“Think some people are too fussy”

4R Regina Gran Hotel
Ranked #23 of 94 Hotels in Salou
Colne, England, United Kingdom
“Think some people are too fussy”
Reviewed 12 August 2012

Thought I would put on a review only as after I had booked looked at the reviews and there was quite a few bad reviews and I was a bit worried to be honest. I can only say with no reason. I found the hotel to be of an excellent quality, the rooms were, clean and very big in comparison to previous hotels I've stopped in. Cleaners came every day, staff were helpful although English wasn't a strong point but they did there best. My nephew had a good banter going with staff in dining room. Food was buffet style and was OK, choice could have been better the best night for me was the Mexican night but that might be more about my fussy food taste as the food was all of a good quality. Even my 2 year old managed to eat well each morning and night. Drinks were charged for but I would say reasonable cost for a hotel. The pools were nice, small pool for little kids was separate which was good and shallow so my little girl could feel safe and became quite confident in the water, you had to get there early to get a sunbed but think its been the same on all my holidays of this kind everywhere. There was lots of entertainment on for Kids through the day and in the evenings. The entertainment started quite late in the evenings but it was the same everywhere on resort. The only thing was that English holiday makers were in the minority here however I didn't see this as a problem and kids were definitely not bothered by this and made friends with all nationalities which in my opinion can only be a good thing for kids experiencing 'the world' as it should be, you can stay at home if you want to talk to English people cant you! Everyone spoke English anyway in a broken sort of way but enough to communicate. The hotel was well located 10 mins walk to beach and shops and bus came outside to take to Port Aventura for a day out, which I would also highly recommend.
I thought that overall this was a good quality hotel for the price and all those bad reviews are really unfounded, would be happy to recommend this to others.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Helen D

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (130)
  • Polish first
Hove actually
Reviewed 8 August 2012

Staying here at the moment, rooms very small, 4 of us. Stuffed into small room air conditioning useless. Sleeping with door open just to breathe . Food a strange mixture, bit like school dinners. Reception staff rude and unhelpful, English people a minority. Charge for the fridge. Booked with on the beach, another big mistake! 11 more days to go, hope we survive. Never stay here again.

• Stayed August 2012
2 Thank FoodyQueen

Travellers are raving about these Salou hotels

south wales uk
Reviewed 5 August 2012

The hotel is situated in an ideal location and is a short walk away from the centre of Salou and the beach and also from the theme park, Port Aventura. It has a lovely pool area and boasts well maintained grounds. The hotel is spotlessly clean and maid service is provided on a daily basis. The food was of an excellent standard with a large selection to cater for all tastes. The entertainment was more for a Spanish audience, however,entertainment staff seemed very genuine and dedicated to keeping the children happy

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
6 Thank jasper68872
Yeovil, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 July 2012

Would like to start by saying that all the information listed below is my interpretation of my 7 day Holiday at The 4R Regina Hotel in Salou. I have no connection with this Hotel in anyway. The Hotel is a 4 star official rated hotel. I booked this hotel on-line via Alpharooms.com. This was the cheapest method for my stay. I had read other reviews on this site and wondered what me and my partner had let ourselves in for. On arrival the Hotels appearance from the outside was very good. In we marched up to reception desk The staff were very helpful and gave us the room keys. In the escalator we went, worrying that the room was going to be the room from hell (like some of the pics on this site showed). We swung the door open and was pleasantly surprised. The twin room was very clean, beds made up nicely, with ample of cupboards for two. Now the big one for me the bed test. Was i going to be sleeping on the floor all week? The bed was great, really comfortable. Room had a TV, but only English channel was BBC world news (didn't bother me to much). Black out curtains, for the sleep in after a drink or two on the night before. Balcony was of normal size with two patio chairs on it. The Bathroom was clean of reasonable size with a Toilet, sink, B-day, Bath with shower over the top. Shower very good,powerful and didn't change heat when the temperature had been set. Clean towels supplied at the basin and bath for both of us. The Room was cleaned daily and beds made up by the very good maid service. Big up for the maids, they very polite, worked to a very high standard and always a "hola" in the morning when you passed them. The receptionist whom has dark hair, not sure of her name, went above and beyond her duty with assisting us on more than one occasion, Thank you! Hope you get well soon! The waiter that served us our drinks in the evening was also very polite and helpful, think he may have been from Argentina. Hotel positioned in a quite area away from the late night drinkers. However it is approximately 700 metres flat walk from the beach. Food was very good in my opinion, had choice of at least two different meats every night. It did get a little repetitive, but I find that it always does when your staying in hotels. I had placed a couple of special request on the booking that the Hotel dealt with very well. All the other guests that we spoke with were very pleased with this Hotel.

The not so good things:
Have to pay for most of the activities that i would not normally expect to have to pay for as a tourist. Table tennis 2 Euro for 30 mins. Tennis approximately 10 Euro per 1 hour, Crazy Golf 3 Euro for 30 mins or 5 Euro for an hour. health suite 6 euro per day.
Doors very noisy when shutting, maybe some signs to remind guests to be quite at night required.
Entertainment not great- but i find that with most hotels.
Not enough loungers around the pool.
No parasol's positioned around the pool.
Staff at the pool bar always seemed a bit off! Got the impression they didn't like us much!

SUMMARY- Book it! I was very pleased with this hotel and i am almost sure you will not be disappointed. If i can be of any further assistance please feel free to email me.

Oh! had a couple of good nights in the entertainment bar called Chaplins, however the bar is located approximately 3/4 mile from the Hotel. They have live music, normally tributes playing between 9pm and 2am.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
9 Thank JasonYeovil
Reviewed 9 July 2012

Stayed the end of June for 2nights , found the outside grounds lovely and well kept with an amazing pool!Rooms very small and basic, extra charge if you wanted to use the fridge. Location was a good walk to the beach maybe 20 mins, near to port adventura.Guests mainly Russian, Polish or Spanish , my kids didn't find anyone to talk to while they were there.Overall it's a nice hotel with no atmosphere , glad we just stayed 2 nights , and spent the week elsewhere .

• Stayed June 2012
4 Thank Annec2765
Reviewed 9 July 2012

My son & I are staying here at moment, booked very last minute after a broken leg meant he couldn't go on his school trip! We really like it, the pool is large & clean. Rooms aren't massive but they are very clean with comfy beds & blackout blinds so we slept very well. I am typing this by the pool using the free wifi listening to the many, many languages being spoken, if I'd wanted a hotel full of Brits abroad I would have booked with First Choice! I personally like the fact that it's multinational. There are some staff who speak English but I speak a bit of Spanish (plus got my Spanish dictionary on my phone) so it's nice to have to make the effort. The reality is that the English/German market isn't where all the money is anymore for these guys, they are employing staff who also speak other languages eg Russian as they are increasingly becoming the dominant market - so what?! A smile and a few basic words will still get you a long way! Dinner & breakfast so far have been great (HB) with plenty of choice. It's at mealtimes that you realise just how full the hotel is & yet there's certainly not a mad scramble for loungers. For all those people saying that the fridge isn't cold & not worth €2 - you have to leave one of your room keys in the slot otherwise all power goes off in the room, a fairly common hotel practice to save electricity. By leaving one of your keys in you can keep the aircon on & your fridge cold. We went for a wander into Salou this morning & saw many of the places I'd looked at before I booked here. I'm glad I booked this place, the location means it is a bit quieter which is what we wanted. I didn't want to be right on the strip, being kept awake all night. It really does not take long to walk in - 10 mins (& my son is on crutches!)

Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
10 Thank Ljbl12
London, UK
Reviewed 9 July 2012

I arrived at this hotel earlier than the official 'check-in' time. The receptionists (2 ladies) were helpful and let me store my luggage in their luggage room. They also gave me some information about the hotel and the local area. Nice first impression.

However, upon my return later in the afternoon, the older gentleman at the front desk that handled my 'check-in' process was not so friendly. He handed me my key card and pointed to the lift with very minimal interaction. When I asked if he could help me with a restaurant booking for the evening meal for a specific restaurant (I had the phone number), he simply said 'NO' and told me that they did not do restaurant booking. I explained that I did not speak enough Spanish but he still refused to help. Very poor indeed.

My room was clean and small. The bathroom was dated but adequate. There was air-conditioning in the room but was not really cold enough. The bed was very firm which I did not mind and pillows were comfortable. One would have to pay extra for the 'frills' in the room e.g. safe, tea / coffee making facilities, etc.

The pool was nice and but was a bit crowded at peak hours. The evening entertainment was actually quite good, surprisingly. I was there for a Monday evening and it was a 'Polynesian night'. There was free wifi in the lobby and bar area (not in the restaurant nor bedrooms) but the signal was very weak and slow. It was ok to check emails quickly.

I had to leave very early in the morning and they let me have breakfast before the 'opening time', which was a nice touch. They only had cold items at that time (which was more than adequate) so I cannot comment on the whole hot buffet experience.

In summary, this is an adequate hotel with average rooms.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled on business