Holiday Village
MS Alay Apartments(Benalmadena)
US$173
TripAdvisor
2,798 results
All reviewsfirst choicepiano barbeach clubfootball academykids clubwater parkmain poolwave poolcode brownsacross the bridgeswim academyswimming lessonsamerican dinerswim nappiesself cateringpirate shipentertainment team
Reviewed 31 July 2014

Having previously stayed the last two years at the Polynesia, part of the Holiday World group, we decided to try the Holiday Village down the road this year & all in all we all had a fantastic holiday, so much so my daughter was in tears leaving.

The room was manageable for our party of two adults & 3 children aged 12, 10 & 7. It was cleaned to an acceptable standard & we had no issue with dirty bedding or towels never being replaced. An issue was keeping the water from the shower contained within the shower cubicle due to a design flaw but this didn't disrupt or ruin our holiday in any shape or form.

The first few days we stayed at the hotel pool before deciding the beach club was more suited to our needs & this had the added bonus of not requiring to be up at silly o clock to claim a sunbed. Yes the beach club is accessed by a steep, twirly bridge but to be honest, walking back & forth between the hotel & there, sometimes 3 or 4 times a day to put/ get a child to/from the excellent kids clubs, was the only exercise we got.

I'm not much of a breakfast person but the rest of my family were happy with what's on offer. Lunch we had at the beach club & as last year, was my favourite meal of the day. Plenty of mussels & paella or stir fry and lots of choices of other meat/fish dishes. Dinner at night was a hit or a miss but I have managed to come home the best part of a stone heavier which must mean it was more of a hit!

I have read a few negative comments on the evening entertainment & I wholeheartedly disagree. We loved it every single night apart from our last night when we had a panto? In July? I found Rich & Ben the funniest double act which I'm sure wasn't supposed to happen & Paige, Charley & Emma all worked very hard. Thank you also to our fellow holidaymakers who took part in the shows & entertained the masses, you helped make it a holiday to remember.

• Stayed: July 2014
6  Thank R1FDC
hvcdsmanagement, Manager at Holiday Village, responded to this reviewResponded 1 August 2014

Dear Guest,

We are delighted to hear that you all had a great time.

We appreciate your kind words and positive feedback and will ensure all our team are informed of your review.

Many thanks and we hope to see you again in the future.

Reviewed 31 July 2014

Serious concerns over hygiene. There are not many prominently placed hand gel stations around the place, and certainly no prominent reminders to guests on the importance of hand washing. The snack bar had luke warm cheese and ham toasties, tuna and potato salad along with poor quality chicken nuggets, burgers and sausages. I didn't see anyone wash their hands. No wonder my two children had vomiting episodes and stomach cramps whilst they were there. I was unfortunate enough to have my iPhone 5s stolen from the poolside too. Look after your valuables. No one seemed too interested either. Considering it is a family focused holiday venue, there were a lot of bones in the chicken and meat. Be careful with small children as there are no notices regarding this. Despite this, my children had a fantastic time at the kids club. They were varied, regular and well organised. The rooms were very clean and the resort in general is very good. Over priced considering the quality of the food and the hygiene surrounding the handling and length of time food is made available for.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank bobobbob

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for reviewing our hotel.

As we are sure you are aware, we have prominent signage and hand sanitising gels at the entrances of our restaurants and also have gels at the entrances of the kid´s club.

We are sorry to hear that some members of your family were ill but there could be many reasons for this including change of climate, change of diet, very cold fizzy drinks, etc.

We appreciate the feedback and hope that you consider us for the future.

Reviewed 31 July 2014

We have stayed at the holiday village twice now - the first time in April this year and had such a great time that we booked the day we got back to go again in July. I am astounded by the bad reviews as all the staff were friendly and hotel is lovely. As for the hotel being noisy I have a 7 year old and a 1 year old and
never had any problems getting them to sleep cause of noise in the hotel. The entertainment staff are wonderful and work extremely hard to ensure everyone has a great time all the time - especially if your willing to relax a little and take part. As for the food I have quite a picky eater on my hands in the shape of my 7 year old and he never had any trouble finding something to eat and I have never suffered any problems with illness at all while there. I would highly recommend as both kids were catered for and loved it and would be going back for half term if it wasn't sold out already. As for the bad reviews on here I get the feeling that some people wouldn't be happy no matter what.

• Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank Nicola K

Dear Guest,

Many thanks for your kind words and positive feedback.

We are very happy to hear that you enjoyed both your holidays with us and it gives us some encouragement for the future.

We hope to see you again in the future.

Reviewed 31 July 2014 via mobile

Having visited 3 other holiday villages I would say this was the poorest of the 4. It wasn't awful, it just wasn't great. Many of the issues have already been covered in other reviews and I would say those rating this hotel 3 or less are giving a pretty accurate review.

Living space was small with the exception of the bathroom which was huge! Beds in main room seemed comfortable enough but the sofa bed was not. Our room had a large balcony but there was no drying rail for hanging swimwear or towels which was a bit of a pain.

Rooms were tidied daily ie beds made properly, worktops wiped down. Floors were most certainly not cleaned and felt gritty & dirty to walk on bare foot so we didn't! The bedding had holes as mentioned by others.

Breakfast was the best meal of the day but it went down hill from there! Quality of cooked food in the evening was poor. Salad bar was lovely and fresh. Always found something to eat but it was usually pizza/pasta/salad rather than eat the other offerings! Eating the same things became tedious. The food was cold! Every night, without fail! Only ate lunch at the Beach Club a couple of times and had salad/cold items which were fine. Desserts were very poor when compared with other HV experiences. Snack Bar food was poor quality and repetitive. Italian and Tex Mex restaurants slightly better, in that the food was hot, but not really anything to get excited about. The Italian being the better of the 2. Choice of drinks at the bar was sufficient but again in comparison to other HV's was below par for me. Outdoor bar queue particularly long in the evenings.

We didn't particularly like the Beach Club over the road so instead spent our time at the main pool which everyone enjoyed. First Choice staff were great. Kids Clubs, poolside entertainment & evening entertainment, they work around the clock and always with a smile.

In summary, we enjoyed our holiday despite the accommodation. I would not return to this hotel nor would I recommend it. If it's a holiday village you're looking for, try another one. If it's just an All Inclusive holiday you're looking for, there's better out there priced the same or less than this hotel.

Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank MrsD51

Dear Guest,

Many thanks for taking the time and reviewing our hotel.

We are sorry to hear that you weren´t happy with some aspects of the hotel´s services. We are always trying to improve and your feedback is valuable to us.

Thanks again and we hope that you consider us for the future.

Reviewed 31 July 2014

This was possibly the worst family holiday I have ever experienced. The hotel is beyond tired, and needs a serious face lift and update. Our room was more than adequate in size but felt like decor was from the 1980's and not that well cleaned. Our balcony was filthy with cigarette butts in the flower beds, and a very dirty outside table that you would not put anything near. Bathroom was big but poor quality and toilet seat stained. General cleanness around the hotel is average at best and they need more staff and resources to tackle such a big complex.

As for people coming here, if you don't have a tattoo then I'm not to sure its the place for you. In fact on our welcome meeting we were advised if anyone wanted info on the local tattoo shop then let them know. It felt like a mixture of Coronation Street, Phoenix Nights and Benefits Street rolled into one. A young Irish boy begged his mum to go to bed whilst she was drunk queueing for another late night drink, quite sad to watch. A fight in the bar one night added to the ambience.

The food was plentiful but quality at the poolside bar beggars belief, everything was of the cheapest quality and covered in fat. At the two main restaurants the food was acceptable but the surroundings felt like some form of mass canteen excursion. Too many people for one singular area and eating inside on a lower ground floor within four walls is not exactly a welcoming environment and so old school. No control from some parents on kids grabbing and handling food.

We dreaded the evenings as the noise and mayhem from some of the kids there was unbelievable. They would take to the corridors, lifts, staircase, atrium and pool side and run riot. Way after 1am we could still hear kids yelling, many I have to say were under 10 which was a worry. We complained on numerous occasions to staff about late night kids running around and excessive noise but it fell on deaf ears!! The lack of control and interest with some parents and their kids is shocking.

Why the reps had to yell into a microphone at the pool to introduce games or the next event was beyond me. It was painful, ridiculous and proved that they had poor training and little respect for the people there. Generally the evening entertainment was good though a bit repetitive.

The Beach Club where they have water slides and a wave pool was a joy as we could escape the mayhem, noise and enjoy the day. At least the Spanish people who came here added a bit of self respect to the place.

The cost of the holiday was way over priced for what you get and we were so glad to leave the Holiday Village and we will never ever return. I will never put my family through somewhere like that ever again and the idea of a family holiday is for the family not just for marauding kids. Go there at your peril!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
8  Thank Tony S

Dear Guest,

We are very sorry to hear that there were several elements of your holiday that you were not happy with.

We will use the feedback to look into improving what is in our hands. All feedback is appreciated both positive and constructive.