“Great place to take children”
Review of Holiday Village

Holiday Village
Ranked #19 of 45 Hotels in Benalmadena
Nottingham, United Kingdom
“Great place to take children”
Reviewed 17 July 2014

We travelled to the hotel with a party of 4 adults and 3 children 6.8,&11.We cannot fault this hotel at all never seen so many children's reps very well organised could leave with them most of the day.The breakfast in the morning was one of the best we have had proper bacon not fatty stuff you normally get fried bread and black pudding.Dinner time for the best food was over the bridge in the restaurant so much choice dinner was the basic lots of pork not much chicken good variety for kids though mrs did moan about no porridge at breakfast but thats her water park was good pity you had to pay deposit for the rings as you could have left your room card buffet was on outside all day with ice cream children could go and help themselves to drinks instead of queuing up good not fault the beer not the flat stuff you normally get the only problem we had that some families are tramps they seem to pile the plates up that high it all falls of and they leave it all and go back again would we go bk yes

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
hvcdsmanagement, Manager at Holiday Village, responded to this review, 18 July 2014
Dear Guest,

We are very pleased to hear that you enjoyed your recent holiday.

We will share your review with our team as they can use positive words as motivation to keep giving the good service yourselves experienced.

Many thanks and we hope that you consider us for your future holidays.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (657)
  • Polish first
Holmfirth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 July 2014

After returning from this hotel yesterday i feel strongly about expressing my concerns.

The problems are:

Hotel management allowing standards to be very low.

For instance, not reinforcing the swim-nappy policy for under 4's even though the pools had to be evacuated on four occasions within one week. Each time this resulted in the pool being closed for the remainder of the day. This is totally unacceptable.

Also, not having enough cleaners around the pool area throughout the day. Unfortunately, certain guests had a tendency of not putting their rubbish in the bins or the bins weren't emptied enough and overflowed.

On a plus point I would like to praise the entertainment staff who ran the kid's clubs and soccer academy. They worked extremely hard to make the kid's activities very enjoyable.

Room Tip: When booking your holiday make sure you ask for a room with a sea/pool view. We were in room 547 whi...
Dear Guest,

We appreciate you taking the time and leaving us your feedback.

With regards to the pool closures you mentioned, we advertise the importance of wearing swim nappies at every exit to the pool area plus on many signs actually surrounding the pool. Aswell as this, our Tour Operator promotes the swim nappy importance at their welcome meetings and throughout the day around the pool area.

We agree that it is not a pleasent experience, but we are required by law to maintain the affected pool closed until we carry out the stipulated cleaning procedures.

Many thanks and we hope that you consider us for your future holidays.
Wirral
Reviewed 16 July 2014

We went as a family sold on the many pools, activities and all inclusive.
The food is varied and a good selection. All inclusive times are a bit short and no bottled water for the room.
After mentioning the hotel was looking a bit tired I was told it was four years old! My thought is that it is under staffed. The reps from first choice were good, lively, helpful, friendly and put on good entertainment.
The hotel staff (apart from in the restaurant I have to say) were not so friendly. We had a few issues such as my child slipping and hurting her knee on a water leak in the bathroom.....no maintenance showed up. Only after we filmed water coming through the light fitting were we met with a toss of the head and 'this can happen'. Cue the maintenance guy.
I've worked in electrics for 15 years and if this is a recurring thing it should be sorted by now.
Also, the cleaner makes the beds but doesn't mop out the rooms and the fabric of the travel cot has never been cleaned.
As I mentioned, I think the hotel (not first choice) is understaffed.
It is also a taxi ride from any other shop, beach, restaurant.

Room Tip: Not near the stage. Anywhere but by the stage!
1 Thank PeggyWirral
Dear Guest,

We are happy to hear that overall you enjoyed your holiday.

We are extremely sorry to hear that you had to come more than once to report a very rare fault with your room. Rest assured that this will be looked into.

Our hotel is in fact 10 years old this year and we celebrated this at the beginning of the season. You may have noticed that we are making improvements to the hotel and this will be an ongoing procedure for the remainder of this season and throughout the winter.

We appreciate your feedback and hope that consider us for your future holidays.
merseyside
Reviewed 15 July 2014

We travelled to the hotel as a party of 9, 5 children aged 5 to 11, two adults nearing forty and two grandparents both retired.

We arrived in time for lunch after a very early flight and were directed over the bridge to the lunchtime dining room. There was plenty to choose from and we were all happy with the quality and variety of food in both this dining room and at the main hotel for breakfast and evening meal.

This restaurant was on the "water park" side of the bridge which was connected to the main hotel by a spiral climb up and down over a main road for safety.

The pools were great, clean and something for everyone. There were aqua balls for free each morning for the first 15 guests to get their names down, but people seemed to only be taking one turn per week (as did we) so this meant that all the children who wanted a turn got one. Also we have been at other hotels where this has been charged for so it was a nice change.

The waterpark did have rings for hire which were 6E per day but we only got this one day as you could only use them in one pool and on two slides. Children did need an adult to supervise in the wave pool which was like a scene from the perfect storm if you are not a strong swimmer but you could go in on a ring of your own if you had one which I presume would have been a little better for the adult. There were plenty of lifeguards at all pools and it was very well run in terms of pool safety.

The pools were cold but in the heat, it was a welcome relief and something you soon got used to.

The rooms were clean and spacious with a kitchen if you needed to use it including a fridge, kettle and hot plates for pans. We were all inclusive so didn't use the cooking facilities which were basic, but we usually camp so were more than adequate.

The bathroom was clean and had a separate shower cubicle as well as the over bath shower. This was really handy for getting the children ready and washing hair. My husband was also really pleased as it meant he could get ready to watch the world cup while I sweated over getting the children washed!

The entertainment wasn't great, but we went to the main outdoor stage each night and there was indoor entertainment (which was not always on because of the football) and some live entertainment in another bar. We didn't go to the Irish bar so can't comment.

The girls went to the kids club but they are not really children that would like that sort of thing as are quite clingy but it seemed really good, well run and the children's safety was top priority needing the adults location and taking them in and out one at a time which was time consuming but certainly what I would have expected to ensure safeguarding of all children.

My eldest son is Autistic and before travelling we had contacted the hotel directly to request 3 adjoining rooms. The hotel had organised this which meant as a family we could all enjoy our holiday without having to worry about being separated or needing to be apart in the hotel. It also meant that all the children could be adequately supervised at all times.

We weren't part of the party, but one evening whilst sitting at the bar, we noticed a wedding party making their way over to the other side of the road (waterpark). We had seen decorations going up the previous day and it appeared to be well organised and was lovely to see such an event taking place. The next day we had a look at the area used for the party and it looked really nice.

We have all agreed that as a family we would return to the hotel as it was clean, the staff were friendly and helpful and it suited our family and all our different needs. I would recommend this hotel to anyone and truly am struggling to understand the bad reviews that have been left.

Room Tip: We were not overlooking the pool and there is a train line at the back of the hotel, but there was n...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
5 Thank susan p
Dear Guest,

Many thanks for your kind and honest feedback.

We appreciate all feedback as in many cases it can show us where we can make improvements.

We hope to see you again very soon.
Dublin
Reviewed 15 July 2014

I travelled as part of a group of seven on the 8th of June. Our group ranged in age from 10 to 80. We had a great holiday but there were a few small details that would have improved our experience.

Check in was fast and very efficient and all dealings that I had with the front desk were handled in a friendly but effecient manner.

We arrived at 10pm after the restaurant had closed but the hotel had kindly left us bottles of water, a dinner that could be microwaved and also some fruit, chocolate and crackers. This was much appreciated.

Rooms
We booked a pool view room and I have to say that we had a lovely view of both the pool and then out futher the sea. I would recommend this as it meant we had sun on the huge balcony in the afternoon and evening. The rooms were lovely and big and were spotlessly clean on arrival and also kept this way by housekeeping throughout the week. We had a huge bathroom with both a bath and shower and double sink.

Pools
The pools in both the main hotel and the beach club were all lovely but maybe slightly cold. I'd say this is appreciated as the temperature rise duringthe summer. We had one day with a bit of rain in the morning time and we headed for the indoor pool which was a blessing. However, the sun beds were not all that comfortable as the backs of them are non-adjustable.

Kids Clubs
The First Choice team are incredible. The kids being 10, 10 and 11 were not overly keen on going to the kids club to start with but this changed after they tried it once, after which they wanted to attend every session. They did the likes of canoeing and high ropes which they absolutley loved.

Restaurants
This would be one area that I feel could be improved. Breakfast was very good with an excellent selection of food. Most days we ate our lunch at the Beach Club and this again offered a very good selection of food, from freshly cooked Pizza for the kids to some lovely local dishes like Gazpacho, Paella and fresh fish. If you didn't want to go over to the Beach Club then there were snacks available form Oasis Bar all day. However, when it came to dinner we found the food in the buffet restaurant to be only average. There were chefs cooking meat and fish but all seemed a bit tastless and dry and any meat that I tried from the buffet dishes was tough. We visited the Italian and Tex Mex during our visit and have to say both meals but especially the Italian were enjoyable and it was a luxury to have waitress service.

Bars
At night you had the choice of two bars and the staff again were all very friendly but efficient at the same time. The kids loved their night cap before bed - Hot Chocolate and biscuits.

Entertainment
This was mainly provided by the First Choice team and as it is a family hotel it is definitely geared towards a young audience, considering the area of Spain we were in, it would have been wonderful if they included a little bit of culture and included some Flamenco Dancing or music even in the Piano Bar.

All in all we had a fantastic week and the kids are checking out where other Holiday Villages are situated for next year as they absolutely loved this Hotel.

Room Tip: Pay the extra for a Pool View
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank NiamhoDublin
Dear Guest,

We are very happy to hear that overall you enjoyed your recent holiday.

We take on board the feedback regarding your evening meals and will share the information with our chef.

Many thanks and we hop to see you again soon.
Maidstone, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 July 2014

My husband, 13 month daughter and I booked a last minute holiday to the holiday village going on 3rd July. This isn’t our normal sort of holiday but now having our little girl, we thought we would try it out. I’m going to start with the bad and then move onto to the good:-

BAD:-

Food – I completely agree with many of the other reviews. The food is poor. Is it mass cheap catering. Breakfast is good, the hot food is very oily but is it easy to avoid that with fruit, yogurt, breads, meats and cheeses and toast etc. Lunch over at the beach club is OK, again mass cheap food but plenty of salad, bread, cheese, fruit and desserts. We often made up sandwiches with a few chips followed by fruit and dessert and that was enough for us. For both of these meals I could also feed our toddler OK, with a bit of looking around! Dinner is main issue. I couldn’t find anything other than chicken nuggets and chips to feed my toddler. It was lucky I had taken ready meals with me and could heat them up for her. There was no baby/toddler food and given this is a family hotel I found this amazing. As with all the meal the food was luke warm at best and I was concerned what bugs she might get. My husband and I struggled to find something appealing the first night, tried it again on the third night and didn’t eat there again. The food that isn’t deep fried is floating in oil. Don’t go to this hotel if you want hot, edible evening meals unless you are willing to eat in the al a carte restaurants all week.

Cleanliness – The restaurant cleanliness left a lot to be desired. The childrens highchairs were always sticky with left over food on them and no effort by the waiters to clean them. I took a packet of detol wipes and cleaned the highchair before every use. The area around the playground wasn’t cleaned until mid morning so if we were there early, we had to push the empty beer cups out of the way to stop our daughter picking them up. It is shame other guests couldn’t clear up after themselves

GOOD:-

Rooms - these were larger and better furnished than I had hoped. The room had a separate kitchenette which was really useful. The travel cot provided looked old and dirty and I had paid for extra baggage allowance to take our cot. I’m very please I did, as I wouldn’t have been happy with my daughter sleeping in the cot provided. The lounge area was a good size and had a nice balcony overlooking the pool. The Piano bar music is below all the pool view rooms and stops at 11pm so OK. You could hear the music in the rooms even with the door shut but it didn’t worry us. The bedroom had 2 small double beds and there was plenty of storage. The room cleanliness was OK but we did have to ask for the floor to be washed properly as we got black feet within 5 minutes of being in the room when we arrived. The bathroom was huge, too big, with separate bath and shower. Plenty of room for the 3 of us and nicely decorated, we were happy.

Facilities – we didn’t use the crèche so can’t comment on that. We did try the stay and play sessions at lunchtime for Babies and early evening for everyone. These were really good as gave our daughter a chance to run around and play with other toys in the cool . Really pleased they offered these sessions but would have liked more than 2 x 30 min sessions a day. The swimming pools and beach club pool were great and everyone seemed to enjoy them, can’t fault them. Usual thing of people reserving sunbeds and never using them. If people just turned up used sunbeds and then took their stuff when they left, there wouldn’t be an issue! Some days we waited until 10am when the beach club opened and went over there as there were always plenty of sunbeds in the shade.

OVERALL:-

As we booked this as a last minute holiday at a cheap price we were happy with our holiday and felt it was good value for money even when adding on the cost of the al a carte restaurant for a couple of nights. Saying that we won’t be going back to anywhere like this again. The food and cleanliness just let it down too much for us. Beware of putting anything valuable in the aircraft hold through Malaga Airport. Baggage theft if rife there and we fell victim of it.

Room Tip: Pool view rooms have the piano bar music until 11pm. Other rooms overlook the train line!
1 Thank MrsP187056
Dear Guest,

Many thanks for taking the time and reviewing our hotel.

We are very sorry to hear the comments you made regarding our food and cleaning standards because they are two of the areas we work very hard to maintain.

I am not sure if you are aware but our pool area is cleaned early in the morning before it opens at 10am and then constantly throughout the day until 9pm.

We appreciate your honest feedback and will take it in board for the future.
Reviewed 14 July 2014 via mobile

Really great hotel staff really make this hotel. We had a few problems that were more effectively dealt with by the super friendly and hard working Spanish hotel staff than the English reps. This hotel is exactly what you would expect from a family hotel and we would be more than happy to return.

Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Sarah N
Dear Guest,

Many thanks for the kind words expressed in your review.

We are very happy to hear that you enjoyed your holiday.

We hope to see you again very soon.