“Excellent Hotel!”

Ranked #12 of 36 Hotels in Santa Ponsa
Cardiff, United Kingdom
“Excellent Hotel!”
Reviewed 6 February 2012

Stayed for 1 week at the end of August. Allocated an 'apartment' room which was great. Breakfast was a good choice, evening food was also very good. Short walk into town with a little shop opposite the main entrance. Superb holiday, superb hotel!

• Stayed August 2011
5 Thank Welshbelly89

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (96)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
wisbech
Reviewed 22 October 2011

Do not take any notice of the bad comments this hotel is really good value for money. I have never stayed in such a clean hotel and with friendly staff. We had one of the rooms that did not have a balcony and overlooked the road sometimes in the mornings it could be a little noisy within the hotel but not enough to worry about. The food was very good and refreshed constantly. Our beds were very comfortable and we slept well. We shared a table at mealtimes which we enjoyed. The pool area was spotless and we never had trouble getting a sunbed. Hotel is very near the beach. The area is lovely I would recommend hiring a car and travelling around (rosalinds car hire is very good in santa ponsa) there are some beautiful smaller beaches if you can find them. If I go back to Santa Ponsa would definitely go back to this hotel and would strongly recommend it to anyone.

Room Tip: I would imagine top floor rooms are quieter and ask for overlooking the pool to get balcony
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
9 Thank jojowisbech
Glasgow, Scotland, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 October 2011

Myself and my husband have just returned from a week in Santa Ponsa in the Casablanca Hotel. I could not fault this hotel the rooms were cleaned every day with clean towels provided every day. The food was good with a wide variety, wasnt too keen to be sat beside people we didnt know for dinner but was really pleased in the end as we met a lovely couple Barrie and Shirley. The hotel is only a short walk from the beach which is lovely and close to shops and restaraunts and bars. Staff at the hotel were very nice and helpful when you enquired about anything. We will definately be going back next year, Oh and the pool area was spotless too.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Ann D
Worcester, Unitd Kingdom
Reviewed 4 October 2011

I've just come back from my second holiday in this hotel and have to say that overall I think it is a great place. Spotlessly clean and with the nicest staff imaginable.
I was surprised to read that someone had found a front room noisy - mine was overlooking the entrance - just slightly to the side of it - and I found that I could have my sliding window open all night and not hear any noise - and bearing in mind that at home I live in the depths of the country with absolutely no noise or light whatsoever - this was pretty amazing.
The only two things I didn't like were (a) the fact that no soap at all was provided in the (gorgeous) bathroom, not even a tiny little slab, and I was very glad I had brought some with me and (b) the seating arrangements in the dining room, where they tend to lump people together. That said, when they found I didn't really want to sit with anyone, the waitresses were absolutely marvellous at seating me at an empty table for every meal - breakfasts and dinners - many thanks for their efficiency.
When I mentioned that the shower was placed too high for me to reach, the cleaners were immediately told not to hang it up - wonderful, and, still with the shower, when I found it didn't work on my first day, the next day it was fixed! Again - many thanks.
The only other point slightly against the hotel was that because there is so much going on in the town (specially during my first week there, when there was the annual fiesta), that they don't have much in the hotel itself in the evening, so for singles like myself (and admittedly there aren't many) who don't like going out into town on their own, it was a bit quiet in the evening.
All in all, I would definitely recommend this hotel, specially for people who like going out in the evening.
Another plus point - air con was included in the price.
I would certainly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled solo
11 Thank tinajaray
Cleethorpes, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 August 2011

Hotel Casablanca, Santa Ponsa, Majorca. July 2011.
Recommended and booked by Fairs-Lloyds Travel.

On a plus side the hotel was very clean.

On the minus side, beware the you get allocated one of the rooms at the front of the hotel, i.e. we were allocated a dark, claustrophobic room approx 3.6m. x 2.8m., with no balcony, only a single sliding glazed section allowing us to look out and allow some air in. We were given no option to change rooms, despite guests continually arriving and departing.
It overlooked the main street, with what appeared to be an auto commercial premises opposite (refer photo). Traffic was continuous, dusty and noisy, including coaches and taxis at all times, refuse lorries during the early hours, both noisy locals and holidaymakers at all hours; having open public phones immediately outside didn't help, neither did the slamming doors in the hotel. We didn't get one decent night's sleep during our 11 night stay.
The food was basic and repetetive. e.g. Breakfast included scrambled egg out of a container whilst dinner heavily featured brussel sprouts, prepared simply cooked, cooked in ratatouille or in batter, to name but a few.
If you are not one to abide by hotel policies around the swimming pool you will be at home at this hotel since few adhered to them nor were they enforced while we were there.

I strongly suggest that if you do intend booking via Fairs-Lloyds and are offered this hotel you ensure you know what accommodation is included in your booking, especially when it comes to your room, there are some lovely rooms at the rear of the hotel overlooking the pool, complete with balcony. I recommend you certainly do not risk being allocated a room at the front. Re the food I can only leave you to your opinion!!

By the way, be prepared for plenty of steps.

Enjoy if you can??
D & B

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
4 Thank brian w
Peterborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 August 2011

Firstly the hotel is lovely and clean which is a must for me. We had a great time here and spent alot of time at the pool side. The pools/area are a good standard and clean. The pool bar is rather expensive. There is a need for more umbrellas/shade especially in heat of 30 degrees +. There are alot of steps to the pool in the region of 50 and for the unfit quite a task.
Breakfast was great with alot of choice, however Evening meal was not so good. Plenty of salad and decent desserts but for the fussy eater (me) not alot apart from chips and that is what I had most nights with bread, which in the evening was rather dry. The staff were cheerful and helpful although sometimes cleared plates away as you were finishing the last mouthful!
The rooms are kept very clean. If you are unlucky enough to get one of the few rooms without a balcony (as we did despite requesting one) it does prove to be a disappointment. We did ask to be moved to a room with a view/balcony but were advised that 'this was not possible'. We were not totally convinced of this as at least one room on the same floor as the rest of our party appeared unoccupied. Our only view was a tree! The air con was pretty effective. In the hotel all floors were served with a lift.
There is not a fridge in the rooms but one can be provided for €40 which is rather expensive for the old battered fridge supplied. Safety deposit boxes are available but at the price of €13 and €3 deposit. These are situated at the bottom of the stairs near the reception and are very small.
Santa Ponsa is a nice area. It has a lovely beach where Parrots nest in the trees behind and small fish can be fed with bread at the edge of the water. There are plenty of gift shops and cafe/resturants. A good tip for those wanting to buy tobacco is to buy in GBP as some of the tobacco shops give a very good exchange rate better than the banks. (The tobacco shop to the right of the main roundabout facing the beach). The Square gives good entertainment at night but is a good trek from the hotel. We found the best Supermarket was called Eroski (I think) and is right at the main roundabout and about 200 metres on the left.
All in all a very good holiday with a few things that could have been better.

Room Tip: Be certain your booking agent has requested a room with balcony
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank HJS-2011-08
Bishop Auckland, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 August 2011

The hotel is in a good quite location only minutes away from bars and restaurants. The foyer area is very smart and clean. The pool area is very large with 2 decent swimming pools. There are plenty of sunbeds and no problem getting one during the day. There is a poolside bar selling the usual eg pints, slushes, burgers and fries. A pint was 3 euros 20 cents and a slush 2 euro's. A lolly was 2 euros. Outside the hotel and over the road to the left there was a supermarket but this wasn't must cheaper. I used the spar shop approx 200 yards to the right where the same lolly was half of the price. We had an apartment which had a fridge and sink and a decent balcony. It had air conditioning but it wasn;t very good. It only blew a weak cold draught. The food was only average. Breakfast was ok. The coffee was good but the evening meal was only average. Evening meal finished at 9pm but I wouldn't leave it later than 8.30pm because if the food ran out after that time then it wasn't replaced. There are alot of steps to go from the pool area up to reception- over 50 and no lifts. It was difficult for parents with buggies. Overall this is still a nice clean hotel, in a good quite location with very good pools.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family