“lovely week”

Bahia del Sol Hotel
Ranked #29 of 35 Hotels in Santa Ponsa
Reviewed 3 October 2013

lovely hotel, standard room without balcony which was fine, it didnt have a bath which i would have prefered, you could upgrade to a room with a balcony for 20 euros a night which i thought was too expensive. The food in the hotel was fabulous, we did all inclusive and could not complain about the food at all. My only complaint was the AC we really struggled to sleep as the temperature in the room was too hot, you dont control your own AC as you do in some other hotels, i did ask if it could be made cooler and was given a huge fan which worked, down side was it sounded like a light aircraft!!!, it then got hot and blue the fuse in the room. switching it on later in the evening, there was a bang and it blew all the lights on the 4th floor!!! it was sorted a little while later, i never bothered after that. we were there for a week, if it had been 2 id have struggled with the heat. it was quite funny looking back. excellent hotel though, if i go back ill take a wee hand held fan!

Room Tip: missed not having a balcony but the extra money didnt justify it for us, depends how much you want t...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank millar181

Reviewed 28 September 2013

Do not book this hotel if you want a great holiday.This experience was SHOCKING !!!!
Just got back home from holiday and stayed in this so called 4STAR hotel
If you expect polite staff, helpful staff, great rooms, great food and service avoid this hotel like the plague!!!
Don't want to go on and on its horrific find another hotel especially if your from the UK

Santa Ponsa is fantastic especially for families great places to eat and drink and fantastic beaches

Room Tip: Always request sea view and ask to view your room.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank Davetruth2013
Reviewed 24 September 2013

On arrival we were told our room was not ready, we were put in a horrible box room no balcony, our view was a 100 ft concrete wall, this was our 2nd wedding anniversary, so disappointing, air conditioning was useless, we were eventually moved to another room 24 hours later, no apologies and no upgrades offered, the room was bigger, clean but again the view was a car park where everyone took their dog to do the toilet, and yet again the air con was rubbish, after complaining they sent in maintenance men, no difference, then they gave us a large fan, which kept us cool but very noisy and we could not sleep with the fan on, the hotel is totally geared towards Germans, Britain's beware.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank joan p
Reviewed 20 September 2013 via mobile

On arrival at 1 in the morning we were giving a disable room which I hadn't booked at all but decided to sort it out in the morning has my mother and I were very tired. In the morning the male receptionist was very rude and said I'd have to pay extra!!!!! For a room up grade I refused and sat in reception until I was given a room with rubbish some what view but at least it had a balcony but paper thin walls. I help run a home for adults with disabilities and nooo way would I ever ever book that room 139 it was small the bathroom tiny how a wheelchair could get in it I don't know I feel they discriminate against disable people has the room window was sooo small and high up no way would a wheelchair user be able to look out of the window but to make matters worst the view out the window was a concrete wall disgusting !!!!!! Where the balcony whether we have a disability or not we all deserve the same comforts on hoilday!!!!! Our room 119 was on the first floor very very noisy by the lift beware lot of coming and going at night. We met other English hoilday makers there who had been given low standard rooms and had to complain . all the best rooms had gone sorry to the Germans which are located at the top of the hotel with the best views!!!!! The waiters in the restaurant were rude didn't smile or make any conversation at all except one night I put a little bottle watering on the table not a where this was a big no no and the waiter shouted at me in front of the whole restaurant has I brought the water from outside he grab the water and stormed of embarrassing !!!!! The food was disgusting and cold. On the positive side they did change the towels everyday but no change of bedding. I'm sorry this is a disappointing review but I had to write what a stressful hoilday my mother who's 68 I'm 48 had its got to be the worst hotel I've ever stay in ....

• Stayed: September 2013
1  Thank h3l3nengland
Reviewed 18 September 2013

Large,old hotel, and looks quite impressive from the outside. Central location for restaurants. Pools are good, but.... this hotel is totally geared to Germans, even having 'hollywood style' silver 'celebrity stars', for their most loyal(!) customers who had stayed 15+ times, cut into the paving stones leading up to the entrance....all the names we read were German, strangely!
Although we consider ourself extremely polite middle-aged Brits, we seemed to get second class service from the staff.
First room we were given was in the annexe, and was a badly insulated cupboard with a view of a fence. After some polite negotiation they gave us one of the proper rooms in the main old hotel, with an 'almost view' of the pool, not the sea view, which we had asked for.
Best feature is the back swimming pool off the annexe, that was good, and not discovered by many guests. Air-con poor and beds very hard, plus generally in need of some updating.
Breakfast was plentiful in variety, but all the food looked of poor quality. If you like a good quality traditional English breakfast, don't bother! So we didn't brave the dinner menu.
Best advice...if you are not German, then learn fluent German before going there, or just don't go there. And if you are German, well you'll probably love it .

Room Tip: Be sure your room is in the main front building, not the annexe.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Graham F
Reviewed 18 September 2013 via mobile

This is my eighth year staying at the Bahia del Sol in Santa Ponsa. The reception staff are always welcoming and efficient. They always try to give me a similar room each year. This year the hotel had a lot of students employed- they were hard working polite and friendly! The food on the all inclusive was fresh and plentiful, it is buffet style and there was variety! Obviously there are only so many different types of salad! The hot meats were good quality and there was always a choice. The rooms (in main hotel overlooking pool) (for which I paid a supplement) are always well
Maintained and kept spotlessly clean by the staff. Indoor pool and outside pools and terraces are also excellently maintained. I will be returning next year for my annual week in September!

• Stayed: September 2013
1  Thank Joy2404
Reviewed 6 September 2013

On the whole this is not a bad place to stay, the location was perfect for us being within walking distance of all the pubs and restaurants in the resort, it's only a couple of minutes to the beach or to the main bus stop if you want to travel into Palma or the rest of the island. It's also nicely far enough away from all the main clubs that there is no noise.

Like many others we were given a cell of a room on arrival with the promise of being moved the next day (just ask after breakfast we were told). The first room was very old with the window looking out onto a concrete wall/cliff, it being the early hours of the morning before we got there we just accepted the room and got some sleep. After breakfast we went to ask for our proper room as instructed when we checked in only to be told the room wasn't ready and we couldn't keep the first room whilst we waited, our bags had to be packed up and put in the luggage room until after 3pm. Effectively this means that the first day of our one week holiday was lost.

The room we eventually got was good, the promise of a pool view was kind of right although we could only see about a 1 meter square of it. The room was big enough for the 2 of us and very clean but the air conditioning was pathetic, you could switch it on or off but it was hard to tell the difference between the two, it also turns itself off if you open the balcony door (saves trying to cool the whole island I suppose) or if you take the key card out of the holder which turns the electricity on - this means if you go out the room will start to warm up. Leaving a random card in the electrical slot (I used my Brewers Fayre bonus card) will keep not only the electricity on but also the air con for what it's worth.

The beds were the hardest ones I have ever had the displeasure to sleep on and I can usually sleep anywhere. I could usually fall into an alcohol induced coma without any problems but would wake a few hours later with such a bad back that I could hardly move. I ended up having to take painkillers before I went to bed just to get me through the night.

Breakfast in the hotel was surprisingly good with a very good selection which was topped up as soon as it was needed, there was the usual continental stuff as well as a selection of cooked foods - pancakes, fried and scrambled eggs, baked beans, potatoes etc to name but a few. Although the hotel was quite full we never had to wait for a table, they were cleaned and turned around very very quickly.

Not being all inclusive we didn't eat any other meals in the hotel but if breakfast was anything to go by they would be good. We didn't drink in the bar either because it was quite expensive, there's a bar across the road (Bar Rumba) which has got a great atmosphere and is a lot cheaper.

The main pool area is relatively small but as many people like to go to the beach or into town there was just about enough space, the pool on the roof terrace further back was quieter but the pool wasn't very clean at all.

All in all this is a nice hotel in a great location with pleasant and friendly staff, but there are numerous things that let it down and these all add up. Would I come back? - to the resort definitely YES, to this hotel not a chance!!

Room Tip: There's no choosing a room here, chances are you'll be given a terrible one before being kic...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple