“Not 4 star”

FERGUS Style Cala Blanca Suites
Ranked #6 of 35 Hotels in Santa Ponsa
Reviewed 20 October 2013

Spent one week from 11th October. End of season with approx. 100 guests instead of capacity 550. Very quiet and relaxing but virtually no entertainment. Two nights musicians (dire) one night Spanish dancing (good) one night bingo!!!!. Other evenings only background music. We were on holiday and we had paid for it so the entertainment should have been there or should have been advised closing down nothing happening.
The hotel has only had a makeover in parts. The reception looks amazing, all white tiles and glass and the buildings painted white. Bedrooms painted too but the room for clothes (instead of a wardrobe) had only 6 coat hangers, I stupidly forgot to pack them as usual, and when I asked at reception for another 12, I was met with a look of disbelief. There were 4 of us so why not. Unlike others we do like to change our clothes each day and dress in the evening. There were open shelves for clothes but only two small drawers on each side of the beds. A dressing table would have been nice.
The bathroom had not been touched except to remove the bidet and the shower gave alternate hot and cold water. The shower curtain was not wonderful and the shower was old.
Each day I had to make a trip to reception to ask for more towels, we usually got 3 for 4 people. We had to ask for toilet rolls and one day at 4pm had to ask for our room to be made up. We were told the maids had not finished but with only a fifth of the usual number of guests, what were they doing. Rearranging the dust in other parts of the hotel for the rooms were not really cleaned to a standard I would have expected and some areas of the hotel were less than clean, spills on walkways and paths needing swept.
The worst part of the holiday was the food. It was never hot. Nor was it very good. I twice put something in the microwave then discovered that even hot it still had no flavour. The chicken and turkey tasted soggy. This was verified by other guests, not just us. Even the coffee was rarely hot.
In all a great disappointment. I did read the reviews and decided to chance it but I wish I hadn't. I do realise that people have different expectations. The hotel we were in in July this year with our family was given a dreadful review by a guest, enough to prompt many people, myself included, to ask, which hotel were you actually staying at for it bore no resemblance at all to our hotel.
I would give it a miss, there are better hotels.

Room Tip: Don't bother going
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank Bluelalka
David L, Gerente at FERGUS Style Cala Blanca Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 11 December 2013

Dear Guest,

First of all thank you very much for having chosen Hotel Fergus Style Cala Blanca Suites for your stay in Palma de Mallorca as well thank you for taking your time in writing on TripAdvisor.

I appreciate your comments about the hotel but we are very sorry to see that we have not coming up in your expectation.

Inform you that we take note about all your comments in order to improve.

Once again, thank you for choosing FERGUS, we hope that you had a pleasant journey back home and to have the pleasure of serving you again in the future.

Kindest Regards,

Reviewed 19 October 2013

Having read too many reports on tripadvisor I wanted an all inclusive and came here for a seven night stay in September. The hotel was further away from the town than it looked on the map but only around twenty five minutes from the airport. We joined a long queue at the reception desk and took our turn to do the paperwork. Our appointed room was in a corner on a bend of the building, made me dizzy every time I came out of the door and looked down. The size of the windows and therefore our view was the saddest spectacle we'd ever seen, thank goodness it's painted white as we needed all the light we could get. The complaints about the so called beach are deserved I'm afraid, we experienced an area leading from the decking to the sea littered with stones and piles of seaweed this is not a beach and should not be sold as one if they don't want fair comment. The entertainment was appreciated, if you happened to be over the age of sixty. Best suited to older couples and first time holiday makers. Nothing to compare to, or wanting a quiet life.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Susan F

Dear Guest,
The Hotel Fergus Style Cala Blanca would like to thank you for spending some of your time commenting in TripAdvisor about your recent vacation with us.
We are all working hard to give our customers de best possible holiday. We do apologise if your stay with us didn´t reach your speciation's. Your comments will encourage us to keep working hard to improve both or product and the quality of our service day by day.
Please, be sure that we will do our upmost to ensure all details are improved.
We kindly invite you to come back to our hotel or any other of FERGUSHOTELS in a near future
In case of any further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us again
David López
Hotel Manager

Reviewed 18 October 2013

The stay was beyond good with everything that I expected even more.
Great location with a great sea view, very helpful and pleasant staff workers.
The receptionists, Animation team as well, housekeepers, restaurant staff and the manager who keeps it all in control Well Done.
It was a feeling like everyone there have become my amigos : D

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends

Dear Robert,
Hoping we will have the pleasure of welcoming you again at our Hotel Fergus Style Cala Blanca Suites in the future.
I would like to thank you for taking the time to write to us and let us know your comments. We let you know that your opinion is very important for us.
We are very grateful for your comments. We always be aware of the success of our hotel is due to all our costumers, so in this case, it is a pleasure for us to receive your appreciation.
We are very fortune for that.
Our main objective is to improve every day and make our guests feel like at home , and it is a pleasure that you have enjoyed an unforgettable experience between us.
We appreciate your comments about our staff "The receptionists, Animation team as well, housekeepers, restaurant staff " . We will pass them your kind words.
Do not hesitate to contact us for any other suggestion, which help us to improve our services.
Kind Regards,
David López ( Hotel Manager)

Reviewed 16 October 2013

Came and stayed here in September for a late getaway. The transfer was good from the airport and check in was a good experience.
The room was fresh, lovely view across the water with those stunning sunsets you only seem to have time for on holiday.
There is a small pebble beach area where we sat for many hours, it was handy as we spent a lot of time in the sea. There is a pool and bar but we like to keep to ourselves and this allowed us to do what we wanted in our own space.
We spent a day in the city and Palma has a lot to fit in, in a day, shopping mixed with museums we could easily have spent another few days there, maybe look into a city break.
Sorry to see the last of the summer but there's always next year.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Jamie leigh E
David L, Gerente at FERGUS Style Cala Blanca Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 12 December 2013

Dear Guest,
We would like to thank you for spending some of your time commenting in TripAdvisor about your recent vacation with us.
We are all very happy to know that the time you spend in our hotel was very pleasant and that you enjoyed your holidays.
Once again, we appreciate your comments about the hotel and sincerely we hope to welcome you back in the near future to the Hotel Fergus Style Cala Blanca.
Kind Regards,

Reviewed 15 October 2013

What we loved most about the hotel is the access it has to the sea, we spent much of our time in the water snorkelling, then drying off by the pool bar having a nice ice cold sangria. The sea was warmer than the pool as it wasn't heated and was never in the sun. We went all inclusive which included a buffet breakfast, lunch and dinner, there was a nice selection but again as mentioned In other reviews the food wasn't that hot, but there is a microwave! Which I did have to use a couple of times. The pool bar does served hot food through the afternoon which was nice, so we ate there for lunch most days. The room was a nice size, and was attended to daily. We had a side sea view suite which did have a good view of the sea, and was quiet as it didn't overlook the pool or stage. The staff were friendly and very helpful. The only thing we didn't really enjoy was being amongst so many German OAP's. The main town and beach is roughly a 10 minutes walk. Overall I would go there again as it had such amazing views and had access to the sea. 'Spa' is rated 1 as there isn't one.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Laura A

Dear Guest,

Many thanks for your opinion and for staying at Hotel Fergus Style Cala Blanca Suites.

We are more than happy to read that you had nice holidays with us.

We appreciate your comments about the food and staff, we will pass your gratitude to them.

We look forward to seeing you again!

Best wishes,

Reviewed 15 October 2013

We stayed here for four nights on a girlie getaway at the beginning of October.
I would like to start by commending the staff. From the minute we set foot on the premises to the moment we left every single member of staff in each and every department was helpful, friendly and a credit to the hotel. This in itself makes the Fergus a pleasant place to stay.
We arrived early at 10am (direct transfer taking only 20 minutes - definitely the way to go), to find our rooms ready and breakfast waiting for us. The rooms, with views over the pool and ocean were just fabulous. Lovely renovated and with a separate living room so nice.
The restaurant and bar areas are modern with a nice vibe. Food was plentiful and lots of options - 3 choices of meat and fish each evening along with pasta/pizza bar. I found the salad a little bland and repetitive, but then that's All Inclusive for you. Many deserts and Ice cream also available at every sitting.
The hotel entertainment is pretty dire which was a shame as the terrace is a lovely place to sit in the evening with a drink.
Drinks were all branded with a wide choice however whilst cocktails were available I think a better range could be offered and more detail to taste. Many also had a 3 euro loading even for All Inclusive guests that I felt unfair.
The hotel sits a five minute walk from the edge of Santa Ponsa, about 15 minutes to the centre. There is also the 'Square' entertainment plaza a 100metre walk away with excellent quality live acts each evening - unfortunately this ended the week before we arrived that was a disappointment. Santa Ponsa is a nice resort to stay too.
The Air Conditioning is something that needs attention- A cool blow is all I can explain it as, and during summer months I am sure would be a problem. We found leaving our window open cooler than having the AC on!
I cannot leave this report without a mention to the 'beach'. This is a generous description for a sea access in my opinion. There have been many reports about the sand being washed away, during our stay there was no sand and a huge pile of seaweed to be climbed over. I have also seen many reports of overcrowding, and I'm fairly sure if this hotel was full to capacity with families would be pretty cramped. I think the hotel should take a good look at its marketing and potentially place itself as adults only - my children are older now but there would be no way I would take any child over the age of 4 to this place. The hotel could be fabulous all year round as it has set extremely high standards throughout.

So why have I listed a 4* and not 5* - cost and entertainment I always look at value for money, and whilst I liked the Fergus and its location, the cocktail loading and entertainment let it down.

Room Tip: Sea View in smaller block.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank MrsACM

Dear Guest,
On behalf of all staff and management at Hotel Fergus Style Cala Blanca Suites, we would like to thank you for your time on spent on write a review on TripAdvisor.
We are all very happy to know that the time you spend with us was very pleasant and that you enjoyed your holidays.
Your comments about food, pool areas, entertainment team are very appreciate this will encourage us to keep working hard to improve both our product and the quality of our service day by day.
Once again, thank you for your visit and do no hesitate to contact us for any other suggestion, which help us to improve our services.
Warmest Regards,

Reviewed 14 October 2013

Here we go - I have read some strange reviews on here marking the place down due to the weather or other factors that are out of the hands of everyone except god. Or complaining that there was music on at the entertainment times. HELLO!!! You want total peace and quite, get a villa!
Hopefully this will be of help.
Posatives - On our tranfer we stopped at many hotels that we would have quite happily flown straight home from but approaching Fergus style cala blanca suites we felt very lucky and were overwhelme with the view from the road side.
The hotel is beutiful, alot of work has been done, it is clean, fresh and has amazing views. The room was of a decent size and kept clean.
The bar staff were great, especially at the pool side bar, the food there was also fantastic, freshly cooked and very tasty.
The entertainers worked tirelessly with guests and children, Christina was amazing with our daughter Mia who misses her very much (hope youre reading Christina), she put 110% whether she had 10 children or 1. Comsin was a lovely guy who was very friendly and tried his hardest to get get the adults into some activities (in a non-pushy way) despite the ageing clientel. We didnt see much of Leo but he was lovely when he was around.
The resteraunt was very appealling to the eye, clean and had friendly staff. The choice of food was varied and some was of extremely high quality, unfortunately and having to be honest, it was a little cold unless you managed to catch a fresh batch. we opted to eat out twice for a change, opting for the most amazing Indian resteraunt called Himalaya!!!!
The view from the pool is amazing viewing the mountains and sunsets, simply stunning!
Negatives - The food temperature as mentioned, the temperature of the 'heated pool' is little above baltic, it is quite painful to get into to be honest, 3 adams apples is not a look I like to wear.
The local area into to town is quite scruffy and some of the indoor bar staff are only happy when you are tipping them, you are at (very rare) times felt to feel second class if you have paid for all inclusive.
The atmosphere at the entertainment was a little dull, this was probably due to the several coachfulls of German OAP's that turned up complaining about noise (that wasnt that bad at all and our room faced the stage!), cricket farts were too loud for the Germans!!
Overall, we got exactly what we wanted - a lovely, relaxing holiday. on the plus side, despite the time of year, we were graced with amazing weather and had an amazing, memorable time. I like to go somewhere different everytime for holidays, its a big world but i would definately consider this place again.
I have rated 'Spa' 1 because there isnt one. Didnt want to rate it 5 and people extpect to find one

Room Tip: If you have a little one or would like to be away from the entertainment, request a room on the othe...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Graeme N

Dear Guest,

Thank your for the time you spent to share your feedback on your recent stay at our FERGUS Style Cala Blanca Suites, it is always rewarding to read that our guests have enjoyed their holidays among us.

We also appreciate your kind words towards our staff, their kindness and helpfulness being our hotel´s main strength we will definitely congratulate them all on your behalf for their contribution to your wellbeing whilst staying among us.

Once again, thank your for your praising comments, we hope that you had a pleasant journey back home and to have the pleasure of welcoming you again in our hotel.

Kindest Regards,
David López
FERGUS Style Cala Blanca Suites ( Hotel Manager )

Also consider these accommodations in or near Santa Ponsa
#6 of 52 in Peguera
Zafiro Rey don Jaime
Zafiro Rey don Jaime
#5 of 35 in Santa Ponsa

Been to FERGUS Style Cala Blanca Suites? Share your experiences!