“3* Hotel 5* Service”

MedPlaya Hotel Calypso
Ranked #30 of 93 Hotels in Salou
Reviewed 24 August 2014

Booked this hotel last minute because I got a great deal, 11 nights A I.
The first couple of days I thought I would struggle with the food because other than pasta, salad and vegetable's not much else on offer but I don't think the Spanish have quite grasped the concept of vegetarianism however once I got my head around adding sauces I was fine and through the week they came up with some good options.
Yes the hotel could do with a lick of paint but the rooms were clean and fresh, the pools were cleaned every morning and there was plenty of sunbeds. What impressed me the most was the genuine friendliness of all the staff they were all fantastic with all the children in the hotel and made a fuss of them whenever they saw them We enjoyed most of the entertainment and again the children were encouraged to participate and they absolutely loved it.
I had a small problem that I brought to the attention of the staff and was immediately directed to the management who not only listened to me but went out of her way to sort it and went beyond what was expected ( Thank you Ellen) The staff are super efficient and demonstrate fantastic customer service. would I stay there again ? Yes ! A big thank you to all the staff.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Maggie C
CustomerServiceMgr, Guest Relations Manager at MedPlaya Hotel Calypso, responded to this reviewResponded 27 August 2014

Dear Maggie C
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us at the popular Hotel Calypso.
We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed your holiday and that you rated our staff particularly highly. It is always rewarding to receive positive feedback regarding our staff, as we are very aware of how important they are in ensuring our guests enjoy the very best holiday experience possible. I am sure that Ellen will pass your comments on to her team.
We hope we can look forward to welcoming you back to stay with us on future occasions.
Kind regards
Sue, Guest Relations Team, Med Playa Hotels

Reviewed 22 August 2014

second time to this hotel, had a fabulous holiday, entertainment staff are great,( mafalda, vallery, agata, alex, cj, mandy,Anton, Just to name a few) games for kids and adults to join in great shows at night too, first choice kids club staff (sammy,Sadie & frankie) are so good with the kids, our daughter loved them all, hotel was clean and all staff were helpful and cheerful only , there was always food to cater for everyone's tastes, the outside bbq area is the best though, only negative is if you have young children then there is no baby changing facilities in toilets etc,Cannot wait to go back to this hotel

Room Tip: email the hotel about a week before you travel if you want a particular floor or poolside room, they...
2  Thank sally h
Reviewed 21 August 2014

Not great found some staff unfriendly and the fridge/cooler in room a disgrace ,complained to rep and hotel but to no avail and charged for ice.... Could be so much better with litte effort and staff that wanted to help not palm you off...

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank John F
Reviewed 20 August 2014

we have just returned from spending a week at this hotel , it was the first time we had ever stopped in a hotel and we weren,t disappointed , as a family of 4 we went all inclusive and found the food to be fantastic , there was always something that we liked and enjoyed trying new things we never went hungry , when you think how many different nations the hotel has to cater for i think they do a fantastic job !!! , some of the bar staff were a little on the miserable side but watching some of the other guests who i never heard use a please or thank you in any language i think i would be a tad miserable as well !! i,m a big believer in manners cost nothing and neither does a smile, the entertainment was good ( the shows on a night ) but i found the day time t be a little confusing as i didn,t know if the entertainment were for all guests or only the ones who had traveled with certain companies , luckily my children didn,t seem to bothered about joining in unless i would of been left with a difficult situation , i,d be very careful in one of the small pools as my child ended up getting hurt and although the staff who helped with it were really good and showed concern come our last day we saw the problem which had caused it still hadn,t be rectified which we found alarming and this was just waiting for another child to get hurt

3  Thank penfold4
Reviewed 19 August 2014

Just returned from a weeks long stay at the calypso and could not fault the hotel in anyway why there is bad reviews I have no idea. Great food loads of selections and grill bar upstairs is the best I've come across and I've been to a lot of hotels. We stayed all inclusive and thought it was worth every penny ,food available all day long, good choice of drinks and couldn't fault the bar never had to wait long. All the staff in the hotel very friendly and very hard working I have never been to a hotel as well staffed as here. The entertainment team are fab, working hard all day to ensure both children and adults are having a great time. 2 good pools never had a problem getting sunbeds even though the hotel was very busy. Our room was cleaned daily, it was basic but perfectly ok because but who goes on hotel to sit in there room ?.It does get a little noisy at night but you expect this on a family holiday. Great location everything you want very close by. Myself , partner and 10 year old son met great people and had a fab holiday, we don't usually go to the same hotel twice but we will definitely be returning keep up the good work .

Room Tip: We stopped in room 008 in calypso 2 which I would highly recommend just on floor 1 with a great pool...
5  Thank lisa d
CustomerServiceMgr, Guest Relations Manager at MedPlaya Hotel Calypso, responded to this reviewResponded 20 August 2014

Dear lisa d
Thank you for chosing Med Playa for your holiday and for your review of the popular Hotel Calypso
We are pleased to hear that our hotel ticked all the boxes for you and your family and that you enjoyed your stay with us.
We very much look forward to welcoming you back next time!
Kind regards
Sue, Guest Relations Team, Med Playa Hotels

Reviewed 18 August 2014 via mobile

I am a 17 year old female and staying at this hotel with my mam and older sister. I am currently staying in this hotel and arrived on Tuesday the 12th of August just in time for lunch at 1.30.
The food is not the best but this is only my opinion, all I've had to eat is pasta and chips, apart from sausage and bacon at breakfast, and some of the other meat that is available at the Al Fresco Restaurant.
My room is average with 3 single beds, and en-suite bathroom, with a bath, shower head, sink and toilet, also air-conditioning, a safe and a small television. The television only has 3 english channels a music channel (heat) a movie channel and BBC news. All of the other channels are foreign without subtitles. I was very lucky to receive a room with a pool view and not a room facing the road.

There are 3 pools, one allows lilos, balls and inflatables, one doesn't and there is also a child's pool. There are some rules for the pool, such as no food and drink but nobody abides by them. Also another thing is smoking. People can smoke wherever they want as long as it is outside, so if you are a non-smoker like me you cannot hide from the smell. I think there should be designated smoking areas, so people can enjoy there time around the pool without the awful stench. The pool areas are very over crowded and i think some people around the pools are not actually staying in the hotel, as they don't have wristbands on.

This hotel is excellent for children aged 5-12 as there is plenty for them to do, there is a park, kids club and the entertainment team try their best to keep all children happy by playing games and participating in shows. This is a very family situated hotel.
I think there should be a club for 14-17 year olds so it gives people my age a chance to make new friends and have things to do during the day.
By far the best thing about the hotel is the entertainment and the shows that the entertainment team participate in, things like dirty dancing and disney magic which includes the lion king, high school musical, the little mermaid and also beauty and the beast. If management gets a chance to read this i hope you can pass this message on.

The hotel does have free wifi but it doesn't work, so ended up buying access to the internet for a week, for €20.
Most of the bar staff are lovely and friendly especially Giorgio. He always makes conversation and is always smiling. Reception staff are friendly as well and my rep is very helpful.

There is an option to have food and drink almost every hour of the day, if you are all inclusive, however it finishes at 11pm. Breakfast starts at 8am and stops at 10.30 in the main restaurant, but you can have breakfast and other snacks at the Alfresco Restaurant from 9am till 1pm. Lunch starts at 1.30pm and is open till 3pm in the main restaurant, but more food and snacks can be eaten at the Al Fresco Restaurant up until 6.30pm. At 7.30pm the main restaurant opens and serves dinner up until 9.30pm and on evenings the Al Fresco Restaurant has to be booked as it gets relatively busy. On arrival you should receive one or two invitations to eat there for free, but this depends on the length of your stay.

Another thing is the spanish or the other foreign people staying in the hotel, some are very rude and don't understand the definition of a que. During meal times when people are queuing for there food, they just push in. Also, on a number of occasions i have placed a sun bed in a certain position and they have moved it to a different place in order for there group to be together. This has always occurred without them asking, they have just assumed they could do that and that it is acceptable when in fact it is not.

Based on my own experience at this hotel i rate it a 6/10. Would only return when i have children myself or if i came with a friend so i had someone to talk to. The hotel is very family orientated and isn't a place to visit if you want a peaceful holiday.

Stayed: August 2014
3  Thank Natalie A
Reviewed 16 August 2014 via mobile

Stayin here at moment cant fault food and entertainment...rooms really clean...but will say having the local police here twice in 2 nites may i add tonites episode was really bad has put me off comin back really sorry x

• Stayed: August 2014
6  Thank Job7321
CustomerServiceMgr, Guest Relations Manager at MedPlaya Hotel Calypso, responded to this reviewResponded 18 August 2014

Dear Musscells
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us at the Hotel Calypso.
We are pleased to hear that you are very happy with the standard of accommodation, food and entertainment, but are sorry that the behaviour of some of our other guests has impacted on your overall enjoyment of the hotel.
I can assure you that the behaviour you have experienced recently is in no way typical of the guests in this hotel, and you will have seen that this has not been tolerated by the Hotel Management and their team. The police were called immediately and relevant action was taken.
We sincerely hope that you enjoy the rest of your stay with us at this popular hotel and that we can look forward to welcoming you back to stay with us at the Calypso or one of our other Med Playa Hotels in Mainland Spain.
With kind regards, Sue, Guest Relations Team, Med Playa Hotels