“Mediocre, a 3* trying to be a 4*”

4R Regina Gran Hotel
Ranked #23 of 94 Hotels in Salou
Carcassonne
“Mediocre, a 3* trying to be a 4*”
Reviewed 19 October 2009

Once again, a Spanish 4* which is a 3*, I'm sure its based on the number of lifts!
We stayed for 2 nights out of season so expected it to be quiet. The room was good and reasonably well equipped, the facilities in the spa were also good, but a tired. What really annoyed us were the extras, €5 pp to use the spa after 6pm, you need a swim hat to use the indoor pool- €3, no spa towels were supplied, - €3 hire per day, etc, etc. The breakfast had a nice selection, but was luke warm and the microwaves dotted around the dinning room didn't work, and most importantly for the teenagers - no ketchup!
Would we stay there again, I think no is the answer, we'll try the Golden Port Group next time

• Stayed October 2009, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (131)
  • Polish first
ireland
Reviewed 6 October 2009

The location of the hotel is great - Just an short walk to the beach - Food is very good in restaurant was of an very gd standard - Shame about the staff in the restaurant - i havent enough time to write the numerous incidents we experienced they are extremely rude - we witnessed one of them - shoving an plate at an guest - as she was not asking but telling him 2 move, another time I saw one of the chefs rip an set of serving tongs from an guests hand. not on one occassion we were offered an high chair. There was only one very helpful and pleasant lady at reception - as one morning I was checkin the time of an transport service whne i asked an lady at reception the time of the service i was just given a shrug of the shoulders And an dont know !!! The room was small but clean - We had to single beds together to make an double - A showerhead that was broken - And the 2nd bed was an dusty sofa bed - very uncomfortable- I hit the top of the chair part of the sofa as i could see it was quite dusty - and i could c the dust rise into the air. If u get this hotel stay at an good price like we did for two small children and 2 adults for 700 euro for two wks half board go for it - but dont pay anymore - look elsewhere for another hotel otherwise u will be dissapointed !!! this is not an 4 star hotel - it is an decent three star !!!

• Stayed September 2009, travelled with family
Paisley
Reviewed 9 September 2009

We had read previous reviews about the hotel and thought some of the reviews were a bit harsh as the hotel was clean and tidy. To hire the fridge it cost 3 euros deposit and 2 euros per day. To hire the safety deposit box it was 40 euros. The place was cleaned on a daily basis and if you need fresh towels you could get them. The Hotel was only 10-15 minutes walk away from the main stretch which was lovely too. My only problem with the hotel was the food. Ths 1st night we thought we would go for dinner in the hotel - it was cold and very bland food, the starters were the best. Breakfast was cold too. The only thing that was nice was the fried eggs. We actually felt awkward next to the pool as we seemed to be the only british people there. The place was full of Spanish holidaymakers and they weren't that friendly. The cabaret acts every night were all in spanish too so there wasn't much point in going along to any of them. I am not sure if I would go back to Salou, it was a nice resort but a bit too family orientated. I would highly recommend the El Toro restaurant on the main stretch, was amazing!!

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
belfast
Reviewed 28 August 2009

ok so the truth about regina gran based on what the travel agent told us firstly they stated that the hotel was a 10 minute walk from the hotel this turned out to be more like 25 minutes they told us kids clubs were in the hotel the truth is the clubs kids don,t exist the hotel is also out of the way from salou town centre itself and taxis into town from the hotel are 7.20 euro but the hotel was clean with fresh bedding and towels available everyday the rooms are also cleaned everyday unless you place a do not disturb sign on the door the room itself contains 2 single beds and a double bed settee which is what you get if you book a double room there is television with most channels in spanish or german oh and there is a charge for the remote control and a charge for the room fridge 80 euro for the fridge and 5 euro plus 10 euro refundable deposit on the remote the staff are very friendly and most are bilingual so no problems there the bar is quite costly with water costing 5 euro per 1.5ltr bottle and red bull 3.50 euro and coke 2.60 euro the food is fantastic with a full buffet selection and there kids menu is super my young fellow fell in love with there pasta in bolognese sauce however chips and eggs and sausage and vegeterian meals as well as healthy options are available however drinks must be paid for with the evening meal and there is certain items of clothing you cannot were to the dinner table the amenities in the hotel include crazy golf ,table tennis,pool,tennis(at a cost of 25 euro) and as much swimming as you can fit in there is also a relaxation area below reception which has a pool with loungers for those who want peace and quiet in the hotel there are plenty of notices for tours my advice to anyone taking these tours would be not to use there travel rep for the nou camp tour with the mgic fountains,atheletic stadium and two hours shopping in barcelona he wanted 370 euro for three adults and for kids the same tour with plana (spanish tour company) 120 euro so be careful of the reps the aquapolis is worth the visit at 20 euro per person as is the costa caribe and port aventura however those last two are quite costly and dont order room service there is a 15 euro surcharge for this

and just one final thing be aware of who is around you at all times as i was personally pick pocketed on the second day of my holiday and lost quite a sum of money and claiming of insurance means you will spend time chasing up reports from police and so on

but salou is a lovely place with some real characters and nice people beatiful beaches and scenery and is a holiday no kid will forget but make sure you book a hotel in centre of the town and not one on the outskirts

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank jcraigynwa
Galway, Ireland
Reviewed 27 August 2009

We stayed here for 7days at the end of August2009. it was packed with Spanish families!! They could be loud and ignorant as if they own the place!
First we discovered that room was roasting and air conditioning was absolutely useless!! and then we had to go back down to the reception to pay for the fridge key 2 Euro per day and 3 Euro deposit! and the remote control 5 Euro! (Even though only BBC world news channel available for English speaker!) at this stage we were put off by this hotel! although room size bathroom etc was okay we did not want to stay too long in the room as it was too hot to do anything! so we went down to the indoor swimming pool and sauna, Jaccuzi, and crap steam room (not steamed at all!) as there weren't enough sunbeds anyday at all! (Apart from one day when it was raining and lightning!)
On the first day we went down to the indoor pool around 6 o'clock and asked to pay 5 Euro!! (Only free from 11am-6pm!!) all these extra fee pissed us off in the end as this suppose to be a 4 star hotel and these should be included in the service!!
The food was okay but we went to breakfast around 9:30 one morning and it was like a war zone!! everybody fighting to get cups and cereal bowels,cutterly as they weren't enough available! and by the time you queue to get coffee your breakfast was cold and could not enjoy it. best to get up earlier around 8:30 if you want relaxed brekkie!
We wanted to get some tea/coffee with dessert at the dinner but they would not allow us :(
We spent most of the nights in a lovely pub and really friendly bar man in next door hotel Sol Costa Daurada (Highly recommend to stay here instead of Regina Not so Gran!) Salou it self is a fantastic holiday destination as its close to Port Aventura and Barcelona. So we would go back to Salou again I'm sure, but not to this hotel!!

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple

Travellers are raving about these Salou hotels

Glasgow
Reviewed 17 July 2009

I was so excited to go to Salou as it was my first package holiday, being more of a city break person. I saw this hotel online and it looked great. When we arrived we had to wait 2 hours for our room, which during the week I found odd as there were hardly any people at the hotel. When we finally got to the room, it was a twin bedded room, not a double as we had paid extra for. One of the beds was broken in half and when I went to ask if there was any possibility to change rooms, the receptionist laughed at me. So I thought, whatever, I'm not letting this ruin my whole holiday. We were staying there on a half board basis, so that evening when we went for dinner I was even more disappointed. The selection was poor, the meat had large bits of fat on it, the fruit was bashed and the bread was stale. The only good part of the food was a blue cheese sauce and the desserts were lovely. The pool was only life guarded til 6pm and was disgusting. There was food, a sanitary pad and a condom at the bottom, and that is only what I actually saw. There was likely more than that down there! The drinks in the bar were rediculously priced. Needless to say I only had one! Our room wasn't made up once, which was obviously disgusting. I phoned down to reception a couple of times and they said they would get to it when they weren't so busy. Later when I went down to exit the hotel, the two receptionists were sitting laughing and joking. So busy eh? The hotel was the worst part of the holiday and my partner and I spent a lot more than we reckoned with by eating out. However, Salou itself was great and I would gladly go again. I just wont be staying in the regina gran.

• Stayed June 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank torkp1
Drogheda
Reviewed 24 June 2009

Stayed here in Regina Gran hotel for a week on the 16th June.
I went with my sister and had a great holliday.
The room was a nice standard size room, the bathroom was quite big, although the beds were a bit hard. Beds would suit people with bad backs. We had a nice pool view which was lovely.

The staff spoke good english, were very nice, polite and helpful.
The room was always very clean, the beds were made every day and we had fresh towels in our room too. Couldn't fault the hotel at all, apart fom the lack of sunbeds.
That was the only problem but everything else was great.

The food was was very good too. There was food to suit everyone, including vegetarians.
For breakfast there was a huge variety of food to choose from. There was a traditional Irish breakast, bacon, eggs, sausages, toast and much more. There was a lot of fruit juices, tea and coffee. For dinner there was also a great variety such as steak, turkey, lamb, fish, burgers,salads, roast dinners and a lot more. The desserts were to die for. Too much to choose from.
There was something to suit everyone, even fussy eaters.

The pool was a good size, big enough for everyone. I was dissapointed there weren't enough of sunbeds. I had to make sure to get up early to get one.

The hotel was very central, the beach was only a ten minute walk away.
The shops and reataurants were only a 5-10 minute walk.
The local busses were only a 5 minute walk.

Port Aventura was the high-light of our holliday and was just a 15 minute walk or you can get a shuttle train to and from the theme park. It is an amazing theme park.
There are rides there to suit all people of all ages from children to adults.
If you are going to Regina Gran hotel, Port Aventura is well worth a visit.

Overall we had a great holliday and are booking to go back there next year.

• Stayed June 2009