“very nice break”
Review of Sol Costa Daurada

Sol Costa Daurada
Ranked #21 of 93 Hotels in Salou
Reviewed 22 April 2014

My partner and I have just returned from a 4 night stay in this hotel. The receptionist were polite and informative, rooms were very clean and food fantastic. Outside pool was quite cold.
I cannot see why people who have posted a review can moan at silly things.
Thanks sol costa daurada.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank andy pelford p
There are newer reviews for Sol Costa Daurada

Reviewed 21 April 2014

Great hotel .. good food, great staff, clean and friendly. Great location for both Salou and port adventura theme park (had 2 great days there ) Great value for money but ruined by the 200 or more kids that turned up on our last few days .. they were on a football tournament and were spread about the hotel, we had very little sleep as they were running around the corridors and banging doors and shouting, playing football in reception and hogging the lifts ! Meal times were disgusting .. they were like vultures around the food .. filled their plates and hardly ate any of it .. a disgrace to the adults who were with them... they should be ashamed at their behaviour ! However the manger apologised to us and gave us a bottle of fizzy wine.. felt very sorry for the staff having to deal with them !

3  Thank UnhappyBristol
Reviewed 18 April 2014

Just returned and had a fantastic stay in this hotel, very family orientated with a lot of activities running day and night.
The buffet restaurant always had a great choice of food, staff were friendly and helpful.
I would recommend this hotel.

3  Thank carrier maggie m
Reviewed 16 April 2014

We stayed at the Sol Costa Daurauda between 6th and 13th April 2014. Our party consisted of two Adults and three young children, who wanted to enjoy an Easter break in the sun.

Firstly, I’d like to congratulate the hotel on the warmth of their staff. Never have I seen such a miserable bunch in my entire life. I’m sure that the front of reception staff would have been happier working in The Gulag and the glares you get for having three raucous children in the restaurant would have been hilarious if it were not so terrifying. Attempts to even speak Spanish were met with ‘Good Morning’ or ‘Good Bye’; I know the English aren’t renowned for their linguistic skills, but at least we tried.

The food was poor. I like Spanish food and was disappointed to find that the majority was coated in a thick layer of oil. I also like greasy food, but why use that amount of oil? I can only surmise that the hotel believed a simple way of eliminating the guests was via the slow onset of heart disease.

The outdoor swimming pool is seasonal, so it didn’t open for the first few hot days. Instead, you had to use the indoor swimming pool and Jacuzzis, which in itself is not necessarily bad, the thing that I took exception to was the unattractive swimming caps we had to purchase at three euros each. The reason for this is unclear; perhaps to ensure the hotel guests look ridiculous, but definitely a money maker for the hotel.

The event which topped it all, however, was my friend having belongings taken from her bag during the children’s entertainment in the evening. When she complained to reception staff, she was informed by one particular lady that as she had worked there for fifteen years, she knew that the police would not come to the hotel, my friend was then given directions to the police station and was expected to make her own way there with two young children; no transport was provided and no assistance given.

To conclude, this was a disappointing hotel, good customer service has the potential to either make or break a holiday and this was in short supply throughout our stay. I would not go back and I can only surmise that the four or five star reviews have been made up by staff or friends of staff.

Positive aspects: It was very clean and not far from Portaventura Theme Park.

Recommendations: Make sure you eat all your dinner and don't make eye contact with staff.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
7  Thank Claire D
Reviewed 16 April 2014

Stayed here for a week in the first week of the Easter holidays. Being Easter you think all the facilities would be open....NO!!! The outdoor pool was closed even though it was warm enough to sunbathe around it-what a tease for children. You could go to the indoor pool but was compulsory to buy a swimming cap at 3 euros each-fine but who wants to stay inside all day when you are on holiday? Also there are 2 jacuzzis next to the pool but no under 16's allowed- another tease for younger children! The outdoor bar area was closed, the snack bar was closed & the free shuttlebus they advertise was not operating. The response from the staff was everything opens on the 11th of April- common sense and good customer relations should prevail here and this should be advertised on the hotel's website so people can make an informed choice of whether to stay here with limited facilities before booking. This was only the start- there are thieves opererating at this hotel. My purse was stolen from my handbag out of the bar area. On reporting this to reception I encountered the most unsympathetic, miserable response ever. They could not give a damn and would not help to report it to the police. We had to walk 2km to the police station each way with young kids a tow and would not help us to get into town to try and get some emergency money. The purse was eventually returned to reception (24 hours later-minus all the cash- the thief must have developed a conscience!!) but failed to inform me until I enquired the following day. Good customer relations there then!
The staff in the restaurant seem to have an allergy to children and their faces frozen as I did not see one smile or make you feel welcomed. The only good thing I can honestly say is that the maids do an excellent job on cleaning your room and work hard. Think twice before booking this 'family friendly' hotel and make sure your money is attached to some body part otherwise it will be gone.

2  Thank Babzy75
directoracalidad, Manager at Sol Costa Daurada, responded to this reviewResponded 24 April 2014

Dear Madam, in the first place we wanted to apologize for the bad experience you lived during your recent visit to our establishment.From the moment that you reported to us the following morning the facts, our receptionist ms. Natsaha investigated what happened on the disappearance of the wallet by asking the waiters who worked that night in the bar and the maids who cleaned the room the next morning. None of them had seen your wallet and we have full confidence in our staff. As you asked we called the police to confirm if there was a possibility that you could make a denounce from the hotel, while the protocol here in Spain says that you should go to the police station in order to denounce.
We have no notice from you that your wallet appeared so we would be grateful If you like to inform us where and how your wallet appeared to take possible measures in this regard.We feel very sorry about the inconveniences this situation caused you.Please contact us

Reviewed 14 April 2014

My partner and I chose to stay here on a half board basis for our first holiday together in October 2013. We chose it was it had good reviews on tripadvisor and I have to say, they were spot on.

I have dietary requirements and my partner has Crohns, and there was not a single night that either of us could not find something to eat from the buffet. There was different foods/themes each night, and you never had to wait a long time to get seated.

The hotel was very clean, our room was lovely and the only criticism about the hotel is the 'double bed' was a twin room with the beds pushed together and nothing securing them together. I had to tie the legs of the feet together to stop them from splitting down the middle!

The hotel is a short walk away from Port Aventura and ideally placed between the theme park and the beach in Salou.

We would definitely return to this hotel! :0)

Room Tip: Avoid rooms above the restaurant - the late night entertainment can be very loud!
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Craggit
Reviewed 10 April 2014 via mobile

We were here last year and are back. It appears that the hotel is just waking up from a winter break. But the staff are great and helpful and it is a good break. We are half board and arrived after the evening meal had finished (we knew this would the the case) reception imeadiately said you can have lunch one day to make up. Much better than the normal hard luck.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family