“Awful hotel”

Ohtels Vil.la Romana
Ranked #1 of 93 Hotels in Salou
“Awful hotel”
Reviewed 12 June 2014 via mobile

Today is the 6th day at this hotel. I came here with a 8 months old baby. That was a mistake: every evening from 9 to 12 my baby can't sleep because of animation. It is soooo loud that if you close balkony door, you hear everything. Baby is crying till 12. Also the reception woman is not helpful and nice at all. Asked for help 3 times and did not get any. For example, I asked a glass of hot water for baby, and you know, the glass of water is two euro... I need it three times a day. Also they don't clean the room - first day I had to wash floor because of sand and hairs on it - my baby is scrolling and I don't want him to touch it. I have one more week to stay here(((. Will never come back. And will write in all social networks and ask for repost. Newer go here with little children, it's awful place.

• Stayed June 2014
4 Thank Mila M
Pau A, Gerente at Ohtels Vil.la Romana, responded to this review, 21 June 2014
Dear Clients,

We apologise for any inconvinience we could cause to your baby. But we do have an entertainment program we need to respect for the rest of our guests.

For the next time if you have a problem like that I recomend you to ask a change of room to your rep or at the reception, they will do it immediately. If we don't know which are your problems we can not help you.

I wish you would contact me at any time, I am always walking around the Hotel, from very early in the morning till late evenings.

We wish you the best.

Yours sincerely,

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (423)
  • Polish first
Portreath, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 June 2014

Returned just over a week ago after spending a week at this hotel during the May half term. This was our first time in Spain, having always spent holidays in France. This hotel was chosen due to it's location and good reviews. We arrived at around 11.30am and thankfully our room on the 3rd floor was ready. The room we thought was adequately sized for our needs, 2 adults and 2 children. There was a lot of welcome toiletries provided in the bathroom, and was topped up daily. Having read reviews, we found the towels to be not that bad. The ones we were provided with were not threadbare, so maybe the hotel had taken the advice of previous reviewers. The sofa bed was already made up for the children to sleep in, however they did complain that it wasn't very comfortable with the both of them in (two 11 year olds). Having a small fridge was a welcome addition, however it would not fit a 2 litre bottle of pop. Our balcony had a great view of Port Aventura and the neighbouring hotel and we didn't feel at a loss by not having a pool view. We had the morning sun, whereas the pool side gets the afternoon/evening sun.
The pool area was great with lots of sunbeds. Yes, lots of people reserve them, but there were always more stacked up around the sides if necessary. They were hosed down every single evening after the pool had closed, which was good to see. The pool was very cold though. The children neither minded nor cared and would spend the whole day in there! Adults, not so much. The pool bar was open in the afternoon for drinks and snacks. A diet coke cost us 2e30 I think. Hot dogs were approximately 3e50 which we didn't think was too bad.
The main promenade in Salou was approximately a 10-15 minute walk away. We felt quite safe (as 4 females) walking back of an evening, one evening being at midnight having returned from a day trip to Barcelona.
Port Aventura was again about a 15-20 minute walk away (for slow walkers). The land train stops directly outside the hotel on at least two of the routes. We walked to Port Aventura then got the land train back to the hotel. Adults were 3e and children 1.50e. Our rep gave us some good advice, that they should be used as a way of sightseeing, and not for travelling, as the money can add up on short journeys.
The food was lovely. They had special evenings on Monday, Wednesday and Friday (which we missed). Some things were repetitive, but there were always a few different dishes provided on the 'normal' evenings. Breakfast was also nice. A choice of eggs, bacon, sausages, mushrooms, tomatoes and chips! Chips for breakfast, lunch and dinner here! Yes, the queues can get long, but we always ate before 7.30pm and were seated quite quickly. The popcorn machine was going, providing those waiting in the queue with small bags of popcorn whilst they waited, which was a nice touch.
The little shop in the lobby has some essential bits. The lady who served us a couple of times was very pleasant. I bought the girls 2 lilos, and she lent us a pump to blow them up. A nice touch. The lady would also take money in the restaurant of an evening, again she was very nice and smiley.
The best thing about this hotel really is the animacio team. They all work really, really hard providing entertainment day and night. I found the children's disco to be a little repetitive, but the children loved it, which is what it's all about. On speaking to other people whilst out and about, some other hotels don't even provide entertainment. All three guys should really be commended on doing such a great job!
We did have a couple of issues, one being that our safe did not work for the first four days. Each time a technician was sent to repair it, but finally on day five, the front of the safe was replaced and it worked after that. The lady at reception was rather curt, and there was no way she was going to refund our money. We were sent to our room to wait for the technician. As we were going to Barcelona the next day and thus wouldn't be at the hotel for dinner, we wanted to order a packed lunch. By the time our safe was fixed and we came back downstairs, the deadline for packed lunch ordering had passed by about half an hour. Having asked the same lady at reception who told us to go to our room, for a packed lunch, she refused. Even though she knew we had been waiting for the technician! Secondly, we took a travel kettle, teabags, milk, sugar etc with us. All we needed was a spoon and 2 cups. No one, neither reception nor restaurant staff, would lend them to us. We had to buy 2 cheap mugs in town. We weren't planning on thieving them, and knowing how the English love their tea, we didn't think it would be too much to ask for to borrow some?
Whilst chatting to a couple just before we left, they said we should have spoken to the Manager. In hindsight we should have done as I'm sure he would've graciously helped us. He is a very happy chap who welcomed us into dinner, on more than one occasion.

I am already waiting for prices to be released for next year, and will definitely book this hotel again, despite the few niggles that we experienced. We had the most relaxing, delightful holiday! One last point to add, during our stay the air con was switched on. But the sensor for it is by the balcony door. The balcony door must be closed completely, before the air con will kick in.

Room Tip: Front of hotel rooms face Port Aventura and the hotel next door, the Salauris Palace. They have sun...
4 Thank Hazel3182
Dear Clients,

Thank you very much for all your comments, and also for choosing our Hotel for your holidays!!

We are looking forward to having you here again.

Next time if you have any incident please tell me as soon as posible, so I will react immediately to provide you a perfect service and holiday.

england
Reviewed 11 June 2014 via mobile

Great hotel , staff very friendly apart from one , restaurant good and well stocked , Henry who made are omlettes for breakfast was brilliant , all round a good hotel , the entertainment team need to encourage the kids to join in activies , because sometimes you didnt know when they where doing them , but they were good fun . Would go back again but the room could be better a sofa bed for two growing boys wasnt great , but overall holiday here was brill .

• Stayed May 2014
Dear Clients,

In the name of all Staff thank you very much for your comments.

We are thinking about refurbishing the deco in the rooms for next year. We will take all your comments into consideration.

We are looking forward to having you here again very soon.

Newcastle
Reviewed 10 June 2014

We chose this hotel for our first visit to the Costa Dorada from its very high rating on tripadvisor. That and I liked the look of it compared to others in the area which all look very samey. I tend to research, research, ummm and ahhh before committing to booking anywhere. However within minutes of reading some reviews and looking up some photos, I found a good rate and booked it. I emailed in advance to request a pool facing room, with emphasis on request, I didn't pay nor expect to get a pool facing room. I received a prompt reply indicating they had received my request and had made a note of it but could not guarantee it, which is fair enough. We arrived at around 1pm on the 28th of May, which was a very drab day, lots of guests had congregated in the large communal area by reception, making it very noisy and busy, but we were quickly checked in by a very helpful lady who advised we could have our room straight away. Check-in is 2pm. We paid our €1 per person per night tourist tax, in fact when the receptionist asked for it, she seemed sheepish as if I was about to shout at her about it, but thats probably because some people stupidly arrive not realising and take it out on the staff when they get a shock. It's not the hotel's charge, it's down to the Catalunya regional government.

Our room was on the 2nd floor and was pool facing which was great to see. The room itself was a strange , long triangular shape as it was in a corner of the building. I heard guests say the rooms were small, but because of the situation of our room, we found it really large. The downside of our room was there was no internal door between entering the room and the actual sleeping area, as there was in the the majority of the rooms. This might have helped reduce noise from the corridor, creating a buffer zone. As it was, the foot if my bed was about two feet from the door to the corridor and guests were often less than considerate at any hour, especially the children. The hotel walls were unbelievably thin. I could hear practically all conversations in the rooms either side. People's sleeping and bathroom habits included. Our bathroom was very smart, and included bath with shower over and a separate shower cubicle, again, not a common feature, it seems only the larger rooms in the angled corners of the hotel have the shower cubicle. There were complimentary toiletries and a hairdryer. I found the towels to be a fair standard, I realise many people moaned about those previously. TV was quite far away from the beds in this style of room, but you could sit closer on the sofa bed. Hardly any decent English speaking channels but then you don't come on holiday to watch TV. Its just wgen the weather is poor, as it was the first few days that it could have come in handy. A small mini fridge is provided in the room free of charge and great for drinks. We had no issue with connecting to the free wifi in our room on any devices. The free wifi and in room fridge were the only things that the rooms had going for them. Otherwise they don't appear or feel particularly 4 star. I found the blue decor, dark green curtains, yellow and green bedding and quite poor lighting made the room feel very oppressive. Had it bdsn sunnier I would gave been in the room less and probably not have cared as much, its just decor at the end of the day. I think though in the style of room we had, it would be better to swap the location of the beds with the sofabed, which was by the patio doors. I know that sounds picky, but maybe it might work better.

The restaurant was vast, with queues quite often for the evening meal. We were informed that on half board, we could swap our evening meal for lunch if we needed to, which we did once. You can also order pic-nics to take on trips, but let reception know the night before by 7pm. Having read some reviews from some people about food, I can only imagine these people would only be happy if there was a Mcdonalds, Burger King, KFC and a Greggs in a food hall versus the very balanced and nutritious array cuisine found in this restaurant. I can be picky, but I had three courses at every evening meal. The soups were all very tasty, excellent salad bar and always some themed show cooking, as well as a separate kids buffet. The French and Russian kids all ate well from the main buffets, it makes me sad to think of family's coming to Spain and demanding British food for their kids. Perhaps stay in Butlins next time. Sorry, a bit of a rant, but really the chef does an amazing job, and the offering's each meal time were substantial. Only downside is the price of the drinks to go with your meal. I do think €2.70 for a 33cl indivual bottle of pop is a little much. You can buy 2 litres in a supermarket for less. I suppose the attitude is, other hotel's charge similar so we will too.

I never used the gym, or indoor pool in the basement, nor did we watch any of the shows of an evening. Having no kids with us we did not feel the need to stay in the hotel at night. We did once use the separate quiter bar at the end of the lounge for a cocktail one night, reasonable at €5. However if you like cider, its a complete rip off. Everyday the animation team worked around the clock to keep people entertained, but in this family focussed hotel, we didn't involve ourselves. It is just nice flat ten minute stroll to the promenade and main shopping area. The resort area, we found to be really easy to get around and hardly anyone hassled you which was great. Fantastic beach, especially if you walk further along towards Cambrils. We hired bikes and peddled along there which I do recommend. It is only a short 15 minute walk to Portaventura or Costa Caribe waterpark. We used the chupachup promotion and git into Portaventura for €25 each instead of €45. Well worth it and a good day out, just be aware a lot of the rides will not start until 12pm. We spent almost two hours just walking about and waiting for them to start despite the park opening at 10am.

I stayed on in Salou for an extra three nights after checking out from this hotel. We moved next door to the Sol Costa Daurada which I will write a seperate review about. Hotel Vi la Romana is possibly a 4* hotel based on facilities. I just found the rooms lacking that something. Hard to say, but the rooms don't have a 4* feel. That said if you just use the room to sleep and change, then the hotel on the whole comes highly recommended. Especially if travelling with children. Any questions, I'd be happy if you get in touch.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
7 Thank TandWtraveller
Dear Clients,

Thank you very much for all your comments which we'll take into consideration in order to improve our establishment.

We are thinking of changing the deco in the rooms for next year, so your opinion in particular will help us a lot.

Thanks once again for your time.

We really hope to see you back in the Hotel very soon!!

Bournemouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 June 2014

Just spent a week at this hotel as a family of 4. The hotel is a great location for the theme park and water park and just a 5 min walk into the resort and 10 min walk to the beach. Hotel room was adequate although we had to ask for an extra mattress on the bed settee as with just the one mattress you could feel all the springs (This was done within an hour of our arrival). There wasn't a kettle in the room and they could not provide us with one. Room was cleaned daily. There was plenty of choice for breakfast including pancakes which my boys loved and the evening meals were ok. Plenty of choice but pretty much the same every night. The entertainment staff were great and we had a great game of catch the water balloon by the pool. Although the hotel policy was to NOT put towels over sunbeds everyone did this. However as the hotel is so near the theme park and water park there seemed to be enough for everyone, although not sure what it would be like further into the season. We would definitely go back again to this hotel as it was great value for money.

2 Thank markymark142
Dear Clients,

Thank you very much for choosing our Hotel.

We are treating all your comments and suggestions in order to improve our Hotel.

We have our staff in the pool in charge of security and also taking the towels off the sunbeds, when he realised they have not been for a long time. So that way we do always have sunbeds available.

Looking forward to having you here again!!

Harrow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 June 2014 via mobile

We have just returned from a one week stay at the Vi-la Romana. The check in process was both quick and stress free with the reception ladies doing a first class job. When you checkin there is a €7 per adult tax payable. This is a local Catalonian tax and has nothing to do with the holiday company.

Our room was on the third floor and overlooked the road. We had absolutely no problems with noise. The room itself was slightly on the small side but as we were out most of the time it was not a huge issue. What the room lacked in size it made up for in comfort. The beds and pillows were just fine as were the towels. The television had very limited channels
but who goes on holiday to watch TV?

The pool area is kept spotless, as is the rest of the hotel, although I would imagine it will get extremely cramped around the pool in high season. The poolside snack bar was a huge disappointment with a very limited menu and slow service.

The food in the main restaurant was ok not great though. The choice of dishes seem to decrease as the week went on. What was on offer was well cooked and presented and you should find something to your taste.

The hotel staff were all very pleasant and helpful particularly the reception staff and cleaning ladies. The two Thompson girls also did a splendid job.

The hotel's location is ideal for Salou town or the theme park both about a 15 minute walk away. The beach is a similar distance from the hotel.

Although we travelled as a couple this hotel/location would be great for those with children as there is plenty to do and loads of entertainment laid on. Teenagers may get a bit bored but you can pack them off to the theme park for the day! Or make use of the free wifi which was available.

Im summing up a good value for money holiday. Is it four star? Probably not but it would make an extremely good three star. If we were in this part of the world again Vi-la Romana would definitely be on the short list.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Jonathan F
Dear Clients,

Thank you very much for your comments and suggestions.

We are already working on them to improve our service.

We hope to see you back here very soon!!!

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 June 2014

This was our second visit to this hotel. The staff are great and attentive, the level of service throughout the hotel was good.
We had a good time, but one downside we noticed on this trip was that the hotel struggles to provide 4 star standard both in the restaurant and around the pool at busy times. The last week we were there the hotel was nearly full and there were very long queues to get into the only restaurant which was extremely busy and noisy. Around the pool you will find that sun beds have to be located extremely close together as the area is not really large enough for all the beds available.

Room Tip: Even numbers overlook the pool area. Odd numbers on higher floors should be quiet.
1 Thank David S
Dear Clients,

We are very proud you have choosen once again our Hotel.

You become part of the big family we are in Vil.laromana Hotel.

We write down all your comments, so we shall try to improve them all before your next visit.