“Excellent!”
Review of Hotel Golf Beach

Hotel Golf Beach
Ranked #15 of 35 Hotels in Santa Ponsa
Reviewed 31 August 2012

We have just returned from staying at the Golf Beach Hotel, we were there for 17 days.

This lovely little hotel never disappoints. When you walk in the front door, it is as though you are going to stay with friends and family. Within minutes, the staff know your name and you are made to feel as though you are at home.

It's an ideal place for families as it is small and you feel totally safe, not like the larger hotels where you are just another guest and there are hundreds of people passing through the lobby all day. Here, you get to know other guests, and having been there before, meet others who have stayed there before. We have become firm friends with many.

I have heard complaints about this hotel, and from people I met while we were there. However, having met these people I can tell you that they are the ones with the problem - not the hotel. These are the compensation culture types, forever looking for an argument and, more importantly, their money back. We have all met them haven't we? Luckily, they are in the minority and I don't think they will put off anyone who wants to stay in this gem of a hotel.

The rooms are spotlessly clean (thanks to Izzy & Louisa) as is the whole hotel and pool.

No, there isn't any aircon in the rooms but there is a ceiling fan in the room that is adequate in normal temperatures. We happened to be there during a very long heat-wave and found it was cheaper to buy a fan (only 20 Euros) than to hire one - and we brought it home - you know, for those very hot days we have in the UK - one lives in hope LOL!

The bar however is air-conditioned and here you can chat to the lovely Peter and Toni - and how wonderful to sit there in the evening having a drink and chilling before going to dinner - bliss.

The Golf Beach may only have two stars but it has FIVE star service - trust me, I've stayed in expensive hotels around the world and I have found few staff that can match the attention you receive at this hotel.

I was frightened to tell you all how great hotel Golf Beach is, because you may all want to book it next year and there won't be room for my hubby and me. You have been warned!

Room Tip: Ask for the shady side of the hotel.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
5  Thank BacardiKid

Reviewed 29 August 2012

I have just got back from the Golf Beach Hotel. (21st-28th August) I went with my Fiance and I must say it is so much better than a 2 star. It is always very clean, the staff are all very nice and cheerful and are always happy to help. Nothing is too much trouble. We stayed bed and breakfast and again the breakfast was ideal. Cereals, toast, tea, coffee and other nibbly bits on offer. The pool area is lovely, never a problem with sunbeds and again always clean and quiet too which is good if you want to relax. I never ate any of the meals but they did look awesome!!! The bedrooms are a nice size and again clean. Yes the rooms do get pretty warm dury the summer but if you go on a SUMMER holiday to get heat and sunshine then you shouldn't really complain. I slept fine every night.
I would definately stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Mackenzie1063
Reviewed 28 August 2012

My boyfriend and I have just returned from a week in Santa Ponsa staying at the Golf Beach Hotel and absolutely loved it! It was our first holiday away together and perfect for what we paid. The hotel was spotless and our rooms were cleaned and beds made everyday, with towels changed every other. We did buy a fan at the supermarket up the road and it cost us 17euros but was worth it, the rooms are like a sauna at night. The hotel is fairly small and we sat at the pool everyday where it felt as though we had our own private villa! There were no more than 20 people there at one point, we always found a bed.

From the main center the Golf Beach was around a 15min walk but there were plenty places to eat and drink closer if thats what you wanted. The beach is 5 mins away. It was very clean and lovely to relax on.

The staff can not be faulted; I take my hat off to them. They do about 3 jobs when they are on their shifts!! Peter was extremely helpful! We asked him twice to suggest somewhere to eat, both in Santa Ponsa and Palma, and he was spot on each time. (If you are looking for a curry, Khan's, a 30 min walk away is brilliant. 27 euros for a set menu for two. Can't go wrong!)

Overall we had an amazing holiday. Santa Ponsa is lovely and so is the Golf Beach. Thank you very much for having us and I am sure we will be back again.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Hollie E
Reviewed 24 August 2012

I stayed at the Golf Beach last year and have just read the the recent negative reviews sent by a particular group. I feel I have to support the hotel management and staff for running a top class and very friendly establishment. It's quite obvious to me where the issue is here and it's not with the hotel team.

Well done boys! I'll certainly be back to support you in the not too distant future (don't let the buggers get you down!).

John (& Gerard).

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with friends
3  Thank BlackburnRovers
Reviewed 23 August 2012

I was just pricing this hotel as I have booked flights and was reading the Trip Advisor reviews. I stayed here about 3 years ago with my husband when Globespan were on the go and kind of know where the people are coming from. During our stay, unfortunately there were about 5 men who were from Scotland (embarrasing!) and they were a bit of a nuisance; pretty drunk and chapping doors at night; but Peter and Tony dealt with the situation very well. I found Peter to be a very charming man; its a small hotel and a little sun trap at the back where the pool is. We met so many great people there but did experience some problems later at night; I think the main problem is the block of flats right next to the hotel; they are residential and when the hotel guests sit out in the terrace then the noise echos. Its the no-smoking in the hotel rule; meaning although you can sit in and have a drink, you cannot go outside; we experienced this; we were sitting outside with two irish sisters and some other guests smoking and laughing and the night watchman was edgy and said he was calling the police. I think it is a problem because of where the hotel is located, its not really in a built up hotel area. I dont know if this was the same night person, he always wore the same white trousers and slept on the couches in the lounge, but apart from that, we had a good experience here so much so that I was looking to go again but unfortunately, its fully booked for when I want to go. It did state when I booked that it was a 24 hour bar!!!! quite a lot of people decided to go and socialise on their balconies and that didnt go down well either!! I would never say Peter was rude, I thought he was a gentleman dont know if they have changed the watchman but I wouldnt fancy that job, so I say you need to have a bit of respect for everyone concerned; I still would go back and stay there as it is very reasonably priced; shame its not No. 1 anymore though.

Room Tip: Dont think you actually get a choice but rooms at the back ar quieter and try and avoid near the sta...
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Sunprincessanne
Reviewed 21 August 2012

Just back from the Golf Beach we stayed 11th August to 18th August with my 15 year old daughter. I have read the other reviews and do disagree with some. This lovely little hotel is great value for money it is very very clean and as the temperature was very high, yes the rooms were very hot, we hired a turbo fan €18 for the week which helped, but I do agree air con would help although it would not put me off going back, (I would pay the extra if they had it) but it was still good. The staff are friendly although when busy Tony gets a little tense, Peter is so chilled I don't think an earthquake would stress him, the hotel food is basic but lovely and hot so if you want to stay by the pool all day then you can, the pool was always very clean and no rush for beds as I think everyone else goes to the beach. This is on a busy road but can't say I really noticed the noise too much. I loved the fact that 5 minutes away is the night life but if you want it less noisy you can just stay at the hotel. So all in all you get more than you paid for. I did my homework on reviews before I went and was prepared but I still think it was better than the reviews said. So go on try it and see what you think. i hope to return but as a single parent I don't know when that will be but it was the price and reviews that made me choose this hotel and I was not disappointed. The only little thing that was a let down was the continental breakfast I expected croissants and meats and cheeses along with the cereal's and toast and buns so yes this could be improved but it is only a small part of your stay and didn't make that much of a difference to the overall experience.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Dorothy A
Reviewed 19 August 2012

Cannot believe in this day and age a hotel in Spain without air conditioning! I'm telling you the rooms were soooo hot it was impossible to sleep. They tell you to put the fan on. A joke as the fan does absolutely nothing! Also I need to comment on the staff. The 2 older guys work their socks off and do a good job. They are nice and friendly and want to help where they can, BUT the younger guy is obnoxious. He is very rude and has a few select people he chooses to be nice to and for everyone else he makes their holiday a misery. BAD attitude! Rooms although hot are clean. The location of this hotel is not very good as it is on a main road and it is very noisy from early on in the morning till late at night. Would not go again.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank helen t
ManagerSantaPonsa, Propietario at Hotel Golf Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 20 August 2012

Dear Customer,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at our hotel with us. We know we are going to receive a few reviews like your one from the same gorup of customers accommodated during the same week. We are sorry to hear that your stay with us did not meet your expectations, but we think we must reply your review about some missing information about your behaviour and attitude inside our establishment during your stay. First of all we have to say it´s true we had a very hot August in Mallorca and like happen in some 1 and 2 stars hotels we don´t have air conditioning, if you wish it you can rent a portable one with some of our suppliers, and we have had two big heat waves during your stay. Anyway, it´s showed at the moment of your booking (ceiling fan in room, not air conditioning) So, at your arrival you know you don´t have it if you don´t rent it.
In the other hand we not agree with your opinion about one of our employees and we have to inform you that during last weeks we have had some problems with the racist behaviour of some customers against our night porter, a young boy from Ecuador, who has tried to give you an smile every night and he had received complains from a total of seven rooms. In fact It was very disgusting see how those customers from this 7 rooms spent their holidays against this boy and they had a meeting in our bar area during one hour just arranging how to make a damage to our property through Tripadvisor.com. In 21 years of experience we haven´t had a week like one I´m speaking to. The secret of a good job in an hotel is not just a thing coming from the hotel, the best thing we have is the mix between our customers and our employees, those lovely customers is what makes us to be one of the best rated hotels in the island. That mix has been broken during the week I´m speaking to due both parts, due the behaviour of those customers and our employees defending from those behaviours. But, from reports like yours and from others you can find below from the customers accommodated in the seven rooms I mentioned above (titled as 1.-Bad Staff or 2.- Caroline, eire, staff). We think it´s time to defend ourselves from those words against one of our employees, and time that customers feel and understand that they have to have an obligation to follow a minimum common sense good behaviour during their holidays. also, maybe it´s time that an hotel could defend from some customers giving to them an score like you are able to do with hotels. Because you can be sure we consider we have a lovely customers in 99% of days but sometimes the customer can give you a lot of problems from the first second of their stay due their behaviour. We are not surprised to see your report in Tripadvisor.com because we know we are going to receive a few ones more like yours after the meeting you had and I mentioned above.
All problems during that week came always from the same: breakfast times, you have this information inside your room on the main entrance door, you have inside the lift, you have on the board in reception and inside the breakfast lounge where is clearly said from 07:30 to 09:30, as happen in all restaurants in the world, if the restaurant is closing kitchen, that means it is finishing at one time, that means you don´t get more food from that time (in this case from 09:30 AM). About the bar´s terrace from 00:00 AM, of course, under law all terraces must be closed at 00:00 AM due the noise and the importance of the rest of our customers and the neighbour buildings, so our Night Porter made you come inside the bar area and he wasn´t going to serve you..
Due all this missing information in your report I publicate this reply, because We are not going to accept you do any damage to our reputation as an hotel and to our employees.
Employees are rude , well, sometimes we make mistakes, but you can be sure we try to improve every day in a good customer care way and so many times we improve our job following our customers recomendations.

Regards,