“A Great Family Hotel”

and 1 more site!
TUI Family Life Avenida Suites
Ranked #3 of 93 Hotels in Salou
Reviewed 28 August 2014

We have just returned from 10 days half board at this hotel. Overall, we had a great time. The hotel itself is fab, the rooms are modern, clean and the maid service is excellent. We were on the first floor overlooking the pool and bar area, I was worried this might be noisy but the doors to the balcony provide good sound insulation. The rooms are a good size, with everything you need but the kitchen facilities are poor, a microwave but no plates or cutlery, kettle and a couple of cups and saucers. The restaurant has a good selection of foods, but unfortunately the food was never hot! I can't understand why as they sit on hot plates but unless you got it freshly cooked at the counter then it was lukewarm at best. This seems to have been flagged by others previously but I found the same problem. A positive was that if you were half board you could swap your meals around so take lunch or breakfast instead of an evening meal etc - which was great.
The pool is excellent, there is a small pool for little ones on the mezzanine level, as well as a splash pool, and a large pool divided into 2 areas for older children. The shallow end is perfect for children learning to swim and was perfect for my younger child. However, the race at 7.30 to get your towels on the sun beds for the day is ridiculous! I have never seen anything like it anywhere else!!! It is ver frustrating having to get up at that time on holiday just to secure yourself a bed, others would leave towels on the beds all day and not even use them until late. Again, I had read about this in previous reviews and had hoped something was being done about it but sadly no, it continues.
The day time entertainment was good, the Reps did a good job although some of the Reps are much better than others, namely Charlie, Danni, Dom and Matt….some of the others are a little lacklustre! I was disappointed with the evening entertainment, the Little Pups and Kennel Club for kids early evening was fine but there were several evenings where there was no other entertainment provided - Other Thomson Family resorts have a much better programme. Luckily Cirque Du Soleil was on nearby so we visited that which was a holiday highlight.
This resort is also ideally situated for a trip to Barcelona so that is worth considering.

Overall, we had a great time and the only things that were a problem are fixable, so come on Thomson make this happen!

1  Thank Beeba971

Reviewed 28 August 2014 via mobile

I'm writing this review at 09.30 am on our last day/night , when we arrived we were given our room on the 5th floor and having a 5 year old we asked to move down lower and the response was , " I'll ask my boss and have an answer for you in 24 hours " I must point out that the sliding door was broken and unfit and unsafe for children , I went to the rep and got the same response , I had to threaten to sleep in reception as it was my last resort as I was getting no where , the real fun came when we were told that they had a new room on the first floor .... " Great " we thought , room 120 we were sentenced to , for crimes against speaking up for yourself , we were 3 meters from the lifts and balcony overlooking reception , I can tell you at least 5 family's inner most secrets as they choose the lift area to meet every morning , one such family were up and out at 08.30 every morning and informed everyone of there arrival on the corridor with the 3 kids , josh , Alfie and Luca , running up and down the corridor and the fathers half hearted efforts to stop them , as I lie here in my bed listening to the furniture being dragged everywhere and the main suir pipe running constantly " prob due to the food here " I await my release date tomorrow with much happiness , oh here's the spanish cleaners coming , I can hear the very loud chit chat , overall Thompson holidays don't really care about there irish visitors much as can be seen when we got off our rust bucket plane (we travelled by air contractors there main business is cargo lol ) but the lovley new dreamliner Thompson plane with its bells and whistles is not for us unfortunately !! So all in all with the attention we did get a Thompson package holiday or any package holiday in future is not for us anymore . Oh and p.s don't put a do not disturb on your door , they just walk in anyway ...... This is a 100% honest review and our standards are not high just what any normal family should expect .

• Stayed: August 2014
13  Thank storm0144
Reviewed 26 August 2014

The Thomson reps were all fantastic from the advisors to the kids club staff to the entertainment team. We could not fault them in any way, there was always someone around if needed and the day time and evening entertainment they organised was great! Monday nights I found were the most enjoyed as all the reps joined in to create a show to entertain all ages. They made all of us feel very welcome and often stopped to have a chat to us and the children.
The room was lovely with 2 separate rooms for the beds. It also included a sink, fridge, kettle and microwave. Two bad things though was we had a room over looking the road and the cars and passers by were often loud, on occasions waking us up (ask for room over looking pool!). Secondly we found the cleaning of the rooms to be of a poor standard with dust under beds and sometimes the bathroom floor not being cleaned properly.
The queuing up for us beds was ridiculous with queues often starting from 6.30am till the doors opened at 8am and the fight for beds began!
Overall a great family holiday and would recommend it to others! :)

Room Tip: Ask for a room that over looks the pool.
2  Thank Mazmar81
Reviewed 26 August 2014

We have just returned from a two week stay with our 2 year old and overall had a really good time at the Avenida. The main plus points are the staff who all doted on our little boy, especially Ana in the restaurant. In terms of faciliites for kids, they have everything and more. We had a pool side view (room 405) and although the balcony was small, other rooms looked to have huge balconies so possible just the size of room we booked (suite with one bedroom in addition to the main room). The rooms were very clean although fresh towels did arrive a few times with worn in black marks.

The food like others have said isn't brilliant, but it is better than I was expecting from a buffet. Nearby there aren't two many places to take a toddler so we were content eating in the hotel each night (Thursday nights were the worst).

The main negatives were the incosiderate guests that we encountered. The worst, were a family of West Brom supporters who allowed their wet kids to climb all over our towels on our sunbeds when we having lunch. Don't understimate the noise in the corridors from kids running riot at all hours, with parents obviously getting their fill of their all inclusive alcohol. This of course isnt the fault of the hotel though but did regularly stop a good nights sleep.

The Thomson reps on the whole were good, the kids enetertainment team were good, specifically Dom and Charlie. The one negative was booking an excursion when the Thomson rep booked us on the wrong day and the same rep then also gave us our return transfer time for a Bristol flight when we were flying back to Newcastle. Both were resolved fairly swiftly but caused unnecessary stress. Definitely not good and Thomson needs to adress this!

The area around the hotel isn't very welcoming for families, with bars and nightclubs galore. Salou itself appears to be a bit grubby although the sea front is very nice. I'd recommend spending a few days down at Cambrills (€2 on the Plana bus) which is lovely.

We took a Thomsons excursion to Barcelona which was well worth the €51 each and we also had 7 day passes for Portaventura. I would not recommend Portaventura if you have a toddler as there are only a few rides you can take them on and it simply isnt worth the money. The night time parade and fireworks are also a real let down! Queues for the big rides if you are interested varied from 1.5 to 2.5 hours. Even at 11pm queues were well over an hour. Definitely buy the Express tickets for €25 in the park if you want to do the big rides! Food and drinks at Portaventura were pretty well priced as well with the Italian restaurant at Meditteranea the pick.

Overall, we had a great time due largely to the facilities and staff of the hotel but we won't be going back to Salou.

Room Tip: 2nd floor or up poolside view.
4  Thank ruddoug09
Reviewed 26 August 2014

We have just returned from a week in this hotel. This was our first abroad holiday with our 6 year old and my expectations were not set very high. I was very pleased with virtually all aspects of our holiday however the hotel was very clean, the reception staff were very friendly and helpful.

The hotel has 6 Floors, and we were on floor 6, and it wasnt a problem, the roof terrace overlooked the pool area and was a great sun trap. The Pool area itself was very tidy and clean, the only issue was the daily chore of getting a pool side sunbed (which is a must for a parent with a child that cant swim well).

The Food on offer was fantastic, with a wide variety of choice for all ages.

I would definitely return to this hotel.

Room Tip: Rooms with a Pool view are considered the quietest as the other side faces the street, however our d...
1  Thank BillWinkiesbear
Reviewed 26 August 2014

after starting out our trip on an stupidly early flight we all arrived tired. We were fearing the check in as we all stood there waiting our turn but the reception staff were quick and on the ball dealing with every customer quickly and efficiently. the rooms were spacious and very clean (I'm a little OCD and take cleaning wipes away) but felt that I didn't have to clean to unpack! BONUS. the rooms had two large spacious sleeping areas, one twin room and one double. the beds are extremely hard and after the first couple of nights we had to go to reception to ask for help, they were only too grateful to help and they placed a topper on the bed which defiantly helped. only negative is the lack of mirrors. Three females trying to beautify their selves in one steamed up mirror in the bathroom got a but testing! the rest of the hotel was always clean and the staff didn't seem to sleep always there morning, noon and night. the food was delicious, I've read that some have said that there wasn't a variety, but they always did their themed nights which changed daily, and the rest well works really, every Brit wants chips, rice, pasta! so if you chose not to go for their main I can imagine that it would feel the same. the fresh fruit s and salads were divine, we went all inclusive and oh my gosh, didn't we eat with us all putting on weight. the pool area again perfectly clean and has a life guard on site. Sunbeds could of been a tad of an issue if we wanted to lay out every day, many guest would get up at the crack of dawn to place towel down but frustratingly not use the beds until gone midday (it would have been nice if the hotel stepped in on that). however there is plenty of seating areas outside which done us. entertainment was second to none (especially considering the size of their stage). the entertainment team works day and night from water polo, lunchtime quizzes to panto's. the kids club always seems full of life, our children were a little old for this but the young ones seems to love it. all in all we all had a brilliant time and would highly recommend it. I would guess that the average child's age was about 7, and this is the only thing I would say to keep in mind before booking, if you have older children (ours 12 & 15 year old twins) they can get a bit lost as to what to do, too old for kids club, and too young for the more adult activities! I would happily go back again, I loved it and cant prise it enough. thank you Golden Avenida Staff xx

Room Tip: Poolside room, over looking the road can be noisy with party gooers traveling home.
3  Thank LianaWT
Reviewed 25 August 2014

A good hotel, with good facilities, good suites and good staff. The main negative was the evening restaurant food. First couple of days it's ok, but then it is just plain repetitive. Very little except meat and starch. If your vegetarian you have to live off the same rice, pasta and pizza. For a resort in Spain there was very little in the way of traditional Spanish cuisine. When they did cook paella it was a joke. It was not paella. Improve the food and this could be a great hotel.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family