“Average holiday” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #25 of 36 Hotels in Santa Ponsa
Doncaster, United Kingdom
“Average holiday”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 August 2014 via mobile

I visited here with my parents and younger sister for 10 nights this month (August 2014).
We were staying half board here and enjoyed the different food choices each evening and full english every morning. However we did feel like the staff weren't very friendly and never smiled once!
The rooms were very basic and we had to try create more space as the room was too small for 4 people. We had to put one of the sofa beds in the bedroom which even then was a squeeze! The bathroom was nice but the rest could do with modernising. The air conditioning we thought was quite poor and the room was always warm. We had our towels and sheets changed twice, however the cleaning in general we didn't find had been done well at all!
The pool area was alright however lack of sun beds and you had to get up at 8am to reserve them. The beds were also very uncomfortable so we had to buy lilos to place on top of them so we could actually sunbathe without getting backache!
We didn't find any entertainment at the hotel but down the road there is a square with bars and pubs with great entertainment every evening until late.
The beach was a good 20 minute walk away but there was little coves along the way. €14.50 for 2 sunbeds and a parasol which wasn't too bad.

Overall, we probably won't be returning to this hotel but possibly a quieter posher hotel in Santa Ponsa.

2 Thank BethC163

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (358)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Skipton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 August 2014

A very good hotel. Some modernisation needed but overall the location and service was excellent. Air conditioning struggled!
Not sure about the security comments on here as we had no fears or concerns. Very safe we felt. Very close to the sea front with extensive sea views. You get what you pay for sea view wise and we feel we got very good value for money as we paid for a front sea view. The lack of sun beds needs addressing as it seams the only way to be sure of one is to get up at 8.30am and throw your towel over it and then go back to bed! They would be much better not letting guests reserve them in this way! It didn't bother us though however!
Good service at reception and pool bar food service very good.

Room Tip: High floor 4 or above FRONT sea view
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank ric956
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 August 2014

Stayed for a week from 20th Aug to 27th and I paid for 2 adults and 2 children £1400!!!
I have no complaints about the hotel wot so ever...now if I'd had paid 3 grand or similar I would have a few disputes n complaints to submit!!!
But come on its 3★...yes it may b a tad dated but so wot!!! It's was immaculately clean...towels changed everyday n plenty left for a family...The reception staff were fantastic...none of them were rude or nasty to me in fact I thought they went out of their way to please u...on arrival I'd booked a side sea view room as this was the only option left, but wen they gave me the key 128 I immediately asked for an upgrade as I so wanted to b on the front facing the bay. I paid €150 to upgrade and this thoroughly made my holiday...room 507 was amazing!!! We were lucky to upgrade n I think Esther worked her magic to please me she was lovely and helpful!!!!
There were still sunbeds left at 8:15 am and yes it was funny watching the rush at 8 am but this is wot happens abroad...We went to the beach everday as I don't mind paying for beds n choosing our prime location on the waters edge!!!
Without a shadow of a doubt I would re book this hotel again n again...I like a nice apartment n my mum who came with me is a stickler for cleanliness n if u want fancy this n fancy that pay more n stay elsewhere!!
Keep up ur good standards Jardin del Mar we encountered not one single complaint whilst there :-)

4 Thank EavesLisa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 August 2014

After reading a few bad reviews was dubious to say the least, however, had a fabulous time at jardin del mar.There were three of us on the ground floor with a side sea view which was obscured by bushes but it was okay.Air conditioning worked so we were comfortable on an evening.Brilliant location ten minutes from the beach but had our own little cove which we went to most days.Food in restaurant was nice and waiters were pleasant. Maid service was excellent.Towels changed every day and rooms cleaned. Cannot fault the cleanliness.The square up the road had entertainment every night and plenty bars serving cocktails, beer etc... The only gripe we had whilst staying there was the other British guests.They hogged the sunbeds at eight in the morning covering them with towels so you could never get one and on our last night we were woken up at three in the morning by our neighbours who were shouting and rowing enough to wake the hotel and had no consideration for other guests who had to get up for their transfer at 5.30.
All in all a great holiday in a fantastic location and would definitely go back.

2 Thank tommyjane50
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 August 2014 via mobile

We arrived (my in-laws, mum, husband our son and I) on the 8/8/14.
I was a little nervous as I had read previous reviews regarding thefts from hotel rooms. I was (before reading those) going to take my iPad like we always do when we go to Greece, but I decided to leave it at home and take the iPod touch instead.
We had an apartment which is a kitchenette, bathroom, lounge with sofa bed, bedroom with 2 single beds and an extra fold up single bed. We had room 527 (level 5) the view was the back of the shops up the hill but that didn't bother us as we booked late and spend most of the day out anyway!!
The kitchen has an electric hob and a kettle which took at least 10 minutes to boil. You can rent a kettle and iron for around €10.
The food was fabulous. We have always had self catering holidays but this one was half board so breakfast and evening meal. Breakfast is served from 8 - 10am there were choices of meat, bread, cereal, toast or full English fry up. Previous reviews have said the eggs ect are cooked in fat, which they were but hey, mass produced food is difficult enough. So, there are healthier options!! The food was always being replenished do no danger of it running out!!
Dinner was also amazing, always soup, fresh salad, rice, fish, two different meat dishes, vegetables and potatoes. The desserts were to die for. We had table 48 which was right in front of the desserts which is very difficult when supposed to be on a diet!!! Sponges/cake, icecream, sorbet and fresh fruit.
Another review said children's food was not available - my son doesn't eat chicken nuggets ect so we were ok. There was fish fingers as an option one night.
I brought wifi for a week which was €23! This worked but was very slow. I had to keep logging on every time my phone went to sleep which was really irritating so I set my phone to be always on!!
There are 3 computers in reception if you want to use the internet also.
The pool is very safe for children, the baby pool is very shallow.
My in-laws had the room next to us, they both were on the balcony one afternoon, dad decided to shut the doors ('to conserve the aircon'!) they were locked out!!! Lucily, they shouted for my husband who went to reception to get the spare key!! We can laugh about it now, but if they were holidaying on their own it could've been a different story.
There is a laundry, free to use for hotel guests. There is a washing machine and a tumble drier. I brought a bottle of detergent from the supermarket opposite for €8 and gave it to a guest as i hadn't used it all. The laundry is on level 3 straight outside the lift.
We didn't leave any valuables in the room so didn't have any issues. There are safety deposit boxes in reception to rent but can't remember how much they cost. There are security guards who wander the hotel 24 hours a day which was reassuring. Although we didn't see any trouble at all.
The staff were all friendly and helpful. The sheets in the rooms are changed every 3 days and not on a Thursday or Sunday.
Another review said there was no entertainment for children. Yes, there is no kids club but there is a pool table (that isn't level so quite amusing!!), beach volley ball, table tennis, little tikes little play area consisting of 2 slides and 2 tables, table football and pin ball which both cost a euro a go and yes, we had loads of balls (which are the prize at the end of our holiday!) and there is a number game a bit like hopscotch which we think was French. There was face painting every night and during the day the TV was on with children's TV and painting for the children.
We spent a lot of time on the beach which is 10 minutes walk down the hill. One day I brought cans of drink from the man who walks around the beach. They cost me €15 for 3!! He opened them and handed them to me before I paid. Never again!! The sun loungers on the beach were €27 for 4 including 2 umbrellas per day.
We found a lovely pub half way back to the hotel called the Kensington that has a pool table which my son loved.
Apart from my mum being pick-pocketed on the last day in one of the shops by the beach it was a fabulous holiday, we all thoroughly enjoyed it and would definitely go back to the Jardin Del Mar.

Stayed August 2014
1 Thank Mariannerolfe
Frome, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 August 2014

Booked here for 12 days, 11 nights in August, 3 adults, 1 teenager. On arrival told hotel were overbooked and we had no room, we were told it happens alot and 10 others had been moved that week, we were eventually sent to another lower star inland hotel and told to come back the next day and they will find a room ! Bear in mind we booked this months ago as a family holiday Tarana on reception showed no regret about how our holiday was not off to the best start, she was rude and smirked & shrugged her shoulders and said there was nothing they can do.
We had no choice and went to other hotel which was nice, receptionist was friendly and told us we weren't the only ones ! Eventually the next afternoon we arrive back by taxi to be told room is still not ready, by the time this was sorted we had lost nearly 2 days of our holiday.
The room was ok, had to ask for 4th bed which was a camp one and not very comfortable. No air con, only 2 plug sockets, not really suitable for cooking and you had to pay extra for kettles etc.
No entertainment at all - not good for younger familys.Staff in restaurant rude, when asking for champagne off menu to get holiday started we were told we dont stock it. Pool bar staff rude.
Staff need to be reminded they are paid to provide a service and give people a good holiday not make them feel in the way. Esther on reception was an exception and helpful, if she was manager the hotel would improve.
Poolside and sunbeds were a joke all rushing to reserve as soon as doors opened at 8. We walked 10 mins to lovely beach it was much more relaxing.
The sea view and Bay are beautiful.
Despite a bad start we had a lovely holiday because we made the most of it, if you are self catering and can guarantee a sea view room and just use the hotel as a base its fine.
Santa Ponsa is lovely with lots of good value restaurants and a lovely beach.
We would visit Santa Ponsa again but never TRH Jardin del Mar.

Room Tip: Hope you get one ! Pay extra for seaview and keep fingers crossed !
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
6 Thank robbren55

Travellers are raving about these Santa Ponsa hotels

Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 August 2014

Was looking forward to a relaxing fortnight with parents and to 2 children. 2 rooms booked. Accommodation cramped to facilitate extra bed for 2nd child, sofa most comfortable and coolest place to sleep as beds very hard. Not to worry won't be sleeping at night, too hot as air conditioning does not work and will need to be up at 7:30 if you want a bed around the pool. Still at least get in for breakfast early enough before items run out. If had the time a cuppa in the room would be nice but 2 hours for kettle to boil! Facilities no good for self catering. I was half board but still ate out some nights. Santa Ponsa great, save money from sea view upgrade and choose a different hotel.

• 2 of 5 bubbles