“Fab kids club!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 95 Hotels in Salou
Omagh, United Kingdom
“Fab kids club!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 June 2014

Just returned frm a week here, we had a brilliant family holiday and would definitely go back here next year, we already thinking bout it! Have to especially mention the kids club, our five year old really enjoyed it and the staff are fab! Great location to shops/beach and hotel is very clean, we had a family room which was very spacious. Food was average, we were half board, enjoyed the breakfast most!

Room Tip: We had young kids and were situated above the night entertainment which went on to midnight so ask f...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

3 Thank Lisa G
Direccion2013, General Manager at H10 Salauris Palace, responded to this review, 9 June 2014
Dear client,

On behalf of the whole team thank you very much for this positive review you have left and it would be a pleasure having you here again next year,if you want you can talk to our Public Relations and she can make you a club member so you'll have more advantages by visiting H10 Hotels!

Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (463)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Sheffield, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 June 2014 via mobile

Just returned from a week's holiday to Salou. I would definitely recommend this hotel to friends & family- the hotel is really clean and the food has been good overall. The only downside is sometimes the food was cold, but if you are wiling to queue there are some chefs who cook steak, burgers, fish & chips etc. Portaventura is definitely worth a visit but it is very expensive... However Chuppa Chups have got a promotion where you can get a 20 euro discount if you buy 3 packs of sweets (1.83 euros for 1 pack). We didn't realise until it was too late!! We also went to Barcelona by train, you can get a train straight to Barcelona from the train station at Portaventura which is only a ten minute walk. The train journey was longer than I expected.. Took about 1 hr 50 mins. If you get a return ticket to Barcelona it's about 17 euros and you need to validate your tickets when you return ( nobody told us this & we nearly missed our train!).

Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
7 Thank Katherine S
Dear client,

On behalf of the entire team thank you for leaving your review and all the information,we surtenly hope to have you staying with us again next year!

Southport, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 June 2014 via mobile

Just had a lovely week (May 31 - June 7) at the Salauris Palace! Staff, rooms, food and facilities were all spot on! The reception staff in particular we're very friendly and always happy to help!
It's only a short jaunt to the beach and the shops as well - great for families!

The weather was excellent and many an hour was spent on the hotel's adult only sun terrace (complete with jacuzzi!) and can't fault the service from the bar and restaurant staff.

Advice on local trips and excursions was always readily available at reception and free wifi is offered!

Would recommend to others!

Stayed June 2014
Dear client,

Thank you very much for sharing your experience and it is nice to hear that you had a nice holiday.
Please come and visit us again soon!

2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 June 2014

Me, my wife and son have just returned from a weeks stay in this hotel and as such for the first time in my life I feel compelled to review a hotel.

Firstly, the hotel is in an ideal location for the town and especially the PortAventura theme park which is superb and the adjacent Water Park. First class facilities just up the road.

What makes a trip is the quality of the place where you eat and sleep.

The hotel looks great and first impressions of facilities are very good however when you begin to sample what it actually has to offer then your enthusiasm is tempered.

We arrived Saturday 24th May. On Monday 26th I was asked by a couple in a lift 'how had I been?' I thought it a rather strange question but then the woman said she had been ill a couple of days before and many other guests had too and they had held a meeting in the foyer in front of reception. Reception had picked on the tone of the meeting (approx dozen people) and ushered them into bar for a free drink to continue their chat!. She said they had reported their sickness to the hotel but what more could they do. I have to admit that I took the comments with a pinch of salt.

Big day, Wednesday 28th. Trip to Barcelona planned. Football mad son really looking forward to it. Wife got up early to go to the loo. And then again. And again. And...well you get the picture. She had to wave the white flag and said she felt awful and couldn't make the trip so I was to go with my son only.

An hour into the journey to Barcelona a woman asked for a plastic bag from anyone on the bus 'cos her daughter had been sick,(come back to this later). My son, 10 minutes later, threw up on the bus also. We arrived at the Nou Camp, my son in his Barca kit but lacking his pre trip excitement. Within an hour we were heading back to Salou as he was too ill. I took ill when we arrived back at the hotel. So Wednesday 28th was sickness and runs, fever and chills.

Thursday 29th. Reported to reception. Recalling my conversation on Monday I asked what the illness was. 'It's not the food' It just so happened that the hotel had called their doctor for someone else and he was standing beside me at reception. How convenient. He explained it was an airborne virus affecting many people and schools all over Salou, Reus, Tarragona, Barcelona - The Costa Dorada.

I wasn't in a mood to think about what he'd said there and then after the day before, but thought later in the day of his words. Surely if so many people are succumbing to such an illness it would be a public health issue and we would require notification?. Airborne virus = dropping like flies. Really? Seems scary doesn't it?.

I asked reception, since this bug was so widespread then it would have a name and asked them to find out. They said they would do that. 'Come back tomorrow morning'.'It's not the food though' I asked how many people had been ill at the hotel, 'loads' (surprised by the answer) and so asked when did the bug start, 'just one week ago'. I asked about responsiibity & duty of care if so many people are ill. How do people prepare or prevent it happening?. It wasn't up to the hotel to tell incoming guests they said. They said they had told tour reps that there was illness in the area and they would tell incoming guests.

Friday 30th. We tried to have breakfast after a fasting Thursday. Milk for the cereal was warm & horrible. My son couldn't eat it.
I went to reception to find the nasty bug's name. Oh what's that? No name!. It's a bug, that's all. It's affecting so many people all over and no-one knows the bug name.
I asked if it is so widespread is it reported in the local papers, local television. 'No, it's a bug'
How many staff have been ill 'None' 'It's not the food, we eat here too'
Where did the bug start 'Don't know'
Did it start in the schools, to the parents of the children and then to the parents who work in the hotels or the other way around? 'don't know, it's only a bug, you get sick one or two days and then you're fine'
Q. If you could prove that a bug didn't originate from your hotel wouldn't you bend over backwards to provide information that proved that?.
A. Not if there's no mystery bug at all.

Friday afternoon, finally collared my Thomson rep.
We were the first guests he'd had who'd been ill with this so called bug at the hotel.
He hadn't heard that any other guests had been ill at the hotel.
He hadn't heard of the (alleged) bug rife over the Costa Dorada either. (sharp as a tack this one!)
Had he been told by the hotel to warn incoming guests, 'No, know nothing about that'

Q. So, who's the liar here?. Hotel for saying they'd told reps or rep who knows nothing of it?.

which leads us to...

The Restaurant. - Or the Canteen as we less than affectionately came to call it. It fell short in too many ways.

What were the microwaves for??

We were HB.
Breakfast - Warm milk for limited cereal choices. The cornflakes on offer were probably the cheapest on the market. Toasters that didn't toast. Machines for drinks!. And vegetables brought out from the night before!!. It's supposed to be 4 star. That machine for morning drinks shows a lack of customer service. And queues. Especially those for the useless toasters.

Dinner - After 2 days meals I was craving a HOT meal but that wasn't going to happen in here. Every plate you picked up to put your food on was cold, therefore there's little chance of getting a proper hot meal considering how much running around and waiting you have to do before getting back to your table. Also I didn't see one chef or kitchen assistant stick a thermometer in any meats out for service to check it was fit for service. Not once. And queues, again.

We didn't eat an evening meal in the hotel Wednesday through to Friday through illness and lack of trust in the food on offer and the lack of visible food safety measures.

Friday 30th - Hot evening meal in local bar. Walked back to hotel & passed family coming out of hotel who'd been on the same Barcelona trip. So unbeknown to us the girl who took ill on the bus was from the same hotel. (seems right!)
Went into hotel bar. Then witnessed a man walk his ashen faced visibly ill son out.
Shared lift back to 5th floor with couple newly arrived. They had been in the bar and viewed a girl being sick in her hands running to the toilets that evening. In their first few hours they'd also spoken to a family around the pool who'd been ill but hadn't reported it to anyone.

Is the message getting through?.

There are too many ill people at this hotel and a reluctance on the part of the hotel or tour companies or both to grasp the nettle.

Saturday 31st - Leaving day. Hurrah. Asked for the bug name. 'No name, you get sick, you feel better, that's all'
Well, that's rubbish as it happens to be the most expensive week of your year.

Salou has plenty to offer and is worth a visit, Sadly this hotel is not the place to stay and certainly not at a 4 star rating price.

Room Tip: If required, obtain a private doctor through your holiday company NOT the hotel. This problem requir...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
17 Thank Andrew G
Glasgow, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 June 2014

Stayed for 14 nights late May and it's a great hotel by Spanish standards all except the food. The rooms are great, the bars are great, the pool is great, all areas have air con including the rooms.

The food is mostly terrible but now and then (about 4 times in 14 days) astoundingly good, we had roast ham, roast chicken, roast beef and even had freshly cooked sirloin steaks to order!! The breakfasts are ghastly and on a normal day the dinner was unspeakably yuck! However, these guys operate on a budget and this means you can holiday for less overall. You do get to suit yourself for lunch as it's half board so nip down to the road at the beach, turn right and walk 500yds to mcdonalds or burger king next door to it.

I'm a chef and fully trained in all aspects of food hygiene and know fully the symptoms, incubation periods etc etc of food poisoning as I should after years of experience at college and work. So let me tell you categorically and once and for all--there was no incident of food poisoning at this hotel at all. There was a bug going round a group of 30 lady swimmers from Renfrew which they themselves arrived with (they told me themselves). They said it had gone from room to room (food poisoning does not discriminate, everyone gets it who eats the same thing and everyone gets it at exactly the same time, usually 24 hrs later).

All of the above plus my wife and one or two others getting severe sunstroke, led to a few visits by a local doctor thus sparking off malicious gossip from those who presume rather than know.

We would have enjoyed our stay more had it not been for my wife's sunstroke (which would have affected me too had I not stayed in bed half the day with a hangover!! Carling extra cold on tap in the hotel and at the pool!! how could I refuse??

The staff and management are all nice and friendly and nothing is too much trouble.

All in all IT IS a 4 star hotels as far as Spanish hotels go, I have stayed in better, yes but I have stayed in far more that are worse over the years.

Room Tip: pool facing rooms are great and the other side faces portaventura-watch their fireworks at the weeke...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
5 Thank FraserRFC
Direccion2013, General Manager at H10 Salauris Palace, responded to this review, 6 June 2014
Dear guest,

We apreciate your comment about clearing up this matter and we hope it puts everybody's mind at ease.We have as you said a really strict control on the food and in the kitchen,and there was a "virus" and also at the UK. Sorry for if your stay here with us wasn't up to your expectations and we are doing our best to improve year after year.
We surtenlly hope to see you again in the future.

My kindest regards,

Manager.
Cheltenham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 June 2014

We stayed at the hotel for a week a couple of weeks back as part of a package deal with Thomas Cook.

We arrived at the hotel mid morning, and were unable to get into our room until mid afternoon, but this was not a problem for us and was expected. They provide a luggage room which has changing facilities and toilets for you to use. We just changed and made our way to the pool where we spent the day until we could get into our room.

We had a room on the 4th floor facing the road with views across to Porta Ventura, large balcony that got the sun in the mornings. Rooms have recently been refurbished and are fresh and clean. Free use of fridge and safety deposit box in the rooms which was a nice touch.

The hotel pool is gorgeous, and was always plenty of sunbeds whenever you wanted them regardless of the time of day. They don't open the doors to the pool bvery early which minimises the reserving of sunbeds. Lifegaurd on duty aswell so nice and safe for children etc...

Bar staff were walkng around constantly by the pool and would take and bring you food and dribk orders which was a nice service. We ate by the pool bar a couple of times and thought the food was quick, decent quality and fairly reasonable.

The rooftop pool area and sunbathing terrace was fabulous. We spent a number of days here, as again was always room at anytime of day and nice and peaceful as no children allowed. The jacuzzi was headed, and you could enjoy views over to porta ventura while relaxing in it.

The dinig room was ok, and if you went either early for dinner or fairly later in the service times you did not have to wait for a table which was great. They tried to seat people as quickly as they could to avoid excessive queuing. You order drinks at the table and then pay on exit from the dining room each night. The food itself was ok, couple of nice touches with burgers one night and a choclate fountain which we enjoyed. Outside of this I thought the food was a bit samey - meat, fish, salad and chips....! It would be nicer if the hotel did some theme nights, italian, indian, spanish, chinese and british. Would have also been nice to have some pizzas on some of the evenings for a chage. Breakfast was pretty decent though and plenty on offer including fresh omlettes and fried eggs, pastries, cooked brekkie, meats, cheeses, breads, fruit etc... free juices and hot drinks provided at breakfast.

We spent a few evenings in the bar, and thought the waiting staff were very good and quick. Good selection of cocktails available which were yummy. The entertainment itself was a bit lacking and not to my taste. We ended up having 2 contortionsit acts back to back on consecutive days. Once you have seen one you have seen them all. Looked like some better entertainment acts the second week when we were heading home.

The hotel is close to a number of facilities, supermarkets, bars and restaurants just down the road and 10 min walk to the beach (which is fabulous).

We went to Barcelona and tarragona on the train, but note that you do not need to walk all the way to Salou central station. If you go out of the hotel and turn left, at the end of the read you will see the sol hotel at the roundabout. Turn right and just up the road is porta ventura train station. We used this on both occassions.

Salou itself is beautiful and plenty to do, lots of bars and restaurants as well as coffee and ice cream parlours. There are lots of shops too for fashion, footwear and Sounveniers.

All in all a really great week, and loved the hotel (excluding some of the food - which the hotel could do with improving on a little bit to make it a true 4*). Would recommend staying here, and is a good choice for families and couples old and young.

Room Tip: We had a room facing the road and found this to be very quiet. try and get a room on a higher floor...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank daffodill12
Huddersfield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 May 2014

Just returned from our 14 night full board stay.Hotel is very good ,stayed here many times,rooms are spacious ,clean(bed linen changed every 3 days) and very comfortable.Food very good.All the staff are very helpful,we are members of the h10 chain rewards club. Hotel does get busy but just be patient,this is because it is good !..Will be returning September.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

3 Thank howard m
Direccion2013, General Manager at H10 Salauris Palace, responded to this review, 1 June 2014
Dear client,

Thank you very much for sharing your opinion and we are looking forward to your next stay with us in September!1