“Balanced view”

Ranked #30 of 93 Hotels in Salou
Ashington, United Kingdom
“Balanced view”
Reviewed 30 August 2014 via mobile

Good location 10 minute walk to the beach. We stayed in Calypso 2 which is in need of refurbishment and the triple room was very small. The room was cleaned every day. The room we had overlooked the pool and entertainment if you want a quiet room ask for one at the other side of the hotel as even with the balcony doors shut it was very noisy at nights. The food wasn't great but was edible if not a bit repetitive. The entertainment team worked very hard and all of the staff were really friendly. For kids the hotel is brilliant and my grandson said it was the best holiday ever. For the price we paid it was good value but doubt we would stay there again

Stayed August 2014
2 Thank Ali12302
CustomerServiceMgr, Guest Relations Manager at MedPlaya Hotel Calypso, responded to this review, 1 September 2014
Dear Ali12302
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us at the Hotel Calypso in Salou. We are pleased to hear that overall you had an enjoyable stay with us, but disappointed to hear that there are some areas where you feel we could improve.
Guest feedback is very important to us at Med Playa and we thank you for highlighting these points which have been brought to the attention of the Management.
We sincerely hope that you and your family will reconsider the possiblity of returning to the Hotel Calypso for future holidays, or perhaps to one of our other Med Playa Hotels on Mainland Spain
Sue, Guest Relations Team, Med Playa Hotels

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (388)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Burnley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 August 2014

The first thing we noticed about this hotel was how clean it was. The staff are so friendly and really make you feel welcome which for me makes a big difference to your holiday. The food at this hotel is AMAZING!! Good quality food with lots of variation, the salads and dressings were lovely and different fish every night, I had baked halibut for the first time and it was beautiful. The snack bar is the best snack bar we have ever seen, with bacon being griddled for breakfast with fried eggs or pancakes freshly made you are spoilt for choice although I loved the croissants for breakfast. The snack bar also did grilled chicken, steak, burgers and hotdogs throughout the day. The food was so nice in the restaurant though that we tried not to use the snack bar. The all inclusive finished at 11pm but they let you order as many drinks as you want before it closes. Great hotel will definitely return

Room Tip: Ask for a pool view
3 Thank Sarah S
Doncaster, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 August 2014

Me and my girlfriend (both 21) came to this hotel beacause we got a great deal.
We were a little apprehensive reading reviews of it being a fully blown family hotel.

From the first moment it was brilliant.
Hotel clean and nice enough.
Great Staff (Ellis our holiday advisor was brilliant)
Great Entertainment. Some shows amazing!
Drinks brilliant.
Food exceptional.
Pool big and plenty of sun beds.
Room basic but great aircon.

would reccommend to anyone!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Scott W
CustomerServiceMgr, Guest Relations Manager at MedPlaya Hotel Calypso, responded to this review, 28 August 2014
Dear Scott W
Thank you for chosing the MedPlaya Hotel Calypso for your recent holiday in Salou.
We are pleased to read that this popular hotel ticked all the boxes for you and your girlfriend and we hope that we can look forward to seeing you again
Surrey, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 August 2014

I would just to comment on the excellant service we recieved on our holiday on 9/8/14 for 1 week ,the friendlinest of all the staff went way beyond what I had expected A BIG WELL DONE
I would like to thank all staff for making our holiday lovely and enjoyable

THanks
Irene Hall

Room Tip: All rooms were of a high standard
2 Thank tonika15
Reviewed 25 August 2014

Just got back from a fantastic holiday at The Calypso. Although the hotel is rated 3* based on my visit I'd rate it higher. From check in to check out I can honestly say we had a fab time & I've got no moans at all. The hotel has good facilities, the two pool areas have plenty of sunbeds etc. Food very good, choice is excellent always plenty on offer, and the staff are constantly bringing out new supplies. Dining room very big so no problem finding a table, the staff are very quick at clearing tables too. The outside terrace restaurant offers an alternative for breakfast & lunch (food available all day) & well worth a visit in the evening when it turns into an "a la carte" restaurant. Bar service very speedy and wide range of drinks available. Rooms very clean and well equipped and had been recently refurbished. One of the best features about this hotel has to be the entertainment programme - lots of daytime activities for both children and adults. my daughter especially enjoyed the First Choice Kids club and wanted to go every day. The evening shows were very professional with something for everyone to enjoy. All the staff at this hotel worked very hard. if all Med Playa hotels are like the Calypso then I'll be visiting one soon!

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the pools are quieter.
6 Thank Nicola L
CustomerServiceMgr, Guest Relations Manager at MedPlaya Hotel Calypso, responded to this review, 27 August 2014
Dear Nicola L
Thank you for your review of your recent stay with us at the popular Hotel Calypso in Salou.
We are pleased to hear that the hotel ticekd all the boxes for you and your family.
Med Playa Hotels aim to offer our guests the very best holiday experience possible in all of our hotels and we sincerely hope that we can look forward to welcoming you and your family either back to the Calypso or one of our other hotels in Mainland Spain in the future.
Durham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 August 2014

Booked this hotel last minute because I got a great deal, 11 nights A I.
The first couple of days I thought I would struggle with the food because other than pasta, salad and vegetable's not much else on offer but I don't think the Spanish have quite grasped the concept of vegetarianism however once I got my head around adding sauces I was fine and through the week they came up with some good options.
Yes the hotel could do with a lick of paint but the rooms were clean and fresh, the pools were cleaned every morning and there was plenty of sunbeds. What impressed me the most was the genuine friendliness of all the staff they were all fantastic with all the children in the hotel and made a fuss of them whenever they saw them We enjoyed most of the entertainment and again the children were encouraged to participate and they absolutely loved it.
I had a small problem that I brought to the attention of the staff and was immediately directed to the management who not only listened to me but went out of her way to sort it and went beyond what was expected ( Thank you Ellen) The staff are super efficient and demonstrate fantastic customer service. would I stay there again ? Yes ! A big thank you to all the staff.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Maggie C
Dear Maggie C
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us at the popular Hotel Calypso.
We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed your holiday and that you rated our staff particularly highly. It is always rewarding to receive positive feedback regarding our staff, as we are very aware of how important they are in ensuring our guests enjoy the very best holiday experience possible. I am sure that Ellen will pass your comments on to her team.
We hope we can look forward to welcoming you back to stay with us on future occasions.
Derbyshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 August 2014

second time to this hotel, had a fabulous holiday, entertainment staff are great,( mafalda, vallery, agata, alex, cj, mandy,Anton, Just to name a few) games for kids and adults to join in great shows at night too, first choice kids club staff (sammy,Sadie & frankie) are so good with the kids, our daughter loved them all, hotel was clean and all staff were helpful and cheerful only , there was always food to cater for everyone's tastes, the outside bbq area is the best though, only negative is if you have young children then there is no baby changing facilities in toilets etc,Cannot wait to go back to this hotel

Room Tip: email the hotel about a week before you travel if you want a particular floor or poolside room, they...
2 Thank sally h