“nice but terrible staff”
Review of California Garden

California Garden
Ranked #61 of 93 Hotels in Salou
Reviewed 17 July 2013

We came here for a week, we got back on 16th July 2013. Overall the hotel was quite nice, the rooms were cleaned everyday, the pool was nice. The only major fault was the staff. They was awful, not one of them could speak a word of English, your trying to ask the reception desk for help and advice, and all they did was smile and laugh at you as if you were telling them a joke. They we're extremely rude, we went half board, on the way to the dining room you had to show a card to show you was eligible for there meals, Spanish people in front of us had a laugh and joke with the dining staff, as soon as it came to us or any English people they had a face like a smacked bottom and they didn't say a word, just pointed in a direction and we saw one woman making fun out of an English man struggling to walk. The food was disgusting, we had dinner there one night, the rest of the time we'd rather pay money elsewhere to get proper meals, and on an evening there was no tea, coffee, or even water unless you went up to the bar which was then 2 euros for a small glass bottle of water.

On our last day we was leaving late but had to be out of our room by 10am, so the receptionist gave us a key card so we could leave our luggage in the luggage room on the basement floor. She didn't tell us what to do with the card, just gave us it without saying a word. We was going up and down in the lift like a yo yo, we was supposed to swipe the card in the lift to take us to the basement floor, but there were no instructions for this, then the card didn't work, we took it back to the reception desk, the woman just laughed and gave us another card, no apology or anything.

The entertainment was terrible, we saw one good show in a week with 4 Spanish tap dancers which was very enjoyable. There wasn't any description for the entertainment. Just a poster of a man and woman and that was it.

All in all the hotel was very nice, but the staff was awful, food was awful, the general foreign people in the area was awful, me and my girlfriend got dirty looks everywhere we went, along with other English people there we got friendly with. The only reason we came here was as it was extremely close to Port Aventura, which is a 10 minute walk at the most, but we would certainly never visit this hotel again. There was a bar 3 doors down called Linda's Bar which was an English bar with extremely friendly and helpful staff, the food was lovely as well at an affordable price. My girlfriend was sick on the first day and Linda was very helpful in this situation and seemed like she actually cared unlike the foreign people, so if you come to this hotel, i guarantee you would spend most of your time there.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Jamie D
Write a ReviewReviews (1,016)

Reviewed 14 July 2013

just back from california gardens salou loved everything swiming pool lovely hotel very clean rooms cleaned everyday clean towels friendly staff good locaction read all the reviws before i went i can honserly say i was shocked how nice this place is food could be better but allways something there to eat would i go back YES allready looking for next year thank you to all the staff that made us welcome i had the first floor room at front of hotel next to the disco never heard a thing cant wait to return :)

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank Julie J
Reviewed 13 July 2013

So I read all the reviews and was a bit worried before we arrived but were pleasantly surprised when we got here. The hotel was exceptionally clean. They have an English speaking member of staff on the reception 24hrs a day. Everyone is polite. The rooms are nice but basic (no fridge) there is a tv, we even found channel 36 with English music for when we were getting ready :-). Your room gets cleaned everyday. Unless you are asleep in there and they will either come back later or put a do not disturb sign on your door. There are 2 pools one for the self catering side and one for the half board side but you can use both. As I am sure you have already read the foods a bit naff. It's not too traumatic. The breakfast is ok you can get fruit, cereal, full English stuff and toast. I M quite a fussy eater so struggled with the evening meal but there was always something I could eat. There is loads of choice. Tbh thou I think I paid something like an extra £30 to upgrade from self catering to half board and I have had more than my money's worth! If its not ur thing there are a million bar and restaurants you. An go too out side the hotel. It is in a really good location. All in all I would deffinatly recommend.

• Stayed: July 2013
3  Thank Loubyla
Reviewed 4 July 2013

We arrived at the hotel, it was lovely and clean with a nice pool.
The receptionist was ok, just didn't make you feel very welcome im not sure if this was due to her basic English language.

we had to pay added tax on arrival which we were not told about which was fine but would of been nice to of been aware before arrival, ( wasn't a lot of money about 5 euros for 5 days so im guessing a euro a day)

We were happy with our room it was clean and reasonably spacious, the bathroom was also very clean and looked nice. Unfortunetly we had a room which was facing the road, which not only wasn't a nice view but was rather loud, luckily myself and my partner as deep sleepers so this wasn't a problem but if your not then make sure you are on the pool side of the hotel.

The food was absolutely disgusting!!!!!!! we were half board and we didn't eat there at all after experiencing one dinner!!!.....nothing tasted right, it was very basic food and even that didn't taste nice at all. I think the only thing I could eat was chips and they were greasy!!
I would say not to pay to go half board as your wasting your money, the food is horrid...

One other thing is that we all got kicked off our sun beds and out of the pool at half 5 in the evening, by the lifeguard and didn't talk any English so I couldn't understand what he was asking us to do, he was just clapping and shaking his head and gesturing at every one in the pool and on the beds,... which I found very odd as the sun was still out and a lot of people still round the poolside...

Overall I would stay at this hotel again, just without the food and eat out...

Room Tip: Pool side rooms are the best, no noise and get the sun on the balcony also..
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Sophieandluke588
Reviewed 4 July 2013

We came her for a week - end of June first week of July. Hotel looked ok and in a good area. Check in was quick and painless. We was put in room 303 on the third floor, we had asked for a non smoking room and pretty sure this was not one!! Rooms are small and basic but the beds were like kids beds - had asked for a double room but these were 2 kids beds pushed together - not even full size singles! The patio door was broken and had been shut with a screw holding it shut - reported this but after 2 very hot nights my husband had to use my twezzers to open the door with which then was left unlocked the remainder of our stay! The a/c was a joke - it actually pumped out Tobacco which was actually gut wrenching so we had to keep the patio door open all night and in the process was eaten by mosquitos!! A very very noisy hotel, bars and clubs locally are open til 6am and then you might get some sleep - cannot express enough how much noise there was.
Food was sort of ok - breakfast is probably the best meal.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank sallyann p
Reviewed 3 July 2013

I had been nervous about staying here after reading the reviews but I was pleasantly surprised. The room and the hotel itself was very attractive, clean and modern and looked just like the brochure picture. The pools were good and there were always enough sun loungers, even in the afternoon. The food was fairly ok, everything was very salty and there wasn't much variety but we still managed to eat well every day. Although at peak times during breakfast and dinner we did have to queue to get a table as it was very busy.
My complaints would be the staff who were generally rude and unhelpful, especially the man on the door to the restaurant. The walls are also very thin and there is a lot of noise from other rooms and the main road outside. But overall, a very enjoyable stay!

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank hannahyyy
Reviewed 2 July 2013

we just got back from an 11 night stay and all in all we had a very good stay.We were allocated in room 761 which is on the 7th floor and although the lift only goes to the 6th floor this was not a problem for us and in fact the room and balcony was bigger than the standard room which was a bonus.The balcony was very private and so sunbathed on there every day rather than going down to the pool or the beach.The hotel was very central for shops and the beach front and a short walk to the bus stop from where you can get a bus to canbrils and other places.The food in the hotel was good and we could always find something to eat.The didning room manager was very friendly and always spent time talking to you when going in for your mealOur room was cleaned every day and towels changed also.The only down side was there was no fridge to keep water cold.We already have plans to return to this hotel

Room Tip: room on the 7th floor are bigger and have bigger balconys which are very private
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple