“August holiday”

Ranked #29 of 94 Hotels in Salou
England
“August holiday”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 October 2013

This was our 6th time to Portaventura as the kids love it but our 3rd time to the hotel El Paso as we prefer to go all inclusive. However this time will be our last for a while as most of the shows hadn't changed from the previous year and as being as it was the last week in August the queues for the food in the hotel were horrendous which has really put us off, you were also lucky to get a sunbed! The theme park itself is great and the kids love the shows but I think it's time for a change!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank Cheshire2

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (297)
  • Polish first
Bury, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 October 2013

Me and my family can't wait to come back, we never got bored once, so much choice! Theme park night or day, shows on theme park, trips (family day was great nou camp then Barcelona zoo) water park, trip into town, beach or round the pool! There really is something for every one.
Hotel and theme park was amazing value, very clean and staff are really friendly.
I read some reviews on here but knew we would love it regards to the bad reviews! Your always going to get the moaners where ever you go! People have moaned about entertainment at the hotel!! There was something every night and so many shows on the theme park so I don't know what people want, might as well stay home! I don't know how any one could complain to be honest. We had the best time can't fault it.
Definitely going if you can't decide :-)

11 Thank Loumaro
Falkirk
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 October 2013

Stayed at the El Paso in June 2013 with my 2 kids (11 and 9 yrs)
Food was excellent, usual buffet stuff but always plenty choice, hot and always something for the kids. Pool side snacks during the day were great for the kids.
Rooms were fine, ours had a double bed and bunk beds for kids. Safety box in room too.
Pool area was fantastic with a big play area for the kids and, probably due to the themepark, you could get a decent sunbed any time of the day with no need to put towels down before breakfast.
Bar area good but a lot of queueing when the entertainment finishes.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank Ian C
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 October 2013

Fantastic holiday. Went with my 2 year old. Went off season as it's less expensive but was certainly worth the money. Just up the road from the theme park which we visited every day. Food was amazing. Best all inclusive I have ever stayed in. Photos of this place do it no justice, it is huge!! Went on the provided free shuttle bus to the beach front a few times. It was very clean however i don't think the stairs had been swept at all during my stay. Rooms are very basic, I'd say more 3 *. I was a bit disappointed there were no tea/coffee making facilities or a fridge. (Essentials when travelling with a toddler).
My only real complaint about this place was the children's disco was situated on a rather high concrete stage. My 2 year old loves a boogie but I was terrified and running round after her Incase she fell off and broke a limb or two.
However this is a place I would visit again and highly recommend.

• Stayed September 2013
3 Thank Latrocks
Worthing, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 September 2013

I thought i had to write a review after reading some of the not so positive reviews regarding this hotel , firstly the place is spotless rooms cleaned every day (including floors being moped) , staff around the site continually cleaning and maintaining the site throughout the day to the point that it reminded me of the Lee Evans joke regarding Mc Dondalds and the clean clean joke lol. The food was varied but its mainly quick easy food with three different theme nights a week some better than others ,so if your going there expecting top restaurant food then this place wont be for you or all these now so called foodies or in other words some that wants to pay through the nose for a over payed cook to serve you up a half cooked piece of meat with two posh chips and half a lettuce leaf . Perhaps all inclusive is not the type of holiday you should be going for ,this hotel is really for family's so there has to be a selection for the kids and they want burgers, hot dogs,chips , pizza etc(after all your on holiday) these are plentiful as well as salads cold meats and hot meat and vegetable dishes with cooked chicken and fish on offer every day.Drinks are on tap from am to pm alcoholic drinks available from lunch time till midnight ish .
The entertainment is mainly for the kids with face painting during the day etc and then music on the stage at night with dancing and various family activity`s till 11 pm ish no load music till the early hours as the towns nightclubs supply this in abundance if that's want you want and to be frank the entertainment is the theme park witch when you you stay at this hotel lets you go in and out as you please till it shuts . so that in its self offers massive value as it is around 2 days is approx £50 per adult so that would have cost us for our 7 night stop £600 plus for the week and we also had the water park included which was superb as well .
The hotel swimming pool is great with a bubble pool and kids pool with a half sunken pirate ship and water pistols , lots of life guards and the snack bar has drinks on tap and ice cream as well as tea and coffee and snacks. The only down side to the holiday apart from coming home was some of the other guest and there lack of manors and not having a clue for the meaning of queuing.

Were going back next year because for the price we got this holiday for i cant find anything that really comes close to the value and fun we had top marks PortAventura El Paso keep it up see you next year .

9 Thank price l
Birkenhead, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 September 2013

We stayed at the El Paso for 10 nights, and thoroughly enjoyed it, hotel and facilities very clean & tidy, staff helpful, food although a little repetitive was delicious, evening entertainment great for kids !!!! - Staying just a short walk from both theme parks and being able to access certain restaurants during the day or night as part of your all inclusive package was excellent - In a nutshell I could not find fault with this hotel, and having read other reviews I really do wonder what planet some people are on !!!!!! - Would definitely return here and stay again x

Room Tip: Wherever you stay in this hotel, I don't think you will be disappointed.
4 Thank lynsey D
Oxton, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 September 2013

Please except my use of the urban `Goodish` in my title but it still gets on my wick why you can only rate Average to very Good!?! weres the just `Good`? *rolls eyes*

Pro`s = Beautiful Grounds! Amazing pool,Great FREE ice cream, great drinks! Entertainment is mediocre in deliverance but gets top marks for effort! Pleasant housekeepers. Always clean linen, air con rooms. The free entrance to the theme park with the waterpark and park dining included is the main attraction and the theme park/waterpark is right next door to the hotel! Another bonus is the free coach to Salou! which comes regularly & tram which takes you `everywhere` for up to 7euros.

Cons = Room floor tiles are never mopped so even though they appear clean be aware of this as I dropped some cream on the floor and used a white towel to clean it up and I hope I never again see what else came up alongside the cream :0/
The milk on stand for use with the hot drinks and cereals is `diet` milk aka semi-skimmed!
Bars/snack bars closed at different and odd times throughout our stay, there was a day when at 3pm we couldn't get anything to eat...anywhere! but again this may be due to the low season.
The FOOD! If you are a `foodie` then (like I did) you will cry upon seeing whats on offer here. I am a big foodie, not a food snob (left a Michelin restaurant for a Pizza Hut one birthday) but I know all about fresh food, fine food and at best `hearty food` and there is none of that here. My son loved the food! he`s 11 and compared it to school so he was in his elements, my husband hated the food, my 1yr old lived on sugar free pancakes and ham and I was confined to spaghetti and a tinned sauce. The food is bad! did we holiday at a time when the kitchen switches to microwaved and tinned rubbish? I`m not sure, maybe. You may like the food! I mean I like plane food! haha! So maybe its just me and my family?....no actually its vile!
The wasps are a problem for people like my husband with his phobia *yawns* leaving it to me to get three plates of food from the snack bar and balance them like a circus waiter. There was about 6 wasps per burger haha.

Ok so you see, there are more pro`s than con`s but upon arriving and spending the first day here I was sat on my bed in tears! wishing I could go home and regretting having spent (though a bargain) any money at all on this trip! I was devastated...yes...that's how much I like food! but after experiencing the theme park at night, Salou and Cambrills, I fell utterly in love! and realised that the food issue could be overlooked, the lack of atmosphere at the hotel was compensated highly by surrounding pleasures...and shopping ;0) and I couldn't fault the hotels staff and beauty! So I will return, if self catering is an option of course.
Another thing that did shadow the holiday a bit was I had a nasty reaction to mosquito bites (theres about 20 per room) and it left my legs covered in cream and anti inflammateries, so I have lilly white legs that look like they have red paint spots! and myself and 1yr old was vomiting for a whole day but we had also ate out in Salou so will never know the culprit of that.

2 Thank MRANDMRSSMITH05