“nice hotel”

Zafiro Rey don Jaime
Ranked #4 of 34 Hotels in Santa Ponsa
Reviewed 8 June 2014

Have just spent 2 weeks here 19th may-2nd june an the only thing disapointing was the weather ,lots of cloud an little bit of rain but was still warm but do like blue skies.The location is very good not far from a lovely beach although sunbeds quite expensive at 4-50 euros per bed an same for brolly.The check in was very quick an we had a room at the back which we decided to see if we could change an this was no problem at all and got one at the front ,which was perfect for us.We had a lovely view with sun on the balcony in the evening an it was nice an quiet.Rooms basic but clean ,good English stations on tv if thats what you want.There was always a rep on hand should you need one an they were very nice an helpful.The food was good an lots of choices .a carvery nearly every night which was cooked beautifully ,always something for everyone even if your a fussy eater like me,would be nice if the dress code was no shorts at evening meal but thats my preference.Excellent entertainment every other night but on the other nights a bit rubbish an needs changing.Only one game of bingo every night which was good an also paid good money.The pool area was nice too many sunbeds close together but plenty of brollies .Drinks were good an bar staff quite nice .Overall a very good holiday an will definately go back an would just ignore the negative comments.Have a good hol if you go im sure you will .

Room Tip: sunny balcony at the front an nice view
6  Thank jan r
Write a ReviewReviews (2,388)

Reviewed 8 June 2014

Having read the reviews about this hotel before we went we were very concerned. However we had a good time and found a lot of our concerns to be unfounded, yes the rooms are very dated but it was clean and comfortable and we spent very little time in our room. The food was OK some days better than others but we always found something that suited us to eat. The holiday reps were very good. Always plenty of sun beds but they are very close together, too close in fact. This is a family hotel so there are obviously lots of children here, we normally use couples only hotels and only problem was that there was nowhere for adults to get away from the kids. The resort is lovely plenty of shops and places to eat out if you wish, beautiful clean beach. Would we return again in the future, probably.

5  Thank R B
Reviewed 7 June 2014

Having read the reviews before we left for the airport I have to say I was more than apprehensive about our stay here. However I am pleased to say that we have just come home from a great week.
On arrival check in was friendly and quick, because we had to wait on the transfer coach for so long at the airport we were very late in arriving so had missed dinner, however we were told that there would be a cold meal available for us shortly and there was. A nice salad, with drinks and desert.
Our room was at the back of the hotel on the top floor, the view was nothing startling but this was not a problem for us and we liked the quietness in this part of the hotel. The room was spacious and very clean. Safety box key hired from reception, there was a fridge, but we did not pay the charge to rent and the TV had BBC1, BBC2, ITV & ITV2. We do not watch TV on holiday as a rule but, it was nice to catch the news when getting ready for dinner. There was a hairdryer in bathroom and we had maid service everyday, with fresh towels, beds were changed couple of times and were very comfortable.
The food was all good, I am a very fussy eater and never had a problem getting something the whole week. I have to agree that the food could have be warmer, but it was fresh and good choice. It was nice having the choice of "english" bacon at breakfast time as I am not a lover of spanish bacon. At lunchtime there was a good choice of hot and cold dishes in the dinning room or toasties, burgers & hot dogs by the pool. The evening buffet was plentiful. There was always 2 soups, a "special" served by the chef either roast meats or paella. Then 3 or 4 other dishes and a pasta dish. Plenty vegetables and vegetarian options, stuffed peppers, homemade tarts, pizza, boiled potatoes, roast potatoes and chips. Dessert was 6 or 7 choices and always the best custard I have ever had overseas! If all inclusive like us, beer, wine, soft drinks and water were served from the bar in the dinning room. We did not find the food to be all processed, dishes had obviously been made from scratch in the kitchen. I do agree with others that the dress code of some guests was unusual, especially for dinner.
We found the Thomson Reps to be very friendly and helpful and especially liked Cat and Liam's 5pm quiz was entertaining!
The pool area was spacious and clean, yes the sunbeds were very close to each other but at least there were plenty of them and more importantly plenty umbrellas for shade.
We did not sit inside for the evening entertainment, but did hear it from outside, bingo nightly and then an act. I personally feel that the entertainment started too late and it would have been good to have something going on from 9pm, the girl was very enthusiastic and very popular with the children. The bar staff were friendly and we never had a problem getting served. During the day coffee and tea all ready to help yourself and there was a water station available at all times.
The location was spot on, close to the beach and bus station for getting about further a field if that is what you are looking for.
We would return to this hotel again at the same time of year, I do not think it would be our choice in July, August but that is only becasue we do not like madly busy hotels.
All in all we had a grand time and would recommend to family and friends. If you are looking for 5* luxury or coming in off a cruise you are likely to be disappointed with some aspects, that is why it is rate 3* but I would give it 3*+. New owners seem to be listening as the reviews appear to be getting better, they deserve a chance to work on areas for improvement.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
9  Thank WPOOH2014
Reviewed 7 June 2014

My wife and I have been to the Rey for the last five years,This year as in the past two years, my daughter and son in law have been with us, They love the hotel. We were very apprehensive this year as the roomers were that the hotel had changed hands and also the fact that the manager Monica, Tom, Max & Rosh had all left,

Well let me [put your mind at ease< We have just returned from seven nights at the rey, with six other friends that we have met over the last five years and we cannot fault it, Yes there have been some changes, there are new owners but we think its for the better.

The staff where wonderful as ever, all the restaurant & bar staff have new uniforms and look very smart, they also have name badges and so instead of calling the signor or signora you may call them by the first names.

The food this year was some of the best we have ever had, and on one night we had fresh salmon, prawns, mussels, beef steak, steak & kidney pies and chicken, so i do not know where some of the previous reviews where mad from but they must have been in a different hotel to me.There were one couple who remarked last night that the beef was the best beef they had tasted in years.

Its true if you cruise and then stay at the rey the food is different, you are going from five star dinning to three star Spanish buffet.

Juan Rico is still the same lovable rouge chef that try,s to fill your plate , so that you have the best meal you have ever had.

He is the same as all the restaurant , bar and reception staff, They all are friendly and helpful, they always have a smile and greet you on every occasion. The same goes for all the rest of the staff including the cleaners they always say hello, The reception, bar and restaurant have been redecorated and the hotel is as clean as i we have ever seen it.

Entertainment wise, Yes there is no bingo bongo Which we all loved,But times change and Tom , Max and Rosh have moved on to better things, I hope they find what they are looking for and good luck to them all.

the new animation team is lacking in experience , but make up for it in enthusiasm, and they will learn just as max had to when he first started, so give them a chance, the acts who come in from out side are just as good as the previous years, the bingo is still running, as are the games around and in the pool.They are still played every day as usual, I wish to wish both Raffial and Teresa the best for the coming months, and see you both in September. great job last week.

The Thompson reps this year are very good. They run a champagne quiz at five o'clock, which we all looked forward to and the banter with Liam, from Belfast was great, so keep it up. cat was great with anything to do with Thompson. and Aiden was Aiden bubbly and bouncy. They run a non prize fun quiz all day , that realty keeps you brain going.

the new owners are going to make changes and we think they will be for the best. So we will be going back next year just to see.

Well to end the hotel is still as great as ever, the staff are as great as ever and Santa Ponsa is as beautiful as ever, So if you are thinking about booking this hotel, the stop thinking and book it, We have already booked for September and are counting the days till we go back.

The only down side we had this time was we had really bad flight times,and the pool view rooms are extra. But you are not in the room that long to worry about it.

Its elscorchio so you are outside most of the time.

I hope this review has been helpful to any new holiday maker who is thinking of booking the rey, or to any returning holiday maker that may have doubts. we think that even with out the changes that have been made so far the Rey has changed for the better.

Hope you have a great holiday,

Room Tip: All the rooms are the same, but the ones on the front have a better veiw.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
21  Thank Carlton Stephen... C
Reviewed 3 June 2014 via mobile

Been here 3 years on the run now. I've always loved my time at the hotel, the entertainment made it for me every year. This year it was a bit different, the male entertainer in my eyes was very rude! I tried joining in the games and I just couldn't because his attitude was really not good. The bingo at night was boring and if we asked him a question or couldn't hear him he would about shut up which in my eyes isn't what he should be shouting. The women animation was fantastic with the children, of what I saw they all loved her. She had a lot of enthusiasm and was always smiling. The Thompson reps where just a credit to the hotel, always so happy and helpful and there seem to be atleast one rep around at all times to help us. It was also nice to see them a lot more involved. Food was brilliant as always and it's a good hotel with great staff! Hope this helps everyone :)

Stayed: June 2014
3  Thank Joanne213
Reviewed 3 June 2014

Where does one start? Reception; impressive reception entrance, swiftly booked in. This was a second week following island cruise ( which was fab - couldn't fault!). Room, clean, towels - threadbare beds - no mattress protector, sheets thin never stayed in place, woke up several time a night trying to put sheet over mattress!!

Food - well let's put it this way, I wouldn't give to my dog! Slop on a plate, it was a case of trying to make a meal, Yorkshire pudding with no beef or roast potatoes, when beef was on more like leather - personally I would of like some 'Spanish food'. Perhaps we were spoilt on the cruise. My husband and I had booked a cruise with a stay after at this hotel to celebrate our 30th wedding anniversary ... Now I know you will be reading this and say we our fussy - not at all, we met a couple on the cruise concerned about this hotel and food reviews, the hotel has been taken over 2013 reviews were brill hence we booked, we struggled to make a meal, and did eat out on several occasions. We spent 3 days trying to get out of this hotel, being half term we were only offered another hotel costing a further £700, bearing in mind we had already paid out £2200 and £300 on cruise trips to Thomson holidays!
All I can say if you want a chill out holiday with good (hot even) food do not go here, if you are booked try and change! Snacks, well if you like burger and chips and burger and chips you'll be okay! (I have to say the people tucking in were and obviously singing praises about the food bluntly were obese!)
The rep suggested as the room was ok to hire a car and use as a base - which we did, but hey this was suppose to be 'All inclusive'! Relaxing week - not!
Disappointed customer - would never go back (see web - Handpicked and returning customers!)

Room Tip: If you're booked and enjoy real food (not burgers and chips) try and change! The pool area is li...
4  Thank Trendytrudy
Reviewed 3 June 2014

Food good,location fantastic second year at the Rey Don Jamie Thomson Reps all great Liam,lee,Aidan but my favorite was KAT go KAT.Kat was a really nice person and took time out.Thomson Reps do a good job going above and beyond.Rooms reasonable very clean,cleaners work very hard although if you try and get to the pool earlier they will take you out.;-) I say that in fun.
They do a good job.Pool area clean entertainment team work hard but need to work on there relationship as that work independently.(there no i in team) both Clarissa and Rafael are really lovely people and gifted in different areas thank you for a lovely time !! Lots of lovely Gordie's and Scotish you Know who you are (Gary/Andrea/Sharon and the Scotish Clan Derek & Lynsey and Co Fred & Yvonne x

• Stayed: May 2014