“Very Basic”

Ranked #53 of 94 Hotels in Salou
Brighton, United Kingdom
“Very Basic”
Reviewed 11 April 2014

Stayed here on my university sports tour in April and on arrival the hotel looked very nice; nice pool and bar etc. I shared a 3 bed room and it was very basic and had limited space for suitcases and other belongings. Soon after we arrived we all had to inspect our own rooms to which i found a crusty yellow stain on the blanket. Later on when I went to get into bed i lifted the sheets and there was 3 huge brown circle stains which were damp and sticky, I went straight downstairs and told them what had happened at this point the man at reception took me upstairs to a storeroom and told gave me some new sheets, his English was poor and I asked for double twice but still received single as he was adamant they were double, after this I went back to my room where I was expected to change everything myself, the maids changed the sheets back to normal the next day and I was not charged which was a bonus. Later on in the evening we proceeded to dinner where the choice was very limited especially for myself being a vegetarian, I ate pizza, chips and pasta every night for the whole stay. The food was nice, there just wasn't a lot of choice. Overall for a uni holiday where we didn't spend too much time in the hotel anyway it was ok, the location made it a lot more bare able as there is a lovely beach 2 minutes away. For the price we paid I guess I wasn't expecting anything too fancy, would probably stay here again as surprisingly it is one of the best hotels given to students on the trip.

Room Tip: Choose a room overlooking the pool, top floor has bigger balconies.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
  • Polish first
Krasnoyarsk, Russia
Reviewed 30 March 2014

good 3 star hotel - good for the money you pay for it, clean rooms, breakfasts are not diverse but ok though juices are like water and coffee\tea is terrible, it's close to the beach though it's not on the first line and close to the bus stop to take bus to Tarragona, also it's easy to walk to the city centre. usually we don't spen time at the hotel so for us it's was perfect choice.

Room Tip: if you want a good hotel for reasonable price - choose this hotel
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Ksuindi
Paula A e, Customer Service at 4R Salou Park Resort II, responded to this review, 27 June 2014
Dear Sir/Madam

Thank you very much for choosing our hotel for your stay and thank you for your comments as well. All of them help us to improve our services every day and help the rest of the clients to choose.
All our staff try to do better every day with the unique purpose of your to enjoy your holidays. And when someone write about us in a positive way encourage us to follow day by day.

Thank very much for dedicating a few minutes to give us your opinion.
We will so glad to see you again in our hotel.

Salutations
Paula, Customer Service 4R Hotels.
Dundee, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 February 2014

The hotel is in a good location 10 minutes to the shops market etc,, the hotel rooms are cleaned to a high standard,, although the rooms could do with a makeover,, the staff are quite rude and seem to have no customer skills,, I found the food was of a poor standard and the rest of our party another 7 people also agreed , the pool area is kept clean tho the time we were there the pool bar was always shut,, I found this hotel was full of German,,Swedish and Spanish people,,the entertainment in this hotel is shocking also there's nothing to keep children, teenagers etc amused

Room Tip: Most boring hotel we've stayed in
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank smiler-7
Sheffield
Reviewed 5 October 2013

We paid roughly £35 per night for 10 nights at the end of September for 2 people half board through hotels4u. Now you can get a Travelodge for the night room only in the UK for £35, but with the meals thrown in this has to be cheap. Do not expect the Ritz. The hotel is well located just up the road from the Burger King on Carlas Buigas. I requested high floor and got an end room on the 5th floor, which apart from half a dozen rooms on the roof is at the top. Being an end room we got a huge L shaped balcony that wrapped around the end of the building. Only downside was some aircon plant on the roof above the room which was a bit noisy but liveable with.
The hotel is mainly full of Russian tourists and you may not hear another English voice. There were a couple of French coach tours towards the end of our stay.
Typical spanish 3 star hotel room. Nice and clean. Towels changed every day. Comfy but firm twin beds pushed together. Plenty of wardrobe space. Nice bathroom. Old fashioned 14" tv. The aircon was on even though it's not advertised as being available late September.
Breakfast. Well if you want a good English breakfast with English sausages and Back bacon then you will be disappointed. On the hot tray there was Spanish streaky bacon, party sausages, scrambled eggs, fried eggs, baked beans and potato scraps (small chips of fried potato). In addition there was cold meats and cheese, bread, toast, some salad, trays of freshly baked croissants, sweet breads, cakes, fruit and yogurts. The main issue at breakfast was the queues at the two coffee vending machines. They need more machines or come around with jugs.
Evening meal. Plenty of choice. Always a roast joint carvery, plus fish and meat fillets from the plancha, Sometimes these can be done to death but here they were usually quite moist. There was usually a stew of some kind (the beef stew on Sunday is excellent). Also a fish of some kind in a tasty sauce, plus chicken legs, mussels or something similar. Usually something aimed at kids such a nuggets or pizza. Always chips plus some veg. Now the Russians seem to like their melon and they took it away by the plate load. Usual fluorescent coloured cakes for desert, but if you were lucky they had rice pudding or lemon tart. For a hotel buffet we thought this was very good for the price we paid.
We didn't have lunch, but if you go full board this is served in the hotel next door.
We always had a friendly welcome at the restaurant. The staff are there to clear tables so don't need to interact much, apart from offering drinks for sale with the evening meal. No complaints.
We really enjoyed our stay here at this hotel and would not hesitate to return.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank tintin100
Reviewed 16 September 2013

Initial impressions were that this is a well placed hotel and looked good for what we payed (inexpensive and convenient). The staff on reception are friendly enough, but don't expect a smile from the restaraunt staff as you won't get anything remotely like a word out of them, just a grunt and a point. The pool area is clean, but the water is freezing cold, mainly down to being in the shade all day. Though guests staying here do have use of the pool next door (as they are the same hotel chain, just this is 3* and Salou Park is 4* - can also use their wifi too)

The main thing going for this hotel is that it is spotlessly clean, the rooms, corridors and public areas always being cleaned and the food is not bad either. We made use of the spa in the basement, whic I think has to be the best feature of this place - 6 euros for 2 hours which I think is well worth it for a relax.

The one big thing that let this hotel down were the beds. We booked a double room, but it was just 2 single beds made up seperately but pushed together and they were as solid as a rock (was more comfortable when I was lay on the sand at the beach) If you like a hard bed then it will be great for you, but it was just too hard for my likeing. On the upside, the shower in the bathroom was one of the best I've ever had in a hotel.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Pam P
beaufort
Reviewed 9 September 2013

Good Hotel, very near to the beach, bus stop and walking distance to centre of salou. Hotel was clean and restaurant had good wide selection of food which suited all of famiy. We had a family room which was a good size as family rooms go. The only let down was the unhappy staff. Apart from the cleaners who always had a smile, and the entertainment staff, the restaurant staff were miserable and grumpy. They certainly hate their jobs. Would definately suggest the hotel invest in some kind of customer service training for them! Its a shame because they were a real let down to what is a good, well located hotel.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank kerry h
Reviewed 22 August 2013 via mobile

We were given this hotel through a sports company as part of a school trip.
It was comfortable, clean and the staff were friendly even when there were 40 girls being quite loud at dinner!
The food was fine, 2-3 meat dishes available each meal with vegetables and salad available as well.
Pool area was fine but water was freezing in May.
Good location to the main and smaller beach.

However, I did not get much sleep that week as the corridors are tiled so any noise echoes so loudly. Even one person walking down the corridor sounds like a thunderstorm. My room was also unfortunately placed next to the staircase for the first floor so I heard everyone walk up and down the stairs throughout the night. I'm sure I could have moved rooms if I had asked but I needed to be near my students. It still would not have removed the noise from the corridor though. Carpet would be recommended for this hotel in the corridors!!

• Stayed May 2013