“Not wanting to put it down...”

Hotel Best San Diego
Ranked #48 of 94 Hotels in Salou
Newcastle upon Tyne, England, United Kingdom
“Not wanting to put it down...”
Reviewed 8 November 2013

Firstly when we booked our holiday we knew we were going out of season, the hotel was multi national, and that staffing was going to be at a premium. The hotel itself advertises as a 3 star establishment, and for me that is about right, it looks as if it's had it's fair share over the years and is in need of a bit of TLC here and there. But on the whole it's not an unpleasant hotel. The food on initial thoughts was thought to be bland and uninspiring (by another family) but this was the first night, the subsequent nights was found to be varied and with a chef doing chicken and fish dishes was well received.

However my main gripe was the entertainment (or rather lack of it), during the day the entertainment staff (1) was expected to cater for the multitude of multi-national patrons, the children (for which she did an excellent job).In one respect everyone seemed to be out doing day trips leaving Dorota to spend some time organising activities for the adults and children (for which was thoroughly enjoyable). However on an evening, it was advertised as a childrens disco at 9pm (bear in mind there were only 6 children during the whole holiday), if the kids weren't on the dance floor at 9pm prompt, then the Spanish dancing music was played (I don't begrudge the Spaniards this, as they were on holiday too) but I do feel, we were pushed put on the sidelines. I won''t go into the details of the 'window' incident when the 'Brits' sat outside while the dancing music was played and we wanted a window closed as it was so loud, the management let us down on that occasion.

The hotel itself however is nicely located to bus routes for Portaventura (use the little blue train bus), the beach (very clean) and has a chemist and doctor round the corner (literally).

The rooms could still do with the air con on in October (was mid 20's during the day), and on another note were always left in an immaculate condition

All in all, I would go back to Salou, would maybe go back to this hotel in another time of year for comparison, but initial expectations mean I wouldn't go back immediately.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Andy B
BESTHOTELS2013, Director Hotel at Hotel Best San Diego, responded to this review, 13 November 2013
Dear family,
Thank you very much for your time spends on the review of our hotel.
Please be assured that we take very seriously your comments, as they provide us the opportunity to improve our services.

Miguel Grabulosa
Hotel Manager.”

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (129)
devon,U.K
Reviewed 16 October 2013

Stayed at this hotel from 1st of October for a four days. Well the staff at the reception were great and even offered us choice of 3 another rooms as they didn't have one on high floor overlooking the pool I asked for. Entering the room I was a bit shocked how small and very very dated it was.There were 2 beds but they were double ones.Dont know why.They had taken most of the space in the room. But everything was clean. All hotels was been cleaned all the time.We were on the first floor overlooking the pool.I didn't like to be low down but actually it was fine. We had a half board. I must say the food was amaizing. A lot of choices.The dining room was spacey and the staff great.There were Russians and English,spanish,french.The swimming pool area was great.Plenty of sunbeds and wery spacious. Beer at the pool bar a pint 2.60 euro.Which we thought was not bad at all. Happy hour is from 8-9pm. 2for1except caffee. The biggest problem was the air con in the room is on from the middle of may till middle of September ONLY !!. It was unbearable.We slept with the balcony door open ( take some mosquito electric repellent) and before bed time I opened the room door to create some draft from the coridor.The Victoria bar across the road was going on till 5-6 am but it didn't wake me up once. I finded atmosphere in this hotel very easy going and relaxing.I didn't feel like that before. The food was great (only had that good food in the Vil.la Romana hotel in Salou) and the location is great. If u don't mind the run down décor and no aircon-I would recommend this hotel strongly.

Room Tip: The pool room will be hot if not air con but u can watch whats going on and the entertainment.The ro...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank dagmar m
BESTHOTELS2013, Director Hotel at Hotel Best San Diego, responded to this review, 22 November 2013
Dear M. Dagmar, we appreciate very much your visit in the Hotel Best San Diego and that you have enjoyed an excellent holiday. We take note of your comments and promise to improve day by day.
We like to see you again and will welcome you personally,

best regards.

Best Hotels San Diego
n.ireland
Reviewed 12 October 2013 via mobile

We said last year we would not return to this hotel again, but decided to give it another go its a clean hotel with friendly staff but they turn there air con off in mid september and temperatures still hit the high 20s which made nights and afternoons very uncomfortable, food is always nice at this hotel with plenty of choice the rooms are very dated and in need of updating. Reception staff where always polite and friendly we where travelling in 3 separate groups and wanted to be on same floor and they sorted this for us and gave us pool views with no extra charge. One of our group was staying on her own the single room was terrible and they upgraded her free of charge. Unfortunately I dont think we will be staying at this hotel again its got such potential to be a fantastic hotel in a great location but lots of work needed. Maybe visit again someday the only thing that made this hotel for us was the victoria bar across the street a must visit people great atmosphere and great staff we will definately be back in salou in the near future .

• Stayed September 2013
2 Thank kerryjayne
Dear Jayne Kerry, we like to thank you for your stay at our hotel. We will improve on comments mentioned, so we suggest that you return next year and live it personally. We believe that the situation of the Hotel San Diego is excellent.
Hoping to see you again and greet you personally,

I remain, yours faithfully,

Pontypool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 October 2013

My friend and I stayed at The San Diego from 23rd Sept to 30th Sept and was half board.
The staff were friendly, the location was excellent and the pool area was nice. The room was relatively clean but our room was awful! The electric wires were exposed because the casing had come off, you couldn't have a bath because the area around the plug hole was all cracked and the water kept on leaking through and the bars on the balcony was quite loose.
The food was ok but they had the same thing every night and it was no good if you were a vegetarian because the pizza, pasta and rice dishes all had meat in them which resulted in me just having fries and salad for three of the nights and we eat out in the evening for the rest of the holiday. They did have a very good selection at breakfast though.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Wools19
BESTHOTELS2013, Director Hotel at Hotel Best San Diego, responded to this review, 26 October 2013
Good morning Mr./Mrs. Wools, I have read your comments about your stay in the Hotel Best San Diego. I assume that you not received all the information from the hotel, for example: If you had some defects in the room, there is a maintenance service to repair this; in the buffet there is a wide choice of vegetarian dishes for vegetarian people, marked with a V, and you can have all of this information through the reception or myself. I propose you, that if you decide to come back, contact me, and I will assure you and excellent holiday. Waiting for your news, I remain, your faithfully,

Llanelli, Wales, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 October 2013

Havent long come back from the san diego hotel, my wife and I had a great time.the hotel was good clean and tidy rooms were clean fresh towels every day.we had a room with a pool view(107) and it was overlooking the entertainment in the evenings, so we only had to sit on the balcony to watch it.food was good plenty to choose from.staff were very friendly and helpful.the location was very good and plenty to do, barcelona well worth a visit.all in all a very good and enjoyable holiday.would recomend this hotel to anybody.we may be returning next year.thanks best san diego.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Peter D
Dear Mr. Peter D.,
We are very pleased to read your opinion about the Hotel Best San Diego, and that you have spent an excellent holiday with us. When you decide to come back next year, we suggest you to advise us upon your arrival. In the meantime, we wish you and family all the best.

Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 October 2013

Just returned from2 weeks at san Diego,the hotel is in a good location just off the main strip,the food is very good,staff are very helpful they even made my daughter a birthday cake and sang happy birthday,it's very clean,entertainment was ok,the only downsides to this hotel was the noise from the Victoria night club from across the road which does keep you awake as it goes on every night till 6am,also the other problem is the very bad mannered Russians,if you fancy a change uncle Sam's American diner is excellent,tarragona and Barcelona are good places to visit ,i wouldn't visit this hotel again because of the noise from across the road which is a shame because the staff do a good job here

Room Tip: Take earplugs with you
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
BESTHOTELS2013, Director Hotel at Hotel Best San Diego, responded to this review, 21 October 2013
Dear family,
We appreciate very much your opinion on tripadvisor and that your holiday in general was fine for you. About the noise from the Victoria Pub you can allways call trecepcion desk and we will contact immediately the Local Police, and the second or request a change to another room. If you decide to come back, we assure you that we can arrange this situation.
yours faithfully.

Best Hotels San Diego
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 September 2013

Would give this hotel a big miss, was not very clean and more like a 1 star than a 3 star hotel. It is in a great need og a refurbishment. Staff were not very friendly and the standard of food was not good at all. There was no night life at all to be found. The whole resort was not good at all

Room Tip: If you do go to this hotel do not take 523 as un highgenic
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Dear Mr./Mrs. Kerry L,
First of all i like to thank you for your review but also that I am very surprised about your opinion, I suggest that in the future if you are disappointed about something, contact the hotel manager, and I am sure that he will arrange the situation. I propose you to come back and I assure you a perfect holiday in the Hotel Best San Diego.

Kind regards

Best San Diego

Travellers are raving about these Salou hotels