it could have been very serious!
Whilst at the beach club our daughter did manage to fall off a sun lounger onto her head which was an awful shock I spoke to the life guards who sent me to reception which is fair run with a 23lb baby! Once i got there the receptionists were fantastic they fetched ice for her head (got me a copy of our room key as I had just run off without notifying my hubby!!) and got a doctor to my room within ten minutes, the doctor spoke perfect english and was BRILLIANT he also holds a clinic from 10-11 every morning on level -1. It is about 90 euros to see him but I would've paid a 1000 to make sure our daughter was ok, I find this an absolutely invaluable service especiially if you have clumsy kids like ours or any of your family are ill.
We never had a problem getting sunloungers although it was early in the season.
Overall this hotel is great for families i would not go here without children!!!

Room Tip: i would upgrade to sea view
Newcastle
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 May 2011

My partner and I arrived on Sunday 1 May and were greeted with a lovely cool drink in reception. Checking in took some time but it gave us a chance to speak to some people who had been to the hotel previously. I was shocked to pay 100 euros at the desk in case of any damage to the room during our stay. However, we could have given them our credit card details as security but preferred not to do this.

The hotel was lovely with several pools, There were always plenty of sun loungers so did not have to get up early to secure a place. The food was excellent, very varied and the staff were lovely. You were always shown to a table for breakfast, lunch and evening meal. Couldn't fault it and especially liked the "chocolate fountain" at the evening meal!

The entertainment catered mainly for children so great for families. The hotel was in a secure site so families felt it was safe for their children to roam freely in the grounds. The kids had a fantastic time and I am sure would not have been bored at all. It is a bit like "Butlins" so don't expect a quiet holiday.

The location is not ideal but as we went all inclusive we were quite happy to stay on the complex.

Overall an excellent holiday and would definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
Bradford
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 May 2011

Stayed for one week from 03/05 with 2 kids aged 2 & 7 and grandparents.

We were impressed with the rooms (508), a one bed appt even though we were all inclusive. The balcony was very big, bathroom big and beds big and comfy.

The food was good, however if you ate a bit later it could be luke warm, plenty of choice for all meals or snacks if you prefere, there are only English so the food is catered to our tastes, no wierd garlic sausages or brocolli etc for brekky! I would definately opt for All Inc because the few bits that I bought at the hotel shop were stupidly expensive.

The pool area in the hotel is big enough, there were always sunbeds available and the playground is near the pool area so we could watch our 7 year old (mermaid!) in the water whilst our 2 yr old played on the slides. The mini waterpark across the bridge and road is also excellent for kids of all ages, but the pools could be a little cold at times, again there was always sunbed space.

Benalmadina is a bus ride away, dont do the same as us and try and walk it, we walked for an hour and were still only half way there, kids were not impressed! The buses are regular and fair priced and it is worth a visit to the marina, its very beautiful, if you fancy a day out and ask reception before 8pm you can book a picnic dinner to take out the next day if your AI. After five days we discovered if you turned right at the roundabout you could get to a beautiful beach within 15 minutes, nice and quiet and the kids loved it there, just wish we had discovered it earlier.

There is plenty of entertainment day and night for kids of all ages, although my kids didnt partake in any, all the kids seemed to enjoy themselves. The reps and all staff always have a smile, are polite and seem to work very hard day and night. It's a bit "Butlins with sun" so if your looking for 5* plush or a peaceful break this is not for you, but very good for families with kids and I am looking to re-book for next year.

3 Thank BantamBelle