“Nice Hotel” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Cala Font Hotel

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Cala Font Hotel
Ranked #30 of 95 Hotels in Salou
Newcastle, United Kingdom
“Nice Hotel”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2012

I stayed here for a week with my partner on a half board package with thomsons. The cala font is a nice hotel hower the repection staff are not at all helpfull after asking which bus we needed to catch into Salou we were told they didnt know. The pool is very nice and very clean however people put towels down on sunbeds at 7am meaning there is non left by 7:30am.
The food was interesting to say the least, it is frozen and re-heated every night and is not really great. Watermelon seems to be a favorite of everone staying as people pile their plates with about 70 pieces and leave most of it (extremly annoying )
A boat trip to cambrilles and a shopping a night fountian show is a must while staying in cap salou.
The room itself was very very cleam and quite cmfortable however the walls are paper thin and you can hear next doors conversation as if there wasnt a wall between you.
Also as a warning the so called 'double bed' is actually 2 singles pushed together there was a lot of falling down the gap in the middle.

Room Tip: ask for a pool or seaview room
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Jessica B

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (102)
  • Polish first
Birmingham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 July 2012

My Wife, I, and our three year old daughter went to Cala Font on the 29th June 2012. We booked out holiday through the co-op.

The flight is short, as is the transfers, which was great with a three year old, everything was fine until we got to the hotel. We had to fly out on the 6.10am flight, (At the airport for three in the morning with a three year old is NOT fun) which meant we landed at the hotel at around 10.00am Spanish time. We were hot, knackered and badly in need of a shower. We got to the reception to be told that our rooms wouldnt be ready until after mid-day. We complained but it got us no-where. I ended up emailing the co-op from the hotel reception to get some action, but this took some time.

We decided to go get a drink and some breakfast. We came back at 11.30 and the room still wasnt ready. It wasnt just us either, the whole coach were in the same position. This lack of planning and organisation set the theme for the entire holiday as far as the hotel went.

We eventually got into our hotel room at around mid-day. Now I have stayed in pretty rough places, and some absolutely wonderful places, on a scale of one to ten this room scored a four. A low score mainly because of the beds, the view and the lack of even a kettle to make a drink with. Talking of beds, if you have a bad back DO NOT STAY HERE. I crawled under one to see why it was so hard, and I am not elaborating here, but my brother in law the mechanic must have been to Salou before me, because the bed frames are a proper DIY job, square tubular metal, mig welded together to make a bed frame and a thick sheet of what looked like chipboard as a base. The matress was cheap, thin and really uncomfortable. Both of us came away with aches and pains from the beds.

The rooms are generally clean, the maid service is every day, clean towels every other day, unless you ask them. Dont trust the 'do not disturb' sign if you hang it on the door, because the maids just come in anyway.

The food... Well, to be honest, I've had worse, it was a bit boring and repetitive, but completely edible, and there was usually something I could find to eat without too much of a problem, the restaurant menu did seem to be aimed at the Russians though. (Water melons in Russia must be REALLY expensive, I have seen a flock of vultures be slower on a carcass, than these guys are on a plate of melon, one guy had fifteen slices on one plate, and when the profiteroles come out, its like mass hysteria, there are literally fights over profiteroles, The great Russian Profiterole war was re-enacted every evening) Dont expect danish bacon for breakfast, its fried ham at best. We were half board and to be honest I wish I'd gone self catering and ate at the Smugglers Rest just down the road. (Run by Lindsey, a Scot, fantastic fun, great food and they know how to look after children, they have colouring books and toys etc, and even have a clown show on a Wednesday night)

Oh and stay away from the tables at the end of the restaurant, its haunted by a witch! Seriously, our first meal there, we were told by the chap collecting tickets to 'sit anywhere'. The restaurant was half empty, and being our first meal, we wanted to sit by the window and get our bearings a bit. We have a three year old and any parent knows you need about three million bags to cope with a little one, so we plonked ourselves down at a nice table with places for five. (The restaurant was half empty, no-one seemed to be sitting down this end, we soon found out why) The waitress that was responsible for this end of the restaurant proceeded to berate us for sitting at a table for five people instead of one kitted out for four. My Spanish is a bit rusty but I understood what she was muttering about, us lacking common sense. A total and utter cow, who proceeded to glare at us on every trip to the restaurant, if we were unlucky enough to have to sit within range of her beady eye. Sometimes we had no choice but to sit in her realm, and despite my charm offensive she was impervious and intent on letting everyone know who was queen witch of that domain.

On the same level as the restaurant is a kids room, full of video games that dont work, a plastic house that falls to bits, and cockroaches. Honestly I was helping my daughter put the house back together a bloody great cockroach fell out of it, as big as my thumb. Fortunately my little girl didnt see it, I stomped on it and got rid. There really isnt anything here for kids in the hotel other than the pool. The pool is great, you have a little one with a huge waterfall and a bigger one with a whirlpool and spa. the water is clean, and we had a lot of fun in the pool.

The sea front consists of two small beaches next to each other, separated by a rock formation. These beaches get very crowded, people literally falling over each other. Dont use them, take a walk up the hill and down the road. About fifteen minutes walk is a huge beach, kitted out with loungers, shades, and its all wonderful white sand. The beaches are groomed every evening, and with the exception of the odd cigarette butt, are rubbish free (It did seem to me that the entire smoking population of the UK had come away on holiday with us, cramming themselves into Cap salou and smoking as if their lives depended on it) They smoke around the kids, they smoke everywhere in Spain.

There are noddy trains every where here, and if you can work out the timetable (It took us three days to find out, the hotel staff were oblivious and didnt have a clue) its worth a trip, its about three euros each, and you can stay on as long as you want. We did a complete circuit on the Blue line to Port Aventura and back. Incidentally the timetable is on the stop opposite the smugglers inn in Cap Salou.

We took one excursion. It was called haggle and splash, a trip to the market, about an hour away, supposedly, and then a catermaran trip. DONT DO IT !

Seriously, the coach dropped us three miles from the market, a lot of us with children and no pushchairs, and we were told just to keep walking, to add insult to injury the pigging coach overtook us ten minutes later. It took us half an hour to walk to the markets in 35 degrees, with little ones, and forty minutes to walk back. The market isnt anything impressive either, its just like the flea market in Birmingham, or any number of other markets up and down the country. We got back to the catermaran and again this was nothing special, the glass bottom was a waste of time, we saw one fish, and if you wanted food you had to pay their expensive prices. The children had a better time of it than the adults I think. The sea was quite rough and there were about ten people throwing up the whole trip. Then when it came to swimming, one of the crew thought it funny, to drive the dingy with the outboard motor at the people swimming in the water, messing about. The swim was probably the best thing about the trip, its fairly well organised, you can wear lifejackets if you want, I took our little girl in wearing one and she loved it. Everything was great until we got a visitor, a great big jellyfish, then all the girls started screaming, and a mass exodus out of the water started.

In all, I like Salou, I'd go back, but I wouldnt stay at the Cala Font, I wouldnt do the trips via the rep here. And I wouldnt eat the hotel food. Oh and I'd make sure the beds werent like sleeping on a morticians slab as well. Eat lots of Scottish breakfasts at Smugglers Cove !! (Yum, Square Sausage!)

Room Tip: Get a sea View, tip the maid on the first day!
8 Thank thetopiceman
Manchester, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2012

on arriving at the hotel we were met by very friendly staff at the reception desk, the hotel is very clean and spacious. the pool area was very nice with plenty of sunbeds. the entertainment was smashing and enjoyable. the bar staff are so nice they try to be polite to all the customers but i felt sorry for them because the russians in the hotel were very rude, The buffet food was nice lots of choice again sometimes this was spoilt by the russians pushing in they have no manners and they eat like animals filling plates up with food and then leaving half of it i felt so sorry for the ladies who had to clear the tables.The bus stop is only a 5 minute walk away to go to most places but this is up quite a steep hill i was fine walking up but my husband struggled with it had to stop half way to rest.so its not good for anyone who is not good on their feet.They have a lovely little beach area which was very nice, they also had a good kiddies club for people with children they were well entertained every night with a disco.

Room Tip: ask for a high floor and overlooking the pool its a lovely view and they have got lifts so no walkin...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank doreenlewis
Dublin
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 July 2012

Just came back from this hotel ,the staff were friendly and helpful and the hotel was clean .The downside was , 95% of the guests were Russian , the rudest and most dour people i have ever come across . Cap Salou is just full of them . Sun loungers have towels on them at 7am , they dont queue for the buffet, the bus, the lift and have no respect for non Russians, would not recommend this hotel or area for anyone from the UK or Ireland . The local bar staff and Spanish tourists complained about them non stop . Better off avoiding the place .

Room Tip: Choose a pool view room
2 Thank Doda M
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 June 2012

Just arrived back after spending a week at the cala font hotel in Cap salou Spain.. (june 2012)Took our 4 yr old boy for his 1st holiday abroad..hotel itself is very clean and spacious.. Was given a room with a view out of the back of the hotel onto a road an trees (shame as sea and pool view would have been nice ). Discovered the hotel was full of Russian holidaymakers and I've got to say they are the rudest most arrogant race I've ever had the pleasure to meet..the Reasturant was spotless and constantly being cleaned .. Food was reasonable , plentiful but deffo for the Russian palette , nothing for a 4 yr old English boy.. He had toast and we bought weetabix for him ourselves.. Adults Plenty of choice and fresh fruit for breakfast.. Orange juice was very watered down..tea and coffee machine.. You won't go hungry but you have to be prepared for the pushing in and shoving to get the food..evening meal was much the same every night..as at breakfast you wont go hungry but deffo not for the english taste..we ate out a couple of times but even then the food for kids is chicken nuggets or fishfingers ?? Pool area is great and clean..you need a brolly as the sun is really strong and there is only 12 in total so you have to be a bit quick to get one..no prob with sun beds though.. Has a lovely female lifeguard who saved a child while we were there.. Kids really need armbands if they are not that strong a swimmer.. pool is really deep at one end 2m!! 1min walk to beach, bit of a steep hill but not that bad.. 2 sunbeds and a shade cost 14 euros a day if you need them and pedalo 10 euro per hr.. Evening entertainment is rubbish.. Mini disco starts at 9.15pm and finished at 10pm.. Kids liked it !!! Main entertainment was really dire... (enough said ) The russian adults don't buy a drink in the bar and it seemed like our table was the odd one out as we enjoyed a beer of two every night.. All in all it was a reasonable holiday but won't be going back and I wouldn't recommend the hotel to any English families ...

• Stayed June 2012
Salou, Spain
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 June 2012

My wife and I had a terrible experience at the above named hotel.We have stayed in many hotels on half board basis so we have plenty to compare this hotel against.Trust me when I say if you have stayel in any half decent hotel in your lifetime you will see this place for what it is -A KIP.The biggest problem was that the food was really terrible.When we saw how bad it was and complained the hotel offered us to stay on a room only basis for the 10 days left.They offered us the daily value of the breakfast and dinner as a refund.4 EUROS WAS WHAT THEY SAID THE BREAKFAST AND DINNER WAS WORTH PER DAY-4 EUROS FOR THE 2 MEALS.This means folks when you book half board at the Cala font you are paying mainly for accomodation and 4 euros worth of food a day.This is why their prices seem competitive.The food is so bad you will end up eating out all the time like us.Book a hotel with decent standards of cuisine. There were lots of other issues to do with the hotel that prevented us from enjoying the experience,but this was the main one.From the first day we sat down for breakfast we felt really let down as the standard of the food and its presentation in the resteraunt were so bad.Actually you could not call it a resteraunt and I would struggle to call it a canteen as this would do a disservice to the many good canteens out there.The food itself is awful.Anything that is fried such as chips or calamari are soggy and greasy.Vegetables,potatoes etc are all wet and tasteless.We got meat that had blood on it and the milk was never cold.The juice in the mornings is completely watered down to the point where it looks like coloured water.The presentation of food in the resteraunt is also horrific.They do not clear the used plates off your table and let them pile up.After a few courses you can imagine what this looks like.When they do decide to remove leftovers they slop them into these bins right in front of your facemet.Many people we met had similar things to say by the way.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
10 Thank tom m m
Preston, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 June 2012

We travelled to the Cala Font as a family of 4, with two boys aged 3 & 6. The location of the hotel was fabulous for us. It is situated over looking a small bay, a couples of miles from the main resort of Salou. The road leading down the beach, on which the hotel is situated, is very steep & those with mobility problems may struggle. It is a 3 min walk into the small resort of Cap Salou, which has a selection of bars, restaurants etc. Alternatively you can walk into Salou which takes about an hour amble along the beach / coast. The bus stop is a couple of Min's away & you can get around the local area easily.
The hotel itself is pretty much as you would expect from a 3 star Spanish Hotel. Staff were friendly enough & spoke good English. Food was plentifully and of a decent quality. There was something for us all to eat at each meal - fish, chicken, meat, veggies etc and plenty of fresh fruit which the kids loved. The main downside we found was the restaurant was very busy, particularly in the evening & some guests were very rude, not just pushing in line but almost pushing you out of their way!!! Not good example to set the kids, who we were trying to educate to be polite.
Entertainment in the hotel was OK - kids club during the day where they did arts & craft things. Mini Disco in the evening was a bit chaotic & my kids did not really enjoy it - others appeared to have fun though. There is a Large Screen on in the bar where they show major sport events.

The pool area was lovely and the boys really enjoyed. There is a small play area and a separate paddling pool for the children - this area was usually quite, which we liked as we could watch the children playing easily. There is also a terrace overlooking the beach where the serious sunbathers seamed to go to power tan. There were always enough chairs & sun beds whatever time of day we went to the pool so no need to get down there early & reserve them!

All in all we felt the hotel was great value for money and we would return again if we visit the area in the future.