So I've just come back from Gran Canaria on a relaxing break and here is my thoughts on the Melia! First of all there are a number of people who have reviewed saying that it shouldn't be a five star and I agree with them. However, I think you need to compare the hotel with hotels around it and then you can see the difference. After spending the day in the rather tacky Maspalomas, it was nice retreat to go back to the Melia.
The breakfast is a buffet that was ok and there was quite a bit of choice, but not exactly the best I've had. The same goes for the dinner. Good food, but not amazing. However the price probably is justified.
The drinks in the hotel are over priced and if you order a pina colada for example, its not even mixed in front of you and is the shop bought pre made stuff, but yet they charged the earth for it. These made a large dent in my hotel bill, but I was on holiday so..!
The rooms are pleasant and some have a balcony although mine didn't. They were clean and the maids did a good job tidying up etc. There is a mini bar, but didn't notice any tea/coffee facilities, however I didn't look in the mini bar so they could have been in that.
Now to the staff. Some of
the staff treated me nicely especially a young waiter at breakfast who made an effort. However, there were a number who felt like they ignored me and one even insulted me at breakfast because I got up to go get some more food (seeing as its a buffet) and I came back and the waiter was cleaning my table and looked at me, made hand gestures and muttered something whilst staring at me as if I was stupid. I felt very unconfortable.
I couldn't help feeling like I was treated different by the staff due to my age (22) and all the other guests were older. I always left a tip though where other guests didn't and tried to be courteous myself.
Also, make sure you check your bill at checkout as they tried to over charge me and double charge me on a few things.
Overall, what you pay for the room and breakfast each night is good value. The location is good next to the beach and a nice pool area. Even though I felt a tad unwelcome at times, I would still recommend this hotel.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- This property is 1 minute walk from the beach. Set in large gardens, the Meliá Tamarindos overlooks Gran Canaria's San Agustín beach. It offers a spa, fitness centre, 2 outdoor pools and has its own observatory. The air-conditioned rooms feature a pillow menu, satellite TV and plenty of natural light. They also have free Wifi. Hotel Meliá Tamarindos has 2 outdoor hot tubs, and the spa offers a sauna and massage services. There are also tennis and squash courts on site. Meliá Tamarindos' restaurants offer buffet dishes prepared in the show kitchen, including Chinese and Italian dishes. The bars serve snacks and drinks throughout the day. The Level services are available in some rooms, and include a private lounge with free snacks, cafeteria services, private solarium for adults, Nespresso machine in the rooms, and 30-minute daily access to the spa. The hotel is 500 m from a shopping centre and 3 km from Playa del Inglés. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, LoveHolidays, TravelUp, Priceline, Hotels.com, Odigeo, Booking.com, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly and Cancelon so you can book your Melia Tamarindos reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Melia Tamarindos Hotel San Agustin
- Melia San Agustin
- Melia Hotel Tamarindos
- Melia Tamarindos Gran Canaria/San Agustin