“Single mother.”

Ohtels Villa Dorada
Ranked #9 of 93 Hotels in Salou
Reviewed 21 August 2014

I stayed here in August with my ten year old daughter. It was our first holiday abroad with just the two of us so as you can imagine I was slightly apprehensive and rather stressed.

Good points:
There is 3 pools at the hotel, 2 outdoors and a beautiful cold pool inside.
We were half board and the food was plentiful and delicious. There is plenty of choice, even your fussy eaters will find something to their liking.
You really are only a few minutes walk to the centre and the bus stop to bring you to all the attractions is only a 2 minute walk away.
The people in the local shops outside the hotel are lovely and very helpful. I recommend the russian supermarket at the front of the hotel, the woman there has very little english but she is such a lovely woman and was very kind to my little girl giving her sweets and making her laugh. It is the little things that make someone special.

Bad points:
The room really did smell!! (I see another reviewer made the same point). The only way I can describe it politely is to say it smelled as if the room was filled with urine. It was disgusting. The cleaners were in every morning and they did their job but the smell just wouldn't go. My room number was 332.
The reception staff. Well what can I say, they are rude, ill mannered and have no business being the front of house in any hotel. I must say there was one woman that was lovely and I am sorry to say that I cant remember her name now, but the rest of them need to learn how to talk to people. Checking in was a nightmare. After travelling for 14 hours and arriving at the hotel I was stood at the reception desk for twenty minutes while the two ladies enjoyed their conversation laughing and ignored me. When I said excuse me to one of them she put her hand up to my face to shush me and carried on laughing with her co worker. When one of them finally decided to deal with me she was taking her time with checking us in. I asked her what the problem was and she replied that she couldnt find my room, obviously this didnt seem to bother her because she walked away and started a conversation with one of the other hotel workers from the bar. All in all, just to check in took about 45 mins!! Like I said, the reception staff are incredibly ill mannered.
The lifts. If you are anyway impaired and unable to use the stairs, this hotel is not for you. The lifts are are very slow and unreliable. They really could do with a service. One of the few times we actually waited for it to arrive, hopped on board and waited for the doors to close... and we waited... and we waited.. no the doors wouldnt close, but I rather that, than them not opening while i was in it. I went down to reception and told one of the girls that the lift was stuck on the third floor but because the reception staff have no manners she didnt even say thank you for telling me, she didnt say anything and just walked away. Charming.

I wouldnt recommend the hotel, but other than the staff and the smell, it was fine... but that is all, just fine. I wouldn't go back.

I hope this was some way helpful.

2  Thank Loulou2577
Eduard C, Hotel Manager at Ohtels Villa Dorada, responded to this reviewResponded 28 August 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review on the site following your recent stay with us.

We work hard to ensure a best service is provided to all our guests.

I do hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back on a future visit and please do not hesitate to contact us at any time if we can be of assistance.

Reviewed 21 August 2014

This is a very good 3* hotel. All the staff were very helpful, restaurant staff particularly so. The food was excellent with large variety of hot and cold dishes to suit every taste. My only complaint is that there were no diabetic desserts.
The hotel is on a hill about 10 minutes walk from the nearest beach (La Capenella) and about 15 minutes walk from the town centre with its broad promenade, fountains and wide stretch of sand.
We had two weeks 4 to 18 August.
Oh yes, at almost every meal some child broke a glass!

1  Thank johnfield70
Eduard C, Hotel Manager at Ohtels Villa Dorada, responded to this reviewResponded 22 August 2014

Dear Kent,

Thank you very much to post your feedback about your stay in Villa Dorada.

It is an excellent proposal to have a diabetic desserts corner, and I'll try to do it!!.

Don't hesitate to contact with us for further information. We hope to see you again if you come back to Salou!

Reviewed 20 August 2014

Myself and 3 others stayed at the hotel as the original hotel we were booked into was over booked!
The hotel over all was OK.. The rooms need a little tlc, the major down fall in the rooms were that there was a HORRIBLE smell every day coming from the sink which most mornings woke my partner up making him feel sick. Another let down was the fact that you had to quite literally fight to get a bed around the pool :0(.. The pool also wasn't very well signed so it was hard to work put where the shallow end stopped and the deep end started. Not good when you have children or less confident swimmers.
Id say unless you stay all inclusive the staff aren't really that interested in you also and quite rude at times. I'm sorry to say I doubt we would stay again.

• Stayed: August 2014
Eduard C, Hotel Manager at Ohtels Villa Dorada, responded to this reviewResponded 21 August 2014

Dear Gina,

First, thank you to take the time to post a review about your stay in Villa Dorada. Is very important for us to know your opinion, because that help us to be better in our work.

More than the 80% of our guests have all inclusive service, and normally the guests have a good opinion about this service and staff. Anyway we must to work harder to avoid dissatisfactions like yours.

About the smell in the room, this is the first time that someone tell us about this, but I check it personally.

We hope you change your opinion, and you come back again!!

Reviewed 18 August 2014

We stayed in this hotel for 7 nights we are fussy with food but the food was great all different every night for all nationalities had lots of children too. All the staff are lovely & children entertainers are lovely too. Our room was very clean & was cleaned everyday with fresh towels. Pools are great size & have a little park which my daughter loved. The only bad thing is the pool doesn't open untill 9:00am you have to que about 8:00am to get a sun beds need more sun beds & umbrellas. Would definitely recommend this hotel to people with small children. We had a brill time :)

• Stayed: August 2014
1  Thank xkarena
Eduard C, Hotel Manager at Ohtels Villa Dorada, responded to this reviewResponded 19 August 2014

Reviewed 17 August 2014

just got back from 2 weeks stay at the hotel and what can I say it was brilliant and I did not want to come home.Food was good with a lot of choice and I would go back only thing was not big enough pool area and not enough sun beds

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank debbie j

Dear Debbie,

Thank you very much to take the time to leave your feedback in this web site.

Maybe the swimming-pool area needs to be bigger to be used for the guests in the same time, anyway we are lucky to have the beach at just four minutes walking, isn't it?.

We want to thank you again for your comments, and we hope to see you very soon!!

Reviewed 16 August 2014

Stayed in this hotel very recently and was a very pleasant experience. Slight hiccup with original room however this was dealt with promptly the next morning. We went all inclusive which turned out superb for us. All food choices were wide and varied for both children, babies and adults. Beverages and snacks good also and available at suitable times. All staff including Reception, Bar, Waiting, Domestics, Night Porter etc very courteous, friendly and helpful. Good central base also for in and around resort with some good entertainment bars. Entertainment on site during the day a bit lax and not what I expected from a Thomson Hotel. Thought more entertainment for all during the day. At night mixed entertainment for all ages.

Only downside as per is the sun lounger situation. Pool not open till 0900 hrs but guests queuing at around 0800 hrs to get a bed and/or table and/or umbrella. Mad dash to "book" your bed. Annoying is the fact that hotel states sunbeds which are "booked" but not used for over an hour then the pool attendant will remove towels. Never saw this happening at all despite some beds being "booked" at 0900 hrs and only used at 1500 hrs. Lot of guests left wandering around pool areas looking for beds or even seats. Seats and tables available (if lucky) outside games room beside main pool area.

Thomson Rep Dean a gem and very helpful, friendly and no request too much. Well done that man!

Overall would return to the hotel (with my tent to camp overnight for a sun lounger) !!!

Room Tip: Poolside room bit noisy as entertainment is held outside at pool area however noise does not go on t...
2  Thank Fiona T

Dear Fiona,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review on the site following your recent stay with us and I am thrilled to hear that you were treated very good throughout your stay.

I do hope that you will return on a future visit and please do not hesitate to contact us if we can be of any assistance....., and to keep for you a Sunbed and Umbrella!!

Reviewed 9 August 2014

Stayed in this hotel last week with my wife and 5 year old grandson, what can I say this hotel is top notch I really can not fault it, the food is amazing with a great selection for eveybodys taste including the children who have a great selection to choose from the selections are massive and are very good standard, the rooms are a little dated but still very good with nice cool air con a 32inch flat screen tv etc, the one thing I would have liked would have been tea making facilities but I do like a cuppa in the morning the beds are large and quite comfy overall good quality,the hotel is spotless, this hotel is completely aimed at the children having a good time and so the entertainment is aimed at the childrens happiness which I think is great the entertainers work very hard and seem to love the kids having a great time, my only complaint which is not a fault of the hotel is the complete lack of manners or any respect of the east Europeans who are very rude and super greedy the amount of food they waste is a sin, unfortunately the hotel is about 80% of them 20% the rest but as I say this is not the hotels fault, overall this hotel and indeed the resort of salou can not be knocked go and enjoy.

4  Thank cammy123
Eduard C, Hotel Manager at Ohtels Villa Dorada, responded to this reviewResponded 16 August 2014