Just returned from our week stay from 30th May to 6th June at hotel el paso. Overall, we all had a fabulous time.
Check in - a hotel worker collected our luggage for us and took it to our room when it became available. It took us about 45 mins to get checked in, but to be fair a bus load of people had
just arrived. Newbie travellers - watch out for the extra tax they surprise you with on arrival. For us it was €12 for 2 adults. This was our first trip and didn't know about this tax. We had a few hours to kill before we got our room, but we went to the pool instead. Kids loved it. The water is cold though but you get used to it quite quickly. The food at the pool side was ok, a little bit basic but hey Ho.
Room - spacious with a balcony. They provided a cot for our 1 year old and made the beds daily. We found it a bit cold at nights but there are fleecy blankets in the cupboard. We didn't need the air con. We were luckily at the more quieter end of the hotel, but could still hear the entertainment quite loudly despite being the furthest away. Luckily the girls slept through it.
Food - if you are fussy, then you may find yourself sticking to the same food every day for a week like my husband! However if you are like me and are a bit more open minded then it wouldn't be an issue. The food was ok, some of it was a bit basic but a lot of it was freshly made. The salad bar was lovely and desserts were nice too. But often the same foods would be made daily and if you are anything like my husband there is only so much burgers and chips you can take! There was always plenty of food and you could have as many drinks as you wanted. There is a Mexican restaurant at the hotel that you need to book for. We tried it 1 night. It was uncomfortably hot and we couldn't get a reservation until 9pm. We had several different waiters and my brother in law waited 25 mins for a drink before giving up and going up himself to the bar to get it. Our starters weren't that great but the bbq ribs was nice and the brownie pudding.
With our all inclusive deal there were a few places at the portaventura park that you could eat for free. We went to bora bora and had a lovely meal in there so would recommend them. There is also a place in the water park you can eat but we didn't know until it was too late!!
Drinks - there is a bar at the pool side selling slush puppies, soft drinks, ice cream and other alcoholic drinks. There wasn't any fresh juice (unless I missed it) and my kids won't drink fizzy juice. So slush puppies it was. The staff were always friendly and you could go up as often as you wanted. There is also a bar at the stage that sells cocktails in the evenings. It was nice to sit here while the kids ran through the maze. There was also face painting in the reception at times where my eldest had her face or arm painted free of charge. The characters would also come into this area and my eldest had quite a few pics taken with them!
Maintenance - the hotel was always well maintained, the pool was clean, the gardens were beautiful. A very attractive hotel. The only constructive criticism I can think of it that our area surrounding our room could have done with lighting. With being out in the bright sun it was always difficult to see the slot for the card key.
Theme park - we spent a few days here. We had a great time. My youngest wasn't able to go on a lot but my eldest who is 4 could go on a few things. There was a whole section we missed out as well for the kids which we are gutted about but for kids 4 and over there are a few things to do in each section. Obviously there is plenty for the adults! Highly recommend getting the express passes at reception. We saved ourselves hours of queuing time by doing this and getting more out of our day. We got a week pass but should have just got one for the days we were going. Unless you are planning on going at least 4 times a week then I recommend you just get for the days you want.
Water Park - great fun! Something for all the family. But our kids preferred just to walk around the pool with the pirate ship than go on the rides. Again the water is cold but you get used to it. We had fun going down the rapids and going through the lazy river.
Check out - very simple although we are quite annoyed about missing our last breakfast that we paid for as our bus was meant to collect us at 8.05am and the place only opens at 8 am for breakfast. So be aware of that.
Overall had a fantastic holiday. Would go again. Do I think we got our money's worth? To be honest I don't think so but would still give the hotel el paso a strong 8 out of 10.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Just an hour from Barcelona, El Paso offers a "All Inclusive" designed for families, from which you can enjoy both the hotel and the park PortAventura. The hotel recreates a traditional Mexican hacienda with authentic Aztec decor. The spectacular gardens and the friendly treatment of its people will make you leave behind the stress of everyday life and delve into the beauty of colonial Mexico, just a few minutes from the gates of PortAventura Park.Tumbate really huge pool and relax in comfortable chairs while you impregnate all the excitement of the exotic and extreme comfort of Hotel El Paso. Your children will have fun playing in their pools.And nothing better for fun swimming around a sunken galleon in full pool! Structured in different buildings around a central gardens and crystal blue pools. In our restaurants, savor the best Mexican cuisine and will have espectaculos.Las colorful colonial-style rooms are ideal for a family stay, surrounded by gardens create an atmosphere of serenity and relaxation. Ideal for after hours fun dive into adventure at PortAventura Park break, as tickets are included in the price of your stay! In 2015 the 20th anniversary of the opening of doors PortAventura is met and to celebrate in style with family, friends or partner, we expect you to live unforgettable moments. This year PortAventura presents the new how will offer its Soleil Cirque in the Resort, Amaluna. Furthermore, in 2016 Ferrari Land will open in Europe PortAventura resot to offer a real race track, the highest and most rapid vertical accelerator in Europe and the first luxury hotel themed for the first time in the history of the Ferrari brand, including other surprises. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Jet2Holidays , Onthebeach, Priceline, Booking.com, Ebookers, Travel Republic (UK), Expedia, Hotels.com, Traveltool, S.L.U., TripOnline SA, Cancelon, Hotel.de and HotelQuickly so you can book your PortAventura Hotel El Paso reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- El Paso At Portaventura Hotel
- Hotel El Paso
- PortAventura Hotel El Paso Salou, Costa Dorada