“Fantastic holiday!”

Holiday Village
Ranked #19 of 45 Hotels in Benalmadena
“Fantastic holiday!”
Reviewed 12 June 2014 via mobile

We have just arrived back after spending a week in the holiday village! We have 2 children 4 and 11! We checked in without any problems! Rooms were a good size ,bathroom fab 2x showers and hand basins can sort 2 children at same time! Room could have been a little cleaner but by all means not dirty dirty although a little dated! Some of the bedding was as little thread bare and blankets were like army ones! If you want to watch tv Get a remote from reception! Rooms were cleaned every day without exception and fresh towels daily! You need to get a chitty from reception when you book in to get beach towels you get them downstairs at the spa and can change them twice a week don't loose them as you get a 15 euro fine!
Pools were fabulous not at all cold at the main pool although the big ones at beach club could be a little chilly! Spotlessly clean all around the pool areas and always plenty of sunbeds! We found a lovely spot near the beach club restaurant where the splash fountains were, Shallow pool for little ones and spotless toilets by the pool and not to mention the bar and restaurant right near. Perfect spot we could have spent everyday there!
Kids club........what can I say I could not fault the team! They were excellent with my 2 and they enjoyed everyone they attended! We did pay extra for two sessions but they were worth it! Both my children who weren't the best swimmers even after lots of lessons back home , attended daily swimming lessons with Chris! I thoroughly recommend him! He was great with them both and he kind of fast tracked them through their 5 lessons to the point where they have both come home able to swim I am so pleased as are they!
Food wasn't the best, not much choice for my picky pair! They lived on nuggets hot dogs And chips! Breakfast was faultless lots of choice! Restaurants can get busy but we never had to Que! You get the chance to eat at two different restaurants during the week! Italian was ok but the Mexican wasn't too good, more American food like burgers etc none of us enjoyed that! The beach club restaurant on a lunch time is worth the trail over the bridge it only takes 5-10 mins to walk depending on mobility!
Drinks were not the best but did the job! If you wanted a cocktail you need to ask for the drinks by name and not the actual cocktail as the bar staff are not allowed to do this ! My husband didn't enjoy the lager! The wine was ok!
The entertainment was good for the kids! The entertainment staff were friendly and good with the
little ones!
We went to fengorola market on Tuesday taxi was 10 euros and an afternoon down at benalmedena harbour which was lovely and 11 euros in a taxi.
All in all we had a fabulous holiday and will be back again next year! Don't listen to the bad reports it's not perfect but with a few tweaks it could be!

• Stayed June 2014
5 Thank juliedarrel23may
hvcdsmanagement, Manager at Holiday Village, responded to this review, 13 June 2014
Dear Guest,

We appreciate you taking time out of your schedule to review our hotel.

We take on board your comments and suggestions as we can use them to make improvements where necesarry.

We are happy that you enjoyed your holiday and hope to see you again soon.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (661)
  • Polish first
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 June 2014

Stayed here for a week 1st June family of 4 kids 9 & 13. 1st impressions not happy wearing all inclusive wristbands all week very dated, room needed cleaning, fittings could do with up dating especially the 10yr old tv not good for a 4 star hotel!! Was up on the 4th floor looking over the pool & sea which was lovely. Breakfast was the best meal there, evening meal could do better. Pool snack bar was way to small for the amount of people using it. Swimming pool was nice bit cold, had to be closed twice while we was there 1st time as a girl was sick in there so shut for 6hours then 2nd time 4hours as a toddler had no swim nappy on!!!! Not good. Water park across the bridge was nice. Would recommend going to Benalmadena marina in the evening well worth a visit taxi was 10 euros. Great resort costa del sol if hotel was updated would go back. Entertainment staff worked hard & first choice staff always helpfull.

Room Tip: Worth upgrading to a sea view room.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank clare h
Dear Guest,

Many thanks for taking the time and reviewing our facilities.

As you mentioned in your review, the hotel is over 10 years old and we have started our modernisation programme. This will continue in to next year.

We hope that you consider us for your future holidays.
Sotogrande, Spain
Reviewed 11 June 2014

This was the first holiday my 14 month old baby has had. We actually live on the Costa Del Sol about 200km away so it was a bit funny at first.
My parents came over from the UK with my niece and nephew so this was the reason we all went.

The hotel delivered everything we hoped.
Everyone loved it and it find it hard to fault.

Its probably not ideal for the 16 year old we had with us but she didn't complain.
We also had a 22 year old who didn't complain once.

The food was amazing and plentiful.

Breakfast was excellent
The food all day was very good.
The evening buffet wasn't 100% perfect for me but i cant complain as nobody else did.
The pudding was superb and i now know after a big meal i can only cope with 11 profiteroles.
The chocolate fountain was superb and out enough times to be novel but not too many times to be boring.

The plates did have a little residue on them which meant you had to pick a clean one, but the water is so hard on the Costa Del Sol that there are serious challenges to getting stuff squeaky clean.

The pools are superb and we went in May so they were a little cold but its just what you need on a hot day to bring your body temperature down.

The hotel is elevated and very much seafront so quite often there is an amazing cool breeze coming inland which really does make it comfortable in the hot weather.

The shop downstairs had enough supplies although they ran out of baby wipes.
I had some in the car outside so it was no bother for me but could have inconvenienced some for a day or so.
Prices were decent and not excessive.

The staff and entertainment were fantastic.
Nothing was too much trouble for them and they were happy to help.
The entertainers were good with typical English holiday camp style failed ex factor contestants.

We didn't get to try out any of the kids clubs or entertainment because we had grandparents to look after the baby but next time we go we will be sure the kids are well looked after and in good hands.

We thankfully got a room next to the other family we were with even though we booked at different times.
This was superb.

We had a room facing the railway. What people fail to point out is that this railways is a local tube type electric railway above ground. You really cant hear a sound from it other than a little tick tick tick as it goes whizzing almost silently past.

We didn't care about the seafront because we live on the seafront anyway so railway was lovely and so was the mountain view.

The room was fine and the kitchen has everything you need including a full size fridge with a freezer compartment big enough to keep a weeks frozen baby food.

We arrived a little late because we didn't have a flight to catch so we stopped in Marbella on the way to get some nappies. When we arrived they noticed we hadn't checked in so there was a huge microwave meal in the fridge and lots of packaged cakes and biscuits waiting for us in case we hadn't eaten.
Luckily we did actually make it in time for the evening meal so we didn't need it. Even though the microwave meal wouldn't have won any food awards it was superb touch and could have been perfect for a weary traveler.

I still keep thinking about those amazing breakfasts.

The room was absolutely fine but it really could have done with a bit of a better deep clean before we arrived.
It did fail inspection a little but nothing a few baby wipes didn't sort out.
I would recommend the hotel or first choice to maybe give a little more time to staff for cleaning and inspect them a little more.
People dont mind their own mess but having other peoples left over is not good.
The clean before we arrived was the critical one for first impressions.
They were pretty clean overall but standards could do with raising slightly.

We couldn't get our safe to work and called the reception.
It seemed as soon as we put the phone down the technician came and knocked on the door.
Sorted fast.

The bed was a little broken and was squeaking really loudly which woke the baby.
We called and it was fixed by the time we got back from the pool.
The two single beds were actually huge.

The pull out beds sheets were a bit threadbare but clean and smelled nice.
The 22 year old didn't complain about the bed once.

The staff spoke almost perfect English and other languages.
There is English Tv which is superb.

I would highly recommend this to anyone and will definitely be going again soon.

8 Thank Billy L
Dear Guest,

It is a pleasure to hear that you enjoyed your recent visit to our hotel.

We appreciate your feedback regarding the cleanliness as it can help us see where we must improve.

Many thanks and look forward to your next visit.
Yorkshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 June 2014 via mobile

I am on my last day at other holiday village and got to say I have mixed reviews. 5* in some areas, 2* in others. We have had mixed weather all week so that has played a major part in what we have decided to do. We have had 4 days of 33 degrees which is pretty hot for June and 2 days of cloud such as today it's only 23 degrees and freezing! Bless us Brits out in bikinis even in the cloud though!

Food - is what you should expect from all inclusive.. A huge variety to choose from and yes, like some reviews have said it is like a cattle market people everywhere touching things and leaving masses of food which is pretty disgusting when you think of all the starvation in the world! Maybe a tip would be for people to put a small amount of food on their plate then go back for more rather than piling it up and feeling sick after 5 mins. Quite a lot of people on here have said that the food is disgusting.. Well, that's down to personal opinion! I have quite enjoyed the food, apart from puddings. I don't like foreign chocolate it tastes stale to me. Italian restaurant was 5* absolutely beautiful. I was so full after the starter I had to ask for a box to take my pizza away. Tex mex wasn't as nice, although my partner enjoyed his ribs. Lunchtime buffet was a bit iffy for me, some days I enjoyed it, others I didn't. Breakfast was always lovely, lots to choose from, same with tea. Chocolate fountain was impressive. I have stayed at all inclusive resorts before and it's always the same, buffet style, so anyone who isn't used to this might be off put. I have stayed in a stunning resort in the Maldives before and food here was better. In the Maldives you have flies on everything so think of that!

Pools - 1 word, amazing. I have never seen a water park as varied and fun!!! Wave pool, slides, toddler area etc etc cater for everyone!! Just a shame it's cold, cause when it's cold on a day like this you can't go in. It's just freezing. On a hot day it's fine. 5/5 for pools though still!

Rooms - VERY clean, only 1 day they forgot to clean, other than that 5*

Staff - restaurant staff - wow, amazing with kids!! One lady in breakfast buffet bit was amazing with my son, kept kissing him bless her! Wish I knew her name to pass positive feedback on. She's in the meet and greet entrance bit. bar staff just chat between themselves not really had a pleasant experience so far within them. Mind you they must get sick of kids spilling sticky pop and careless adults getting wrecked by 12 noon. First choice staff are great. A couple of the lads you can tell loved themselves and quite often disappeared from the help desk. On first day it was a nightmare trying to find the pram we hired, the lad was pretty useless at helping and ended up picking one up from the crèche in the end. Kids club staff are superb! So enthusiastic and a god send for parents. So many activities for kids!!! Which brings me on to the next bit.... Nothing much to do for toddlers. This is where we have struggled. Our son is 16 months old and full of beans. He's confident running around playing on play area outside and quite advanced physically so this is where we had a problem. He was too young for kids club and could only play in the crèche but we had to leave him there which we didn't want to do! So there was absolutely nothing for him to play with. Crèche had so many toys and he would have loved it but we would have loved to play with him as it was a family holiday after all. We were told by other parents we should leave him at the crèche as the staff were great, which I'm sure they were, however, these parents were so loud, rough and didn't have a care in the worlds they were drunk by dinner time and didn't care too much for their babies. My son would have loved to play in an indoor play area when it got too hot outside around mid day. Unfortunately it wasn't open to public till kids clubs had stopped so he could only play in it 6.15 -7pm which is tea time. Then bed time! So that was poor. We did play in arcade but lost a few euros to machines not working.

I would have rated this 4* if there were two simple changes: 1) accommodate for toddlers indoors with a play area. 2.) allow guests to have 2 bottles of water per day in rooms. You only get two bottles on first day so ended up spending €13 euros on water! That would make it feel more all-inclusive.

Would I come back here? Yes, but not till my kids were at least 5 years old. Then I would feel like it was a holiday and not trying to keep my son happy for 12 hours a day.

P.s we visited Polynesia - wow, the hotel is something else inside!! Much better than ours! But location isn't as good as the holiday village, at least with holiday village you are right next to the bridge (which is a stupid design by the way) and the pool area is more lively.

Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Yorkshirelass024
Dear Guest,

We are happy to hear that overall you enjoyed your holiday with us.

We take on board your suggestions and will share them with our collegues for future planning.

Many thanks and we hope to see you again in the future.
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 June 2014

We went as a family of 4 (kids 7&8) for 10 nights, had a very enjoyable and memorable time, the kids spent so much time in the pools that I thought they were going to come home with gills and webbed feet!!

Hotel, when you pull up to the hotel it is very impressive, once you enter the hotel, its even more impressive. Check in simple, quick and easy, staff very friendly and helpful. Rooms great, spacious, clean and excellent views, we were on the 3rd floor with a sea view. Throughout the holiday I found the hotel staff approachable, helpful and nothing was too much trouble, credit to you all.

Pool area was fantastic, the artificial grass which was on the floor was great, pools perfect, shallow where needed for younger ones and max depth about 1.4m. No trouble getting loungers whatever time you come down, the water park over the bridge is also very good, but our kids preferred the hotel pool as they made some friends and enjoyed taking part in some of the daytime entertainment.

The First choice staff work there socks off and never seem to stop, the kids loved the evening entertainment and loved dancing to the songs. In the daytime there was always something going on and liked the fact that they did not pressure the kids to take part.

Food, the kids and my wife ate well, there was a large choice and always something to eat, breakfast was the best meal for me, (although would suggest that they put more staff on for omelette's which can be a very long wait in busy periods). Dinner in the beach club was good, large varied choice. The day time snack's are what you would expect (Chips, hot dogs, burgers, Pizza, fruit, yoghurts, desserts etc) and was always topped up and kept warm. Evening meals tended to be a bit hit and miss and some of the fresh choices were sometimes poor, but in fairness you will get this with any all inclusive so don't think this can be leveled as a criticism, especially with the volume of customers, staff very pleasant and helpful though. The on site restaurants tend to be a variation of the main restaurant, but liked the fact that you were sat down and not having to get your own food, again the staff great, not sure if I have mentioned this!!

The inclusive drinks were good but did not like that you had to pay for the slush drinks, all the previous all-inclusive holidays I have been on tend to include these, but again a minor point.

The hotel is a bit isolated (but it does clearly show this on the web site) and nothing much around it, but only 10 euro to Benalmadena (we went to the Dolphin park, very good) and 13 euro to Fuengurola, (went to the market, again very good and worth the trip out).

Me and my family had a great time here, the gripes are minor and did not detract from a great holiday and would strongly recommend this hotel and would book again.

Room Tip: Choose a sea view
5 Thank 566PaulL
hvcdsmanagement, Manager at Holiday Village, responded to this review, 10 June 2014
Dear Guest,

We are very happy to hear that you enjoyed your recent holiday with us.

We value your opinion and appreciate your honest feedback.

We hope that you consider us for your future holidays.
Hartlepool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 June 2014

Hotel was lovely, 1 bedroom apartment was very spacious and clean, the only thing i could say was that the bathroom did not smell very nice, but it was clean.

The reps there were absolutely brilliant, me and my partner and 7 year old son went, didnt see my son much, found friends and participated in a lot of the things going on around the main pool.

Food lovely in main buffet and in both restaurants, staff were very friendly and would recommend this hotel to anybody with children.

The only bad thing was you had to pay for slush puppies as they were not on the all inclusive, why? I dont know.

Room Tip: We had a room overlooking the back of the hotel room 011 and we got the sun from 4 pm onwards which...
1 Thank Dawn K
Dear Guest,

Many thanks for your recent review of our hotel. We value your feedback.

We are very happy to hear that you enjoyed your holiday with us.

We look forward to seeing you again in the future.
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 June 2014

The best advice- do not come here and if you have a chance choose another village, we stayed in Kos -5,Rhodes-3, but this one should never be rated as 4 stars, first choice team,they are great,but hotel and food- you loose your appetite just touching the plates-so dirty, 90% frozen ready pizza,chips and nuggets, chicken and fish what they are trying to grill is burned and tasteless,and every day the same ,tex mex is more Burger King ,than mexican, just has nachos and chicken faitas,italian restaurant also far from any italian I ever been, pools are great,but cold ,even sea was warmer, the best thing to do- never step in this dirty, not welcome place...

• Stayed June 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time and giving us your feedback.

We appreciate all feedback both positive and negative as it can show us where improvements can be made.

With regards to your comments, we are sorry you were dissapointed with the food as we try very hard to satisfy everybodys tastes.

We also have many repeat guests who are very happy with the food and general cleanliness of the hotel.