“ABSOLUTELY THE BEST HOTEL IN MAJORCA”
Review of Pirates VIllage

Pirates VIllage
Ranked #8 of 36 Hotels in Santa Ponsa
Middlesbrough, England, United Kingdom
“ABSOLUTELY THE BEST HOTEL IN MAJORCA”
Reviewed 29 May 2013

the entertainment, food, reps, kids club and pools are excellent, didnt want to come home, booking up to go again, my 3 year old daughter screamed when we had to leave here, already counting her euros to go back. the entertainment staff are brilliant especially jelly ellie belly, supermarket opposite the hotel and 1 large main one to the right up the bank, they was no need to leave this hotel as food entertainment was excellent

Room Tip: ask for a first floor apartment as the hedges block all the view off the pool

4 Thank Julie D

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (366)
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Aberdeenshire
Reviewed 29 May 2013

The pirates village is great for children, the social areas and swimming pool are fantastic, only thing that worried us was when the entertainment was on at night the children were running around the pool area. It would been more relaxing if there had been something in place to stop the children from falling in the 2m pool. The rooms were a bit tired and could do with refurb. Overall it was a pleasant stay with friendly staff.

• Stayed May 2013
Cork, Ireland
Reviewed 28 May 2013

I don't know how people can give a bad review on the Pirate village. It is advertised as a 3 key accommodation, and when you get there, it's that and more.
I stayed there for a week in May 2013, with partner and 2 year old. The weather wasn't the best but that didn't stop us having a good time. The Pirates (Entertainers) were around all day organising different activities such as darts, shooting target, yoga, poolside games, limbo dancing, chess and loads more. I can't comment much about the mini-club but kids there seemed to be having a great time with the pirates. I reckon that the weather, not being so good, restricted a lot of activities that the pirates would have planned.
Night entertainment is very good, with something on every night. We went AI and thought it was well worth it. There was a great selection available with fresh fruit and salad every time. Bear in mind, you are in Spain so things are done the Spanish way, so the salad may have olive oil on it and the sausages are not Irish/British. The Paella there is superb! There is different meat and fish on every day.
Plenty to eat and drink there all day. The beer you get when AI is Cruz Campo...It's beer. The spirits are local but same effect!
The rooms are spacious. I did put a comment that there should be Double beds in the apartments, thats the only fault I'ld have.
Its about a 5-7 minute walk from the main strip of Santa Ponsa, which is just perfect. It's nice and quiet at night and away from the hustle and bustle of Santa Ponsa.
Bar staff there are A1. The Manager, Stef, is great and very approachable. The guys at reception are very helpful and speak good English.
The pool area is amazing. Pirate attacks happen few times a week and is very enjoyable.
There are lifeguards there all day...needless to say that's no excuse for a parent to let their child out of their sight.
We were never woken by sea gulls or beer barrels and the staff and maintenance guys there are quick to respond to any complaint you may have should you have a problem with anything.
Overall, a fantastic holiday, and looking forward to returning there in 2014.

Room Tip: For a nice pool view, ask for room on 2nd or 3rd floor. There are lifts so don't worry about bug...

1 Thank Markeboo
Ireland
Reviewed 28 May 2013

Stayed one week All Inclusive with my 8 year old daughter and what a week we had. The apartments are large, bedroom with twin beds, separate bathroom with bath and shower overhead, and living /kitchen area with two sofa beds, but needs to be done up, but we were hardly in them so did not matter. There is patio furniture on the balcony. Each apt has a fully equipped kitchen, incl fridge, but we never used it. There is a new TV in all the rooms, again we never used it as there was to much going on in the hotel. There is no hair dryer so bring your own. All the apartments over look the pool which is a fabulous view.
You can pay for wifi, I paid €15 for one week.
The Pool is amazing there are loads of different areas and depths, including slides etc. There is activities during the day for everyone to get involved and then there is the Pirate attack during the week which is fantastic, the kids love it.
The kids club is fabulous, all the staff are fantastic with the kids, its open from 10.30am to 6pm and takes kids from age 3 up. Kids very safe and happy there with loads of activities to keep them amused when they get tired of the pool or gets to hot. You have to sign them in and out, if there is any problems they will contact you. The food on the All Inclusive is the best I have had, the selection is not huge, but enough choice to suit everyone and its all delicious and beautifully prepared, well done to the chefs.
The drinks included are all very drinkable and the bar staff are excellent, a big thanks to Paul and David who were great and excellent at their jobs. Don't be afraid to give them a tip!
The location of the hotel is perfect, 5 mins stroll to beach and everything else you could need or want is 1 min plus. There is an Eroski shop across the road, and doctor and chemist 1 min either way. The bus stop to Palma is just 30 secs to the right of the hotel or you can go down to the beach and its on the left beside the taxis, its very cheap to travel by bus. I think I paid €2.80 to go to Palma.
The whole atmosphere of the hotel was a family friendly safe place. The staff were all happy and pleased to help in any way they could.
There are loads of nice soft comfortable chairs to relax in during the day or evening time.
The décor of the hotel outside and in the public areas is amazing, and so real, very different, but the kids love it.
I would have no hesitation in recommending this hotel to anyone, just be aware of the rooms, but I believe there are plans to do them up. If so this will definitely be the best hotel in Santa Ponsa, if not Majorca!! My daughter cried all the way to the airport when we had to go home, she loved it that much! We definitely had a great time and cannot wait to come back. Many thanks to all for an unforgettable holiday. Emma & Caoimhe from Ireland! :)

Room Tip: All rooms have a pool view!

2 Thank Emma32Ireland
Limerick
Reviewed 28 May 2013

Having stayed in the old Gran Santa Ponsa Apartments many many times, we were so excited to see the new renovations. We were blown away by the work they completed in 6 months. There is no expense spared here, from the actual buildings to the staff, facilities etc. The interior is done with stone walls and wooden ship memorabilia, giving a fantastic feel to the place. Its completely private now, with access to residents only, security on the door at all times, 24 hour receptions, staff so so friendly on that desk too. The kids club is far superior to any childcare facility I have been in, very secure, indoor and outdoor area, staff are qualitified teachers and child psychologists, so are 100% on what needs to be done with the children to keep them interested. They even have a bouncy castle delivered and put up on a Thursday. Every possible option for colouring, painting, balloon modelling, sword making, show rehearsals for nightime, indoor cinema screen for movie time etc etc, our kids did not want to come out! By far the best kids club I have ever come upon in hotel. The bar staff are extremely helpful, always someone there to help with anything. The food, which was my only fault with the old complex is 100% better, there`s a new chef etc etc. We had a huge range for our 7 day stay and in fact, we didn't eat anywhere else for the week, which is unusual, but we genuinely had so much choice, we didn't need to. As well as all the salads, tuna, breads etc, We had sole, swordfish, hake, pork stir fry, beef in mushroom sauce, pork chops, chicken stuffed with bacon, tropical rice dishes, smoked salmon, prawns, paella, turkey, gammon steaks, along with all your usual for the kids, such as pasta, fish fingers, chicken nuggets, pizza, etc etc. There was a fruit section, where you could take any fruit of choice away with you also. Of course the kids loved the ice-cream bar, where they could help themselves to a range of desserts, sauces, sprinkles, wafers etc. All our drinks were included in the all inclusive options, so we wanted for nothing. Definetly the way to go, as the kids slush puppies, ice-creams, drinks and popcorn are all free too. The entertainment staff are all professional actors, so some of the shows are like something that should be paid to view, excellent, and again, not just for kids, the have the ability to capture all ages. Generally, people don't want to stay in the complexes by night but in this case, it was full each night with the public trying to come in to see also.

The complex itself is only a 5 min walk from the beach, nice area of Santa Ponsa, not near any loud bars etc, so very safe. Supermarket across the road.

One of the biggest assets this complex has, is that it has a full time manageress on site at all times, and Stephanie is second to none. She mingles with the guests to see if she can do anything to make the stay more enjoyable, she loves to hear any feedback and above all, she is so proud of her venue and has great passion for the place and the staff all just love her. Several of them told us how happy they are to be working with her. Its great to see staff happy and hence it shows in their performance .

A truly enjoyable holiday, like home. Thanks so much guys. We will be back.

6 Thank jeff12324
Mildenhall, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 May 2013

I'll start by saying that the day we got back from our holiday in Pirates Village we tried to book another one for the following month. It was that awesome!

We booked this trip for our daughter's 9th birthday weekend. We initially booked the self-catering option, but wanted to upgrade to the all inclusive (which I highly recommend - I'll explain later). Prior to our arrival, communication with the hotel's management company, Gran Isla, was prompt, informative and very helpful.

From the moment we saw the hotel, we were all absolutely ecstatic! They did incredible work with the design and decor, and the attention to detail is amazing. There's no missing this place from the street. The interior was awesome. I honestly had expected a cheap paint job and some artwork to give it the pirate theme. Boy was I wrong! Half the lobby was made into a cave, and the rest had wooden ship beams in the ceiling. Pretty sure my inner child took over at that point! The moment we walked in, the pirates greeted the kids and welcomed us all to the village. The gentleman at the front desk, Damien, was very friendly and courteous, and made every effort to accommodate our requests. We were quickly checked-in and off to enjoy the weekend!

The first thing I want to mention is the service that Pirates Village offers. I was constantly blown away time after time with how friendly, fun-loving, personable, and attentive the staff were. Just when I thought they couldn't do something to make our stay better, they found a way! Within 3 days we were on a first name basis with most of the animation team, the bar/restaurant staff, and the hotel manager. I have never been anywhere where the staff works as hard to make your stay memorable as they do at Pirates Village. Everything from putting together a last minute celebration for my daughter's birthday, to ensuring we had good seats to the show that night, to the pirates forming one-on-one relationships with the guests, the fun and interactive nightly games (with prizes) and shows, the bar staff who were always busy, but still served your drinks with a joke and a smile, the DJ/Tech who offered personal song requests, the kids club, the pirate invasion carried out by professional actors, and Stephani, the amazing hotel manager, who we had no idea had started the day before we arrived. Everything and everyone met and surpassed every expectation we arrived with!

The photos of the pool area don't do it justice. We explored it on our first day there and it seemed that through every cave and around every corner there was something new to discover! Great water slides, a variety of pools to cater to all ages, and the big water bucket that is sure to soak you if you're at the right place at the right time! Unfortunately, the weather was very cold the weekend we went. It was good to see a full time life guard on watch at all times, although the pool was empty. We didn't want the kids to miss any fun though. Stephani referred us to a dive center in town who kindly rented the kids wet suits to help keep them warm while they swam!

I was pleasantly surprised by the food and drinks available. There is always so much going on that you won't want to leave the resort, so if you go, get the all inclusive!! There was a good variety of delicious breakfast, lunch and dinner items, and the afternoon snacks looked tasty, although we didn't have any. I liked that there was a mix of Spanish and British fare at every meal. Loved that the bar staff were always present and happy to pour a strong drink. They really care as much about the adult fun as they do the kids! :)

I genuinely don't want to say anything but excellent things about this place, but in fairness I must mention that the guest rooms dulled in comparison to the rest of the resort. It seemed like they just haven't made it to renovation of the rooms just yet. Although they were clean, the bathrooms need updating, the option of a double bed for my husband and I would have been nice, and the walls were pretty thin. I would love to hear that renovation of the rooms is in the works! With that, this place would be a perfect 10, and absolutely unstoppable!! Everything else was so amazing that we didn't care though, and in no way do the rooms deter us from wanting to come back.

I could go on and on about all the great things about this place! If you're on the fence about whether or not you should go, do it! You won't be disappointed!! We will be back, and I can't wait!!

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
11 Thank Sarahbear1116
Plymouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 May 2013

Just spent a week at the Pirates Village. The good points first, pool area and outside of hotel brilliant, could do with railings around the pool as it so close to entertainment area. The staff are friendly and the kids club for 3-12 years old is great opens from 10.30 until 6. They all work very hard.
Now the bad points
Don't bother going all inclusive very disappointed with this. The breakfast is fine apart from it being luke warm the same goes for the coffee luke warm. The lunch and dinner menu was badly put together. They served salad all mixed together covered in oil. They had meatballs but no pasta, chicken curry but no rice, you got one tray of veg a day the choice was very limited. When questioning the manager she said it is because it is only 3 star. The restaurant is small and cramped. The alcoholic drinks are so weak even if you drank all dayyou don't feel like your having a drink. The snack bar shuts at 6.30 nice burgers.

We arrived late at night with 3 young kids to be told we hadn't paid our bill which was worrying
they don't have any vending machines so had to walk into Santa Ponsa to get something to eat and drink. Apartment was full of ants even had ants in my wine, the tv didn't work the flush stayed on, the bath and shower ran together the windows rattled, there was electric wire hanging out of the cooker. I got locked in the bathroom for 45 mins due to the door jamming, the phone didn't work to ring reception not funny when you have a 7 year old to think good job there wasn't a fire. The seagulls woke you up and I've never known beer barrels beings thrown onto concrete at 9 in the morning.

In all fairness to the management all these problems were fixed on the same day the entertainment in the evening was ok but really thought there would be more going on during the day, the pirates invading was good lasted about 25 mins kids really enjoyed this but that was it, so I hope some improvements are made seems strange they spent so much yet missed the important details. All in all the kids had a good time but the all inclusive was a let down.

2 Thank Sue441
#5 of 36 in Santa Ponsa
SENTIDO Punta del Mar
SENTIDO Punta del Mar
#3 of 36 in Santa Ponsa

Been to Pirates VIllage? Share your experiences!