“Excellent for a quiet relaxing time”

and 1 more site!
Sunprime Atlantic View
Ranked #8 of 135 Hotels in Playa del Ingles
Southampton
“Excellent for a quiet relaxing time”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 February 2012

We stayed for 3 weeks in August and had a very enjoyable stay.

The rooms are small and it is worth the upgrade to a suite as this gave a small lounge and separate bedroom. A good sized balcony and our room overlooked the small pool at the quieter end of the hotel.

The grounds were small and the hotel compact, but it never felt crowded despite being full. The restaurant was good and had a pleasing range of food each night. Service in the restaurant was good.

Pool and communal areas were kept spotless. Rooms were well cleaned each day.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the small block overlooking the small pool.
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
10 Thank cuttlefish

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (189)
  • Finnish first
  • Slovak first
Slagelse, Denmark
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 February 2012

This is the forth time, me and my wife stay in this hotel. First of all, because it is handicap friendly, second because of the spa and wellness facilities. Overall, the hotel might not be five star, but the apartments are very nice, the cleaning is perfect, and the staff and service is in top. All facilities are working perfect, clean swimmingpools, good spa, lots of sun-beds and no kids - if you like that. The redtaurant has a very good breakfast buffet, with everything, that you could wish, but in general, the a la carte menus are few and quite expencive. The bar is exceptional, and don't forget to try Amperos dry martinis - among the best in the world, although stirred and not shaken!
The guests are mainly nordic, many from Sweden.

Room Tip: There are some rooms in the floor plan suitable for disabled people, and wheel-chair accesible.
9 Thank TheisB
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 February 2012

Fantastic and friendly staff!!!!
The breakfast are to die for, and the hotel stand out from the rest of playa the ingles 80s décor with modern décor and facilities.
No children around the pool make the stay relaxing, and combined with the double showers in the bathrooms the hotel are perfect for a romantic holyday!!!!
The waiter Tony made the stay even better!

12 Thank mozkito
Helsinki, Finland
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 January 2012

We stayed with my husband for 2 weeks at the hotel during January 2012. We were shocked when we saw our room for the first time. We have paid an extra to get a junior suite with a garden view. In reality what we got was extremely small room with a view on a pool area and 2 trees. I was assured at the reception that it was the right room type for what we paid. I am afraid even to think what does a usual room for 2 look like. The balcony has no sun during a day time and it is very cold to stay there. Our room was the last in the section so it bordered with a noisy road. The noise is constant; there is no soundproofing at all. When someone went outside beside our door it sounded like they were actually inside our room. There were not beach towels, bathrobes or slippers when we got the room. So I went to ask a maid that cleaned the rooms on our floor. She didn't understand a word of English so she called reception and I explained the problem to them and they translated my request to her. She apologized in Spanish and brought them. So, if you don't know what should be in the room, you won't get it.

The safe was broken and it was exchanged after 3 days of complaints. After every complaint (we did 3) a man came to repair it. The first one exchanged the batteries and had punched the safe box a couple of times after what with a gestures (he didn't speak English at all, the same as all of the cleaning staff ) he offered to test it and that was it. The safe worked for an hour and then wasn't responding. After third complaint we were asked what are we doing with it?! Nobody asked us if the safe was actually repaired (punching is not repairing). So on the third repairing the safe was exchanged with another one.
The room itself is worn out. Walls are dirty. They have black marks and foot prints (!). The shower is very old. The only product is a generic soap/shampoo. The room's and bathroom's floor is extremely cold. If you want that sheets were exchanged you need to take them off and put them into a basket. The dust was never cleaned during 2 weeks so it was like 1 cm layer. We are just lucky we have no asthma. The bed is very hard and my back was aching every morning. Pillows are very lowsy.

Prime kitchen is some kind of a joke I didn't get. We bought inclusive for 2 weeks (breakfast 10 lunches and 10 dinners). The breakfast is very simple. I saw a better selection in 3 * hotels.
The staff is making the appearance that they are serving you. You get your coffee during the breakfast from them but your will be lucky to get it. Sometimes you need to chaise them to get coffee or milk. Lunch is something to avoid. The starters buffet is so limited. There is salad, cucumbers, paprika and tomatoes. Sometimes there is a tuna salad or Greek salad and some kind of small breads with stuff on them. You can select one of 3 dishes. Once I have a misfortune to order tortellini with spinach. I got ravioli with some meaty filling. When I complained they said they were sorry. And when I came to the dinner waiter found me and very seriously said that the spinach was in the sauce (which was yellowish with cheese) and that I shouldn’t have complained. Imagine my fun when for the dinner we had cannelloni with a spinach filling. Overall dishes are very primitive, a lot off potatoes which I don't eat. I usually get better lunch at my workplace canteen 8 €.

The menu is the same for the week days. We stayed for 2 weeks so every Monday was the same menu and so on. The wines (you get 1 glass during lunch and 1/2 bottle during dinner) are very primitive, 1 sort of red and 1 sort of white. But the staff is making noises for you to taste it every time you order it. Yeah, for 2 weeks every day the same wine... After a couple of days I drank only water as the only reasonable option during the lunch. Dinner has better food. It served after 18:300 which is really late for me. So the best food was tasted not eaten. The staff during the dinner only brings you your drinks (wine, coffe) and takes away dishes. They succeeded to fail at that too. One day we were sat but no one was at our area to take the drink orders. We went to take our food, again no one to bring our drinks. The same situation was at the tables in the same area. I found a waiter, explained the situation and asked for the drinks. I got as an answer that he doesn't serve our area (like I care) but he served us our drinks. After 10 minutes another waiter actually came to our area and started to take orders.

January is an awful time there. Cold wind was all the time. There is nothing to see at Playa del Ingles. The shopping is awful. We went to Las Palmas for one day and that was much more interesting.

The best part of this vacation was spa and fitness. The stuff at spa and fitness was totally Swedish which explains for me the difference in service level between spa and the hotel. Spa was quite expensive but worth it. I bought 50 min to try it and came back to buy a 175 min package. The fitness classes were very good. There is something for those who never go to gym (basic yoga and water gym) and for those who like some hard trainings (circuit and power step gave a very good work out). The gym equipment is very limited.

The reception stuff is helpful and some speak many languages (in addition to Spanish and English some of them speak Finnish, Swedish and German). The Thomas Cook airlines are great. The check at the hotel for our flight home was really helpful. During the flight we have no problems and the crew was very helpful and pleasant.

Room Tip: Rooms at the main building have sun and are quiter.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
11 Thank Milla52819
Espoo, Finland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 January 2012

I stayed at Sunprime for 2 weeks from Dec 31, 2011 onwards with my partner. This was our second stay here. The hotel is very comfortable and has stylish design. Check-in was rapid and friendly with Finnish speaking staff. A special thank-you to Ben and Eeva for good level of service. We booked the hotel this time with breakfast only but decided to eat "today's lunch" or dinner on several days which was a good decision (salad buffet, mains, and in the evening also desserts). Dinner was priced at 16,90€ including a half bottle of wine per person which was a good price for Playa del Ingles. Breakfast had a small selection but good quality of cheeses, hams, fruits, and bacon. Juices were awful (tasted artificial and really not smoothies like Tjäreborg advertised). Waiters were very friendly. The room was lovely and large with a huge balcony towards Maspalomas with 2 private sun beds. The pools were a bit chilly in the beginning but two of them got warmer during out stay. Room safe was for free. Plenty of towels in room and room service exchanged them to clean ones for free during our stay. Mostly older couples, honeymooners, and some gay couples. Many Swedes and Norwegians, some Finns and Germans. Spar supermarket is just around the corner but the mini market has also a good selection of drinks etc. We used the spa on three days (you pay 10e for a week per person to use jacuzzi/steam bath) which was relaxing.

Room Tip: Try to get a room with a large balcony or access to one of the pools - very nice!
6 Thank henri_s
sowerby bridge
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 October 2011

My boyfriend and I have just returned from a week's stay at the Sunprime Atlantic View. I was really excited about staying here due to the positive reviews on this site and we booked the hotel because of these reviews. It really is a great, modern/chic hotel and no doubt one of the nicest in Playa de Ingles. The hotel was a little bit smaller than I thought it would be from the photographs. The pool areas look huge from the photographs but this area is in fact quite compact, although lovely and clean and looks beautiful at night with the lights on the pools. We stayed in a one bedroomed apartment on the ground floor. Although the apartment was smaller than we expected, it was nicely decorated, with modern furnishings and a well equipped kitchen.

We stayed All Inclusive and the food was really fabulous. Unless you're an extremely fussy eater, you should never go hungry here! Plenty of salad and fruit each day, with a variety of choices for main course which is changed each day. The eating area is wonderful. Extremely relaxing and peaceful, especially in the evenings.

My favourite place had to be the bar area. What a chilled out place! It's quite a large room, with wonderfully comfy sofas and bean bag cushions; beautifully decorated and lit perfectly. A perfect place to drink the amazing free cocktails that were on offer. The cocktails were just wonderful! Although this has been said in other reviews, the entertainment is indeed quite poor. It didn't bother us too much and didn't spoil our evenings spent in the bar, but if you're wanting some entertainment which will get you "in the mood" for a good night out, you might think about going elsewhere. The keyboard player was so bad it actually turned out to be quite amusing!

I would say elements of this hotel are 3 star and some definitely 4 star, but none the less I would definitely return to this hotel again. I liked the fact that the hotel was filled with different nationalities and I didn't experience any rudeness or animosity from any of the guests at all. The staff are wonderful. Very helpful, friendly and always smiling.

If anyone wants to play tennis in the sweltering heat (like we did!), the court is free to play, although you have to purchase your own tennis balls. We bought some from the hotel shop (4 for 10 Euros - very expensive!!), so I advise going around the corner to the local Spar to get some cheaper balls. We also played lots of games of pool at the hotel. There is a nice pool table in the bar area (2 Euros) and one which is also outside (1 Euro, but the table is not as new). We didn't take advantage of the gym or aerobics classes, but they are all free, so if you feel like getting even hotter instead of chilling out, then the facilities here are really great. I would have really loved to have booked a massage or beauty treatment, but they are VERY expensive.

As for the actual location, we went into Playa De Ingles once during the day and once for a night out. I really don't recommend it at all. What an EXTREMELY grotty place. Both times we went there, there didn't seem to be anyone around. The bars were dead and were really struggling to get people in. Maspolomas is a MUCH nicer town (5 Euros in a taxi). Very sophisticated and relaxing, modern and clean. Although we were AI, we would have loved to have eaten in some of the wonderful looking restaurants there. We also went to Melonoras for the evening expecting a good night out, but it was also as dead as a doornail. The other towns we visited were Puerto Rico (again, extremely grotty) and Puerto Morgan (a little bit nicer). I have been to all the Canary Islands and this one is my least favourite, but at the end of the day, we only really went for a week in the sunshine and we still enjoyed the holiday very much. Because there was nothing much to do outside of the hotel I was especially glad to have chosen this particular hotel. Don't expect much else.

Oh! One last thing which no-one has mentioned. BEWARE of time share people!!! I wish we had been warned. Just around the corner from the hotel is a guy, at first pretending to be helpful and showing you a map of the island. (We thought he was a hotel representative) He will then say you have won a t-shirt (or some other item) and ask you if you would like to look around a local resort which will take no more then 90 minutes. If you go, you will be there ALL DAY (like we were) and you will be persuaded to buy a time share. They are so sneaky, so be carful if you're not interested in buying a time share and say NO! If however, you do want to buy a time share, then the place they showed us is actually really beautiful. Just be careful of getting sucked in, because these time share guys are EVERYWHERE and they are very clever with their wording!!!

One last thing is a quick hello to Steven and Adele, a wonderful couple we met at the hotel who made our holiday that extra bit special. :-D

Room Tip: We saw a studio apartment as well as a one bedroomed. There isn't really that much difference, s...
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
23 Thank rebecca s
Reigate, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 October 2011

We arrived at SunPrime to discover our travel agent hadn't made the booking. However the hotel manager could clearly see, from the paperwork we had with us, that we had made and paid for the booking and so promptly gave us a room key, told us not to worry and that he would sort it out. Amazing service.

We stayed on the all-inclusive deal, which includes all meals and drinks. Don't think of this as a caribbean all-inclusive, with poolside bars and all-you-can-drink strawberry dacquiris, but more of an efficient, European all-inclusive. The resort is very much pitched at a German, Scandanavian market, but would definitely recommend it for a late autumn sun break away from the maddening crowds in Playa Inglis or Puerto Rico.

• Stayed October 2011