“Excellent location, rooms and pool”
Review of Magnolia Hotel

Magnolia Hotel
Ranked #17 of 94 Hotels in Salou
“Excellent location, rooms and pool”
Reviewed 19 August 2013

My partner and I stayed at the Magnolia for five nights. The hotel's location is excellent, close to the beach and restaurants, very easy to get around. The room itself was definitely 4 star, the fantastic, huge bathroom with the lovely shower was beyond our expectations, and we had a decent balcony with a sea view. Breakfast was comprehensive compared with others we'd had in Spain, which included bacon and eggs. The pool area was lovely, and despite being mid-August we had no problems getting sun loungers. We also liked the games room with the table tennis table and pool table.
Overall we'd definitely recommend staying here, and would come back in future. A few small things for the hotel to improve on to make it even better, but we were very happy with our stay.

Things for the hotel to improve on in future (not deal breakers, just even better if):
The reception staff were not entirely helpful when enquiring about local events or help booking things we were interested in. They simply told us they had no information. Additionally, no information about anything happening in Salou is provided. August 15th we were lucky enough to encounter some fantastic fireworks on the beach, but when asking at the hotel reception they told us (again) they had no information.
The restaurant menu for lunch and dinner is very limited.
The safe if you wish to use it is pay per day which seems odd for a 4 star hotel.
No pool towels provided.
Housekeeping did not re-stock the bathroom over the week, to the point that we had to request toilet paper when ours ran out.

Room Tip: Ask for a sea view balcony.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Emelye_Arcite

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
  • Finnish first
Dartford, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 July 2013

We only stayed one night but the room was superb was a lovely wet room. The outdoor bar was nice and the staff friendly. typical continental breakfast with a few cooked sausages,bacon and egg which makes a change. There wasn't anything that was missed from all ranges of fruits and cereals to a variety of teas. Slightly off putting being on a business trip and seeing little Johnny walking in the breakfast with an inflatable crocodile but all good fun!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Paul H
Reviewed 4 July 2013 via mobile

I booked my room on Hotels.com. Payed in advance 4 month before my trip. Hotel.com allowed me to list my children. I get to the Hotel at 9 in the evening. Delayed from Rome but that's not their fault but I am tired. The girl at the front desk takes a look at my kids and starts checking me in. In fact asks me to get another room since they have 2 person per room policy. I didn't argue and paid for the other room. She was actually polite so I didn't mind. Then comes out the manager and he begins to lecture me on my kids. He told me to keep the behaved and quiet in a condescending way. He asked me for proof that my reservation tool the kids and so I showed him. He then continued his lecture so I told him you shouldn't have taken my money from the beginning. So he let me stay and told me to keep my kids in line. What a rude person. Just a FYI my kids didn't bother anyone. No one even noticed them in the hotel. Let's also state my request for a nonsmoking room was ignored and the room smelled like stale cigarets. The gym is dark and tiny. The spa on the other hand was run by a different company and were very friendly. Oh I forgot the pool. You better bring your own towel good luck finding one at the pool. Not even towel service. I have stayed in many hotels around the world and I DON'T recommend staying here.

• Stayed July 2013
2 Thank Martin T
nvarela, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Magnolia Hotel, responded to this review, 19 July 2013
Dear Martin,
we apologize for the inconveniences you suffered, because, even though in our webpage states that we are a child-free hotel, in Hotels.com was not clearly specified, so we contacted them and now is already well fixed.
Thank you for your opinion!
Wallasey, England
Reviewed 23 June 2013

Stayed here for a week's golfing holiday with 8 other golfers. excellent position close to very good bars, restaurants and nightlife. The rooms are very spacious with a shower/bathroom that is designed like a wet room and was as good as you get at top rated hotels. The breakfast was first class with lots of choice. if you like a full english it might not be quite the pace for you but everything else on offer was first class. I could not find a single fault with this hotel and would recommend it to anyone. No children as well.

2 Thank merseygolfnews
Littlehampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 May 2013

This hotel is very well situated for the beach and there are lots of bars, restaurants and cafes within a short distance. The staff are very friendly and the room was fantastic, modern clean, fabulous bathroom and shower, large beds, sofa and coffee table in the room, wooden floor, really lovely.
The breakfast buffet was ok, lots of choice, dinner was a little disappointing same menu everyday and a lot of the meat was served cold, which was odd, I wouldn't recommend dinner but breakfast is fine as long as you are not expecting a full english.
The spa is small but pleasant and I had a very good massage for 35 euros. Overall a very good stay.

4 Thank breezy62
Paisley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 May 2013

Very convenient for beach. shops ,bars, restaurants, small supermarket across the road. The hotel is spotless. Staff very friendly and polite .If you want a full English brekkie this might not be the place for you as they have 3 hot food items which change each day, however they have an excellent selection of cereals ,fresh fruits, cold meats, cheeses, croissants ,pastries etc.
The rooms and toilets are very smart as is the rest of the hotel. You have to pay 5 euros per day for a safe in the room. We were only there for a few days so an extra 20 euro not an issue, however take account you will be an extra 70 euro's for a fortnight's trip. Have heard people say a 4 star hotel in Spain is the equivalent to a 3 star in the UK,in my opinion this is a 4 star hotel.Overall could not fault the hotel and the deal we got represented fantastic value for money. Would have no hesitation in recommending this hotel and would look to stay here again if making a return trip to Salou.

4 Thank AndyPatt
Exeter, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 April 2013

Overall this hotel is an extremely lovely place to stay with its very close location to the beach and all the restaurants. The only downside to the hotel is that the shower looked as though it has 3 different settings but we could only get the removable headed one to work and the bedroom lamp broke as soon as we moved it but a part from that it was lovely. Rooms were very spacious and a massive bathroom/ toilet room made it even better and it was lovely to see a sofa and fridge in the room. Balcony was nice with a nice view to the sea. Pool area was different to other hotels which was nice and although its not quite summer season yet, it would have been nice to have a little music and the bar area open even just in the evenings also maybe a little extra for breakfast would be nice. Reception staff were lovely and very friendly. Would defo recommend and would love to stay again.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple