MedPlaya Hotel Calypso
Aparthotel CYE Holiday Centre(Salou)(Great Value!)
US$106
  • Breakfast included
US$182
US$115
  • Pool
Sol Costa Daurada(Salou)(Great Value!)
US$119
US$109
Melia.com
  • Restaurant
Hotel-Aparthotel Dorada Palace(Salou)(Great Value!)
US$113
US$95
US$95
US$93
2,221 results
All reviewsal frescodirty dancingapple barmed playasnack barentertainment teammama miaevery nightsaladburgerbar staffgames roommichael jacksonmain restaurantgreat holidaykebabevening entertainment
Reviewed 21 October 2013

Just back from a 7 night trip to Hotel Calypso. All hotel staff (reception, maids, cleaners, bar, restaurant) were helpful and polite. The hotel, pool area and our room was very clean and we had a good view of the pool area.

We did have 400 pensioners who joined us on 14th October but to be honest, it was a pleasure to share the hotel with them - they were keen dancers, full of fun and they weren't rowdy - what more could you ask for! And well done to the Spanish government who subsidised this holiday for their older people.

There were a number of beaches close to the hotel, the nearest one being a 10 minute walk, with another two, 5 minutes either side of that.

The food was very good, with plenty of choice and it (as well as the 3 bars) was available from 8am to 10.30pm.

We booked through Thomsons/First Choice on an all inclusive basis and it was very good value for money. It's only 15 minutes transfer from Reus airport. Reps on site were very helpful and have alot of local knowledge.

Ask at reception when you book in for access to the safe in your room. They will give you a key and lock for 30 euros which you get back when you book out.

Room Tip: Bring your own tea bags!
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank lewissman
Reviewed 20 October 2013

After reading the reviews about this hotel we decided on a last minute holiday. The first couple of days/nights were very good, food entertainment everything....THEN we all received a letter pushed under door to inform us that from 14th Oct the hotel would have 400 Spanish pensioners staying (free holiday) and everything would be changed, food, times of meals, entertainment which was every night (dancing) to cater for them. It was as though us British people no longer existed. Whilst appreciating that it is their country, we were the ones who were paying for our hols and yet pushed out...disgusted. On another note, the hotel is ready for a refurbishment but was clean and we had lovely soft towels every day and nice bedding, couldn't really fault it on this point as the price of the holiday was great. Don't know where they get 10mins walk to the beach from, more like 20/30 mins and really should have some more comfortable seating in the lounge and never seen so many plastic chairs and ridged plastic sunbeds. Oh another gripe was that the Spanish got glasses and cups and saucers where as WE had to have plastic beakers for EVERYTHING even in the lounge (expect it outside but not inside). MOAN over, lovely hot weather, met some nice friends, staff were great and friendly but would we go again NOOOOOOOO
No senior management available to listen to any complaints,

Room Tip: Room 106 directly above outside BBQ very noisy and a bit smelly from the food cooking but got the sun most of day.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank marybaxter7
CustomerServiceMgr, Guest Relations Manager at MedPlaya Hotel Calypso, responded to this reviewResponded 21 October 2013

Thank you for your review of your recent stay with us at the Hotel Calypso.
We are pleased to hear that in general you were happy with the standards offered at the Hotel. We are sorry to hear that the arrival of our Spanish guests impacted on your overall stay. The Hotel Manager and her staff do their very best to ensure harmony between different customer groups and we are sorry that this was not the case during your stay.
We hope that in spite of this your overall stay in Salou was enjoyable

Reviewed 16 October 2013 via mobile

I actually really enjoyed myself in this hotel clean everything I needed beach close hotel clean. But all this doesmt matter now came home on 8th oct checked bank account as debit card was taken abroad as an emergency but kept in a locked room in my case in my hamdbag in my purse.. 3 fraudulent payments totalling 310pounds was flagged up on statement now my card never left the room 518 fifh floor and only people who had access was myself my bf who also has a fraudulent payment may I add!!! and the maids! Now I know my card was cloned because on one occasion I was at bon vista market when it was used in salou. Im currently getting this investigated and will make sure I get my money back!!! I camt believe there are such nasty unkind people who do this never had this before in any places abroad or in england I would not come back here unless it was to confront whoever in this hotel did this and make them pay every penny back im very angry! ! Never ever would I recommend a stay here after this such a shame but cannot be trusted keep valuebles at home because a safe and a locked suitcase still get robbed beware wish I never went!!!!

• Stayed: October 2013
4  Thank Nadine B
CustomerServiceMgr, Guest Relations Manager at MedPlaya Hotel Calypso, responded to this reviewResponded 22 October 2013

Thank you for your review of your recent stay with us at the Hotel Calypso. We are very pleased to hear that you were happy with your holiday, accommodation and service, but are very sorry to hear that you had issues with your Credit Card since your return.
We would like to say that we have every confidence in our staff at the Hotel Calypso, and we have had no problems at all with this type of issue. In the case of credit card cloning, until the credit company have investigated, it is very difficult to identify where the card has actually been cloned, and your allegation that the Hotel or its staff is a very serious one. We sincerely hope that you identify where the responsibility lies and if you would like to contact us direct would ask you to email us at contact@medplaya.com.

Reviewed 15 October 2013

Just returned from the Hotel Calypso.couldnt ask for any better holiday.staff were great except for 1 bar man very grumpy time he left his job.our room 336 looked like it had been painted and our mattress was memory foam food was good also drinks not watered down like you find at some all inclusive.surprise was the free safe paid deposit but got it back entertainment was great better than some of the west end shows I have seem.
One point I would like to make is ,it would have been nice to see the manager (Benet Presas)
walking around talking to the guests.
We will be booking to go back next year.

Well done Benet Presas Director/Manager and staff .

Diane Worcester

Room Tip: Try and get rooms facing the road.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank tonyatownsenddiane19
Reviewed 14 October 2013

I always say after every holiday that I want to write a review , well this time I finally am . For the positives, the hotel is clean , the staff are incredibly friendly, our first choice reps were wonderful , the food is plentiful , the drinks are really nice (especially THE MEDPLAYER cocktail ) and the biggest point the entertainment and kids team are unbeatable. Mafalda had so much energy and personality it was infectious. Laura the choreographer and main singer , was absolutely phenomenal , not what you expect from a 3 star hotel. Everyone had a great time watching them , my partner was even called up on stage one night to be part of the rocky horror show by Diego , a true holiday highlight and memory.
We were checked in and out very quickly, everything explained in detail. The staff are fluent in many languages as dictated by flags on their name badges. The tourist tax isn't too much and the hotel explain about as well as deposits for the safety deposit boxes and hair dryer.
The reps were great on the transfer and keep you well informed. We urge you got to the welcomes meetings from your holiday operator. We went with first choice, and the meeting was very informative .
The room was clean , the maid service make your bed every day , change your towels and empty the bins. It was basic , but if you are on holiday , what they provide is more than substantial.
A little tip , keep yourselves covered in inspect repellent, I was covered in very itchy lumps with visible bites for the whole holiday and heard others discuss this too.
We do not drive so relied on buses and tour coaches to get around. The buses are very cheap , if you intend on using them a lot. Look into buying a T- 10 card which gets you to port aventura, Tarragona, Reus, Cambrils, La Pineda, Bonavista and other places too for just under 15 euros for 10 trips . A return takes two trips but anyone can use the card. You can buy them from any of the plana bus centres dotted all over salou or the red bus boxes too, one is a 2 minute walk from the hotel next to the night marker and opposite Pasha's nightclub called La cage. The hotel is quite a bit away from the main part of salou , although their is a beach cove quite close , ask one of the reps for directions.
Another tip, salou Is more expensive to eat and shop in than Barcelona, so try to get your gifts in Barcelona or even Tarragona. The hotel food Is plentiful , you can always find something and somewhere to eat. Either, the bars , the restaurant, or the bbq area attached to the bar meditarani. Switch of for this bit if you are not vegetarian. When we paid for the holiday, Thomsons assured us that Vegetarians are well catered for in the hotel. Eggs were the only thing available for breakfast or potato things that were hard and never cooked, The eggs always had shell in them , I don't eat eggs but partner does and he was not enthuased by them . I ended up with fruit and sugar puffs every day . For non - veggies. you will not go hungry. Dinner and tea were better, food goes cold very quickly though . We could not have any pudding as all the desserts had gelatine in. So had fruit again. They are supposed to label everything with the V symbol but didn't bother half of the time making it difficult . Nowhere in Salou really caters for veggies apart from The Little Hampton café , the meals here were lovely if not a tad expensive. The food never really changes, we could choose between , buttered rice ,tempura vegetables, spinach lasagne, ratatouille, pasta sauce with boiled pasta, chips and salad. Although some of the made salads had meat in.
The drinks were amazing and had limit other than All in were not served after 11pm .
The bbq area, is disgusted. We had chips there one day ,and were cold and rubbery. Partner asked for an egg to be fried as only veggie option on wall next to the grill .The chef basically said no , so didn't go again. We definitely felt uncatered for. The packed lunches were abysmal and beyond basic .
For our days out-
Tarragona- an amazing town . Beautiful sights with ruins .It is quite big , we ended up on the land train for 6 euros and getting a tour after a good few hours walking around. There is a Carrefour market here if you need to pick anything up .
Barcelona- is mind blowing. A little scary and crowded but stunning all the same. The sagrada familia is stunning . Please be aware of your belongings and stay on your feet. AFrican men stand on corners trying to flog fake handbags and then run at fast speeds through the town trying to escape the police. Shopping in Barcelona alone could take a couple of weeks, the attractions are mainly based on Antonio gaudi , they are not to be missed. We went on one of tours to Barca, with a TUI tour booked through first choice . Suzanne was our tour operator. She was so clued up , informative , friendly and a first class operator. It was our favourite part of the holiday . The second tour for Barcelona zoo, was booked through Plana buses, this was far less impressive . Although, everyone should visit Barcelona zoo . Its so lovely and the animals are all stunning . We adored the reptile house and the komodo dragons. As we love animals , it was nice to see the no barrier approach and all well looked after . There were lots off flies around though .
Right now for possibly one of the worst holiday experiences of my life. I wished I was warned about this beforehand so I am telling you all now. Bonavista market, a short bus ride away on a no. 1 bus on a sunday . We were urged by one of the reps to go and see Europes second biggest market. It was terrible at first just scarf and clothes shops repeated for row after row. Not particularly cheap either. Then as we got towards the back of the market, we started to get food stalls, fish stinking as it rotted in the heat, legs of meat covered in flies, churro stands with massive queues. It got far worse than this, at the very back , animal stalls. Puppies standing in scorching heat being sold from boxes, chickens and rabbits squashed into boxes and cages, terrapins being sold from ice cream tubs, guinea pigs clearly unwell and over populated . The animals being sold for meat, pets or working use were so badly treated we walked out. I was sobbing , shocked that spain is so behind the times. We found incidents like this in pet shops in Barcelona and Tarragona. So please be aware, the sight of this is imprinted into my mind please don't let your children see it too.
Cambrils is very basic , not very big but pretty. La pineda had one of the best beaches I have ever seen.
Port Aventura is such a big and cool theme park . We never queued for anything apart from Shambala. Sesame Street was really cool, a ride called magic fish was most fun. The shops are the more expensive than Disney though and literally no veggie options here too apart from vegetable focaccia . which we had to swap as it was served to us still raw. So be careful with the food. The Halloween festivities are unrivalled. particularly in the far west part of the park . Horror in penitence is a must and characters run wry in the park . I got 'scared' a few times. as they come up behind you and scream or chase you. The exorcist girl was performed really well.
So to summarize, you will be kept busy, visit Barcelona and its zoo, port Aventura is a must, the hotel is great if you are not a vegetarian and watch the shows from the hotel every night. You will not be disappointed.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple