“"California Garden"”

Ranked #61 of 93 Hotels in Salou
Skipton
“"California Garden"”
Reviewed 18 August 2013

I have just returned from this hotel in Salou (5th - 17th August 2013) and to be honest I was very disappointed. The majority of the staff were very rude (especially the receptionists) with the exception of some lovely ladies that were very pleasant in the dining area. They made the effort to communicate in both English and Spanish and made a real fuss of my two girls aged 5 & 6.

The rooms are very small and basic, but they are cleaned daily and clean towels are replaced daily. I would definitely recommend that you hire a fridge on arrival. There are plenty of supermarkets and shops to purchase drinks at a fraction of the cost in the hotel or the local cafe's / bars. At one place (Robin Hood's - true to their name) I paid 10 Euros for five small diet Pepsi drinks!!

Entertainment was really poor and as I was also travelling with my two boys aged 15 & 17, it was hard to occupy all the children. With this in mind I bought a weekly pass for PortAventura. I bought this pass before I went from Attraction Tickets Direct and was much cheaper than buying direct from the Theme Park. We had 5 days in the theme park and 2 days in the Costa Caribe water park. Both parks are very good - but slightly disappointed with the height restrictions for some of the kiddie rides, as my 5 year old was unable to go on many of the rides both at the Theme Park and the Water Park.

The location of the hotel was why I chose to stay here and was perfect walking distance to both the Theme Park and the beach. Approx. 10 minutes to Theme Park and approx. 5 minutes to the beach. It is ideal for the many shops and restaurants and bars. Just down the road from the hotel is 'Linda's Family Bar' and this was where we went to purchase our drinks and the boys would play pool and access the internet. Very friendly and highly recommended.

I initially paid for Half Board, but due to their being five people in total, I upgraded to Full Board after a few days - however, It is very disappointing that you do not get any drinks with your meals (not even water) and these have to be paid for on top of the costs already incurred. I have always stayed All Inclusive prior to this holiday and this will be a priority when booking any future holiday.

Not many English people as guests, the majority were either Spanish or French. The entertainment schedule is therefore geared for the Spanish guests. My little girls were looking forward to the 'Mini Disco' but even this was a washout!! Overall the location of this hotel is the major selling point for this hotel and everything else leaves a lot to be desired. Not a place I will be visiting again anytime soon.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank EmpireState1972

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (133)
Milton Keynes
Reviewed 7 August 2013

I am very disappointed at this hotel. the staff were rude on reception except the male receptionist. The food was not varied at all and not much choice for children. The sheets in the rooms were not changed as we tested the theory by marking them. Just to make you aware you cannot hire an iron from this hotel however there is a Draq beach down the road which you can hire. never saw a Thomas Cook Rep either. All this hotel has going for it is its location and that's about it! The entertainment was Spanish. Rather rubbish hotel would not recommend at all!

3 Thank Lorrainec02

Travellers are raving about these Salou hotels

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 July 2013

The only good thing about this hotel is your extremely close to the beach and bars. however if you are looking for more then location I would go here again.

I didn't find the staff very friendly at all throughout our stay. our meals were included with our stay however you still have to purchase drinks with your meal, they didn't even offer water included which you would think would be included with a sit down meal.

There was 3 of us for our room booking however all they done was stuck a bed in a normal size room which left no room at all and living out of a suitcase for the week as we couldn't unpack.

Food was average but would suggest eating out instead as there are lots of places to eat.

Overall Everything but location was Poor but it all depends what your looking for on a holiday

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
6 Thank Jade C
Leicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 July 2013

After reading reviews on here I was worried about our holiday here from 18th to 27th July 2013.
It was lovely! The staff at hotel were all really nice too!
The room was small, but cleaned every day.
The pool was cleaned early every morning every day and the food was delicious, not very hot, but I don't like my food too hot.
I went with my children aged 11 and 3, They had the best time ever!
Even though not many English there while we were there it was still lovely.
We would go here again in future.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank lisacarr70
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 July 2013

this hotel is clean the cleaners were like busy bees spotless. the matre d new his job nothing got past him. very up to speed some of the other staff need to learn to smile the food was ok hot and cold there were some people who always complain but cooks job was always going to be thankless the location is centre for town and 10 mins from the beach would I go back yes but not in july far to hot but that's not the hotels fault the life saver needs to stop babys going into pool with no nappies on its a dirty habit that needs stopping. we got room facing street so good nights sleep

Room Tip: ask for room facing street not pool ....pool rooms also facing disco
1 Thank david b
Congleton, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 July 2013

We arrived here on Saturday 27th July 2013 on an evening flight with Jet2 holidays and were just in time for the evening meal (we were full board unfortunately!) which was a complete letdown as there was hardly any food left and what was left was awful and tasteless! DO NOT bother staying full board at this hotel as you will be very disappointed. There is barely any choice, the chips are cold most nights along with all the rest of the food and we were ill most of the time from eating here! Breakfast isn't too bad as there is the choice of a full English breakfast, cereal and toast etc. Breakfast is the only decent meal of the day will you get so make the most of it! As for the staff the head waiter is very arrogant and is like someone out of the German Gestapo demanding to look at your restaurant card every night even though he's seen you the past however many times... very weird!!! Clearly dislikes all nationalities apart from Spanish. The sulky waitresses can't wait to whip your plate away even when you've just put a full plate of food down and nipped back for something else! The receptionists are also very arrogant and extremely unhelpful, clearly dislike English travellers also and the answer to everything you ask is 'NO NOT POSSIBLE!'. Don't bother asking to keep your room if you are travelling home on a late flight like we were as again that will be one big NO despite the useless rep saying we could do this no problem for 20 euros. The luggage room is downstairs in the basement and you have to use a key card in the lift to access it which was absolutely ridiculous as arrogant Spanish guests just barge into the lift before you! Supposedly 'unaware' you are trying to reach the luggage room with your cases which are partly in the lift! Very very rude!!!!!!! This hotel is clearly aimed at Spanish guests and if you are any other nationality you will not be made to feel welcome as were we. We just received dirty looks off every Spanish guest the whole time we were there. The rooms are very small and not cleaned properly, a leaf was on the floor of our room the day we arrived and was still there on the day we left! The location of the hotel is ok within close reach of the beach and a few shops. At night you will always be pestered to go to 'Linda's bar' down the road from the hotel and eventually get sick of being asked. Overall the holiday was ok and Salou is a nice little seaside town brilliant for families and the younger generation but staying at this hotel ruined our holiday and we shall never ever return to it as it is clearly more for Spanish guests and should be a 2 star!!! Very disappointed.

Room Tip: The best tip I can give you is to tell you NOT to stay here!
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
6 Thank Natasha484
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 July 2013

Just back from 5 night stay and we found the hotel ok for a last minute break. The rooms are basic but clean our room was on the side near a side road which didn't disturb us and we thought better than a poolside room. We arrived very early and was given a card to use the luggage room until our room was ready. My only problem with the room was NO Hair dryer which I never thought about packing because there's normally one in the room. You can hire them from reception but at 11 Euro for 5 days was a bit of a rip off( I'll read the room contents better in the future) We stayed half board and found the food ok with breakfast being better than the evening meal. The food was what you'd expect from a buffet warm but plenty. The guests are international but we didn't have a problem however a lot of young adults started arriving this week and it started to get a little noisy late at night. We wouldn't choose to go again but we did enjoy our stay.

Room Tip: Ask for the main hotel
2 Thank Debra G