“Good if you pay the right price”

Plazamar Serenity Resort
Ranked #14 of 35 Hotels in Santa Ponsa
Reviewed 20 October 2012

We stayed at the Plazamar apartments for a week from the 11th Oct. Booking with Lowcost holidays we got a good deal including transfers and airport parking.
Arriving late at the hotel we were met by a very friendly male receptionist who sorted out our rooms, then advised us to go over the road to the Jutlandia hotel where we could enjoy all the facilities there and where there was a halloween party going on.
The room was spacious clean with toaster and kettle, next morning a nice view of the pool area greeted us. Sleeping well I would judge the beds comfortable enough.
Booking all inclusive I was surprised to find a beer pump, wine taps water cooler, and an array of fizzy soft drinks dispensers all facing the audience in the snack bar, this was a welcome change for me, I've never had the privilege of being able to get my own drinks before, there were also glass pint pots if you wanted to sit away from the pool area. Full marks so far.
The food on offer was typical three star fare, chips every day, at least one different meat, salads, fish most days, pasta others. The sweets were nice, with four flavours of ice cream and toppings available.
Our only issue with the restaurant and the whole holiday really, was the eating area itself. It's not really a restaurant, it's a covered patio with see-thru plastic roller blinds. During the hit and miss weather we experienced (no fault of the hotel :-)), we found it to be draughty and cold. There were some outdoor space heaters there but they were never used, I wouldn't have thought they were suitable for use for an enclosed area either.
having said that it didn't put us off eating there.
The pool area was nice, but be aware there are quite a few steps to get there, there is a sloped access, around the side of the hotel, ideal for taking your luggage around too.
As said earlier you have use of the facilities in the Jutlandia hotel across the road. This hotel is a step up from the Plazamar, with a lovely pool and gardens, loads of sunbeds too. The all inclusive package is available here with snacks all day, and bar, you have to queue here though for service, and the bar staff are very busy, they deal with this by being a bit abrupt with guests, the exception being Dawn who was lovely.
Adele the entertainments lady was good too, her witty asides made us laugh.
I would recommend this hotel, if you can get a good deal. Maybe not in October when the weather we had made it a bit cool to eat outside.

Room Tip: Try to get a room on the reception side, the other side of the hotels balconies are in the shade all...
2  Thank Derek W

Reviewed 18 October 2012

Stayed here self catering for 2 weeks 28th Sept to 13th Oct 2012. We're a mature couple. Apartment was clean and obviously had a coat of paint at the beginning of this season. We were on the top floor which afforded a lovely panoramic view. Shona (scots lady) on reception when we arrived was friendly and efficient. Felt ripped off at 18Euro per week charge for safe. They know you have to use it so are taking advantage! Getting the cleaners into the routine of changing towels/bed linnen was a challenge for the first week but we eventually got there. Whilst the bathroom sink was wiped down and the beds made, no other cleaning was done. I had to sweep the apartment when we arrived and it wasn't done by cleaners again. It was never mopped, either before we arrived or during our stay. We couldn't get the air con to work but this wasn't a real problem at this time of year so we didn't raise it as an issue. Pool area is nice but there wouldn't be enough room for everyone in high season. Usual annoyance of people putting towels on sunbeds at 7am and leaving them there all day.

We went in School Term Time as I particularly dislike children. I had one 20 years ago and quit whilst I was ahead. If you're going to take your children out of school and away when people like me have done our best to avoid them, at least have them disciplined enough not to have me being restrained from holding them at the bottom of the deep end of the pool. There was a single parent with 3 screaming brats. All boys. Everyone at the hotel knew their names as they were continually screaming at each other. If you're reading this Mum.........go get some parenting classes. You know who you are.

Santa Ponsa is a nice resort and the hotel is a gentle short walk from the centre. Look where you're walking though and stay off the verge/islands. They DON'T clean up after their dogs! There's a Karaoke Queen called Candice being paid to sing (badly) at Strings Bar. This spoilt evenings at Traceys Bar a few doors away. Oktoberfest was on whilst we were there. It's still very English orientated. Peguera up the coast is ALL German though worth a visit on the bus at a couple of Euros each way. Palma was also worth a look at but get the 102 bus as the wrong one takes hours going to every corner on the way. Didn't rate the Wednesday Market at Andratx. The one at Santanyi on the other side of the island is far superior although only if you have a car from this distance. Try a walk down the right side of the bay (past where the trip-boats pick up) and take some bread to feed the fish. It's great to watch. My guy took underwater picks whilst snorkelling as I threw bread in! The sea was 'boiling' with fish.

Overall, we had a good holiday. We'd visit again but only for a week as we've done everything we could in the area.

Room Tip: We were in 1306 on the top floor. Good views and less noise transfer from screaming brats round the...
2  Thank Stylishowl
Reviewed 15 October 2012

My wife and I have just returned from the Plazamar and was at first very concerned when reading the negative reviews. We were very surprised how good it was. We went all inclusive. It was very clean in our room and on site of the hotel. The food was good with a different selection each day, although the same sort of food. Chips were always on offer but they went down very well with everyone. The chef was constantly filling up the food trays so it always looked like there was plenty to go round. The drinks were free and we did not go out to any other place to drink. Beer was good. Wine was not the best but it was free and to drink with a meal it was OK. Overall I can not fault our holiday or this hotel, we ate here more than we thought we would just because it was good food, so why pay to go anywhere else. We would go back again no problem. There are better hotels out there and better food, but not for what we paid. Thank you Plazamar.

Room Tip: We had room 203 which was on 2nd floor and was nice.
Reviewed 14 October 2012

one week stay with my girlfriend and first time in santa ponsa : the beach and the near attractions (restaurants and night terraces) was nice and good for relaxing but the hotel and room was more like punishment and we could not harry up enough to go outside the hotel.we use the room for sleeping and for washing only because it is very old and the young crazy group of young boys and girls coming back intruppted our sleep everinight with moving everithings in the room.hotel is out of control and old.

Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
7  Thank torinocouple
Reviewed 10 October 2012

We had a fab week here - does everything it says on the tin!! Anyone expecting more for what you pay to stay AI and in apartment need a reality check!! We have stayed in 4 & 5 star hotels and never been given free run of beer, wine and soft drinks (yes you literally help yourself from 10:00am to 11:00 pm.) Rachel on reception is so helpful and we found the rest of the staff equally obliging its surprising how far a 'gracias' will go! The Irish girl that did the quizzes was sooo funny :-). We requested a room on a high floor with a pool view and that it what we got and it was fine. I think it probably would be too busy for us 'high season' as it attracts families with children and they can be quite annoying (especially when yours are grown up and left home!!!). My only advice would be to get a taxi from the airport - its only 20 mins but we had booked a shuttle transfer and it took 2 and a half hours, via every apartment and hotel in Magaluf and Palmanova!!

Room Tip: Pool view rooms are nice but only get the sun very first thing.
Reviewed 9 October 2012

We stayed all inclusive as we wanted to just relax and not have to go looking for dinner each night. Of the five nights we stayed, we ate out for the last two. We simply couldn't face the terrible food that was on offer. God only knows what people who stay for two weeks would do!

The selection was ok but the quality was incredibly poor and what was supposed to be hot was at best luke warm. The choices didn't vary very much from one meal to the next. The whole point of all inclusive is the food so I feel absolutley let down.

The staff in and around the restaurant were also very poor. I would even go as far as saying rude. I'm not sure what type of people they are used to dealing with but I was certainly not used to dealing with people like them. Everything was a chore for them - including serving a drink! Some training in this area is an absolute must for the hotel.

To be fair, the rest of the hotel was fine. It was clean, spacious and the reception staff were fine. The restaurant and bar really let this place down. I met a Scottish lady who I believe may be the manager next season. If she reads this then I would strongly advise she has a complete overhaul of the catering.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank Macco78
Reviewed 8 October 2012

We stayed here in early October. We were very lucky with the weather as the sun shone every day except one! The apartment was what I expected for a three star European hotel. The decor was a bit dated and the towels were frayed, but I felt the standard was good enough for the money we paid. We enjoyed a balcony with views of the pool and mountains. We were self catering and found the facilities were good enough to do this adequately. There is no oven but there are three electric rings. We cooked things like Thai curry and chilli! In terms of restaurants in town we would recommend Fat Sam's which is a TexMex. The town is about 5 minutes walk away and the beautiful sandy beach 10-15. The town is well suited to couples and families with a good selection of restaurants, shops and bars but not too rowdy! My only complaint was that the walls are quite thin and if you have noisy neighbours this might be a problem. We complained and the staff were very helpful and moved us to another room where we slept much better.

Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple