“4 star quality...excellent value”

MedPlaya Hotel Calypso
Ranked #29 of 93 Hotels in Salou
Reviewed 17 August 2011

at first when you go in you are wondering was it a mistake,when its busy its heaving,check in can take a while,but once you get to your room and settle its a really well maintained facility,rooms serviced everyday,food is fab,pool is well monitored,all round very good for children and families,or even just a solo relaxing stay,ten minute walk from the center of things,check out the victoria bar,minutes from there,buffet was excellent,the breakfast was mundane,but then again its hard to beat the fry up youl get in england or ireland,at least they have nice jam and marmalade,and the milk was MILK and not that other crap.had the all inclusive option,and am staying there with children again in november

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled solo
4  Thank 096peter

Reviewed 16 August 2011

Stayed from 9 aug-13 aug. After reading the great reviews, i was excited. We got there at half 12 in the afternoon. first view of the hotel, bit shabby, reception lovely. Staff very nice on reception. Went into room, first view- nice. Bathroom+shower good. quilt just like the sheets you put on your mattress. went into the balcony, huge hole in the wall! table and chairs dropping apart, view of lots of hotels. mould on the table inside. beds quite comfy. walls very thin. wardrobe very good space, dirty carpets on the corridors. but once your out your room, it's fine really although the lifts stink. defanately recommend the pool in calypso 2! great pool! lots of facilities there, high tech computers. dinner at the al fresco was lovely! though if you want tea there you have to have an invitation, book it 3 nights before+stay at least 7 nights!!!! tea lovely, good choices. DEFANATELY recommend going to port aventura! get theme park tickets first+get 50% off waterpark! good shops around, nice gift shop in the hotel with a lovely staff behind counter. Train to port aventura was 3 euros for a adult one way, bit expensive but not much you can do! Currency exchange in hotel, as well as many bars. Bar staff aren't very friendly with children. All inclusive, during the day when dinner/breakfast/tea isn't served all you can really get is crisps+ice cream to eat. and only the tubs of ice creams is free! GREAT entertainment! dancing during day, wateerpolo etc in pool, defo see mamma mia+dirty dancing+body balancer at night, fab! Go 2 salou beach. Nice but v. busy. If you want a more rock-freee beach, walk further down. Pool cold in hotel. Overall was an ok holiday. didn't spend much of it in hotel. Good for young children. Wouldn't go back.

Room Tip: Stay in Calypso II. Your view isn't great. Go to calypso II for bowling, internet, pool etc.
2  Thank hannahalice123
Reviewed 15 August 2011

I was worried about this holiday because of all the bad reviews that i read after booking the holiday.But from the moment we walked in i knew it was ok .The staff are very friendly and helpful.My two children loved the pool areas and most of all loved the entertainment staff.We went all inclusive which was good value for money you can eat and drink all day if yo want.The entertainment on a night also was very good a must see the Mickeal Jackson tribute.The rooms are nicely decorated and we found there was enough room for the four of us they are cleaned daily and clean towels replaced each day.Dont be put off by bad reviews and see for yourselfs.We will be back soon.

Room Tip: We were in Calypso 2 which they say is the worst we had no problams at all .We was on the first floo...
6  Thank alhalh02
Reviewed 14 August 2011

the staff are so helpful and friendley , the room was a bit small for three my 15 year old slept in a camp bed wich wasnt ideal because his feet were hanging out the bottom. other than that we loved it breakfast was best in the alfresco restraunt were it was cooked fresh to your order lunch was best there to you could have burgers, hot dogs chicken, steak, and pork skewers cooked to your order. the evening meals were ok there was always something you could eat an the theme nights were good the alfresco restraunt couldnt be beat you get 3 visits per 2 week stay but book early as it fills up quite quickly

4  Thank julie084
Reviewed 14 August 2011

Lovely hotel with lovely food,staff were very nice,lots of activities for children with very good air con.hotel rooms cleaned on a daily basis and very nice pools.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled with family
2  Thank vivienne m
Reviewed 13 August 2011

After everything I read I was dreading this holiday but need not have worried. Plain and simple it is a 3 star hotel, the bedrooms are small but you don't spend your holiday in them. We went all inclusive and it was the best thing we have ever done drinks, food, whenever you want them. Now the food yes it was basic but you always had at least 5 choises of main course and not all British, Squid, Shark to name but two. The main thing about a family holiday is you do not want your kids complaining that they are hungry now if you offered them deep fried Squid you would 99 times out of a 100 have a hungry child but offer them burgers hot dogs pizza chicken nuggets and not forgeting the chips and you have one very happy and full child. The entertainment was the best we have ever seen they work really hard to produce the shows 2 not to be missed are the videos of the past decade and the Michael Jackson tribute. The pool complex is fine plenty of room however to get a sunbed you need to be down by the pool for 0930 the guy that unlocks the chains securing the sunbeds does not rush he will only unlock them when he is good and ready. All in all the staff work really hard from wakey wakey to goodnight campers to ensure that you have a great holiday and we did. Would we go back? Its very rare that we return to the same hotel twice so we would choose another all inclusive to compare it against but it would have to be good to beat this one and who knows in years to come we might return. Just one more thing if you don't have any kids with you and you dont like them running here there and everywhere then don't go beacause the hotel is full of them just thought I would let you know.

3  Thank johnboy1960
Reviewed 12 August 2011

I have just returned home after a seven night, half board stay at the Hotel Calypso, Salou. This is the first package holiday that I have ever booked and I found it a very interesting experience. This hotel exceeded my expectations in some aspects, particularly after reading some of the less than flattering reviews.
The booking was made online through Thomson and was trouble free. I found the Thomson aircrew and reps very professional and courteous.
The hotel itself is at least up to the three stars it holds. Our room was booked for me, my wife and our eleven year old daughter. The room was typical hotel layout with a small balcony. The room was clean and tidy, but we don’t go on holiday to sit in our hotel room.
I was very surprised at the wide choice of food available in the self service restaurant. Breakfast was a varied choice including a full English or continental breakfast. Cereals and fruit juice and coffee are also available with bread rolls, toast and jam. There was also a selection of fresh fruit available every morning.
For evening meals I enjoyed trying unusual dishes such as shark, squid and other local dishes. My daughter tended to prefer the more kiddy friendly chips, cake etc. followed by industrial quantities of ice cream with a wide variety of toppings.
I did find the bar staff's practice of storing unopened bottles of red wine in the fridge a little strange, but I suppose we go abroad to experience the unusual.
My daughter loved the hotel pool and spent about three hours each day jumping in and out of it. There is a rule against claiming sun loungers with towels in the morning before actually using them. I never saw this rule enforced. Every morning the usual suspects scurried furtively to the pool, each of them armed with several towels to claim places for themselves and the rest of their party around the pool. I found this activity quite amusing but if claiming a lounger is high on your list of priorities you will need to be up early.
The bar staff at the poolside were mostly efficient and helpful. There is one dedicated queue for those who are "fully inclusive" but for anyone paying cash for drinks there is no queue at all. I did see the "all inclusive" queue reach numbers in excess of twenty quite regularly. A special mention should go to one barman in particular who was very friendly and patient with my poor attempts at speaking Spanish. Every time I went to the bar he managed to teach me a little more.
The hotel entertainment staff were very good. We watched three of their shows. My daughter wanted to be near the front for the Michael Jackson tribute show so we claimed our table about two hours before the show and sat down to play cards. What followed was hilarious. The usual suspects started filtering down to claim their own prime position tables and I found it impossible not to laugh as adults around me squabbled over seats and tables. These people were mostly "all inclusive" Brits. The show when it started was superb.

The only problem I found was when one evening I found the lift stuck on the fifth floor with a middle aged couple trapped inside. The lady inside the lift was beginning to panic somewhat so I talked to her to calm her down after sending someone down to notify reception. When security did turn up after only ten minutes or so, their casual demeanor gave me the impression that this may be a regular occurrence. This gut feeling was confirmed when someone else was trapped in the same lift the next day. Use the toilet facilities before you use the lift and you will be ok.
All things considered I found the Hotel Calypso to be clean, comfortable, efficient and friendly. We used the hotel as a base from which to explore the surrounding area, including a trip to Barcelona using the local rail service.
It was surprising how many of the hotel guests never left the hotel complex for the entire duration of their stay. The local beaches are only a fifteen minute walk away and are superb. We included trips to the Port Aventura theme park and water park. The theme park was fun but lacked the attention to detail that is found at Universal Studios and Disney parks. If I was allowed to be in charge of the park for a day I would close the park altogether and get every member of staff to tidy up all the obviously long term rubbish, paint over the graffiti and remove all the chewing gum which has been stuck to walls and ceilings. The rides themselves are superb and I recommend Hurakan Condor. It’s a straight drop from about 250' in the air.
I don’t think that I will be booking a package holiday again because I prefer to tailor make my own holiday but I would recommend this holiday, without reservation, for anyone looking for a low cost, good value, sunshine holiday.

1  Thank RayVINYL