“Excellent budget apartments close to beach”

and 1 more site!
Apartamentos El Palmar
Ranked #53 of 134 Hotels in Playa del Ingles
Reviewed 4 May 2014

El Palmar are excellent budget apartments, in a lovely quiet spot, 2 mins walk to prom, turn left at the gates, take the first turning on left, takes you to the prom, about 5 minutes walk to the start of sand dunes, 5 minutes from Yumbo, 10 minutes Kasbah, 15 minutes Irish centre, 15 mins grand chaparal,
The apartments are set in lovely Gardens, you have a lovely view of the Sea from the bedroom windows, the big tall palm trees at the back were cut down during our stay, making an even better view, shame they went built with the balconies facing the Sea, but you can;t have everything, for the money we paid these apartments are brilliant, yes they are a bit dated, but you don't go on holiday to sit in your room, and if they were modenised you would be paying a lot more for them, they are very clean spacious, loads of space for all your clothes, We arrived about 9.30 at night, reception is open 9-1 qnd 4-8 outside these hours there is a number to call which is by the gate, we had stated our arrival time on our booking, luckily someone came out of gate as we arrived, so we went through gate i could see someone cleaning the pool, and he came and checked us in we were in room 418 fourth stairway along and on the fourth/top floor, since returning home i have looked at several dates to book these apartments and they are fully booked, so if they are available on your dates, i would say go for it you will not be dissappointed,
The maids clean each day Monday to Friday no cleaning on weekends, they do a brilliant job, as there are no lifts to the apartments they have to carry everything up and down stairs, bare this in mind if you are elderly/disabled maybe you would need to ask for a ground floor, the guy who booked us in carried our suitcase up for us, we carried hand luggage, but we carried it all down on day of departure, as we were leaving on a Saturday, we went to ask before carrying our stuff down the stairs, if they had a luggage room, and how would we get back in to complex to collect our luggage for departure, the receptionist said mean as it was Saturday and rooms would not be cleaned we could keep our room until departure, which was 6.30pm, This was brilliant as meant we could go to the beach as usual, come back have a shower get changed go for a meal, then collect cases and check out.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank ferretWrexham
There are newer reviews for Apartamentos El Palmar

Reviewed 1 April 2014

This was the second time we have stayed at El Palmar in Playa del Ingles, based on our experience three years ago. The apartments are ideally situated within about 150m of the beach and about the same distance from the bars, shops and restaurants in the Yumbo Centre. We had a twin-bedded apartment on the first floor, overlooking the garden area and reception, with a good sized balcony. Everything was there that we needed and the supermarket is only 100m away for stocking up on food and essential supplies. There is a plentiful supply of hot water for washing and showering. Drawback? The reception is closed between 1300-1600 - and we arrived at 1500! Otherwise, a great location and we shall be back.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank davidsouthport
Reviewed 6 March 2014

El Palmar Apartments is conveniently located, the beach is five mins walk to the busy Playa del ingles rather tacky and tired looking array of shops, bars and restaurants. There is still construction work going on around the entrance to the beach, new road surface walk ways and additional flood lit lights. The Yumbo centre is easy accessible within 10mins.
As mention in other reviews don't plan to arrive during siesta 1pm- 4pm as the reception is CLOSED, so if you able to get into the complex you will be waiting around until as in my case a friendly camber maid arrived to give you your keys.
I was able to check in at 4pm, staff member was curt and professional just a reminder that you get charged for the safe and if you want to watch TV there is a charge for the remote.
Like a lot of the accommodation in this part of Playa del ingles it's all looking a bit tired dated and wore out. That said it was clean,comfortable spacious and reasonable quiet.
I was surprised at the lack of hot water come late evening, for washing up and after a late night-early morning exploring the delights of the Yumbo centre, one needs a shower to freshen up before bedtime but no hot water forth coming I was not a happy person. I noted that they have newly fitted solar panels so i assume that they don't have a heated system for my night time ablutions..
Note that towels are changed every three days they are not quite Egyptian cotton a bit thread bead and have seen better days & bed lining once a week, also the Wi Fi is non-existence.
What this accommodation has going for it is it's location, so if you are looking for basic accommodation near local amenities this place is ok.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 19 December 2013

Apartments are spacious, clean and really close to the promenade of Playa del Ingles as well as to the Sandia, Yumbo and Cita centres, bus and taxi stations.
Apartments are fully furnished (fridge, towels, pans, coffee machine, electric plate), except for soaps. In our apt beds were separated.
Unfortunately, it was too windy to enjoy the swimming pool, but we really appreciated the balcony: perfect location for day&night relax.
Very kind people at the reception. Great value.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank defa2004
Reviewed 4 November 2013

My husband and I have booked a one-bedroom apartment with balcony for week but on our arrival the receptionist said that all the apartments were occupied and we could only move into the two-bed apartment next to reception. We decided to see it first. This turned out to be some space in basement which looked like catacombs with insects, spiders and its basement smell.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Olive K
Reviewed 23 September 2013

Also expect to be locked out of the hotel for many hours if you have the bad luck to arrive between 13h - 16h (1pm - 4pm) and to be dumped out with your suitcases by your airport shuttle on the street in the baking hot sun with no way to enter. That is what happened to me on 22 Sept 2013 after a 30 minute drive from the airport. The sign seen through the metal bars of the gate directs to call a number, and I, having no cell phone for Spain as yet, could not call. I waved down several people passing by to try to find someone speaking English or French (I don't speak German or Spanish, the most common languages here). Some nice tourists called the number and were told the gate (the ONLY entrance!!!!, was "for emergencies only"). What was meant is that the number works only at night, if at all.
I was able to enter when some people finally came out. A nice Irish lady explained that the office closes entirely between 13 - 16h. I would just have to wait. She kindly invited me into her place for a cup of tea. Finally, some hours later I encountered the Spanish speaking only receptionist. As luck would have it, the English speaking receptionist was on a special day off. This guy was nice, kind, patient and tried to be helpful, although the communication was very limited. He should have given me the map of the area, the "welcome sheet", and led me to the dining hall of the adjacent hotel where I was to dine, as I took half-board (demi-pension). He should have given me also the WiFi log on. I received none of these.
Instead I received the many keys, and he helped me to carry my heavy bag around the back and up the stairs to the 3rd floor apartment, which was to his merit.
I purchased the half board of breakfast and dinner. These are not served here, as I know have discovered, but at a hotel next door, across a steep metal pathway and winding halls. I was so tired and hot. I took a nap. When I got up and tried to go for dinner the labyrinthine pathways in the dark where so difficult once in the adjacent Sahara Desert Hotel that it took me almost an hour to find the dining, which required me to go across a metal bridge with two gates I had to open with a two different keys, then take the elevator down to the ground floor or floor one, I still do not know which, then to wind around and down some stairs through a dark tiled court yard, then wind around some dark hallways, then go down some more stairs and wind around some more hallways to the dining hall. Nothing was marked on any wall.
As to the apartment, it is shabby and worn, it makes me depressed to be here. When I wandered out to Playa del Ingles I appear to be on the far end of it, opposite the swankier Maspolomas where I stayed 18 years ago. It is full of quite fat working class German tourists. I was too exhausted to drag myself to the free breakfast, slept in, then tried to eat something on the beach. I chose the Munich Cafe III, and had a truly terrible meal. The coffee and the bottled water were, however, excellent. I ordered the special potatoes and sauce of the area and a cheese omelet. The waiter, who gratefully spoke English, did not tell me the omelet came with salad and french fries or obviously I would not have ordered the other potatoes. The omelet was huge and like reconstituted leather, the salad was terrible, the fries were excellent, the potato dish was not very good.
I discussed the experience of my initial arrival with the English speaking receptionist today. Apparently the mis-operation of her hotel is all the fault of the booking agents who sell her rooms. The inadequate reception she was very sorry for, she does not understand how difficult it is to find the dining hall. She simply does not get it. She cannot understand how by simply put a plan into place and posting a note by the gate this entry problem could easily be solved. She cannot understand that travellers do not know what she knows about her place of work, that it needs to be communicated to them and that if the tour companies, who handles thousands of these accomodations, are not dealing with it that they owe their guests to do it for them by putting info on their website and putting notes up with protocols that can actually work. She is not a problem solver at all, so expect this will go on forever.
This place has good prices, a certain shabby charm, but for the money I truly believe it is a bum deal. I booked through X-Helvetic Tours on the LastMinute.ch website (Swiss). I am going to ask to be moved.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank IsaDesOsiers
Reviewed 27 August 2013

Helpful staff, every day cleaned my apartement, good kitchen, good flatscreen TV, good garden, very good pool with jacuzzi, good WIFI, coffee maker, microwawe oven, fridge, free parking, everything is OK, and the last one: cheap price!

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo