“Faro is fair but not the best - which is a pity!”

MUR Hotel Faro Jandia & Spa
Ranked #3 of 16 Hotels in Morro del Jable
Reviewed 8 April 2014

My wife & I returned from 2 weeks A/I at this hotel last weekend. We booked & travelled with Thomas Cook from Manchester. The flights were uneventful and both arrived slightly early, however Thomas Cook representation at The Faro, Jandia was non-existant which did not cause us any problems, but certainly worried other UK holidaymakers staying at the hotel. Our only experience of an actual Thomas Cook representative was on the coach from the airport to Jandai upon arrival - she did not inspire any confidence at all as it was obvious that she had no idea as to how to speak Spanish or on the pronunciation of what I would consider key Spanish phrases, for instance she wanted the list of passengers on our coach and failed to explain what she wanted to the driver. Luckily I was able to explain what she wanted quietly to the driver who rolled his eyes without saying a word! She did not pursue any further contact right to the point where we were deposited at the Faro Hotel.
I had contacted the hotel some 4/5 months earlier by email to request a 6th Floor sea facing superior room, and making it clear in Spanish that I would be happy to pay the extra by cash upon registration. I had also had a productive email conversation with Laura of Mur Hotels so we were both confident that my request would be honoured as requested. I could not have been more wrong, we were allocated Room 240 overlooking a lot of trees and the children's play area! This was not what I had expected and neither was the negative response from the Reception staff. I believe that both myself & Laura were badly misled by the Reception staff as I think that 4/5 months notice is more than adequate to schedule accordingly in a well run hotel. This is a hotel that caters for, and is almost totally geared to our German cousins who I suspect get more and pay less for their stays.
On to my opinion of the 2 weeks holiday at The Faro -
the overall staff are absolutely wonderful never failing to smile, say "buen dia" or ask how you are enjoying things. They really are among the best Hotel staff I have encountered in visiting almost 80 countries and countless hotels. More importantly they easily are the best staff we have found in any of the 8 hotels we have stayed in around Jandia.
The hotel itself is a clever design that fulfilled all my expectations, it was airy, roomy and never seemed too full to cause us problems. The eating arrangements are a bit schoolish in that you are allocated a table at the beginning for your evening meal, and you keep that for the duration. At other meals you have freedom of choice on where to sit etc. The breakfasts are what you make them so you can have as much or as little of the whole range of cold/fried/fresh/toasted food. The coffee could be improved though!
Lunch is the best meal of the lot, you just go across, request a table outside (in the shade or not), you are then served whatever drinks you require and asked if you would like to avail yourself of the lunch buffet OR of the small but comprehensive menu. The menu is fabulous with limited but excellent choice and the food is then cooked freshly for you before being served with a flourish. If you go to the Faro on Half-board I would suggest the you had breakfast and lunch and went to eat out in Jandia.
Dinner could be excellent, but is spoiled by the lack of any sort of hot plate facility at the carvery section of the dining hall. Imaging getting your veg and then having to queue (not a concept that some of our German cousins are familiar with) to get your Fish, Pork, Beef etc etc. There is a lack of co-ordination there which certainly influenced my preference for lunch. Don't get me wrong however as the quality of the food is excellent at all points.
The bedrooms are not exceptional but they are comfortable and are kept immaculate by the staff, the view from ours was awful and we got no sun, but I am certain that the Superior sea view rooms are excellent in all ways.
The Spa facility is very good, but was not particularly well used while we were there. We used the indoor pool, the sauna, jacuzzi and some of the massage facilities.
The early acquisition of sunbeds is a factor, but is never really a problem as you can usually find a pair when required. However they do have a problem with people reserving beds early in the morning and then not turning up until 15.00pm/16.00pm - and this was every day (the guilty ones were not always German either!)
One area that I have so far avoided mentioning is the evening entertainment which is enthusiastically strange if "performed" by the animacion team who are German, Cuban, Italian and Portuguese. Have a few drinks at the bar or in the theatre and I guarantee that you will have a pleasant evening's entertainment even if it involves a little known operetta about Dracula (mimed totally in German!!!). If the evening entertainment involves the performance of professionals then you will have a great night - I would particularly recommend the Jazz evening.
I had looked forward to staying at The Faro for quite some time, and other than the poor treatment by the Reception facility it did not disappoint! This is a good hotel, but it could be a super hotel if the Management took a little more interest in the breakdown of their guest population, and just acknowledged that all their guests are not German.
Overall I would recommend The Faro Hotel in Jandia, but don't trust anything you are told by reception prior to your stay.

Room Tip: Ask for a 6th Floor Superior sea view room but don't hold your breath!
1  Thank ukdavef
Laura I, CM at MUR Hotel Faro Jandia & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 28 April 2014

Thank you so much for leaving your review,
I´m sorry for some of the points you have mention and if the stay was not what you were expecting.

Regarding the your room request, I don´t remember exactly what have happened, if you want we can talk in private about it.

I hope you have had a good stay and you could enjoy the time with us.

Thank you again beacuse with reviews like yours we can improve our services.

I´m looking forward your answer:)

My email: laura@grupomur.com

Thank you.

Reviewed 1 April 2014

We stayed in room 521 a Superior Sea View Room which was amazing.Large sparklingly clean room and bathroom with a superb balcony overlooking the pool,lighthouse and sea.
The staff were without exception the most friendly and obliging we have met in hotels throughout the world.
For a wonderful quiet and very relaxing break this hotel would be hard to beat.Amazing.
Thank you.

Room Tip: Superior Sea View rather more expensive but worth every penny
3  Thank rosebank29
Laura I, CM at MUR Hotel Faro Jandia & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 2 April 2014

Thank you so much for your lovely review.

I´m happy reading that you have enjoyed your holidays a lot:)
Our aim is to make the most of your time with us.

If you need anything, please don´t hesitate to contact me whenever you need: laura@grupomur.com

Reviewed 29 March 2014 via mobile

This is a nice hotel. There is nothing fancy about the rooms but they are adequate and quite clean. However two criticisms - the pillows are terrible. I slept terribly all week. Also we did get a few cockroaches in our room. If I could go back and do it again I would book a sea view room. We had a pool view room on the ground floor and I wished I'd just paid a bit extra. The patio was permanently in the shade, we got a few cockroaches, and at night time there was a lot of noise from the bar across the pool from us. So you couldn't sleep until the music had stopped. However I guess that's a lesson for next time.

The location of the hotel is great. The beach is lovely. The surrounding area and shops are really nice. The pool area at the hotel is great and if, like us, this is where you spend most of your day, then the pool area outweighs the few let downs with the room.

The buffet breakfast was nice. The cold selection was excellent. However the scrambled egg was the worst I have ever seen! Not cooked. Just stringy uncooked egg!

All in all for a relaxing week by the pool, it's ideal and I would come back. But next time I will pay more for a better room.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Melissa2311
Laura I, CM at MUR Hotel Faro Jandia & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 31 March 2014

Thank you so much for your nice review.

Regarding the criticisms, thank you, for us is the most important thing, when you share with us how you stay was and what would you change.
I will spread the word with your 2 important points:)

Thank you again and we look forward to meeting you soon again.
I leave my email in case you need anything: laura@grupomur.com

Reviewed 23 March 2014

We have been staying at the Faro Jandia on a regular basis over the last few years. This hotel is an oasis with just a short walk to the beautiful beach. The staff are friendly and professional and nothing is to much trouble. The food is of high quality, freshly prepared and plentiful. The rooms are spacious and cleaned very day. There is entertainment every evening, provided by the In house entertainment team, this is so so. The hotel used to be marketed by holiday companies as a adult only hotel , but this is no longer the case with the hotel promoting its self as a family hotel for families which can afford to the cost to stay.

A perfect hotel to unwind, relax, enjoy good food with access to the wonderful beach.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Laura I, CM at MUR Hotel Faro Jandia & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 27 March 2014

Thank you so much for you review.

As a repeating client I really appreciate your comment.
Our hotel has been marketed as a family hotel since the beginning, is true the hotel is calmy and you can´t feel the childs so yes, we are a family hotel:)

Find below my email, pleasse, if you need anything, don´t hesitate to contact me anytime: laura@grupomur.com

Thank you again.

Reviewed 21 March 2014

Our previous holiday with Thomson's at Riu Aruba had been an experience to forget, so we were getting concerned when it took 45 minutes (more for some) to check-in to the hotel Faro Jandia; this time was probably longer than all the check-ins that we have made over the years put together!
However, after this, we had absolutely no complaints.
The staff were excellent, rivalling the best that we have experienced in the Caribbean.
The lunch time buffet was the best ever.
The drinks range was extensive, available and generous.
Above all, it was quiet. It was clean and tidy. There was no battle for sun loungers.
The hotel is well designed to shield from wind and noise, and everything is near to hand.
[We did not visit the Spa, although others liked it.]
Further afield, the island is interesting, more so than Aruba, which was another six hours flying away from UK. The roads are excellent and, I know that the climate is more forgiving than the UK, but I did not see a single pothole!
We will be returning - and it is the first time that we have ever said that!

3  Thank Gavin R
Laura I, CM at MUR Hotel Faro Jandia & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 24 March 2014

Thank you so much for your lovely review.

And sorry for the delay with the check in. I know the day that it happened and I must apologize you and all our guest who arrived this day. The check in was a bit caos.

But thank you so much for your review, For us is really important to know how your stay was to improve our services. Good things and bad things this is the way.

We look forward to having you here soon again:)

Reviewed 18 March 2014

Our room was spacious clean and comfortable and had a good hot shower. Unfortunately there was a huge palm tree blocking our view of the pool (room 234) but we still got the sun.
The food was very good and varied. You are allocated the same time & table for your evening meal for the duration of your stay. We had to wait until 8pm so I was usually starving by then. The clearing away of plates was done very discreetly unlike some places in which we have stayed and you never got the impression that you were getting leftovers, everything seemed very fresh. No need to dress up too much for dinner at this time of the year so travel light. Trousers and a nice top (ladies) seem to be the way.
Breakfast was a leisurely affair served from 8 -11am and it was especially nice to be able to sit outside on the terrace for as long as you wished. If you need breakfast before 8am you can just turn up and will be able to get most things as they are being put out.
The pool was lovely and heated to 20 degrees, not bad for that time of year. The hotel is geared to German holiday makers but there were some English speaking guests. Smoking around the pool and on the terrace is a pain but we British have to put up with it until the rest of the world wises up I suppose
We didn't bother with the evening entertainment but could see and hear that it was as you'd expect - tribute singers, dancers etc.
It was our first trip to Fuerteventura. The weather at this time of the year in the south of the island seems to be better and this rang true when we heard many grumbles at the airport from folk who had had poor weather in the north and central regions. We had hot sunny days, a few cloudy starts and evenings are chilly so do take autumn as well as summer weight clothes in Feb/March. The beaches are gorgeous but expect to see lots of nudists (they don't stay behind wind-shields) but hey guess the south is best for them.
One word of advice on transfers from the airport. It took 2 hours to get to Jandia including all the drop offs. We were on a large coach that had to visit lots of hotels dropping off guests. We were the last to be dropped off and first to be collected going home which made it a very long day. With hindsight we would maybe hire a car and get there direct or choose a different operator than Resorthopper. On arrival to the Island we had to wait for up to 2 hours outside at the bus stop for people coming off other flights. If things had been better co-ordinated we could have sat inside and perhaps had a coffee or something but there was no one advising us. Eventually the coach arrived and to our amazement it turned out to be the one we had all been staring at parked across from us - we could at least have been sitting in it! Very annoying! So that was for some of us another 4 hours added on to our travelling day when we arrived. It may be better in peak season but really this got things off to a bad start.
Anyway all things considered I can't fault this hotel. We chose it thanks to Tripadvisor and had a lovely restful holiday. Do go you won't regret it!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank MELTED_10

Thank you so much for your lovely review:)

I´m happy reading that you have enjoyed the weather and your stay on Fuerteventura.

Regarding the transfer, now it,s too late but we do offer private transfer and it is definitely more confortable and if you make your booking through us 10 nights or more you get the private transfer for free:)

I leave my email in case you need anything, please you can contact me anytime: laura@grupomur.com

Reviewed 13 March 2014

Relatively last minute week at the beginning of March. Way better than expected, suite was a bonus with privacy and hot tub. Food very good, staff so helpful and kind, well located-a real chill out treat.

Room Tip: suite is a luxurious must!
1  Thank Donkeede
Laura I, CM at MUR Hotel Faro Jandia & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 14 March 2014

Thank you so much for leaving your review.

I´m happy reading that you have enjoyed your time with us:)

I look forward to having you here again.
If you need anything, please don´t hesitate to contact me anytime by email: laura@grupomur.com

Also consider these accommodations in or near Morro del Jable
Sol Jandia Mar Apartamentos
Sol Jandia Mar Apartamentos
#5 of 16 in Morro del Jable
Melia Gorriones Fuerteventura

Been to MUR Hotel Faro Jandia & Spa? Share your experiences!