“Great holiday shame about the weather”

Zafiro Rey don Jaime
Ranked #4 of 33 Hotels in Santa Ponsa
Reviewed 24 June 2010

Having just returned from a 2 week stay on AI basis. I booked the hotel last year based on the excellent reviews it had on here. I was though a little concerned juts before we went as there were a couple of negative comments.
I had no reason to be concerned we had a superb 2 week holiday. The food was excellent with good choice at every meal, with the head chef personally offering to prepare pizza for my young son. May not seem a big deal, but remember we were on AI and there was a great selection of food available.
Entertainment team worked tirelessly and apart from bingo (which I personally cant stand) son wife and mother in law enjoyed it anyway. Every night different entertainment and good quality as well.
The hotel have adopted a long trousers policy for gentleman in teh dining room on evening. As I dint have any with me, only smart 3/4 length and very good quality evening shorts, they even bought me a pair of trousers to wear.
As I said to the GM of the hotel when asked if I had any issues with the hotel, I am sure I can find something but overall nothing but praise for the hotel in every capacity.
Book your holiday with confidence here and have a terrific time. Go AI best deal all round.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (2,389)

Reviewed 20 June 2010

right lets get rid the negatives, yes the hotel can be quite expensive for drinks etc. so switch to all inclusive, at 20 euro pppd. may sound a bit expensive but when you take in the daily cost of teas coffee etc. lunch wine with meals. at the end of our holiday we reacon we saved over two hundred pounds. the hotel is very clean. staff are cleaning all day long. the food is typical of a holiday hotel. breakfast lunch first class, dinner was ok. if you want a better range of food book into a five star hotel. the daily entertainment for the kids and adults is first class. nobody is forced in to doing anything they dont want to. the names of the entertainment staff, for those of you who cant remember is max,ollie,rosh. they all work very very hard, to make your holiday enjoyable. and if you let them, they will. bingo bongo sounds daft but it is very funny. i think that most of the people who have complaned about the rey don jamie, want a five star hotel without paying for it. to finish go and enjoy, dont expect somthing that you have not paid for. this was our first visit it wont be the last. bob burns.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 June 2010

We stayed at this hotel in 2008 and wanted to book again for this year (2010). We always check Trip Advisor and I was horrified to read some of the reviews. It looks as though the hotel has changed hands (when we stayed it was part of the Marina Group) and become All Inclusive. If you, like me remember this hotel for it's great food , fantastic entertainment team and friendly bar staff you won't recognise the hotel from the recent reviews. Such a shame as this hotel was recommended to me by someone who stayed there many years ago. Seems like the new owners have spoilt it. It will be interesting to see if the hotel improves it's service over summer 2010.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled with family
Reviewed 10 June 2010

We found the hotel had gone downhill this year - the food was edible but very repetative at night - breakfast was good and great choice. The rooms have been refurbished, and I agree with an other review, there is no privacy as all the furniture have not drawers or doors. The reception staff and the cleaners were very pleasant but we found the staff in the restaurant could have been more pleasant.

A lot of the bars and shops have closed down and the resort looked a bit tired!!!

The entertainment team were excellent at organising games during the day and they put on great shows at night, although we went out most nights as the price of drinks was very expensive.

Think we will give somewhere else a try next year

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 June 2010

It could be a decent hotel. The rooms require upgrading and the walls seem paper thin, especially when you have a pretty active couple next door who every night would decide to try and wake the world with their antics!

The location is great, really close to the beach and market.

The pool could be better, the battle in the morning for space/chairs is an absolute joke.

Food was average at best.

Entertainment for young children was ok, nothing special and we've certainly seen better. The main guy, I can't remember his name, but he's nothing more than a hyper active muppet.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled with family
Reviewed 8 June 2010

Poor hotel for what it costs. Very basic rooms and very noisy. Food is horrendous and inedible. We ate out every night so that was more money we had to spend. They even charged us for a kettle!
Not impressed at all. We were very excited about returning back to SP as we have many friends out there and this was a let down.

Stayed: May 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank cindywsmart
Reviewed 5 June 2010

Firstly and most importantly, I am not a fussy, hard to please person far from it so please take my comments on the understanding that I only went expecting what I had seen in the brochure and from the positive comments I read on here and on the Thomson website before I booked.
Main problems: Hotel is located opposite the locals football training ground, with outer buildings still being built, so not only do you get the noise from the football matches which seem to be daily but the building work too. At night if you are located at the front of the hotel you get dance music and a very giddy DJ from 8pm till 1am and with a 2 year old this was a nightmare, I asked to move rooms and was told no !
The rooms are VERY basic, not even any drawers to give you some privacy with your underwear, so everything is on show for the cleaners. You have to pay extra for fridges,remote control,kettle,iron,safety deposit box - all per day !! £70 was stumped up front for these usual basics.
Food: Breakfast alright to be honest, however evening meal was appauling. We called it the slop house, as you were greated everyday by cold potatoes and veg, meat in some kind of liquid gravy and lots of cold food i.e. ham,cheese etc which simply does not satisfy you after a long day by the pool. This ruined our holiday and we had to spend even more money going out for meals.
Please do not pay nearly 3k like we did and end up coming home early (we came back today instead of 6 days time). Spend your money elsewhere !!!

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled with family