After reading the very varied reviews I was determined to go on holiday here with a totally open mind and be ready to get as much out of my holiday as I could. This turned out to be much harder than it should have been. There were so many little niggles (and big niggles!!) that it totally ruined our experience. I wont bore you with all the details but here are the things we found out and that will stop us ever coming here again......
1. Despite what we were told, you do NOT get into your room on arrival
2. Even if you have booked a baby pack it will not be waiting for you when you arrive. You have to pick it up (cot, buggy, highchair, EVERYTHING!) and ship it to your room on your own, and pay a further 30 euro deposit for the pleasure. This also applies if you arrive at 2am!!!
3. When you leave you have to lug it all back yourself to either the creche or the First Choice desk so they can check it before your deposit is returned, regardless of what time you leave!!
4. Lunch is in the beach club every day and its a 10 minute walk away. This might not annoy you but it will annoy your kids when you drag them out of the pool to hike 3 flights up a spiral walkway, across a bridge and up more steps to eventually get lunch!
5. Snacks at the pool bar are ridiculously unhealthy!!! You can get 1 kind of pasta on all inclusive and its with a basic tomato sauce. Anything deep fried seems to be plentiful!
6. If you want ice cream you have to go to the bar at the other side of the pool to where you get your snacks. Why?? NO IDEA!!!!
7. If you book creche sessions in the UK they are 90 minute sessions. BEWARE..they will tell you at the creche that you only actually get 60 minute sessions rather than the 90 minutes you have booked! I had to fight to get what I had paid for.
8. The rooms floor are FILTHY!!! The balcony is FILTHY!!!! We had to ask for the balcony to be cleaned each day (IT STILL WASNT!). Reception told my husband that they do have a huge problem with bird poo on the 4th and 5th floors. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!
9. First Choice are fabulous at selling you tickets to attractions and the entertainment team work really hard but if you have a problem with anything dont look to any of them for help. You have no chance!
10. Kids Clubs.....Fab for the 3yr+....AWFUL for anyone younger than that. The creche staff are just not interested to the point where one of the girls yawned in my face while she was asking me about my child!
On the plus side the restaurant staff are fabulous and you will be well taken care of at breakfast and dinner and the selection of food is pretty good too. The reception staff are really helpful and know their stuff. Unfortunately these things dont make it 4*. Its 3* on a good day. Oh and if you want to watch tv you have to get the remote control from reception! You are trusted with toaster, kettle etc but not a remote control!!
We met some lovely people here and our 3 year old loved kids club and the pool so it wasnt a total loss but it will ABSOLUTELY be our last trip with First Choice!!
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Booking.com, TripOnline SA, Agoda, Evoline ltd, Travel Republic (UK) and Cancelon so you can book your Holiday Village reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Holiday Village Benalmadena, Costa Del Sol
- Benalmadena Holiday Village