“Tired but functional”
Review of H10 Delfin

H10 Delfin
Ranked #20 of 93 Hotels in Salou
Reviewed 10 September 2013

My partner and I stayed from the 27/8 to 6/9. Generally it was a good stay but a few minor details really let the experience down.

We were pleasantly greeted and given our room on arrival (€52 down due to safe and tax) with no problems. On first inspection of the room on the 3rd floor overlooking the children's pool which was technically a 'sea view' room even though a neighbouring apartment blocked any chance of seeing the sea, seemed extremely clean. However, we found that there must have been a small hole in the bath which had basically been plastered over and looked ugly as well as a broken plug in the sink. Sleeping on the bed was like laying on concrete with a sheet on top; as the week passed, both of us began to feel the strain of such a hard bed. His knees began to hurt and my shoulder locked up. We also had twin beds when we asked for a double.

Location wise, the hotel is excellent. It's a 10 minute walk to the Portaventura parks and about 15 to the train station, which are both very easy to find. It is 2 minutes or so away from the beach front and literally round the corner from what I will call the market strip, even though they're not stalls but tat souvenirs shops.

The maid on the 3rd floor was lovely and made us feel very welcome. She also did an excellent job every day. The restaurant and pool area was also exceptionally clean most of the time but I was disappointed with their staff. Don't be fooled by the images on the Easyjet site and here: the pool and surrounding area is tiny!

The food in the restaurant was repetitive. I didn't mind the mains but my partner really did not like them. We ended up eating out for the last 5 nights of the trip. Breakfasts were fairly good but not the best quality of food I have had in other 4* restaurants.

My main gripe which I think ruined my perception of the hotel was an incident on 4/9. A group of adults with learning difficulties had come to the hotel maybe the day before and were staying on our floor. One of the men was very charismatic and liked to try to speak to everyone which was lovely, until he befriended the daytime entertainment staff. The male member as well as the first aid boy who couldn't have been older than about 20 decided it would be a great idea to put Gangnam Style on over the speakers around the pool. They gave this man a microphone and encouraged him on stage to sing along. Once that song had ended, they played with the music tracks while still encouraging the man to sing and dance while they and others laughed hysterically at him. I thought that this was very cruel and disgusting behaviour to use someone's disability as entertainment.

Overall, I think this is a 3 star posing as a 4 star hotel and not doing it very well. Generally needs a bit of improvement.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank GeorgiAlz

Reviewed 7 September 2013

Again an excellent service from staff, and the maid service was fantastic. Everywhere was again spotlessly clean, rooms cleaned every day and thoroughly.

Meals were as good as ever, with a spotless well kept restaurant, with such a wide variety to eat.

This time I have dropped a point only for the fact the beds were 'Rock Hard', no good for anyone with a back problem, they really were like sleeping on a board, but this was the only fault, but I've pointed this out in case anyone does have a problem with very firm mattresses, could make a difference to them.

All in all I would go back, no hesitation, superb hotel.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank SunSearcher225
Reviewed 29 August 2013

Stayed here for a week in August with my partner and young son. We had a great holiday overall and the hotel is in a great central location. We slept well, although there can be some noise until about midnight from neighbouring hotels. I wouldn't say it was too intrusive, though. The main advantages - it's spotlessly clean, in a great location and the food is really good. The pool area is well kept and the staff were helpful and friendly. The only real complaint I had was the extra 'charges' put on by the hotel, such as hire charges for the fridge, safety deposit and even the table tennis bats!!! The rooms are a bit small, but we managed fine and the beds were very comfortable. I noticed that it will be an 'Adults only' hotel with some operators from next summer, so I doubt I will be here again, which is a shame because it suited a family well. A good choice if you don't mind paying the extra charges!!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank angemorange
Reviewed 27 August 2013

Just returned from a week stay here at delfin park and found the hotel very clean and staff also very friendly, the staff wasn't rude at all it was the other guests. The breakfast was brilliant a bit of everything for everyone, the main meal wasn't that good if your not a fussy eater then you are fine although there are some lovely places to eat near by like Danny boys and el toro don't go to the Chinese though that wasn't nice at all. The room walls are thin but ear plugs sorted that out overall we enjoyed our stay at delfin park and would defo go again :-)

• Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed 20 August 2013

Stayed here 8th-19th July with my husband and 16 year old daughter. Lets start with the positives.
1. Very clean hotel, rooms cleaned daily.
2. Great location for beach, bars and shops.
3. Emailed in advance, asked for a top floor room with pool view and was given it.
4. Staff are friendly.

Sadly there were some negatives.
1. On arrival slapped with fridge, safe, tourist tax and wifi extras. Nearly 100 euro with deposits before we got to our room.
2. We paid for a triple room, which is the same size as a double (already compact enough) with an extra bed. Tight to say the least. Beds hard as rocks.
3. Walls are paper thin. Got a bang on the wall when we tried to watch the news at 11pm.
3. We paid for full board, meals were uninspiring with cheap cuts of meat and fish. Show cooking was a joke. Desserts the same every day. 2.50 euro for a bottle of water with your meal.
Forget about other drinks - cost 6.00 euro for a small orange juice and coke.
4.Entertainment - We are a middle aged couple and found the entertainment geared towards either little ones or OAP's - cruise style crooning. We only watched the Flamenco show and the parrot show, went out for the rest of the time.
5. Not enough space around the pool to put out beds. People very territorial about using the same space every day.
Clientele mainly Dutch, Russian and French - not willing to mix.
Overall an OK hotel, but as previously stated have had more enjoyable times in three star hotels elsewhere.

Room Tip: Ask for a top floor room with pool view.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank sunshinebabe70
Reviewed 18 August 2013

We stayed at the delfin park week 4th - 11th August and loved every minute of it. Safe is a little expensive €17 + €10 deposit but I would rather pay this than lose my passport and other important items. We are fussy eaters but we found the food to be lovely, a wide variety and we always had something to eat every morning and night, don't understand all the bad complaints, we couldn't fault it. Reception staff were very welcoming and helpful, we asked for a pool view room and we got it, rooms were very clean and the cleaners were always working and this was to be seen in our room each day. Restaurant manageress was lovely, always greeted us with a smile and 'hello', (we are in Spain, we should attempt speaking their language, after all we are in their country). Like other reviews have said the walls are paper thin but how long do you spend in your room, we are on holidays so we like to see what this beautiful country has to offered, and it has a lot. Highly recommend 'down hill biking', day trip to aquarium then free time in Barcelona, portaventura theme park, day trip to nou camp in Barcelona, aquapolis water park/dolphin show......... so much to mention. We didn't book any trips through the rep as we found these to be more expensive, we bought our trips through the bus depot 'la plana' they can be found in La Pineda and Salou( when here also ask for a bus pass card, a lot cheaper than paying with cash). Overall our holiday was fantastic and we will looking forward to going back to the delfin park again :-)

Tracey & Jeff
Northern Ireland

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a pool view, very nice :-)
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 August 2013

Me and my 2 boys stayed here between 3rd and 12th august, as stated in other reviews the greeting on reception was great, friendly and the hotel looked really nice. Luckily I was the only one over 16 so the government tax only cost me €5 .. the room was compact but very clean. I did get the safe which I thought was ridiculous at €17+10 deposit but needs must I suppose when you can't trust anyone!

Now the fridge situation, I used as pen to slide in the top and shut the door, you can plug the fridge in and it works but you just need to shut it! I hear screams of "you tight git" .but why should I pay to keep things cold!! 4* hotel and that???? Should be free... And as for the Wi-Fi, that's expensive too €20 per device.... Pffft

Food-- it was OK, I found lots of nice fresh things to eat and the salad was great, also if you like sausages there are at least 6 choices for breakfast!! Scrambled egg was just to my liking though,...also everything seems to taste of lemons.. is the owner a lemon farmer??

Entertainment -- if you are expecting west end musical , watch TV... it was cheesy, amateur and lots and lots of fun..if you like that sort of thing, which I do.. You particularly have to see the moulin rouge night... Hilarious!

On the whole I would say I enjoyed the holiday and so did my kids, but it's going to an adult only hotel next year so can't go back even if I wanted to....

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family