“If you get a cheap week go, but it is basic 3* hotel. Realistic review.”

Ohtels Villa Dorada
Ranked #8 of 93 Hotels in Salou
UK
“If you get a cheap week go, but it is basic 3* hotel. Realistic review.”
Reviewed 26 August 2014 via mobile

To summarise:
Hotel needs upgrading all around especially the public bathrooms but its generally very clean. Rooms are good (two double beds). Staff were good (apart from the older man at the restaurant who takes your card - he was rude if you don't take your paper part of your card when you arrive for breakfast, lunch, dinner). Pool cleaner works his socks off, so does entertainment staff.
Food is varied hot and plenty of it but the meats weren't great quality but we always found something to eat. Wine was bad so I would avoid that. All inclusive drinks were good, beer, spirits, coffee etc.
Wifi was good. Not a lot of sun loungers and parts of the pool didn't get the sun until afternoon but we just went a walk around or to the beach after breakfast. Pool view rooms during the day, and in the evening hear very loud dance music which we didn't mind but if you have young kids it might be an issue.
On our last day they cooked paella and had sangria by the pool which was nice. Twice they had inflatables in the pool.
Watch out for the rude eastern europeans and its fine.
All in all - ok for a cheap 3 star week away and if you know what you are going to then its good enough no real complaints.
If you go to Port Aventura then definitely buy fast track passes. We were 2h wait for the 2 main rides.

• Stayed August 2014
2 Thank lewis181
Eduard C, Hotel Manager at Ohtels Villa Dorada, responded to this review, 4 September 2014
Dear Guest.

Thank you for taking the time to post a review on the site following your recent stay with us. We try to do the best for our clients everyday, and we appreciate so much your comments.

Best regards,

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (243)
  • Polish first
Maidstone, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 August 2014

Food was ok and varied for a week, bit boring after that. Bar staff not very happy to serve and restrict how many drinks you can get at one time, 2, which isn't any good to us when we are a family of 6! Short walk to the beech, jeep safari was a good trip to go on.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
Dear Guest,

First, thank you very much to leave your feedback in Tripadvisor.

I do hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back on a future visit and please do not hesitate to contact us at any time if we can be of assistance.

Durham
Reviewed 25 August 2014

Just returned from a week All inclusive at this hotel with Thomsons. The staff were mostly friendly and they had a good entertainment programme. The rooms were cleaned daily and had good air conditioning. The food was average in the restaurant but you could always manage to find some think. The snacks were poor compared to other All Inclusive hotels I have stayed in, you only had a choice of pizza and chips which was one small slice of pizza and about 10 chips, hot dog and chips, burger and chips, crisps, nuts or a sandwich. Nice coffee and got bottled water. We liked the indoor pool which I took my 1year old grandson to a few times. The hotel is very tired and is in need of refurbishment. We pick up the wifi you have to be in reception area or around the pool area. No wifi in the room unless you hung over the balcony. Overall we had a good holiday but went out into Salou a lot. I don't rate it good value for money and would not return to this hotel.

Room Tip: As for a pool view room but if you want an early night the entertainment music goes on until midnigh...
1 Thank Thegreenparty46
Dear Guest,

We hope to see you again!!

derbyshire
Reviewed 25 August 2014

Went to hotel villa dorada 13th august for 1 week. We arrived at the hotel about 11.30pm with my husband and 2 daughters 11 and 3. It was my daughters 11th birthday that day too so what happened next was not on at all! Went to check in, all very tierd! Sorry no rooms left you have to stay in a hotel down the road! WHAT????? Got to stay in a different hotel for the night! We asked when can we check in tomorrow and he said anytime! To tierd to argue so of we went! Now midnight we tried to check in mediteranian best hotel, man on the check in desk didnt really know what we were on about but eventually we got our small horrible room. I was so upset especially as it was my daughters bday. Trying to rummage through the case to find the kids something to wear for bed when the music started! Im not kidding you the music was so load that I thought the patio doors were open boom boom boom screaming sirens smashing glass till 7 in the morning!!!! By this time I wanted to go home! About 9am we went back to check in at villa dorada to be told that we cant until midday, even though they said anytime!!!!! they promised they would give us a poolside view room. We didnt want to waste anymore time so we stored our luggage and went to caribe water park for the day ( which was brill ) about 5.30pm we got back to the hotel, of we went to our room, lovely room but no pool view! Went down and told them and they said they are all gone with a pool view! Come back tomorrow! Another night not being able to unpack but eventually the next day everything was sorted. This is when I started enjoying our holiday. Hotel is very big and spotless. Great pools and kids park ( better looking than the photo impressions ) staff are really friendly too but the best part was the food, the standard is defo more than a 3 * it is fantastic! The chefs and staff in the restaurant are brilliant at what they do. Everything is fresh and always lots of it. The man who does the melon carving is so talented. There are fresh eggs omlettes pancakes made to order and the men who do that are brilliant. It was a lovely hotel just such a big shame about the start!!!!
T

Room Tip: Level 5 rooms have been renovated but the others have not.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Eduard C, Hotel Manager at Ohtels Villa Dorada, responded to this review, 28 August 2014
Dear Guest,

First, thank you very much to leave your feedback in Tripadvisor.

I'm so sorry about this problem that you had, and I hope the rest of your stay were great.

Thank you also for your comments about the food and the staff!!!!.

Coventry
Reviewed 25 August 2014

I have just returned from my holiday staying at the Villa Dorada.
There were many issues that you should be aware of.
If you need a cup of tea, coffee or even water for taking medication, you will NOT be allowed any before 10:00 A.M. at the bar area (No facilities in rooms for this) The rooms look nothing like they do on their website.
The rep was not very helpful and often gave misleading information.
The pool side is treacherous. I slipped and injured my knee twice, I saw many people slip and fall around the pool as the floor is very wet and not cleaned up often enough.
The pool itself does not have any signs telling people where the shallow and deep end is and as a result I saw a young child gash her chin in the shallow end. (Pool is very small)
You will need to start to queue by 8:00 A.M. at the latest to acquire a sun lounger or you will not have one all day. The staff is meant to remove towels from sun loungers when people acquire one and then go out for the day and they don’t.
The bar area has a sign stating footwear should be worn at all times. Kids were running in and out soaking wet with no footwear and I slipped in there on the second occasion.
The food was the same every single day, however, if you like veal everyday then you will be okay.
On several occasions, I had to ask for bath towels in the room. You will need to give a deposit of 20 euro’s for each an iron, T.V. remote and a deposit for just about anything you need. You will need to pay to weigh your cases. The only nice staff was the two upstairs bar staff and the rest do not speak English which is bad considering 90% of tourists are British. There are many more disappointments to mention.
I would not recommend this hotel at all as there are plenty of others that other people were raving about.

Room Tip: Try booking one closer to the beach with a larger pool and English speaking staff to help with any q...
1 Thank Bingo_nut_2008
Dear Guest,

We must to accept all opinions, of course, but let me tell you:

The bar is open at 10 am until midnight..., if it is not enough for you, the restaurant open at 8 am until 10,30 am for breakfast, 13 hrs to 15 hrs for lunch and 19 hrs to 21,30 hrs for dinner. Why you cannot take a water for your medications or a cup of tea? .
Usually in swimming-pool area is wet.., maybe you had a problem with your footwear to slip twice. I'm sorry, but there are signs everywhere, in swimming-pool area, in the entrance of the bar and also in the playground area.., really you need more information and signs?.
I think is understandable that you cannot to book a sunbed, leave your towel and don't use it during more than one hour, the rest of guests have the same right as you to use the sunbed and umbrella.
About the variety of the food, this is your point of view very particular, but I'm sure you didn't saw the show-cooking that we change everyday, the cutting meat or poultry also different every day, 3 composed salads, 10 different fruits, thematic buffets 3 days a week (spanish, italian and seafood), 12 different desserts, buffet for the kids.., etc.... you can see the photos in tripadvisor. One day a week we give paella (free) in the swimming-pool and we show how to do it, and also the fresh fruit free.
I can't belive that you had problems with your rep., I receive congratulations everyday!.
It is not fair, that you say false things to reinforce your opinion, all the staff work very hard to get the satisfaction of our guests, sure that we make mistakes everyday, but...., this is too much.

Reviewed 24 August 2014

We have just returned from an all inclusive holiday and have had an amazing time. All the staff were fantastic especially the entertainment staff who were great with our children. The rooms are all you need to rest in, with both bath and shower. The food was good with a big variety every day, both for adults and children.
The location of this hotel is perfect as it is just 5 mins walk from the main shops and bars and also a small walk from the nearest beach.
We would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed August 2014
2 Thank lisadee12
Dear Guest,

We work hard to ensure a best service is provided to all our guests.

Sligo, Ireland
Reviewed 21 August 2014

I stayed here in August with my ten year old daughter. It was our first holiday abroad with just the two of us so as you can imagine I was slightly apprehensive and rather stressed.

Good points:
There is 3 pools at the hotel, 2 outdoors and a beautiful cold pool inside.
We were half board and the food was plentiful and delicious. There is plenty of choice, even your fussy eaters will find something to their liking.
You really are only a few minutes walk to the centre and the bus stop to bring you to all the attractions is only a 2 minute walk away.
The people in the local shops outside the hotel are lovely and very helpful. I recommend the russian supermarket at the front of the hotel, the woman there has very little english but she is such a lovely woman and was very kind to my little girl giving her sweets and making her laugh. It is the little things that make someone special.

Bad points:
The room really did smell!! (I see another reviewer made the same point). The only way I can describe it politely is to say it smelled as if the room was filled with urine. It was disgusting. The cleaners were in every morning and they did their job but the smell just wouldn't go. My room number was 332.
The reception staff. Well what can I say, they are rude, ill mannered and have no business being the front of house in any hotel. I must say there was one woman that was lovely and I am sorry to say that I cant remember her name now, but the rest of them need to learn how to talk to people. Checking in was a nightmare. After travelling for 14 hours and arriving at the hotel I was stood at the reception desk for twenty minutes while the two ladies enjoyed their conversation laughing and ignored me. When I said excuse me to one of them she put her hand up to my face to shush me and carried on laughing with her co worker. When one of them finally decided to deal with me she was taking her time with checking us in. I asked her what the problem was and she replied that she couldnt find my room, obviously this didnt seem to bother her because she walked away and started a conversation with one of the other hotel workers from the bar. All in all, just to check in took about 45 mins!! Like I said, the reception staff are incredibly ill mannered.
The lifts. If you are anyway impaired and unable to use the stairs, this hotel is not for you. The lifts are are very slow and unreliable. They really could do with a service. One of the few times we actually waited for it to arrive, hopped on board and waited for the doors to close... and we waited... and we waited.. no the doors wouldnt close, but I rather that, than them not opening while i was in it. I went down to reception and told one of the girls that the lift was stuck on the third floor but because the reception staff have no manners she didnt even say thank you for telling me, she didnt say anything and just walked away. Charming.

I wouldnt recommend the hotel, but other than the staff and the smell, it was fine... but that is all, just fine. I wouldn't go back.

I hope this was some way helpful.

2 Thank Loulou2577
Dear Guest,

We work hard to ensure a best service is provided to all our guests.