“Could have been great, but was just good!”
Review of Pirates VIllage

Pirates VIllage
Ranked #8 of 33 Hotels in Santa Ponsa
Reviewed 5 June 2013

Firstly lets start with the good points, the front of the hotel the reception area and the pools are amazing looking, spotlessly clean, and have all the wow factor required to make you want to stay at this hotel.
The staff were brilliant to us but I felt sorry for them at dinner service with a restaurant that's Way too small for the hotel, people waiting for tables, they looked stressed and it showed.
Now for the bad points, the restaurant is under equipped, not big enough and not enough food choice. The food was not hot and the children really struggled to eat, unless you want chips every day that is.
The pools were freezing like another review said and my daughter came out one day with a blue mouth she was that cold, that said, I don't know any heated pools in Majorca so not the hotels fault!
The rooms are in dire need of some tlc but what makes it worse is that ours was not cleaned properly, the floor was dirty and never mopped once whilst we were there and there were ants in the room.
Such a shame that this place will get bad reviews when it could be the best hotel in Majorca with a bit of forward thinking. Too much on the cosmetics that catch your eye but not enough quality I'm afraid.

• Stayed: May 2013
Gran_Isla_Manager, Manager at Pirates VIllage, responded to this reviewResponded 6 June 2013

Dear EllaGNottingham,

Thank you very much for taking the time to provide us your feedback. Your opinion is very important to us so that we can improve towards providing the best holiday experience possible.

We are very glad you liked the common areas and the staff of the new Pirates Village. 2 weeks ago, and following our guests’ demands, we have extended the buffet including a Kids buffet hoping to satisfy the needs of the little ones. We have also made several improvements to the variety and quality of the general buffet hoping that it satisfies the great majority of our guests. Moreover we are extending the restaurant as to provide dining services at our terrace now that the weather has improved significantly.
Our most sincere apologies for the water temperature. The weather this May has not been what it usually is and we do not have heated pools as it is usually much warmer. The water temperature is out of our control, I hope you understand. We take good note of the room issues and will act immediately with the staff responsible to avoid future issues in this matter.

Overall, I hope you had a good holiday with us at Pirates Village and that you enjoyed the beautiful resort of Santa Ponsa. I really hope you give us in the future another opportunity and stay again at Pirates Village. I promise you we are working hard on fine-tuning the small details that really makes the difference to provide an excellent holiday.

Again, thank you very much for choosing Pirates Village and for leaving us your feedback.

Best regards,

The Gran Isla Hotels Management

Write a ReviewReviews (1,645)

Reviewed 4 June 2013

Just spent a week at the Pirates Village. The good points first, pool area and outside of hotel brilliant, could do with railings around the pool as it so close to entertainment area. The staff are friendly and the kids club for 3-12 years old is great opens from 10.30 until 6. They all work very hard.
Now the bad points
Don't bother going all inclusive very disappointed with this. The breakfast is fine apart from it being luke warm the same goes for the coffee luke warm. The lunch and dinner menu was badly put together. They served salad all mixed together covered in oil. They had meatballs but no pasta, chicken curry but no rice, you got one tray of veg a day the choice was very limited. When questioning the manager she said it is because it is only 3 star. The restaurant is small and cramped. The alcoholic drinks are so weak even if you drank all day you don't feel like your having a drink. The snack bar shuts at 6.30 nice burgers.

We arrived late at night with 3 young kids to be told we hadn't paid our bill which was worrying
they don't have any vending machines so had to walk into Santa Ponsa to get something to eat and drink. Apartment was full of ants even had ants in my wine, the tv didn't work the flush stayed on, the bath and shower ran together the windows rattled, there was electric wire hanging out of the cooker. I got locked in the bathroom for 45 mins due to the door jamming, the phone didn't work to ring reception not funny when you have a 7 year old to think of, good job there wasn't a fire. The seagulls woke you up and I've never known beer barrels beings thrown onto concrete at 9 in the morning.

In all fairness to the management all the apartment problems were fixed on the same day the entertainment in the evening was ok but really thought there would be more going on outside during the day, the pirates invading was very good lasted about 25 mins kids really enjoyed this, so I hope some improvements are made seems strange they spent so much yet missed the important details. All in all the kids had a good time but the all inclusive was a let down.

Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Reviewed 4 June 2013

We stayed in the hotel the last week of May first couple of days June and yes the outside of the hotel is very impressive but there are other aspects that seriously let it down. Firstly the restaurant is far to small to cater for the amount of people staying all inclusive and the food is lacking in both quality and quantity and I don't think I ever got a hot or tasty meal in the week I stayed. I did raise this issue with the management but was told yes they understand they had issues but they were only 3* so food reflected this.
The hotel rooms are ok and there was a very nice flat screen tv with numerous English speaking channels but I never spent much time in the room. The pool area is impressive but very busy with plenty of sunbeds to go around they also had two life guards on duties at all times. The pirates attack was good but sometimes seemed very pr and for pictures to put on Facebook so took the fun out of it. Overall would not come back but like to mention the the bar and reception staff are excellent and are a credit to the hotel probably the only reason I gave it 3 rating.

Room Tip: Try not to get room by road as very noisy.
1  Thank Alyssa0006
Reviewed 3 June 2013

when i 1st pulled up at pirates village/gran santa ponsa i was like OMG! its so cool when its all lit up even wen its not....i have no complaints what so ever it was so clean the pool area is amazing with all the slides and the shows in the day the apartments are perfect the entertainment at night was incrediable i never liked watchin the entertainment wen i went on holiday but here i watched it every night it was that good the staff are so nice and friendly i made really good friends there and the area itself was lovley it was that good u cud stay in there all day and night and not need to go see anywhere else cuz theres alwsys something to do if u have kids and want a family holiday COME HERE!!!!!

Review collected in partnership with this hotel
5  Thank Stephanie E
Reviewed 3 June 2013

I stayed here in Mid May. This resort has been updated to become "The Pirate Village" this season. I stayed with my 9 year old daughter. I found the clients to be mostly Irish and English.
The pirate experience is brilliant. The entertainers are fantastic.Kids club is great here as it runs all day so you get some peace if wanted.
I found that most ppl were all inclusive, I wasn't but i would if going again. I found the staff fantastic and the best asset of this resort. Nothing was a problem even when very busy. I found the bar staff were under pressure with bar food orders and drink orders. Extra staff are needed here as the set up tends to fail and food goes cold.
The let down of this property is the apartment itself and access to such. The set of lifts is located at one side of the complex, Thank god i did not have a buggy with me as it would have been tough going negotiating the corners all the way to my apartment.
The Rooms here are in serious need of a revamp. 1980's decor doesn't do it for me.

1  Thank TippSan
Gran_Isla_Manager, Manager at Pirates VIllage, responded to this reviewResponded 4 June 2013

Dear Tippsan,

Thank you for providing us with your feedback as it is our intention to provide our guests with the best holiday experience.

We are glad that you enjoyed your stay with us. I can assure you that it is in our agenda to refurbish the apartments of Pirates Village in the near future; we just did not have in this first year of operations. It is our intention to update the apartments soon to provide an even better holiday experience at Pirates Village.

Overall, I hope you enjoyed your stay in the beautiful of Santa Ponsa and I hope to see you again with us.

Best regards,

Gran Isla Hotels Management

Reviewed 3 June 2013

We have just returned from a fantastic family holiday at the Pirates Village... and can't wait to go back.

Location...
Only 5 mins walk to beach, supermarket opposite with plenty of restaurants nearby.

Staff...
Everyone at this hotel goes out of their way to make sure you have a fantastic holiday, bar staff, waiters, cleaners, reception staff and entertainment team.

Rooms...
The hotel is a 3* and rooms reflect this, they do not advertise that these have been refurbished and they haven't but they are clean and spacious with kitchen facilities including fridges, microwaves, kettle and toaster.

Food,,,
The food choice is limited but a childrens buffet has been added, the food is good and selection varies each day, there was something for everyone.

All Inclusive...
There was plenty of choice with beers, spirits, cocktails, soft drinks, tea's/coffee's, ice cream, ice lollies, popcorn, The snack bar includes the usual snacks such as burgers, toasties, hot dogs, chips etc. Other choices are available but these are chargeable.

Kids Club...
Fantastic with plenty of activities and fantastic staff.

Pool...
WOW!!! AMAZING!!! the best and kids loved the slides, pool etc. Pools are not heated (but where are in Spain?) Kids were never out of them. 2 Lifeguards on duty to keep kids safe.

Overall...
Had a fantastic holiday, have been to Majorca many times and this has got to be the best hotel for families, it is a 3* hotel with 4* staff, pool and entertainment.

Room Tip: All rooms overlook the pool and are all the same.
1  Thank Donna G
Reviewed 2 June 2013 via mobile

We stayed 11-25 May 2013 and were blown away by the hotel. Both the exterior and interior of the hotel pirate style was fabulous with incredible detail. The rooms themselves were fine just basic apartments but as I understand there are plans to renovate these too. The pool area is also fantastic with the pirate theme and lots of slides etc to keep everyone entertained.

The staff are brilliant especially the animation team with mariam and Robert keeping all the adults entertained day and night and the wonderful Smelly jelly belly Ellie and Jasmine at the kids club left me with no worries at leaving the kids there who were disappointed when we came to collect them!

The food was lovely and myself and my husband thoroughly enjoyed every meal however unfortunately I have 2 fussy kids and therefore found some if the meals there was nothing they would eat other than chips. By the end if the holiday however I noted there was a small children's section of food added. I recognised that the staff were very receptive to feedback.

Location of the hotel is great too not far from the airport and lots of excursions and close to the beach.

We were all disappointed to leave with both kids crying when we did and would highly recommend to any families to visit this hotel. We will be back.

• Stayed: May 2013