“Good holiday had by all”

Zafiro Rey don Jaime
Ranked #4 of 33 Hotels in Santa Ponsa
Reviewed 11 September 2012

We arrived around 4am for out all inclusive week. They had put on a buffet for anyone who fancied something to eat. We went to bed and saved ourselves for breakfast. Room was clean and a fine size. Looked out onto another hotel but didn't spend that much time in room to be bothered by the view! Also it came in handy when i connected to their free wifi! The air con didn't seem to be working a couple of nights but after we discovered the electrics work with any card (although maids remove them) the room remained cool rest of the week. I saw someone else mention the pillows, they were a bit flat for me but speak to the maids and tehy'll get you another one.
Food was good at every mealtime. Took a couple of night for us to discover that there was a children's section but my daughter was happy to try new things and didn't bother looking at the kids food. Never had to wait long for a drink. Slush's are popular. The bar food looked good and my Daughter ate from there instead of going inside at lunch time.
Kids club were excellent. Couldn't have asked for a better bunch to keep the young ones occupied.Took them down the beach, stayed around the pool or went in to play the games. Also lots of encouragement for the adults around the pool to join in games too. Loved the quiz and the certificate presentation. Loved seeing how proud they all were :) The bingo prizes were worth playing for, around 250 euros every night! The shows after the bingo was varied enough and was worth watching. Some nights the entertainment was all audience participation other nights there were singers or dancers.
The pool was smaller than we expected but never seemed overly crowded unless everyone took up the offer of joining in the pool for a game or a wee bit aerobics! Maybe restricting the kind of balls that can be thrown about in the pool would be a good idea. On more than one occasion there was a youngster that had been hit by a heavy ball. I, personally, never made it down to see the queue for the sunbeds although 1 of our party did join it each morning. There was some beds available later in the morning but they were scattered single ones but as long as you are behind the yellow line you can move them to get a couple together.
We arranged a late check out the day before we were due to leave without a problem. We paid the extra to have our room until 6pm. All inclusive service finished at 3 on the day of departure which was disappointing since we weren't leaving hotel until 11ish. Dinner was still provided though only the drinks were to be paid for. Daughter a wee bit upset she didn't get to keep her wristband as they were cut off and kept by the dining room monitor guy. Never mind, she'll get another one next year!
Nice location, beach at the end of the street. Supermarket to the left and McDonalds to the right. Found a euro section in one shop where souvenirs from Tenerife, Ibiza and Barcelona were available..haha. We went to the Inca Market but wish we hadn't. There was nothing there that we couldn't have got at the local shops or along the beach front in the evening! The outlet village was pretty rubbish too, nice fountains though. We had our lunch there then it was time to head back to the bus so only had a quick walk round. Travelling there and back was informative, the wee guy new his plants!
We all had a great time and would definitely go back.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (2,392)

Reviewed 10 September 2012 via mobile

My boyfriend and I returned home on Fri having spent 11 nights all inclusive here. I can't understand some of these negative reviews especially from people who stayed at the same time as us. This will probably be a long review as I want to address some of the points others have raised. First I want to address the sunbed issue that folk keep going on about. There is no issue! Normally in hotels I have to put towels down at half 6 in the morning but due to the pool doors not opening until half 8 you don't have to do that here. We went down to get beds about half 9 and always got a good space. The day we arrived we didn't get down til 1pm and still managed to get beds. There are several stacks of beds at different areas and there was always still some left at the end of the day. You don't need to join the queue at half 8 unless you want a specific spot or want to get an umbrella. We just bought one for 8 euros at the local shop but due to it getting quieter towards the end of our holiday we would've got one no bother. The entertainers are very good, Max makes bingo fun. The kids club seemed very good as well. The food was fine. I would agree to somethings being lukewarm but dinner always had a good selection and trays replaced often. Breakfast was the best I have had in a hotel, the bacon was lovely. I found lunch to be the poorest except for the days that the cooked fajitas and omelettes to order. I was also at the hotel during the power cut and thought the staff did an amazing job even the entertainers helped in dining room. With no power they didn't have anything to keep food warm but brought new stuff out often and had chefs cooking on gas burners. The only issue was that no one was told that you had to flick a trip switch in the room to get power back on so many people went without power in their room until the next day. The snack bar is open for all inclusive when the restaurant is closed. It has burgers, chips, hotdogs and toasties you make yourself. Everything is out for you which I didn't like as apart from the bread rolls and toasties nothing was covered. The hotel is clean and most staff friendly. we had a room at the front of the hotel which wasn't dated like some have said. The hotel is a bit noisy as the walls are really thin and we sometimes heard people coming in late at night. The hotel is in a great location only 2 minutes walk to the beach which is lovely, 5 minutes to the Irish strip and 15 minutes to the square. You could see and hear the music from one of the pubs on the irish strip from our room but after midnight it got moved inside so it wasn't an issue. If you are looking for 4/5 star food then don't go here but if you go expecting 3 star then you will enjoy.

• Stayed: September 2012
4  Thank Timetraveller13
Reviewed 9 September 2012

We have just returned from this hotel . Husband booked this after reading reviews .. Food was always lukewarm no matter what time you went to eat also quite tasteless. Around the pool Sardines came to mind everyone was crammed in .In its favour the hotel was clean and the entertainment was good . Max is a great entertainer so funny . All in all its not a hotel we will visit again :-(

2  Thank kaz43red
Reviewed 7 September 2012

We went there last year and just had another 2 week holiday with the family. Do not go if you are expecting a luxury hotel but want a fun and relaxing no frills holiday. It is clean and comfortable with plenty of laughs, lots of pool activity and some good entertainment in the evening. If you are lucky enough to stay when George Pena is on, make sure you watch - the whole family wet themselves with laughter.
All of the staff are helpful and the entertainment team first rate - Max & Tom are great guys
Food is of a good standard with lots of choice and plentyful supply!
Only negatives are lack of sunbeds and no "all inclusive" after 3.00pm on the day you leave but hey after 2 weeks of over indulgence maybe the kidneys need a rest?

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 7 September 2012

Me and my partner were after an affordable but decent break during our recent week off. I am a bit of a hotel snob, so although the hotel looked nice, I wasn't expecting a massive amount from the Rey Don Jaime, but I was definitely surprised by how much of a great time I had.

The rooms are a decent size, and our room had a nice bathroom with a full sized bath and powerful shower. The only negative I have about the room was that the beds were two singles pushed together and we almost fell down the middle on several occasions- it would have been funny but we are used to a nice big bed at home so this was a bit disappointing. Each room had a big balcony. You could pay 10 euros to hire a TV remote, which we did, and pay 3 euros per day for the fridge and the safe. The housekeeping was efficient, and the team of maids were very friendly and jolly. They did a really good job. The walls are quite thin between the rooms, so one evening we had a really bad nights sleep because of an old drunk couple coming in and singing and crying and arguing at midnight.

On the first day we arrived we were a bit late for lunch but in time for dinner. On the tables were comment cards. As you can probably tell from this review I love a comment or a review. I wrote some first impression comments, although I am sure they are intended for guests about to check out. One of my comments was that we were disappointed that there was only one pillow per bed, and by the time we had finished dinner and had a couple of drinks at the bar, we returned to our room to find extra pillows. :) We were so impressed and happy that I think I can speak for us both to say we fell in love with the hotel a little bit then :)

Admittedly, as per some of the other comments, it is frustrating, or it was at first, that the pool area didn't open until 8:30, but after some time I realised that I really liked this concept. People always moan that there are too many people heading out at 6am and laying their towels down on the best beds and making it unfair for other guests, and this massively prevents that. The guests queue from about 8am for the doors to open. Breakfast opens at 8, so we tended to eat breakfast and then join the queue. It's really annoying that you should even have to queue and scramble to get good beds, but thats the nature of the people, what was more frustrating was that in order to get a good spot in the sun, I had to become one of those people and that made me sad. Not the hotels fault, just the general publics. The pool is quite small, and is cold. I'm not a strong swimmer so stayed away from the deep end, but it was well kept and clean.

At the risk of sounding grumpy, I am not generally a fan of in hotel reps or entertainment. This is my first experience of an all inclusive holiday, so I normally rush out for dinner so I can avoid it, and if a rep tries to get me to join in and interrupts my sunbathing it makes me incredibly grouchy, but the reps here were friendly, funny, good natured and likeable. Not annoying or arrogant at all like reps I've experienced in the past. We didn't play bingo, not really our sort of thing, but the crowd really enjoyed it. We did join in the quiz on a few occasions, which was a lot of fun. The evening entertainment wasn't too amazing, there was a man who was a singer/comedian, but it's toilet humour that unfortunately goes down well with some people that really makes me uncomfortable, so I didn't like him. He was good if you like that sort of thing I suppose. There was also a Beatles tribute band, unfortunately I do not like the Beatles at all. Nobodies fault but my own :)

The food selection was phenomenal. Salad and charcuterie everyday for the healthy option, burgers, sausage, chips everyday for the unhealthy option. :) The main food was different everyday. We saw carvery of pork, beef, gammon, ribs. There was curry, paella, tapas, fajitas, chicken, turkey, beef steaks, duck, salmon, cod, lasagne, shepherds pie, and a host of the most amazing side accompaniments I've ever had. The drinks were free flowing, and they are definitely not stingy on their measures. Avoid the white wine at dinner though- not great.

Overall, we had a really lovely stay at the hotel. I would definitely stay here again, if I was looking for this type of holiday. The only reasons I wouldn't stay again would be that I like to visit different holiday destinations for the experience, and also, there were a lot of really whiny kids whose parents don't know how to control them properly, so I might look for an adults only hotel next time. Although we really did enjoy ourselves at the Rey Don Jaime, so even grumpy me might be able to overlook this and return again. I'd seriously recommend this hotel to anyone looking for a nice sunny, no nonsense break.

8  Thank hemmington
Reviewed 7 September 2012

A very large hotel with a dinning room for 680. If you like small and friendly do not come here. The hotel was average in every way except the food, which was very good!
The room was 'tired' and the bed, well it needed a new one.
The cleaning ladies very friendly, the other staff needed a holiday, a bit grumpy.
The pool area, just not big enough and i've not seen the guests que at the doors with their towels for the sun beds every day awaiting the unlocking at 8.30 to dash out and secure their space!

Room Tip: Try and get a room at the end of the block or you'll be overlooking a roof area or other guests...