“A very large and loud hotel!” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Viva Rey Don Jaime & Spa

Viva Rey Don Jaime & Spa
Ranked #4 of 36 Hotels in Santa Ponsa
Burton upon Trent, United Kingdom
“A very large and loud hotel!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 August 2014

TRANSFER: 40 mins, making 2 drops first. No rep - had to go to the Thomson desk to find the correct transfer bus.
HOTEL: Quiet area and very large c.471 rooms. I found what people said about the walls to be true - they are paper thin. Could hear the guests next door quite clearly although couldn't make out the conversation (not that I would want to). They were very noisy! It doesn't help when guests run down corridors and bang on doors in the dead of night to get into their room - you can ask for an additional card for the door!! Room was average sized - can fit three beds or 2 beds and cot, obviously dated - again as people have already said. I suspect that Viva hotels have acquired this hotel and it will go through a programme of refurbishment, which the reception has already been through as it is very nice. If you look at the brochure of their hotels which is in your room, you can see that there is a certain 'style' to their hotels.
POOL: lagoon style with infant pool. Again as people have said it is very busy and there's only a small part where the pool is deep so wasn't much good to me as I'm a tall one and as the teenagers were in that part. Apparently when the hotel is refurbished, it will have a roof top pool for adults - happy days! Life-guard doesn't come on duty till 10 am so people still go out and reserve their sunbeds. Someone put their towels out before I arrived around the pool so I suspect about 7ish. They came back at 11.45 to find their towels missing and thought it was "terrible". I don't think so, they had reserved their beds for nearly 6 hours depriving other guests of using those beds. It's only fair! I suspect the life guard had them as they go around looking for unused beds. You are warned (by a notice left on your bed) that if they aren't used within 40 mins then the towels are removed. I think this system works well as you can usually find a sunbed somewhere.
ENTERTAINMENT: hit and miss for me. The tribute acts are quite good - which has already been said on this review site. If your room is stage side don't think about sleeping before 11.30ish. Bingo is 5 Euros a go!! Naturally the prize is in excess of 100 Euros though so you have to judge whether you are going to pay that price. I would prefer a Euro per ticket and then people can choose how many to buy. Viva hotels have an annoying jingle that they religiously play when activities are going on.
FOOD/DRINK - on all inclusive. Queues sometimes at bar but fair play the staff were on top of it and served efficiently so not too much waiting. Snack Bar outside; usual fair of sausages, burgers, chips, sandwiches, ice cream. Can't comment at lunch inside as didn't use it. Evening: lots to choose from and would confirm that it could be a little hotter. Food when left will dry out - this is mass catering!
STAFF: I don't know what people area talking about when they have said on this site that the staff are miserable. Just looked like you and me at work and don't forge that - to them it's work, to us it's holiday and you can't do happy smiley 24/7, it's impossible! They are busy people - hospitality isn't for the faint-hearted - it's hard work!
REPS: I've brought up my family on a diet of Thomson holidays and there's a different approach to their working style now. Airport reps are just that and resort reps stay in the resort. What I saw was reps doing a job that I could do having a nap between jobs and whilst I was doing my ironing - and we are paying for this. Other reps are Viva reps providing the entertainment. What I saw were reps either sitting at a desk, tapping on an ipad, getting a drink - I just think this company has deteriorated. When I mentioned about the high chair situation (I'm now taking grand daughter on a diet of Thomson holidays and she's 1 year old) there was ONE at the snack bar. The answer should have been "Thank you for your feedback, I will make sure that the management knows that one high chair isn't sufficient for the amount of families with infants and we will see if we can improve that". The answer I received was nothing like that so families found themselves feeding their children in their pushchairs. In the dining room there was a shortage of high chairs but fair play to the staff when we asked for one, they found one from somewhere.
ARRIVAL: On arrival at the hotel (turned noon) our room wasn't ready - and it had to happen to the family with the infant!! Again this was reported to the rep but at least he did a bit of an apology. Thomson you have definitely gone down the nick and I wouldn't book another holiday just at the moment with your company - I'd look around as a company I once trusted, that trust has been dented. What do reps do for a living but paper push?! Even the welcome meeting was awful. No effort regarding telling people about the excursions, but just wanted to sell them to you.
EXCURSIONS: if you are going to Palma Aquarium - the Aquarium doesn't charge until children are FOUR. So why do Thomson's charge after TWO? Also take a walk up to the taxi rank, there's a company there where you may get better deals than Thomson. Had my grand daughter been over two years of age I wouldn't have booked that trip with them as I could have acquired it cheaper near the taxi rank (just saying!) Also there's a guy at the bottom of the road near McDonalds who may also be worth a look, but I didn't use it!
BEACHES: lovely with shade but be warned the sunbeds and parasols at 3.50 Euros each!! Take a walk to the small beach up the road (20 min walk) but don't go Sat/Sun as Spanish are there. Lovely little beach with lots of natural shade :-)
KIDS AND THEIR PARENTS: Hotel naturally suffered from parents who didn't control their kids. Kids running around reception on a wet day wasn't good. Eventually when they were playing with the lifts on a different day the receptionists told them off. I'd prefer the parents controlled them. To the two teenage girls who thought it was good fun to run around my suitcase when I'd been on the road since 3.30 am - silly billy, grow up!!
OVERALL: There were a lot of good things about this hotel, but I wouldn't rush back mainly because I found it to be sensory overload it was so loud. I'd choose a room roadside if you want to sleep without entertainment. My grand daughter found it difficult. If they are going to make it a four star then I think they ought to consider the thickness of the walls/fire exits where noise penetrated. If guests are all inclusive then why can't you provide picnic bags for days out? Improve the Thomson reps. Parents to be given advice on arrival e.g. no playing with lifts or running in public areas - it was what broken legs are made out of as the floors can be slippery when wet and there's lots of families with pushchairs and I saw a few wheelchairs too. Parents are in control of their children not the hotel staff! The hotel, in my opinion, have to up their game as it goes beyond a roof top pool and refurbed rooms. I've put the sleep quality as 'terrible' because it is! Also it charges an arm and a leg for kettles and fridges. Don't bother with their inflated prices for keeping your room as apparently they have a courtesy room (50 euros to 6pm and 80 Euros to midnight!!) Wifi is also very expensive - go to McD's down the road where it is free, apparently.
AIRPORT: large with a huge duty free. Again like the hotel, sensory overload! lol
If you do online check in you go and say to the rep there that you have already booked on line and they will show you to the correct desk, according to the resort rep. No sorry Thomson that didn't happen. She was standing at the check in desk with a board in her hand - she didn't meet us off the busses where she should have been in my opinion. We asked at the Thomson desk just inside the door.
If you have baby water in a bottle, we had to have ours tested in an amusing machine that my daughter was fascinated by. If you aren't doing anything wrong, then you don't have anything to worry about.
Sorry this review is a bit disjoined in places lol - need another holiday! :-)

Room Tip: Quiet Rooms are roadside, but you obviously won't have much of a view.
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
7 Thank PerfumePrincess

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (517)
  • Polish first
Essex, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2014

The Rey Don Jaime was an excellent hotel. The transfer from the airport took about 40 minutes although we dropped off 3 or 4 groups before we got to our hotel. The staff are so friendly and helpful, the hotel is very very clean and the food is the best I have eaten on an all inclusive holiday. REAL BACON! lol The room we had was not exactly large but was big enough for the two of us, although there could have been more wardrobe space. There are not too many rooms overlooking the pool as it is at the end of the hotel rather than one side or the other. The beach is a 2 minute walk up the road. There are plenty of bars and shops very close to the hotel with plenty sports bars for the footie. The only thing that was not 100% was the entertainment although we had three good nights in there over the week. One was with a magician who was very good and the other two were a Tina Turner impersonator but the best night we had was with a group called La Bitles who were probably the best Beatles tribute band I have ever seen. Other nights at the hotel were having your photo done with a group of parrots??? and a miss viva competition which was not the greatest beauty contest, and bingo every night for about half an hour. We would definitely go back again as they are refurbishing it next year with bigger and better rooms. The hotel is billed as a 3 star but we thought it should of had a 4 star rating, thats how good we thought it was. So if you like clean rooms good food and being very close to the beach then this is the hotel for you. By the way, it was a little noisy in the middle of the night due to people checking in at all times but you cant legislate for people who dont care about others trying to sleep when they first get to the hotel. Overall it is a great hotel and we would definitely go back.

4 Thank raynkerry p
england
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2014

This was a return visit to the hotel as we were so impressed last year with the entertainment team.
However this year the entertainment was rubbish. The three staff were very inexperienced to the point I doubt they had ever done the job before, and one who was Spanish called the bingo even though he was difficult to understand. There seemed no enthusiasm or wish to get guests involved, unlike last year when about 200 people were doing party dances in the pool.
The Don Jaime hopes to become a 4 star next year but they really will have to sort out the entertainment if they are going to achieve this. My advice therefore would be to not take the all inclusive package but instead go out and find your entertainment and buy you own drinks.
To be fair the location is good , the food is adequate if a bit repetitive , and the rooms are comfortable. Sunbeds are a problem unless you get up at 6.30 to put down a towel although the lifeguard did take off some towels which had been there unused.
We still had a good time but wouldn't go back as we like to be entertained if we are all inclusive

Room Tip: Go for a higher room at the back of the hotel if you like to go to bed early so you are not disturbe...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank GrahamEssex
edinburgh
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2014

stayed here august 2014, 1 week all inclusive. Hotel and staff fantastic. Rooms although dated, were spotless. Staff couldn't be anymore helpful, thompsons reps fantastic,Kat , Aiden,David and Leigh.Wouldn't hesitate to return to this outstanding hotel. Hygiene couldn't be faulted. On site entertainment good, great salsa bar nearbye, well worth a visit.

2 Thank kathyburg
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2014

Have just returned home after ten days at the rey don Jamie- our second visit. Like many others on here we booked because of the fantastic entertainment provided by Max and Rosh last year, so we were slightly worried after reading all the reviews for this year. However, we shouldn't have been concerned- a great time was had by all.
All of the staff work extremely hard at this hotel- the reception staff cannot do enough to make your stay the best ever, the cleaners around the pool area work tirelessly cleaning up litter because people can't be bothered to walk to the bins, and instead let it blow about into the pool on occasions, the bar staff are helpful, especially Peter who always had a smile and time for a quick chat- a polite thank you and please works wonders, and the restaurant staff, led by Mr Chef, do their best to provide great service.
We upgraded to a sea view room and had a fantastic room on the fifth floor with a large balcony- the pool towels every day were an added bonus. The room was cleaned to a very high standard but the riu towels have all seen better days, unlike the viva towels which were white and fluffy. Towels were changed every day if you asked and sheets were changed often.
I don't know what people are complaining about related to food- fantastic variety, hot, daily specials etc. What more could people want?
The entertainment team worked really hard- my daughter went to kids club and Charissa was lovely to her. Activities for the children were varied, but water games need to be age restricted as on one occasion the children were playing water netball when a group of teenagers joined in and nearly drowned a lot of the younger children through their messing about!!!
Bingo took place very night and was ok; evening entertainment very mixed! Tribute acts seemed the best bet.
The Thomson reps this year were all based in the hotel, which was great, as any problems could be dealt with straight away, Again they always had a smile or time for a quick chat.
The system around the pool is much improved- no more waiting for the doors to be unlocked, lots more parasols, and towels removed if beds are not being used!!! The lifeguard did enforce this every day and she spent time getting to know people too, whilst ensuring the pool was safe.
If you want a great night out then look no further than the pirate adventure show- it is one of the most fantastic shows I have ever seen.
I hope that the upgrade to 4 star next year doesn't mean that prices are inflated so much that this hotel is no longer affordable, or that Thomson is no longer the main holiday provider there. I would definitely rebook! Thank you for a great holiday!

Room Tip: Pay the extra supplement for a sea view room on a high floor.
3 Thank Traci B
Cardiff, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2014

My friend and I had a very relaxing week at this hotel. It was very clean very good service staff were always very helpful. The food was very good and plenty of it. I would like to revisit it once it has had the makeover to a 4 star.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank lianne b
Glasgow, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2014

My first impression of this hotel from the reception was very good. The rooms are quite dated and the bed linen and towels are thread baren. The hotel boast that it is becoming a 4 star going forwar, I would say that a lot of work needs to be carried out before this could be classed as a 4 star. Entertainment brought it was very good, however the hotel own rep entertainment was shocking by any standards. If you like sun bathing forget the hotel pool as you cannot get anywhere near it. I think the towels go down on the beds the night before as every bed it taken before 7.00am in the morning - this should not be allowed but the hotel showed no objections other than a few posters up about this not being allowed - they never carried out the rule. To be honest we stayed well clear of the hotel pool as during our 1-week stay the pool was closed due to someone (not a child) pooing in the pool. This just shows the class of people this hotel attracts. The staff are also not very friendly. The food was ok but I have stayed in better hotels in spain where the food was very good. I found a few flies in the buffet food which was not very appealing. The only good points about this hotel were the location and front reception. I would definetly not go back and I am very disapointed that Thomsons recomend this hotel, their standards must be slipping.

Room Tip: When you arrive ask them for a room where the bedlinen fits the bed and also ask for towels of a goo...
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank lesleyanne c
Viva h, Gerente at Viva Rey Don Jaime & Spa, responded to this review, 22 August 2014
Dear Customer,

Thank You very much for choosing the Viva Rey Don Jaime for your holidays and for your constructive criticism. We appreciate the time you have devoted to describing your experience on Tripadvisor, and who better than our customers to guide us on the path to excellence.

As you know, we are going to be a 4* hotel next year and of course with a lot of improvements for our customers. I really hope that you had the opportunity to see one of the new rooms for next year, allocated already have in the hotel, to show to all of our customers.

According to the hotel policy, is not allowed to reserve sunbeds. We do our best to ensure the following of this standard, removing towels from sunbeds to guarantee our 40 minutes rule, especially during high occupancy when this happens more often and we apologize if exceptionally during your stay we weren’t able to have a total control on this rule.

Again we appreciate your review and it will be a pleasure to welcome you back on your next trip to Majorca.

Kind Regards