“RUINED BY FIRST CHOICE AND FILTHY ROOMS!”
Review of Holiday Village

Holiday Village
Ranked #18 of 45 Hotels in Benalmadena
Reviewed 18 September 2010

After reading the very varied reviews I was determined to go on holiday here with a totally open mind and be ready to get as much out of my holiday as I could. This turned out to be much harder than it should have been. There were so many little niggles (and big niggles!!) that it totally ruined our experience. I wont bore you with all the details but here are the things we found out and that will stop us ever coming here again......

1. Despite what we were told, you do NOT get into your room on arrival
2. Even if you have booked a baby pack it will not be waiting for you when you arrive. You have to pick it up (cot, buggy, highchair, EVERYTHING!) and ship it to your room on your own, and pay a further 30 euro deposit for the pleasure. This also applies if you arrive at 2am!!!
3. When you leave you have to lug it all back yourself to either the creche or the First Choice desk so they can check it before your deposit is returned, regardless of what time you leave!!
4. Lunch is in the beach club every day and its a 10 minute walk away. This might not annoy you but it will annoy your kids when you drag them out of the pool to hike 3 flights up a spiral walkway, across a bridge and up more steps to eventually get lunch!
5. Snacks at the pool bar are ridiculously unhealthy!!! You can get 1 kind of pasta on all inclusive and its with a basic tomato sauce. Anything deep fried seems to be plentiful!
6. If you want ice cream you have to go to the bar at the other side of the pool to where you get your snacks. Why?? NO IDEA!!!!
7. If you book creche sessions in the UK they are 90 minute sessions. BEWARE..they will tell you at the creche that you only actually get 60 minute sessions rather than the 90 minutes you have booked! I had to fight to get what I had paid for.
8. The rooms floor are FILTHY!!! The balcony is FILTHY!!!! We had to ask for the balcony to be cleaned each day (IT STILL WASNT!). Reception told my husband that they do have a huge problem with bird poo on the 4th and 5th floors. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!
9. First Choice are fabulous at selling you tickets to attractions and the entertainment team work really hard but if you have a problem with anything dont look to any of them for help. You have no chance!
10. Kids Clubs.....Fab for the 3yr+....AWFUL for anyone younger than that. The creche staff are just not interested to the point where one of the girls yawned in my face while she was asking me about my child!

On the plus side the restaurant staff are fabulous and you will be well taken care of at breakfast and dinner and the selection of food is pretty good too. The reception staff are really helpful and know their stuff. Unfortunately these things dont make it 4*. Its 3* on a good day. Oh and if you want to watch tv you have to get the remote control from reception! You are trusted with toaster, kettle etc but not a remote control!!

We met some lovely people here and our 3 year old loved kids club and the pool so it wasnt a total loss but it will ABSOLUTELY be our last trip with First Choice!!

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled with family
3  Thank yvie1976
There are newer reviews for Holiday Village

Reviewed 14 September 2010

All I can say is I do NOT know how anyone could slate this Holiday Village, we stayed for two weeks with our 5 year old son and it was excellent. The pools are fab, okay they are shut occasionally, well people should put swim nappies on their babies, it isn't rocket science! And folk would be complaining if they were left to swim with poo infested water!

Food was excellent, so much selection, beautiful fruit, lovely meat, fab puddings.

Staff were wonderful.

Accommodation was brilliant.

Facilities for children were the best, my 5 year old son was in pool, kids club, activity heaven, he absolutely loved it.

If you are moaning about this place then you must have stayed in some pretty luxurious places before, that is all I can say.

We are going back next year definitely. Excellent.

1  Thank LoopyJo80
Reviewed 13 September 2010

We had heard so much about this place and checked out the website and it looked fabulous - well in fairness it was "nice" but thats about it - we went self catering and didn't realise how far it was from civilisation so that took 10 euro in and our of belamadena each evening - the pool area was split up for the kids club and swimming lessons so we only had either end of use. there was a sign on the beach club that said a price for adults and children so we assumed we had to pay and it was nearly the end of our two week holiday before we realised we could actually use it. we couldnt get beds and the slide had been closed the two days we went over - my daughter was very disappointed as she didn't get to use it at all!!!! the kids club was second to none - we had to convince our daughter to go into it and they we couldnt get her out of it - they had activities from 10 in the morning until 11 at night - best staff ever!!!! the alcohol was overpriced for the self catering people and the food made me thankful that we hadn't wasted our money on going all inclusive!!!! our worst moment was when we got called over by the two women in the lobby of the hotel who wear white all the time - they offered loads of goodies and ask that you have a look at the other hotels so that you might book one of them the following year - we stupidly went over and had a look - the lady we were dealing with couldnt' have been nicer but we were hooked into it and 1000 was taken from my credit card there and then - they even got a driver to bring me back to my hotel for my card from the safe!!! there was supposed to be a set up with barkleys bank who gave a loan to irish people wishing to get involved - when we got home we were told that our loan hadn't been sanctioned and that our 1000 was gone as it was non-refundable!!!! We are at the moment trying to get this money back as it was their fault and not ours and the loan was refused. I still can't believe that we were both stupid enough to fall for such sham. A free dinner and we're handing over our credit card - oh my god - PLEASE DONT FALL FOR THEM - KEEP AWAY FROM THE WOMEN WEARING WHITE AND OFFERING FREE GIFTS!!!! it ruined my well earned summer holidays and turned out to be very costly in the end - please dont even go for the free gifts - its just not worth taking the chance!!!!!

A poor irish lassy!!!!

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 9 September 2010

this was our second holiday to this hotel this year. my daughter and i got stuck in april with the volcano and enjoyed the stay so much we decided to head back with my partner and daughters friend for another week. i cant really add much to everyone elses reviews. it is what it is - a large friendly hotel catering fo the british market (though there were a few spanish families about). the food is as good (or bad) as you make it. we all love sea food and relished in the prawns cooked fresh for you, the razor clams were a new thing to try and i love all the tuna, sardine based salads. the children (both 15) enjoyed the many pasta choices and if you cant find anything to eat then you really should not be abroad!! the pools were well maintained and the life guards are plentiful and alert. the reason inflatables are not allowed is so they have a clear view of all the water just in case as there are many smaller children on holiday. our girls used the pools/water park most days and we hired the large inflatable rings a few times and they stayed in them most of the day. if your heading to the cable cars (scared me to death but partner and kids loved it) take sunhats/cream sunshades etc as no where to cover while watching bird show. get a taxi up to entrance (10 euro) as its a far climb from public bus - dont listen to hotel rep you cant queue jump if you buy tickets from them and only save 50cent per ticket - buy up there. magnificent views once up. lovely beach a 10 min walk to right of elephant round about, 4.50 euro for very good beds, umbrellas - look for first one as you go down steps, free buckets and spades, suncream, towels etc to save you carrying it all. i have walking problems but was able to manage slope and steps ok. all in all good holiday and my daughters friend has made her mum book for next year for their family!! relax and enjoy its what you go on holiday for.

Reviewed 8 September 2010

Holiday Village great and fantastic, resort Yes I will be going again but................................. I stayed from 5 July to 11 July, the only thing that spoilt it, is Time sharing agency, an office in the actual hotel. They are a group of people that are trained to get your attention by saying "if you would like to know more about the hotel/resort come and we shall give you an hour and a half tour of the resort" This leads to chatting, chatting, laughing and more chatting then they introduce Polynesia Hotel they show one Luxure Suite......Then you are invited to their Offices and there is where they try to buy you off. Oh they have trained staff to take care of your children so you have there full attention. They tried convincing my husband In which this lead to an arrgument between us. This was such a bad experience.

Mrs J Lane

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank Janice028
Reviewed 7 September 2010

we stayed at the holiday village from the 22nd of aug to the 5th sep. on reading some reviews i was a bit worried what to expect no need to have worried how anyone can knock this place is beyond me maybe it could do with a lick of paint in places but we were not there to look at the decor.The hotel was huge with plenty for the kids to do my boys aged 8 and 5 were never bored.security was very good so you were never worried about if they wandered off.All staff were very friendly the entertainements team tash liam and all the other guys deserve a medal they worked allday long to keep everyone happy the kids loved them aswell The food was nice different choice throughout our stay you would never starve all in all we had a fab time and would recommend this hotel to anyone with kids. for all those people who moan about trivial things need to lighten up and enjoy yourselfs a holiday is what you make of it.

2  Thank myboysstaffordshire
Reviewed 7 September 2010

My husband, me and our two daughters aged 13 and 10 visited the Holiday Village for a week at the end of August. Most of the facilities have been well covered so I won’t ramble on for days and will just cover the things that affected me!
Beat the check in queues - We paid the extra £36 for a taxi transfer and checked in straight away, with none of the queues that others have mentioned. The downside was that they booked the taxi for the return trip half an hour before the coaches (7:55am!) – what was that all about?!! LOL!
The kitchen didn’t have tea or coffee pots plus a tiny kettle, so if you like an early morning cup of fresh coffee (like me) I suggest you bring your own “equipment”. You are treated to BBC1, BBC2, ITV, CBBC etc on the TV. You need get the remote control from reception to use the TV, so if you want a break from English TV, tell the kids the telly is broken and give the remote a miss!
The beach club opens strictly at 10am when it was a bit like the first day of the Harrods sale! The rubber rings for the slides cost 6 euros a day to hire plus a large deposit. They can be a real pain to lug about, so don’t waste your money on getting more than one. The sunbeds in the beech club were very comfortable and adjustable, with plenty of shade.
The sunbeds around the main pool are not adjustable and I found them quite uncomfortable, especially when I wanted to read my book. Some people did get up very early to reserve sunbeds, but as they jet wash the whole area at 9am, they would end up with damp towels (that’s karma!) The hotel shop sells water squirters and they were a real nuisance and should have been banned along with all the inflatables (baa, humbug!!!)
There was a serious problem of a baby (at least I hope it was!) pooing in the pool and it had to be closed for nearly the whole afternoon while it was cleaned and extra chlorine added, ruining the afternoon’s fun for everybody (you know who you are and what everybody was saying about you!) This then happened the following day in the beach club elephant pool (same baby? Who knows!) and that pool was still closed the following day! Seemed to me like they were trying to prove a point, but at least they were taking hygiene seriously I suppose.
The food in the restaurant was well cooked and on the surface there seemed to be a good choice. However, there was a very limited choice for vegetarians, one evening the vegetarian option was tortilla chips and cheese dip! Other nights there was no choice at all and even the salads were spiked with ham. Breakfast was lovely, my meat eating husband loved the sausages and I quote, “best ever on holiday!” I loved the Cava and orange juice and along with the smoked salmon and scrambled eggs made every day like Christmas day  The queue for breakfast at 9:45am is a sight to behold!
The evening entertainment team worked very hard but my children found it all a bit too childish, so we spent our evenings in the Piano bar which had live music every evening and much shorter queues for the bar. My daughter loved trampolines and go karts for the kids by the main stage, but these cost 2 – 3 euros a go and it can get expensive on what is supposed to be an AI holiday! The clubs for the under 8’s were great but the 9 to 15s were all lumped in together. Neither of my two liked this arrangement at all and refused to attend any club activities, probably making this our last Holiday Village holiday 

1  Thank MandyF