“Disappointed !!” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #4 of 36 Hotels in Santa Ponsa
dumfriesshire
“Disappointed !!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 September 2012

We have just returned from this hotel . Husband booked this after reading reviews .. Food was always lukewarm no matter what time you went to eat also quite tasteless. Around the pool Sardines came to mind everyone was crammed in .In its favour the hotel was clean and the entertainment was good . Max is a great entertainer so funny . All in all its not a hotel we will visit again :-(

2 Thank kaz43red

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (517)
  • Polish first
Swindon, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 September 2012

We went there last year and just had another 2 week holiday with the family. Do not go if you are expecting a luxury hotel but want a fun and relaxing no frills holiday. It is clean and comfortable with plenty of laughs, lots of pool activity and some good entertainment in the evening. If you are lucky enough to stay when George Pena is on, make sure you watch - the whole family wet themselves with laughter.
All of the staff are helpful and the entertainment team first rate - Max & Tom are great guys
Food is of a good standard with lots of choice and plentyful supply!
Only negatives are lack of sunbeds and no "all inclusive" after 3.00pm on the day you leave but hey after 2 weeks of over indulgence maybe the kidneys need a rest?

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
Dartford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 September 2012

Me and my partner were after an affordable but decent break during our recent week off. I am a bit of a hotel snob, so although the hotel looked nice, I wasn't expecting a massive amount from the Rey Don Jaime, but I was definitely surprised by how much of a great time I had.

The rooms are a decent size, and our room had a nice bathroom with a full sized bath and powerful shower. The only negative I have about the room was that the beds were two singles pushed together and we almost fell down the middle on several occasions- it would have been funny but we are used to a nice big bed at home so this was a bit disappointing. Each room had a big balcony. You could pay 10 euros to hire a TV remote, which we did, and pay 3 euros per day for the fridge and the safe. The housekeeping was efficient, and the team of maids were very friendly and jolly. They did a really good job. The walls are quite thin between the rooms, so one evening we had a really bad nights sleep because of an old drunk couple coming in and singing and crying and arguing at midnight.

On the first day we arrived we were a bit late for lunch but in time for dinner. On the tables were comment cards. As you can probably tell from this review I love a comment or a review. I wrote some first impression comments, although I am sure they are intended for guests about to check out. One of my comments was that we were disappointed that there was only one pillow per bed, and by the time we had finished dinner and had a couple of drinks at the bar, we returned to our room to find extra pillows. :) We were so impressed and happy that I think I can speak for us both to say we fell in love with the hotel a little bit then :)

Admittedly, as per some of the other comments, it is frustrating, or it was at first, that the pool area didn't open until 8:30, but after some time I realised that I really liked this concept. People always moan that there are too many people heading out at 6am and laying their towels down on the best beds and making it unfair for other guests, and this massively prevents that. The guests queue from about 8am for the doors to open. Breakfast opens at 8, so we tended to eat breakfast and then join the queue. It's really annoying that you should even have to queue and scramble to get good beds, but thats the nature of the people, what was more frustrating was that in order to get a good spot in the sun, I had to become one of those people and that made me sad. Not the hotels fault, just the general publics. The pool is quite small, and is cold. I'm not a strong swimmer so stayed away from the deep end, but it was well kept and clean.

At the risk of sounding grumpy, I am not generally a fan of in hotel reps or entertainment. This is my first experience of an all inclusive holiday, so I normally rush out for dinner so I can avoid it, and if a rep tries to get me to join in and interrupts my sunbathing it makes me incredibly grouchy, but the reps here were friendly, funny, good natured and likeable. Not annoying or arrogant at all like reps I've experienced in the past. We didn't play bingo, not really our sort of thing, but the crowd really enjoyed it. We did join in the quiz on a few occasions, which was a lot of fun. The evening entertainment wasn't too amazing, there was a man who was a singer/comedian, but it's toilet humour that unfortunately goes down well with some people that really makes me uncomfortable, so I didn't like him. He was good if you like that sort of thing I suppose. There was also a Beatles tribute band, unfortunately I do not like the Beatles at all. Nobodies fault but my own :)

The food selection was phenomenal. Salad and charcuterie everyday for the healthy option, burgers, sausage, chips everyday for the unhealthy option. :) The main food was different everyday. We saw carvery of pork, beef, gammon, ribs. There was curry, paella, tapas, fajitas, chicken, turkey, beef steaks, duck, salmon, cod, lasagne, shepherds pie, and a host of the most amazing side accompaniments I've ever had. The drinks were free flowing, and they are definitely not stingy on their measures. Avoid the white wine at dinner though- not great.

Overall, we had a really lovely stay at the hotel. I would definitely stay here again, if I was looking for this type of holiday. The only reasons I wouldn't stay again would be that I like to visit different holiday destinations for the experience, and also, there were a lot of really whiny kids whose parents don't know how to control them properly, so I might look for an adults only hotel next time. Although we really did enjoy ourselves at the Rey Don Jaime, so even grumpy me might be able to overlook this and return again. I'd seriously recommend this hotel to anyone looking for a nice sunny, no nonsense break.

8 Thank hemmington
London
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 September 2012

A very large hotel with a dinning room for 680. If you like small and friendly do not come here. The hotel was average in every way except the food, which was very good!
The room was 'tired' and the bed, well it needed a new one.
The cleaning ladies very friendly, the other staff needed a holiday, a bit grumpy.
The pool area, just not big enough and i've not seen the guests que at the doors with their towels for the sun beds every day awaiting the unlocking at 8.30 to dash out and secure their space!

Room Tip: Try and get a room at the end of the block or you'll be overlooking a roof area or other guests...
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank SuePip
Peterborough, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 September 2012

Went on a last minute holiday with a friend, we felt very comfortable at this hotel, staff were friendly, hotel very clean & food good with plenty of choice. Never had to queue for a sunbed & we didn't wake up till after nine every morning. Good area to wander around outside the hotel although a little more Spanish would of suited us better. If you like the usual gift shops, bars & Irish street then this area would suit you.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank Turquoisebeetle
whitley bay
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 September 2012 via mobile

Fab hotel, great food, looks like a5* well impressed, great entertainment with max at night, mainly families with older teens and some young couples, please don't take very young babies very sad when they are crying round the pool getting to hot !! And small pool is not for tiny babies as they will get splashed by the under 10's as one lady complained that her tiny baby got splashed ahem !!! It's a pool lol :D any how you won't be disappointed music off at 11, small resort , best food we gave ever had in AL no ques at bar either staff very pleasant and always willing to help, restaurant staff def need a pat on the back for the food and cleanness of the tables brilliant !! Enjoy x

• Stayed August 2012
2 Thank dizzydia
essex
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 September 2012

we had a week at this hotel on 17.08.2012 we had a fabulous time. All the staff were always pleasent and hardworking entertainment brilliant i.e. beatles tribute band comedian/singer called george both (brill) we also found animation team exeptionally good especially max (so funny) . trips to come fly with me and pirates acrobatic shows fantastic and great value. and katmando theme park was great too.food was very high standard beef carved off joints in front of you melted in mouth pork, gammon . half chickens all sorts of meat inc tikka massalla racks of ribs (yum!) chocolate fountain one night with profiteroles cheese n crackers too the list could go on. I must say i have never experianced such brilliant food. Rooms were spotless and so was whole of hotel .( Beach 3 mins from hotel walking) loads shops there too . pool was kept clean. I would definately go back again lovely place.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family