“Brilliant family friendly hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Ohtels Belvedere

Ohtels Belvedere
Ranked #13 of 94 Hotels in Salou
“Brilliant family friendly hotel”
Reviewed 23 July 2014 via mobile

I'm just back from our family holiday and must say that after our stay at the belvedere hotel (returning again from 2013) we were not disappointed. Again I review this hotel 5stars all the staff were very friendly, the rooms were clean... Fresh towels and rooms cleaned every day.
We went half board so breakfast and dinner included didn't disappoint, fresh pancakes and omelettes were made continually throughout the breakfast period, fruit smoothies and fruit juice as well as coffee was all included.
Dinners were also as good, with fresh steak made while you wait also pizza made(to your preference) while you wait as well as a huge array of buffet choice from cheese and pickles to salad and cold meats, to curries,fish,chicken potatoes,chips and just about anything else you could ever want.definitely something for everyone..... One small criticism I could say was there's not too much variety in the hot meals servers for my vegetarian daughter.... So if we return next year, I would be pleased to see a little more variety for vegetarians.
The pool is a good size and plenty room for everyone even when its busy.
We didn't really spend any time around the hotel during the evening entertainment so can't comment but I'm sure it would be good.
Perfect location too PortAventura theme park is only a 15minute walk one way and the beach is a 10minute walk the other way,lots of shops and market stalls on way to the beach too.
All in all a brilliant stay at the belvedere again this year, if we return to Salou next year then it will definitely be another stay at the Belvedere hotel.

• Stayed July 2014
3 Thank Portaventuraaddict
Antonio P, Director Hotel at Ohtels Belvedere, responded to this review, 24 July 2014
Dear family,

Thank you for your stay, we are glad we were able to fulfill your expectations for the second visit too, we will seriously consider your comment about extend the existing vegetarian options. It would be a pleasure for us to welcome you back for the third time.

Kind regards

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (221)
Birmingham
Reviewed 22 July 2014 via mobile

Could you please reply with the hotel's email address as we are coming in September (again as we loved it do much last year) and would like to ask for a couple of questions about rooms and views,

Thanks in advance.

Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
Antonio P, Director Hotel at Ohtels Belvedere, responded to this review, 23 July 2014
Dear guest,

It's nice to hear from you that you are coming back this September, we look forward to welcome you again.

Unfortunately i can not provide the email address as per tripadvisor terms and conditions policy, but if you want to contact us you will find the way using contact access in our oficial web site in the net which i can not provide to you too.

thank you in advance for your understanding

Huddersfield
Reviewed 21 July 2014

Me and my friend stayed at this hotel at the beginning of July for a week this year. Previously, I had read all the reviews on tripadvisor so I was preparing myself for the worst! However when we got to the hotel most of my fears began to disappear. When we arrived we found our room wasnt ready till 12.30pm so we had a wait for just over an hour. We lounged outside and had a drink from the cafe whilst we waited. The staff there were friendly.

When we got into our room we found it had 2 double beds in it pushed together , a small balcony with table and chairs and a bathroom with a bath. There was also plenty of hanging space and storage for two people. There was a hairdryer in the bathroom as well. Our room was situated near the stage and we had a fab view of the evenings entertainment. One word of warming this hotel caters mostly for families with young kiddies so be prepared for a lot of screaming and shouting and 'dive bombing' in the pool , also the evening entertainment goes on till around midnight so if you want sleep and you are close to stage there's no point trying till after midnight. If you are young people like us I wouldn't really recommend staying here unless you don't mind kids of course but me and my mate wern't too fussed as we spent most of our time away from the hotel or drinking on the balcony. If you are bringing kids here I think it would be great as there is kiddie entertainment all day but one thing i noticed is the animation team mostly spoke in spanish, french russian etc and sometimes the english spoken was a bit hard to understand so just be warned.

We didnt really have any problem with reception staff , the only one 'incident' was when we had a problem with our room , we blew a fuse so nothing electrical worked so we went to speak to someone with blond hair on reception and we asked her how long it would be till a repairguy comes to room and her answer was a bit snotty but we got over it because the guy came within 20-25 mins and he was gorgeous too! win win ;)

We had maid service in our room every day , quite often we wanted a lie in so we stuck a 'do not disturb' sign up on door and when we left our room we would take it down. Our beds were made every day, we had the choice of fresh towels and bathmats and there was plenty of toilet roll. The pool area was adequate, however we only went to it once because there was too many 'dive bombing'kids. There were plenty of sunloungers too, with plenty of people getting up at the crack of dawn to reserve their places round pool. The spa area was not bad , there is a tiny area with gym equipment but the best bits the jacuzzi, steam room and sauna- bliss!

Right we stayed half board so we got our breaky and evening dinner included in our price. The food was good , there was so much choice! It was all buffet style so you just help yourself .My advice here is don't make it your mission to try everything on the first night! pace yourself because you will find the food is pretty much the same style every night. at breakfast they made fresh pancakes every day and in the evening there was fresh salads, plenty of fruit , icecream meat, veg , chips the list is endless! The atmosphere in the restaurant is very lively , my friend found some of the guests a bit rude ie pushing into the line , barging past you without apologising etc but we didn't let it ruin our holiday, as this is something which the hotel cannot be responsible for. No idea what lunch time was like , we ate out. The guys in the restaurant were nice too, very friendly.

This hotel is in a fabulous location for Portaventura, only a 20 minute walk one way. The beach is a ten minute walk away which is absolutely gorgeous. We got a paroles and mats for the beach for less than ten euro from the local supermarkets oh and alcohol as well. There is a supermarket close by and plenty of restaurants on the way to the beach and along the Salou beach coastline. There are some fountains along the coastline too and one night there was some street entertainment which was pretty good. The shopping is amazing too plenty of souvenir shops as well as clothes shops. There's also an official Barcelona football shop too. There are good links to other towns such as Tarragonna (which is so pretty) the bus fare was approx 3 euros one way. There are plenty of pubs , bars and clubs but just be warned the prices of alcohol goes up the closer you are to beach. I recommend going to the Harry Potter bar at the beginning of the night they do good drinks and are family friendly - they even do a quiz and bingo every night !

We also did a city tour of Barcelona with Thomspons and we also went to Portaventura which was wicked ! The only thing Id say about Barcelona is try and visit it in the evenings and on weekends as that's when Las Rambalas really comes alive filled with street entertainment , stalls etc.

We had a fantastic stay in Salou and really you do get what you paid for - just make the most of it :)

Room Tip: If you want to sleep get a room facing the pool, if you dont mind noise till about 12midnight get a...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
7 Thank Reenie23
Antonio P, Director Hotel at Ohtels Belvedere, responded to this review, 22 July 2014
Dear couple,

Thank you for choosing our hotel for your holidays. We are absolutely happy with your satisfaction, We are glad you found optimal our price/ quality relation.

We wish you a nice summer, hoping to see you back next year

All the best
Lincoln, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 July 2014

My boyfriend and I stayed here for a holiday traveling a bit around Spain. Despite other reviews we found the staff to be incredibly friendly with a great understanding of English (and I think it's ridiculous that other reviewers are complaining about the language barrier!! How many hotels in Britain learn multiple languages to accommodate the guests??? not many. If you're in a foreign country, learning the basic phrases in that language is courtesy, in my opinion). Anyway, we got on fine speaking in English and very broken Spanish to the staff.

Our room was lovely and clean, the breakfast and dinners were always great with plenty of choice which varied with each night.

The hotel is also within walking distance of the beach and Portaventura, it's a lovely stroll to either :)

We will definitely be back on our next visit to Salou!!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank JoGrisaffi1
Antonio P, Director Hotel at Ohtels Belvedere, responded to this review, 19 July 2014
Dear couple,

Thank you for choosing Belvedere and sending your comments, Whole hotel staff is satisfied with the positive feeling you have about your visit.

We hope to see you soon

Reviewed 17 July 2014

I have just returned from a weeks holiday at the Belvedere Hotel and thoroughly enjoyed my stay along with my 18 year old son and his friend. Having read the good tripadvisor reviews beforehand it confirmed my decision to book this hotel.
Having a room on a high level floor, over looking the pool was what was recommended and therefore this was one of my preferences when booking. However, arriving very late at night we had been allocated first floor rooms overlooking the stage area, of which once I took a look at them, was not happy at all so straight away went to Reception (taking a copy of my booking requests with me.) The staff that were on that night were extremely helpful and once they had seen my booking details were quick to remedy the situation and we were offered two other rooms on the fourth floor over looking the pool. I was very happy with this and we moved rooms the next day with no problem at all. ( The first rooms we were offered did have double sized beds so we were slightly disappointed when the twin rooms we ended up in, had only single beds but this was to be expected really and can't complain.)

I had booked half board and there was always a variety of different food both in the morning for breakfast and for evening meal. Breakfasts consisted of cold meats/cheese/cereals fresh fruit/pastries/toast/croissants and cooked bacon, eggs, sausage, beans etc. Fruit juices, tea and coffee. In the evening there was always plenty of salad, pasta dishes, potatoes aswell as some kind of fish and meat (even had beautiful chunks of veal and duck) and allsorts of different vegetables. There was also more simpler food items such as chicken burgers, nuggets, scampi, chips.
My son has an allergy to nuts so I needed to find out where the food came from, how it was cooked etc so on my first visit for breakfast I spoke to the friendly gentleman that greeted us every morning with a smile , who then introduced me to the manager who then took me to the head chef! Fantastic...I couldn't have been happier. Infact, I have had worse treatment in the UK, when eating out, than I did at this hotel. My mind was completely put at ease having discussed the options regarding meals and desserts in particular. Very, very helpful.

I had no problem with ANY of the staff at all. Receptionist Maria and others were always very pleasant. The housekeepers cleaned our rooms well enough, changed sheets and towels, replaced loo rolls and emptied bin in bathroom. I also noticed some staff cleaning the windows throughout the week we were there......

There is a lovely pool and plenty of sunbeds to use. Outside bar and seating area all kept very clean and tidy. There is a well organised event programme for children which takes place at various times throughout the day (shown on a big notice board inside) and the team of guys running it are fabulous. The kids loved them and it was funny to watch them do the dance routines poolside. During our stay there was water polo at 5pm for half an hour on 4 days of the week, of which my son took part in and was also good to watch.

My only criticism of this hotel would be the spa/gym. It really needs more working equipment and perhaps made a 'child free zone'. The jacuzzi nearly always had 2 or 3 children in there and it wasn't really a place to relax. Needs modernising and making more of a peaceful retreat perhaps with some gentle music playing.

I am a person who likes peace and quiet so because of the childrens entertainment it wasn't always like that......BUT it is a family hotel therefore it was expected so I have no complaints in that area.

Overall, we had a thoroughly enjoyable experience at the Belvedere and I would definately go again.

Incidently, the bustling lively town of Salou is fabulous especially when lit up at night. Beach is an easy 10 minute walk away. Great supermarket Michaelangelos nearby. We took a trip out to Nou Camp Stadium for 35euros including transport and guide there and back (Busplanna in centre) also kids went to Portaventura 15 min walk away. Prices vary but I would definately wait until you are in Salou before buying tickets and get them when over there. At the moment, there is an offer on that if you buy 3 packets of sweets ( and show voucher on it) you can get a 20 euro discount on entry. Again prices vary but one day is 45euros....we managed to get an offer at a different sales office of 50euros for 2 days.

Great location, great beach, great hotel.....great restaurants and bars. I preferred the spanish ones but the kids liked the english ones (The Grapevine in particular) .....

Blah...blah...blah...I could go on and on.....:)

Room Tip: High floor room overlooking the pool
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Marion S
Dear Madam,
Thank you for spending your holidays with us, it was a pleasure to meet you personally and have the opportunity to help you and know your point of view about our hotel in first hand . We are glad you enjoyed your stay in Belvedere and we were able to fulfill your expectations in many respects. Regarding the spa we hope to include some improvements on it to make it more attractive for the next season.
We wish you a nice summer, looking forward to welcome you again next year.
Peebles, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 July 2014

Could management help me with a few questions? We are arrive Sunday night at approx 9.30, we do not require dinner - is it possible to request a pack lunch one day instead? Is it possible to request a non-smoking room as my child has asthma. Can we also request a pool view room? And finally do the men have to wear long trousers at dinner? I look forward to your reply.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank SarahwC8806EL
Antonio P, Director Hotel at Ohtels Belvedere, responded to this review, 14 July 2014
Dear guest,

We are glad you booked with us your upcoming holidays, we wish you a nice stay. In reference to your requests as per TripAdvisor conditions we are not able to answer you trough this web page, we kindly ask you to send your requests via our official web page.
Thanks so much
Looking forward to welcome you
Hertfordshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 July 2014

My girlfriend and I may be fairly inexperienced abroad, but our idea of a quality hotel was far different to this supposed '3 star hotel'.

The first subject of scrutiny has to be the staff. Being english, and knowing that this hotel 'welcomes' (although i use that term lightly) many english people per year, I expected some way of communicating with the staff of the Belvedere a little easier, other than having to use sign language and taking ridiculous amounts of time just to explain the smaller issues that arose on our holiday. For instance, it took a good couple of minutes just to explain to one of your staff members what toilet roll was, and that we hadn't received any from the maids who are supposed to refill it. (A NOTE OF CAUTION TO ANYONE BOOKING WITH THE BELVEDERE, these maids may try to enter your room at any time; we were sleeping one morning and they tried to enter our locked room way before 9 in the morning. Your 'do not disturb' signs that you constantly go on about (which by the way we were not told about because half your staff cannot communicate sufficiently) should not be necessary that early in the morning, it is ridiculous and we were given the shock of our lives. If your hotel staff all speak decent enough english as your previous replies to certain reviewers claim, then why did it take an age just to explain the simplest of problems. However, this was just a small issue involving the language barrier compared to the issues with our room. Prior to our holiday, we had emailed your hotel asking for a pool view which is advertised as a lot quieter than a room on the other side of the hotel. IT DEFINITELY IS NOT AND FOR THAT REASON ALONE I RECOMMEND THAT NOBODY VISIT THE BELVEDERE UNLESS THE HOTEL STAFF HAVE BEEN POLITE ENOUGH TO REPLY TO ANY EMAILS YOU SEND WITH REQUESTS, WHICH THEY PROBABLY WON'T. We were not given a reply, and so arrived in Salou with the hope that this had been given to us. Myself and my girlfriend suffer from quite bad headaches/migraines, and we were given by far the worst room possible. We were directly beside the stage, and every day, from very early until very late at night, we were bombarded with unnecessarily loud music which kept us awake at night and forced us to stay out of the hotel for as long as we could during the day, which should not be the case. The same four or five songs were played on constant repeat, and we were forced to go to reception and complain. I told various staff members on many different occasions (at least 3 or 4 times) that we could not sleep and it was disrupting our holiday to the point where we did not want to be in your hotel any longer. When i asked for a possible room change or some form of solution, your staff members had a very sarcastic tone and claimed that the hotel was totally booked up until a certain date, but everyday people left and others arrived and we were still not given a different room despite there being many people leaving, with time in between others arriving for us to move room. Closing the door and putting the air conditioning on made very little difference.
The staff were also very rude at dinner and breakfast; when in the queue for dinner, i was wearing a top and one of your staff members rudely pointed me out in front of everyone and told me to change it or i could not enter. Your clothing rules are on posters on the wall and i was not wearing anything that didn't satisfy your conditions. Yet your staff member still found it necessary to be rude and ask me to change; in some of your previous replies to other people's reviews, you seem to constantly say that your staff members work hard to give us the best possible experience, and are taught how to perform every job correctly and politely, yet half your staff members cannot raise a smile; Katy was so grumpy, and she took our plates before we were even finished eating on occasion.

I would like to recommend to you that you check in occasionally and see for yourself how your staff members are actually performing and treating customers, rather than just saying that they do everything brilliantly. Your claims about all of your staff speaking good english is simply false, because i spent a week there and did not have one conversation with them in which they understood what we were saying. They didn't even know enough english to explain to us how to turn the lights on or any other appliances in our room. Finally, when leaving we gave our room card into reception and instead of receiving a goodbye, or 'thankyou for staying at Belvedere', your staff simply said 'ok' and we left before our holiday was spoilt any further.

Also, the room itself was sufficient, the beds were of a very good size and it was good enough for what we wanted. However, the maids did not clean anything but the floor, the bed sheets and covers were not changed, despite your rule of changing them every 3rd night. We know that they were not changed because on two occasions, we were present in the room when the cleaning was taking place, and the sand we had in the bed from the first night after being at the beach remained all week. The bed covers were awful, we had to use blankets from the wardrobe. The view was not poolside, as we had to arch our neck just to see a bit of the pool. I would recommend a fridge that can be hired, as we could not get lunch to last the week or keep drinks cool. It was not a 3 star room.

The food was better than the room and much better than the staff. However, having to pay for drinks is appalling, and is not something that is easy to find out before you actually get to the hotel. Despite some of the food being undercooked, and my girlfriend being ill on the last couple of nights because of that, we managed to eat some of the food you offered, but i find it hard to believe that your food is of a 3 star standard, it seems more 2 star in my opinion, again despite what you write in response to other reviewers.

It is also very hard for me to read your replies to other reviews, as my experience at your hotel has told me the total opposite to what you claim. When you say that all of your staff are able to attend to any request (which my review would suggest otherwise), and when you talk about how other people enjoy the entertainment and loud music; it doesn't matter if we are the only people in your hotel who dislike the volume and lateness of the music, we still feel that as a hotel service you should be doing more to keep everyone happy. We know that hotels offer these forms of entertainment, but giving people the excuse that all hotels do it, as your staff members told us sarcastically, is not a solution and did nothing to improve our stay.
We were fully informed about the holiday and the hotel in general, and this is why we were so shocked and appalled to have these kinds of problems, which to make matters worse you could not resolve for us because you did not know what we were saying and seemed to have a generally bad attitude towards us.
I would strongly recommend that no one stay at the Belvedere, unless your idea of a good time is being unable to hear yourself speak, being prevented from sleeping, and feeling like you are not welcome. What was a lovely location and hotel in general, was hiding the true problems within.

Room Tip: Higher floors are the only place where you will be able to sleep properly, and many of the pool side...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Stefan-Parker
Dear guest,
Thank you for your comments again; everything was answered in my previous email and answers to all your comments were given so i guess this is not the place for any conversation, it is the place where you can post a review about our establishment and you did twice already.
We are sorry we did not fulfill your expectations.
Wish you a nice time