“Very nice it should be 4 star hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of California Garden

California Garden
Ranked #59 of 94 Hotels in Salou
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Very nice it should be 4 star hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 September 2013

Me and my wife spent five days at the hotel in September 2013.
I think the bad reviews are unfair, because the hotel is very nice and it should be 4 stars hotel.

The hotel location is excellent: it is 5 min walking from beach, 10 min walking from the market, and 15 min walking from train station. also it is 2 min walking from the tourist service center, free WiFi spot, taxi station and finally the bus traveling services( to visit Barcelona).

Hotel rooms are very clean, and has nice furniture, my room it was not pool view so it was very quiet and it had a double balcony L shape(corner room).

The Food was very good, pure Spanish, the drinks were not included in the lunch and dinner.

It is only 16.40 euro return ticket for Barcelona, Salon is very nice small coastal city, we can swim in four different beaches.

Room Tip: Rooms without pool view are very quite.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank omar b

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (127)
Whitby, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 September 2013

went to salou for the first time aug 13 stayed at this hotel I found the staff at reception very ignorant had to pay for drinks ,wifi food was rank we went full board I couldn't eat most of what was served this hotel cater for Spanish people not English I recommend Lindas café just down the road lovely food at great prices and the black bull in the evening both very welcoming if I went to salou again which I don't think I will I would go room only as the rooms were cleaned every day but the sunbeds were dirty they were just piled up every day in my opinion they should be cleaned at least once a week

Room Tip: At the front of the hotel due to noise from night clubs
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Avis W
Skipton
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2013

I have just returned from this hotel in Salou (5th - 17th August 2013) and to be honest I was very disappointed. The majority of the staff were very rude (especially the receptionists) with the exception of some lovely ladies that were very pleasant in the dining area. They made the effort to communicate in both English and Spanish and made a real fuss of my two girls aged 5 & 6.

The rooms are very small and basic, but they are cleaned daily and clean towels are replaced daily. I would definitely recommend that you hire a fridge on arrival. There are plenty of supermarkets and shops to purchase drinks at a fraction of the cost in the hotel or the local cafe's / bars. At one place (Robin Hood's - true to their name) I paid 10 Euros for five small diet Pepsi drinks!!

Entertainment was really poor and as I was also travelling with my two boys aged 15 & 17, it was hard to occupy all the children. With this in mind I bought a weekly pass for PortAventura. I bought this pass before I went from Attraction Tickets Direct and was much cheaper than buying direct from the Theme Park. We had 5 days in the theme park and 2 days in the Costa Caribe water park. Both parks are very good - but slightly disappointed with the height restrictions for some of the kiddie rides, as my 5 year old was unable to go on many of the rides both at the Theme Park and the Water Park.

The location of the hotel was why I chose to stay here and was perfect walking distance to both the Theme Park and the beach. Approx. 10 minutes to Theme Park and approx. 5 minutes to the beach. It is ideal for the many shops and restaurants and bars. Just down the road from the hotel is 'Linda's Family Bar' and this was where we went to purchase our drinks and the boys would play pool and access the internet. Very friendly and highly recommended.

I initially paid for Half Board, but due to their being five people in total, I upgraded to Full Board after a few days - however, It is very disappointing that you do not get any drinks with your meals (not even water) and these have to be paid for on top of the costs already incurred. I have always stayed All Inclusive prior to this holiday and this will be a priority when booking any future holiday.

Not many English people as guests, the majority were either Spanish or French. The entertainment schedule is therefore geared for the Spanish guests. My little girls were looking forward to the 'Mini Disco' but even this was a washout!! Overall the location of this hotel is the major selling point for this hotel and everything else leaves a lot to be desired. Not a place I will be visiting again anytime soon.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank EmpireState1972
Milton Keynes
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2013

I am very disappointed at this hotel. the staff were rude on reception except the male receptionist. The food was not varied at all and not much choice for children. The sheets in the rooms were not changed as we tested the theory by marking them. Just to make you aware you cannot hire an iron from this hotel however there is a Draq beach down the road which you can hire. never saw a Thomas Cook Rep either. All this hotel has going for it is its location and that's about it! The entertainment was Spanish. Rather rubbish hotel would not recommend at all!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Lorrainec02

Travellers are raving about these Salou hotels

London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2013

The only good thing about this hotel is your extremely close to the beach and bars. however if you are looking for more then location I would go here again.

I didn't find the staff very friendly at all throughout our stay. our meals were included with our stay however you still have to purchase drinks with your meal, they didn't even offer water included which you would think would be included with a sit down meal.

There was 3 of us for our room booking however all they done was stuck a bed in a normal size room which left no room at all and living out of a suitcase for the week as we couldn't unpack.

Food was average but would suggest eating out instead as there are lots of places to eat.

Overall Everything but location was Poor but it all depends what your looking for on a holiday

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
6 Thank Jade C
Leicester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2013

After reading reviews on here I was worried about our holiday here from 18th to 27th July 2013.
It was lovely! The staff at hotel were all really nice too!
The room was small, but cleaned every day.
The pool was cleaned early every morning every day and the food was delicious, not very hot, but I don't like my food too hot.
I went with my children aged 11 and 3, They had the best time ever!
Even though not many English there while we were there it was still lovely.
We would go here again in future.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank lisacarr70
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2013

this hotel is clean the cleaners were like busy bees spotless. the matre d new his job nothing got past him. very up to speed some of the other staff need to learn to smile the food was ok hot and cold there were some people who always complain but cooks job was always going to be thankless the location is centre for town and 10 mins from the beach would I go back yes but not in july far to hot but that's not the hotels fault the life saver needs to stop babys going into pool with no nappies on its a dirty habit that needs stopping. we got room facing street so good nights sleep

Room Tip: ask for room facing street not pool ....pool rooms also facing disco
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple