“Good all inclusive base for visiting PortAventura”

PortAventura Hotel El Paso
Ranked #29 of 94 Hotels in Salou
“Good all inclusive base for visiting PortAventura”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 August 2014 via mobile

Portaventura Hotel El Paso is a fantastic base for a family visit to the Portaventura theme park and Caribe Creek water park.

The food was at the higher end of the scale of Spanish 'all inclusive' offerings, there was a wide selection of good (but not excellent) food that meant nobody was going to go hungry. Apart from a busy breakfast, there was no need to queue for a table or for food. The bar service was good, and they were quite happy to give you multiple drinks without having to drag the whole family to the bar. Ice creams and slush drinks were included in the all inclusive and soft drinks (coke, sprite, Fanta etc) were available on a 'help yourself' basis.

There was access to the parks via a 'road train' that runs every 15 mins, or it can be walked in 15 mins. All inclusive guests get a voucher giving the one meal (3 course plus drink) at selected restaurants within the theme park and water park, got each day if there stay saving money or a trip back to the hotel.

The rooms were a little basic, but were clean, quiet and had everything that we needed.

A great hotel next to a great theme park and a great water park.

Stayed August 2014
1 Thank Andy D

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (297)
  • Polish first
uk
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 August 2014

We arrived at this hotel last week and have just got back. We are a family of 4. Upon arrival we had to wait from 12 until 3pm with no room which isn't ideal after an early flight with young kids but we had read reviews prior to travelling and had swim stuff handy. Check in took 10 mins. Lots of info and friendly staff.
When my husband went for room key I said don't accept a room in Armadillo block again after reading reviews and I had also emailed for a quiet room at the pool end in block 4 or 5 NOT Armadillo which is block 6. However he came back saying that's what they had given him. I had also specifically booked on Thomson website a double 4 room not a twin with bunk beds as my kids are too young for me to feel they would be ok in a too bunk and climbing all the time. Guess what? We got a bunk bed room. Anyway after walking in to block 6 it stank straight away and when we got to the room it was even worse. I was literally holding my nose and smells don't normally bother me too much. I went straight back to reception and refused the room. They knew straight away which block we had been allocated so they obviously knew there was a problem. However they were extremely helpful and offered me several alternative options if we waited till the next day to swap rooms but there was no way I could stay even 1 night in block 6 so I went for the room in block 5. Still with bunks and a queen size bed but better than block 6 by far no smell at all. 3 of us shared the big bed and one on the bottom bunk, not ideal when spending £2400 on a family holiday for a week. Corridors as mentioned are really dark you can't even see where too it you key- too much cost cutting here on lighting.
Theme parks very busy through day but quieter later on and fab value. Only let down for me was parade was only at 23.15 so too late for the kids unfortunately but hey ho. Kids love mini disco and the 2 girls entertaining were brilliant. My little girl absolutely fell in love with woody the woodpecker mascot and whoever dressed up in them and elmo were brilliant with the kids.
Now the food is totally totally disgusting, bland with no flavour at all and extremely repetitive. I've stayed in many all inclusives and this is by far The worst. Breakfast is ok however. I felt sick at the thought of eating in tree by the 3rd night and kids had poorly stomachs after eating there so we are out after this. Do not go if you are relying on eating there all week, which is a shame because staff are brilliant and so helpful.
Costa Caribe water park is awesome and was absolutely our best day there. Be warned though no armbands for kids just swim jackets can be worn. If you don't have one they hire them for free but long queue for them and lockers and 30 euro deposit per jacket needs to be left. Can also hire pushchairs in theme park if needed.

Swimming pool lovely. Agree the grit is a real pain and very annoying - hotel El Paso please swap for real sand!!!!

Salou 10 euros in taxi or free bus 3 times a day which we only realised on last day was in offer.

All in all we had a good holiday but could have been so much better if these things were sorted out so I can't help feel a bit disappointed for the price we paid. Definitely better hotels for food.

• Stayed August 2014
PA_PortAventura, Manager at PortAventura Hotel El Paso, responded to this review, 1 September 2014
Dear Traveler041. We truly regret that your experience at PortAventura Park wasn’t fully pleasant regarding the restauration service received. Your complain have been reported to the corresponding department in order to provide you a better service next time. Best regards, PortAventura
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 August 2014

Hotel was great for sunbathing but also close enough to Port Aventura theme park (2 mins walk straight into park - no queuing) to be really convenient even with little ones. Food great, room good - roomy and clean), staff really helpful and friendly and a great choice of food. Rep was lovely (First choice) and gave us lots of good local tips. Port Aventura is brilliant, (rides, amenities and shows) compares well with Disney Florida for fraction of cost. express Pass in hotel is a must, saves hours of queuing for the big rides but also costs about the same for 14 days as 1 day if you buy on park. We will definately go back to both Port Aventura and this hotel. .

Room Tip: all rooms the same, some have a pool view. if you have kids ask for low room as there is one block t...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank lorraine b
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2014

I had a amazing day out and went on all of the rides and I should of got a speedy pass.On the last day me and my dad got a speedy pass and they were wicked and the speedy pass was sold out.so we got a seedy pass gold. With a speedy pass gold you can get into the front cart on every ride I ;^> loved it so you you should go ,
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank DeanAbbie
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2014 via mobile

This was the best got all inclusive food and drinks and everyone is friendly, international food, friendly people in suits dressed up as characters from Sesame Street and more and as soon as I checked in I was introduced to portaventura express wristband and I got it before I went into the park it was simply the best holiday thanks to El Paso

Stayed August 2014
east midlands
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 August 2014 via mobile

Hi we returned from Hotel EL Paso from 16th-23rd August. We travelled as a family of 4, (2 teens, 14 & 16). I was dreading it due to awful reviews on here but we had a brilliant time, the fair rides are excellent and we paid the extra 50 euros each for fast passes and never queued for more than 5 mins x we ate out a lot in Salou (8euros away in a taxi). We visited the aqua park and ate (all inclusive) at the reggae reggae cafe and this was probably the best AI meal we had. The All Inclusive package includes a lunch or dinner, with drink, in the park in selected cafés, but does not include drinks during the day x the theme park was open until midnight x there was plenty to do and reception were brilliant, I emailed them prior to going and got exactly what I asked for room wise and they answered all queries and ordered taxis for us x the wifi was brilliant and worked in our rooms and around the pool, which was a blessing with 2 teens. I booked directly with the portaventura website and saved money. If you do this though make sure that you fly to Reus airport xx

Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Middlesbrough, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 August 2014

I've been to PortAventura 5 times now and usually I'd stay at Hotel PortAventura for it's exclusive entrance into the park but this time we thought we'd try the all inclusive hotel!

Firstly, if you're thinking about getting Express tickets for the park remember to buy it in the hotel, not the park. You get an amazing discount for staying in the hotel so don't make that mistake because you'll lose a lot of money!

The staff in the hotel were amazing, really friendly and helpful! Especially Ivan, he was very helpful.

I'm always a little worried when going on an all inclusive holiday, usually the food is very poor and bland but this place is great! My boyfriend is an extremely fussy eater and he never struggled to fill his plate! The desserts are the typical tiny cakes that usually taste the same everyday but change colour but that's not a problem, it still tastes good!

The only problem with the room is that they seem like the floors need a good sweep or hoover! There's a lot of dust and muck, it stands out a lot as it's tiled flooring. The bed we had was like a super king, you could fit an entire family on it! It was crazy big!

One of the bonuses while staying at this hotel is that your theme park tickets are included and your food is included in the park too (only is selected areas) but you get SO MUCH food! Everyday you get a starter, main, dessert and drink! You will NEVER go hungry if you pick this place!

The only thing that we didn't like about sitting around the bar area outside at night is the children's entertainment! The same songs every night blasting into your ears.. You get pretty sick of it. Especially as we were there as a couple so we had no interest in the children's disco!

I'd recommend walking to the local supermarket for extra snacks and drinks for the room. Just ask at the front desk and they'll give you and map and directions :)

We didn't really walk into Salou, it's not really a place we enjoy so much. Kinda scruffy market style town and beaches don't interest me either. We just went purely for the rides!

Room Tip: You only get wifi in public areas! Make sure you go on Magic Fish, looks like a kiddie ride but it...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple