“What a nightmare”

Ranked #7 of 36 Hotels in Santa Ponsa
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“What a nightmare”
Reviewed 22 September 2011

I have been going on holiday to this hotel for 38 years as child through to adult. I was aware that there were to be changes as the previous owners have sold the hotel, but i was horrified at what had happened. The money spent down in the bar restaurant and reception is very obvious for all to see but i can assure you there is no money been spent on the rooms, changes in rooms are all original furniture from previous years have had a coat of grey gloss paint ( which means i had to fight to open my drawer every time, due to them all being so tight.) 2 stripes painted on main wall in room, 1 red and 1 grey to match curtains, top covers and a scatter cushion. During my stay we had 24 hour with no hot water, when reported to staff they informed me "it sometimes happens" when the weather is 36c and you have been on the beach (as you cant get a bed at the pool) the last thing you expect is freezing cold showers/baths. In all the time i have been going to this hotel i have never heard of this happening for this length of time. (possibly an hour or two). Staff were arrogant and the staff on reception at night were always asking return guests there opinion of the changes but did not like when you gave your opinion. I normally meet up with 7 other couples for the last week of August and the first week in september but we all decided this year we will be going to another hotel next year as we were so disgusted in the hotel this year.

Room Tip: try to get a room to the front as side rooms either look in to the side wall of hotel next door or i...
3 Thank jacqui g

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (91)
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 September 2011

just got back from our stay at the playas del rey.had a very comfortable and relaxing holiday.rooms tastefully decorated as is the hotel throughout.restaurant nice with great breakfast on offer.the evening meal was an absolute pleasure to sit down to,beautifully presented and great service from the waiting staff.sorry our stay came to an end,already booked for next summer.

4 Thank roisin m
Oakville, Canada
Reviewed 19 September 2011

Stayed here for a week in early September. Great position, good breakfast, very comfortable rooms and the staff were extremely helpful and friendly ( even tried to find us some confetti as we were there to attend a wedding and had forgotten to bring any). Heard lots of comments about the hotel not being like it used to be, but we had no complaints at all and would go back if we were in that area.

Room Tip: Higher rooms have the best views, front and sides of the hotel.
2 Thank paragon2016
scotland
Reviewed 15 September 2011

Having stayed at Playas for the past 20 years, last Nov. we booked it again. 5 weeks ago I trhought i would contact the hotel to confirm the price with Hanne. I rec'd an EMail back saying the hotel was under new ownership and no record of my booking! I then phoned thehotel and was told "Hotel is full we have no rooms!" eperate I then booked and stayed a tPlayas de Mallorca(super). We did go up to the hotel and see it and also went to the bingo on Monday which Pepe does(the only entertainment apparently). I asked the barman how much was a G & T. he said I will give you discount €7.50, I told him that was twicw thwe price elsewhere. He then said "look at the decor".
We also spoke to several regulars who in fact were staying there. brekfast is basic, dinner €29.60 for very little choice(used to be €10, with great choice + a chupita after the meal courtesy of Pepe). I you book half board, you are not permitted to eat outside as this is reserved fora la carte customers.
This hotel is now Russian owned and German managed, what a disaster. They have turned a nice beach resort hotel into what they think is acity hotel. None ofthe guests I spoke to would go back again.

2 Thank watchmanScotland
mariam02, Director General at Playas del Rey Hotel, responded to this review, 26 September 2011
Thank you for your opinion about the hotel. We admit that you do not fancy the hotel after the reformation, but we cannot accept that you are giving incorrect data especially regarding prices.
The cost of a gin and tonic in any bar in Santa ponsa is around 6 euros, but be careful about the quality of the drinks.
Our breakfast includes a wide variety of food: bacon, sausages, scrambled eggs, several types of cheese, several kinds of cold cuts an ham, several kinds of bread, different juices, tea, coffe, croissants, different types of homemade yogurt, jam, various types of cereals, milk, toasts, honey and many other things. I think you cannot ask much more of a breakfast in a 3 star hotel.
Our menu begins with snacks and includes complete meals and the range of prices goes from 4.5 to 20 Euros. Hotel restaurant "Energía" is being known as one of the best and most recommended in Santa Ponsa.
We do not really undestand waht you mean when you write that the hotel owners are Russian and the manager is German. We thing that it does not really matters the nationality of the owners.
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 September 2011

Had a 10 night stay here, 20/08 - 09/09 on a bed and breakfast basis with my partner.
Rooms are very clean (great housekeeping staff), can't fault the breakfast, there was everything you could possibly want and the Hotel is in a great location. The pool is not very big and there was a lack of space for more sun loungers, although, there were empty ones!
The Hotel is bright and modern and very comfortable, we will at some point be back in Santa Ponsa, the Playa Del Rey would be my Hotel of choice.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank fairbrae
Caldicot, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 September 2011

My husband and I have just returned from this hotel and have really enjoyed our stay there. The hotel is spotlessly clean, staff are very friendly, and the food was exceptionally good. Any request that was made the staff did their best to accommodate.
We have never had such comfortable beds in any hotel. The bar prices are a little high as in most hotels, the thing with this bar is it is a Cocktail bar rather than a boozers bar. Still I think that if the prices were dropped they would have a lot more people in there at night. I would recommend that if anyone wants a cup of coffee after their dinner to have one here as that is good value and a decent cup. I understand that more refurbishments are to be carried out this winter, I hope that they do not go too far overboard with these and push the price of their holidays up too much and out of reach of us pensioners. There was a few complaints about the hotel while we were there but this was from people who stayed there previously to the changes, we hadn't been there before but will certainly go back if we can.

york
Reviewed 7 September 2011

My wife and I are both in our late 40's and our 14 year old son have stayed here for the last 3 years. We have enjoyed fantasic holidays with the previoues owners.

Unfortunately this was not the case in August 2012.

What used to be a Family Owned Hotel is no more.

The pool area and sun beds which used to be adequate for the number of bed rooms has been reduced by 70%.

This 54 room hotel now has room for 24 sun beds which are so packed in it is impossible to move them when the sun moves round. Also 16 of these sun beds are in total shade untill 4;30pm.

What used to be a lovely sun terrace is now a very expensive Resturant.

Gone are the comfy chairs and brollys you could chill out in when it got too hot.

The bar and lounge area is now a permenent Pink and Purple Neon Glow, surrounded with mirrors and white furnature to complete the effect.

The furnature on the balconey could be best described, as suited to an under sevens class at your local primary school. I chanenge any one to sit on one off these for more than 15 mins.

If you dare to wish, too sit out at night and have a quite drink or read a book forget it !!!!!!

You have no control of the light on the balkcony. When I asked how to turn the Balkcony light on, I was told by the reception, I should move my chair infront of the Balconey Doors and leave the bedroom light on. With my wife and son trying to get some sleep; this would seem to be a very careing attitude for guest's.

The bar prices are off the scale !!!!! It was so bad even those who managed to get a sun bed went to the bar over the road for a drink when it got too hot.

E3.80 for a pint when over the road it was E1.80 and much more enjoyable.

Ok, that is my sum up of our holiday at the Playas Del Rey, Santa Ponsa in August 2011.

Beware it is not what it used to be.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank mcg7
Thank you for yuor opinion about the hotel.
The hotel offers you a beautiful terrace with plenty of sunbeds on the fifth floor roof with sunshine all day long, facing the spectacular Santa Ponsa bay.
Our restaurant price range varies from 4.9 to 20 euros, so there is much choice to offer our clients.
The balcony lights are turned on when night falls and are being turned off at 24.00 hour not to bother our guests. It has always worked this way and there were no complains about it so far. Nothing has changed about the time of turning on/off the balcony lights.
Probably the bar prices are a bit higher than those of our competitors, but please have in mind that it is not the same being in a bar sticked to the street exposed to noise and dust and to be in a hotel with exclusive decoration, good music, quality drinks, complete tranquility, clean bathrooms, etc.
Our intention has always been to offer the best possible service to our clients, we are trully sorry not having achieved that in your case.