“Very small rooms”

Playas del Rey Hotel
Ranked #7 of 33 Hotels in Santa Ponsa
Reviewed 10 August 2014

Had read such great reviews before arriving so we were very excited about our week at Plays Del Rey. Unfortunately I cannot agree with the glowing reports. We had a less than enjoyable holiday and would not think about returning here. First of all the room we were given was very basic and tiny. Not small, tiny. I've stayed all over the world in capital cities such as Paris and Hong Kong where hotel rooms are notoriously small but I can honestly say that this beat them all hands down. The hotel was full so changing room was not an option. The noise in the tiny room was also a problem as we could hear everything from our next door neighbours on both sides, as well as from above. We are early sleepers and early risers compared to most holiday makers so for us getting a good, sound nights sleep became impossible as every time someone went out or came back in it woke us up. On to the swimming pool. Similar dimensions to the room with an imposing ugly wall
alongside which ruined the ambiance. We ended up spending very little time at the hotel and decided that the beach must be a better choice for relaxing. Wrong! Expensive to use the sunbeds and so we had to try and find a free spot on the sand. This was difficult as it was a very busy beach and also a very noisy one. We had people continually passing by our heads within inches and on various occasions I had sand kicked in my hair. Suffice to say we were not happy with our hotel choice or the resort really. Lot's of drunk people making a lot of noise basically. Disappointed and a wasted weeks holiday for us.

Reviewed 10 August 2014

Have just stayed here with my Husband for 9 days to celebrate my birthday. Check in was easy and we were given room 510 by Natalia who is extremely friendly and helpful. The room was very nice with modern décor and was spotlessly clean. The balcony had a great view of the sea and surrounding area. The room was a good size for the two of us with plenty of wardrobe space. The bathroom was OK but the bath was the smallest I had ever seen, I am not exceptionally tall at 5.7 but could not get my body is this bath, even sitting up I could not straighten my legs. The water pressure was pathetic so even having a shower was annoying. The Hotel seemed to be well managed and all the staff are friendly. The area outside around the pool is a bit cramped if you want a sunbed but there was a lot of space on the 5th floor terrace but sadly no parasol so we didn't use it. If you are expecting a decent English breakfast at this Hotel forget it. We stayed on a bed & breakfast basis but the breakfast was a complete waste of time, I would even go so far as to say it was awful. Not geared around English at all. We had just cereal a few times but the milk was warm. They did do scramble egg most days but it usually had something in it like potato or mixed veg.(Yuck)
I knew this Hotel had no tea/coffee making facilities but I asked reception if they had a spare kettle and cups for the room, they happily obliged.
The Hotel is in a great location with plenty of restaurants, bars and shops close by.

2  Thank Julie G
Reviewed 5 August 2014

Stayed for a week at the end of July. Went with a teenager and couldn't really fault this hotel. Clean and welcoming and lovely staff. Modern looking as well. I usually find hotel beds a killer but I slept soundly every night. I asked for a quiet room before I went and i got it - it was great. Good location as well as near the beach. Far enough away from 'the square' not to be disturbed by it but close enough to walk to it if you wanted to go and see one of the tribute acts one night. My only small gripe was that there was no tea tray in the room but i knew that before i went and i brought a wee travel kettle with me - they may even have supplied one if I had asked but i didn't. (Wi-Fi worked well most of the time except one day when something 'broke'. Didn't take them long to fix it though.) I've stayed in a couple of hotels in Santa Ponsa and this was by far the best 3*.

Room Tip: I was in 412 - sea view with balcony - on the side of the hotel but front facing. It was a nice qu...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Marie W
Reviewed 31 July 2014

A fantastic experience from start to finish. Nice room and stunning bar within a 100m walk to the beach. Juan the barman was a star, the lifeguard was most helpful. Breakfast was a good continental spread with german style sausage and bacon with scrambled eggs, all help yourself. We went with another couple who had the room next door (quite often a problem to accomodate!) Its a must for couples, its on the quiet side of the bay with only a short walk to the carnage of the irish quarter. Which by the way has its charms and is totally safe.

3  Thank TomMarian
Reviewed 31 July 2014

We stayed 4 nights and were delighted with all aspects of the hotel from the warm welcome received from Natalia to the well appointed rooms, spotlessly clean with very comfortable beds, to the plentiful, varied and freshly prepared breakfast.

A high standard of cleanliness was evident throughout the hotel and the tasteful, modern, contemporay style of decor and the comfortable sunbeds made for a very relaxing and enjoyable break.

A lovely hotel, we would definitely return.

Room Tip: Room 406 - great sea view and lovely big balcony
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank Mike L
Reviewed 31 July 2014

Stayed a week and generally hotel is clean and staff make an effort to be helpful. Liked that beach was nearby. Bad points: Room and balcony hardly got any sun so was dark and bed extremely hard! Pool is way too small for size of hotel and small squashed outside area to relax on. Felt like it was more of a residential apartment building rather than a proper hotel. Breakfast fresh but boring and not enough choices. Forget wifi. They advertise they have it but it just does not work.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 July 2014

We booked this hotel last minute and glad we did.

Very friendly staff and nothing was ever a problem, fantastic modern rooms and very clean. Breakfast was excellent too.

Pool area was nice and quiet with a lovely pool.

Perfect for families or couples.

Would defo go back to this hotel again.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family