“Ticked all the boxes.”

GreenLeadersGold level
Kingston-upon-Hull, United Kingdom
“Ticked all the boxes.”
Reviewed 28 July 2013

Hi everyone. I'm using subtitles here, to make it easier to follow.
So....
THE HOTEL.
The Ifa Catarina consists of five or six blocks, (not certain of the number) all joining each other....in a long row, with the reception in the middle. They are five stories high and the higher you are, the better the view. We paid extra for Garden View rooms and it really is lovely...looking out onto villas with beautifully kept gardens and the sand dunes. The sea is to the left and from the balcony, it was so pretty. We were on the 5th floor, so although we overlooked the restaurant below, it was exceptionally quiet and there aren't any noisy bars or clubs nearby, so that was a big plus. Entertainment stopped at 11pm and by 12pm most people were bedded down and it was silent. We arrived at 9pm, to the friendliest of greetings and were able to literally drop our cases and go straight into the restaurant. Evening dinner finishes at 9.30, so we just got in, in time. There isn't a wow factor when you approach the hotel but once inside, it's super-clean and has a wonderful atmosphere. A member of our party is disabled and we had no problems on that score. This hotel caters well for people with reduced mobililty.

WI FI
There is a bar to the left of reception where you simply click onto the network and this gives you free wi-fi. I thought that this was great, as so many hotels charge for the internet nowadays.

THE FOOD
You wear a wristband for all inclusive, but you also need to show room keys, when dining.
There is a dress code to dinner, no shorts above the knee and no vests, which I liked, as this is a 4* hotel. Those who thought that they were at Butlins, were turned away to dress more appropriately, so bear that in mind when packing. The food was lovely, with a varied choice of hot and cold dishes and you are served drinks at the table. The waiters list all drinks on a card and I can only assume that this is for stock-taking purposes. We had breakfast, lunch and dinner every day and I will now be dieting for the next year! We took our own tea bags down to breakfast and filled a jug with a little cold milk from the cereal bar. They provide milk from the machines but its hot milk. Oh....just in case you like tomato sauce with your breakfast and to save you hunting like I did....there are sachets to the left of the hot food counter.
Outside there is an ice-cream bar next the pool, that opens mid afternoon. You can get cornets or tubs of ice cream and they serve little cakes too. Everything is included in the all-inclusive. The caramel ice-cream is lovely! Then, as if you're not already about to explode...for those of you who sleep through breakfast, there is another eating area, next to the outside bar, where they serve hot-dogs, lasagne, garlic bread, pizza etc. This opens later, so its ideal if you've missed breakfast and fancy brunch instead.

DRINK
We ordered a litre of Rose wine each night at dinner and the females all enjoyed it. The beer is good but be warned...they don't hold back on the spirits. I had a vodka and coke one night on an empty stomach and and was talking pure rubbish after that. :-) There is an outside bar and further along, near the stage, a small bar opens later, just for cocktails. When its really busy, an over-spill bar opens in the centre of the pools, so you're never queuing long for drinks. Water is NOT in your room and the outside bar doesn't open until 11am, so make certain that you get a bottle of water to see you through the night before you bed down. There is a fridge in every room (the old mini bar), so you can keep water chilled easily.

THE ROOMS
The rooms are really spacious with twin beds. I've stayed in some nice hotels and I can honestly say that I've never seen rooms as clean as this. They clean them every day and even the wardrobes are spotless. There are plenty of clothes hangers but no iron. I'm sure reception would have one though however. There is a hairdryer in the bathroom and for those of you who need a good make up mirror...there is a large magnified retracting mirror in the bathroom. Perfect!! The shower is great and adjusts in height, perfect for petite people like me...and don't bother packing shower gel. The dispenser on the wall has the nicest smelling body gel/shampoo and I used that all the time. There are no tea making facilities, so we took a portable kettle. However, when we tried to take a small glass of milk to the room for this, we were stopped. They don't allow anything to be taken from the restaurant and I'm not a lover of powdered milk :-(
The beds are really firm but I'm used to a firm mattress, so I slept well on them. The main power point is in the bathroom and we didn't need one anywhere else, so that was fine for us. Just don't forget your travel plug.
The balcony is clean, with table and chairs but boy, does it get hot out there! The air conditioning in the room was a blessing. I couldn't sit out there for long. All in all....no negatives whatsoever about the rooms. Spacious, clean and very comfortable. What more do you need?

THE POOL/GARDENS.
The area outside the hotel isn't particularly wide but it is very cleverly designed. It's set on different levels....the grassed areas being higher than the pool area. There are three pools...a child pool, the main pool....and the small pool where I would sit for hours, reading my kindle. You can lie down...press the buttons...and wait for the whirlpool action. So invigorating. Most of the children were around the pool-side obviously, so we walked up the path to the left. Its a lot quieter up there...nicely kept grass and pretty flowers and although not as breezy as around the pool, a lot more peaceful. We took it in turns at going down around 8am to get decent sunbeds up there but only because there were six of us. There are plenty of sunbeds all day, scattered about and I doubt that you'd ever not get one at all. We did Aqua fit at lunch time. Such fun but it almost killed us! There is plenty of entertainment going on, if you need to stay occupied but we were there to relax. It's a personal choice of course.

ENTERTAINMENT.
I would say that the entertainment was of good standard. The parrot show was brilliant on the Friday night. It is mainly outside, around the pool each night and it's nice to sit outside on a lovely evening.
We walked to the Yumbo centre one night and it was brilliant. Its a shopping centre, with lots of market type stalls and lined with bars. It's a gay area and quite an eye opener but be open minded and try it. We had the best night out that we'd had in years. We went to Rickys Cabaret Bar and I laughed till I cried. My stomach hurt. Its an open air bar, no charge...and I would recommend it to anyone. Not suitable for children however but that's my personal opinion. Turn left out of the hotel...walk straight on to the third roundabout and turn right. It's a ten minute walk.

THE NUDIST SOLARIUM
Now this is my only gripe with this hotel. On the roof, is a nudist solarium. If it was private, it wouldn't be an issue but three times, we looked up from our sun beds and someone was standing, looking out at the view, showing his assets to the world. If he'd been a Chippendale, it might not have seemed so bad, but he definitely wasn't. About a handful of people use it and we went up there on the Friday evening, as they have a "chill party"....nice music and drinks (no nudism). Well what a waste! There is room for so many sun beds...it has a beautiful view...a gorgeous breeze and it would be perfect for an adult only sunbathing terrace. This a family friendly hotel and there were lots of children. It would be nice if they gave people an option to have some quiet time. Considering how many people use this facility, I am amazed that it hasn't been to better use by now.

OUTSIDE THE HOTEL.
We turned left and walked to the next roundabout. Turn right and just on the left is a huge shopping centre (clothes, shoes etc). There is a supermarket across the road from the hotel too. There are plenty of eating places close by but as we were all inclusive, we didn't need to venture far. We were perfectly entertained inside the hotel and rarely needed to leave. I think that says everything about the hotel really...if you're quite happy to stay inside.
So.............
All in all, a lovely, relaxing holiday in a hotel with good food, good service and friendly staff.
Thank you to the Management and staff, for a wonderful holiday.

Room Tip: Choose a garden view room...the views are lovely.
8 Thank Sunshine_girl186317
egiersbergICA, Manager at IFA Catarina Hotel, responded to this review, 29 July 2013
Many thanks for your review and many thanks for your large descriptio and comment. We are very happy you had a nice holiday and you could enjoy almost all facilities. Pointing our your comment on the roof top solarium many guest enjoy nudism and they book the IFA Catarina because of this special facility.
We hope to welcome you again at the IFA Catarina and wish you a nice summer and hasta la vista...
With best regards,
Hotel Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (278)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 July 2013

Just come back from a short break at the hotel Catarina. We stayed between the 18th and 24th of July. Having read the reviews the family and myself was fairly confident that we would have a good experience but you never can tell.

Having been on many holidays we rely on trip advisor for an unbiased review and having never added any comments of hotels we've previously stopped in, after our stay at the IFA Catarina I felt it only fair to report the positive experience we all had.

When we initially booked we was too worried about the location but in actual fact the hotel is situated closer to maspalomas which wasn't to far away from the centre but away from the main attractions, this was perfect or us.

The hotel facilities are great, the many pools, a slide and outdoor areas was enjoyed by our 3 year old. When we stayed there was no issue getting sunbed's even when the hotel got busier on the Monday, this please the misses. I wasn't to keen on lounging on sunbed's all day so the well equipt gym was a welcome distraction, I know you shouldn't on holiday but there was plenty of equipment to keep you busy from the running machine, stepper and bike to the free weights bench and multi gym, which kept me ticking over.

The food was good also, some nights the choice wasn't great but the food was always at a high standard. The fresh salad and meats I particularly enjoyed so no complaints on that front.

All inclusive is definitely the way to go food was available at all the right times, sometimes our 3 year old wouldn't eat much breakfast which meant 11am she was sometimes hungary this was not an issue as food was available next to the pool bar like hotdogs and chips. 3-5pm coffee, ice cream and fruit was also available which was nice just before tea.

The only negative was the beds, bit too hard and uncomfortable for me, this lead to a few broken nights sleep but not a major issue.

For me the real highlight of this holiday was the entertainment team, wheather it was during the day with kids or during night with the adults they was always smiling and very welcoming. They worked very hard and had so much energy and must really enjoy what they do, the kids and adults loved them.

I've been to many 4 & 5 star hotels and have never got involved and enjoyed the entrainment as much as this holiday, both day and night. The animation guys entertainment I enjoyed more than the acts that performed at the hotel. Worth a special mention was Francois, what a great guy always smiling and getting people involved in activties, god knows how he knows all those languages but he was always explaining things to cater for all the nationalities, he is a credit to the hotel and surely deserves a wage increase. I usually wouldnt get involved in the activties but you couldnt say no to Francois, my 3 year old loved him and so did I on the quiet, which my misses kept teasing me about.

It's the first time for me that on the final night I didn't want to come home. Brilliant place and staff.

Due to our positive experiences we are planning on another trip to the IFA Catarina later on in the year, hopefully too much doesn't change from the trip we've just had and Francois is still working at the hotel.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
5 Thank Richard M
We are very happy you enjoyed your stay and we thanks for sharing your experience. We make big efforts to make a pleasent holidays for all keeping in mind the different nationalities of our guest. We are also very glad your 3 years old was also enjoying the stay.
We are pleased to welcome you later this year and don't forget once booked the hotel to contact us for your favourite room number and please don't miss to ask for toppers to have a good sleep.
Witg best regards and hasta pronto...
Reviewed 23 July 2013 via mobile

We stayed here from 15th July to 22nd July 2014. When we realised which resort we were going to I was extremely worried, but when we arrived at the Catarina and were met by all the smiling members of staff my worries were over!

How would I rate this hotel, well I would rate it 5* food was fantastic and very varied, waiting staff so friendly & helpful, the lady on the front of house (sorry didn't get her name) was wonderful. Bar staff again fantastic, the pool area was always tidy & clean (no glasses left on tables ect). Our room was kept extremely clean we stayed in room 212 which looked out onto the lovely garden and was extremely quiet.

Entertainment Team, I cannot praise these guys enough, they work so hard with children & adults, they have so much time for you, and are so happy at all times. I must admit I was gutted on the Sunday as this is their day off but I suppose they need time out!

If you are thinking of going to this hotel, GO its fab and you won't be disappointed.

I would like to thank everyone at the Catarina for making our holiday so fantastic! ( just gutted we didn't book for 2 weeks!)

Hayley, Matt, Georgina & Amelia Fisher x

• Stayed July 2013
3 Thank Fishpots
egiersbergICA, Manager at IFA Catarina Hotel, responded to this review, 24 July 2013
We are very pleased that we could make your holidays a very special stay and we thanks for sharing your comment.
We had forwarded to all our head of departments and we put special enphasize on our Animation team and they were very thankfull because of your words.
We hope to see you again at the IFA Catarina and remain,
with "sunny" regards and hasta pronto,
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 July 2013

We booked a late deal with First Choice only a week before our stay from 13 - 20 July. Having read the reviews I was expecting the hotel to be good. In actual fact, it was amazing! By far the best Spanish hotel I have ever stayed in. We arrived around 3am on the Sunday morning and check in was very quick and we were up to our room straight away. Having read previous room tips I had emailed the hotel before my stay, asking for a high floor room with a view and in a quiet location. I received a reply by email straight away, which I was very impressed with before I even got there. I was told that they would try, but could not guarantee. In actual fact, we were given a room on the top/5th floor (512) - The very far end of the hotel, overlooking the beautiful and quiet gardens and with the most stunning views right out across the dunes to the sea and to the Faro/Maspalomas. The views of sunset were worth staying in the room for with a drink on the balcony, totally amazing! The food at breakfast was very plentiful, well laid out and even though the hotel seemed busy there were hardly any queues. Generally the same foods are laid out in more than one place so there is no need to queue! The selection of foods at lunch time was fantastic, the best salad bar I have seen, with plenty of choice of hot and cold food. Though, little choice if you only want pizza and chips, but be adventurous all the foods are amazing. Evening meal was also a delight, the soups were always lovely, especially the tomato. Plenty of breads, different meat carvery available most nights, there was Paella one night, lots of freshly cooked fish, cooked at the buffet. Believe me, the choice was amazing. There was also lots of choice of great deserts, including ice creams, cakes, gateaux, crème patisserie. I could go on, amazing, believe me. There are limited tables outside and you may have to wait a minute or two for a table, and it may be more difficult if there are more than 2 or 3 of you in your group. But we got a table for 2 outside almost straight away every night, by going down between 7 and 730. Drinks on the All inclusive included plenty of variety, including good beer, cocktails, and the wine was perfectly ok. Our room was, as I said, on the top floor and the views from the balcony were fantastic. You could not hear the pool, but even so, the entertainment stops at 11. The air con was not fantastic, but if you kept the patio doors closed all night, and put your nectar card or something in the slot by the door it will keep it on when you are out, so the room will be cooler when you get in. Yes, the beds were quite firm, but you got used to them, and I read on here that the hotel will give mattress toppers in you needed them, but after the first night, we got used to them. Had peaceful nights sleep every night. The room maids were very friendly and did a great job cleaning the rooms. There is also a little slip on the bedside table which if you fill in, you can have your room cleaned at a time suited to you. We didn't use this, but its an extra touch that puts this hotel above the rest. Now to the outside. The gardens are amazing, a real oasis, the hotel is in enormous grounds, there are three pools, including 2 sets of Jacuzzi beds, waterfalls, and a very peaceful fishpond with seating, loungers and the gentle flow of water around the rocks. The beds are quite close together by the pool and they do get reserved early, if this is where you want to be, you will need to "book early" with your towel... However, even at midday, there were plenty of loungers available in the gardens, nowhere more than a minute or so stroll back from the pool, these suited us fine. Now for the highlight and his name, Francois - The main man in the animation team. He works so hard, seemingly all day. From the aquagym, which is great fun, to shuffleboard, darts, pool ball - And then he is on the stage in the evening, his "sexy swordfight" was hilarious - He is an absolute star, everyone seems to fall in love with him, children, women and men. An absolute credit to the hotel - He deserves a raise :-) If you do venture out of the hotel, the dunes are just 5 minutes away and they are a sight to behold, truly spectacular. The nocturnal entertainment in the Yumbo Centre is just 15 minutes walk away, or a taxi of no more than 4 Euro - Our flight was not until after midnight on our last day and officially you do have to be out of your room by midday. However, we asked the night before and were told to check in the morning and we were able to keep our room until our transfer arrived for just 30 Euro. Definitely worth it if you can, though there is a changing room and luggage area to use and the hotel did give us vouchers for a free meal, as officially the All inclusive does finish at 12noon on your last day. All in all, an amazing holiday and I will definitely be returning very very soon.

Room Tip: If you want a view of the dunes/sea you need to be on 4th or 5th floor. Rooms 401/501 - 431/531 are...
4 Thank Midlander75
Thank you veru much for your review and thanks for the time taken for the large comment. We are vely pleased that your enjoyed your stay specially the good location of your room with always nice sunsets, the good and varied food and the our garden areas.
We would be very glad to welcome you again and wish you a good summer home.
With "sunny" regards and hasta la vista...
Reviewed 19 July 2013

Arrived at 10 at night and they told us they had prepared us a snack, we ventured to the dining hall and they had laid out a giant feast! It was beautiful and very kind, lots of salad, meats, cheeses and breads as well as yummy desserts. The rooms are gorgeous and so clean, we had a lovely view of the gardens which i recommend requesting. The beds at first seemed quite hard to us however after a few nights you get used to it and it actually helped my back. Food at breakfast, lunch and dinner in the main restaurant is amazing, something for everyone and its really tasty. By the bar there is a place to get snacks and help yourself and theres chips and hotdogs and salads etc. Slushies and ice cream available from 3pm. There are plenty of beds by the pool however i recommend getting there early if you want the best beds because only some of them see the sunlight all day (the hotel building blocks the sun until about 12pm. Pools are great, the main one is quite shallow, obviously for children, but there is a second smaller pool which we stayed by and it was gorgeous, with a jacuzzi and waterfall! The gardens are amazingly kept and i recommend walking around them because they are beautiful with so many varied areas for sunbathing (go here if you want a more quiet place to sunbathe). Entertainment was fabulous every night and didn't go on until too late. Totally recommend visiting the sand dunes which are so close to the hotel and are absolutely stunning and took my breath away. Coach to the beach was great, air con and always on time. Some tips are - To get extra TV channels in your room you can pay 3 euros a night or 14 euros for your whole day, to do this just go to reception and ask them (we weren't told about this and discovered it ourselves after going to reception to complain that the tv kept switching off) another tip is that there is free wifi in the Madison bar next to reception which is useful because wifi in your room costs 8 euros a day which is a bit expensive! Overall had a very relaxing holiday, enjoyed the food and the staff were lovely, would definitely recommend it to anyone who wants a nice relaxing stress free week away.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank youngdiner1
Many thanks for sharing your review and thanks for your detailed report. It is great to know that you enjoyed very much your stay. Your recommendation are fantastic for ohter that booked the hotel.
We wish you a good summer at home and we would very happy to welcome you again at the IFA Catarina.
With best regards and hasta pronto...
Scotland, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 July 2013

My wife and I, booked a week at the Catarina for our silver wedding anniversary through Thomson Holidays and enjoyed our time.
After a 4.3 hrs flight from Glasgow and a 40 mins transfer to the Hotel, we had arrived shortly after 1pm, Check into the Hotel was went very well and headed to our room on the 4th floor - garden view.
The room was spotlessly cleaned, spacious with good facilities and the maids were in every day to clean and tidy, they had done a brilliant job. You get use to the beds once you get use to the heat! Air condition in the room as long as you keep the patio doors to the balcony closed.

One of the hotel staff, brought up a bottle of champagne, which was a nice surprise as we weren't expecting it. In fact my wife had asked me had I ordered it and said no!.

AI - Restaurant food was off a good selection for breakfast, lunch and evening meal and lots off it! You ordered your drinks at lunch and evening meal times and they arrived very soon after, Table service brilliant.

Plenty of sun loungers available, although the poolside area can be busy, so if your looking for solitude and peaceful time, then head to the garden area.

Snack bars available from 11am, ice cream, cakes from 3-5pm and variety of drinks at the bar, waiter service in the afternoons and evenings also if you wanted to avoid some of the queue at the bar.

Beach down at Maspolamas - there is a shuttle bus just outside the front entrance to the hotel - free which takes you there - runs every hour from 9,30am to either 2.30 or 3.30, takes about 5 mins and its a nice stroll back to the hotel in the evening along by the sea front through the shopping centre. To hire a double sunlounger with shade umbrella is about 7.5e.

Plenty of places to visit, tours organised but we preferred to keep near the resort and treat it as a relaxing time.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank 826steve
egiersbergICA, Manager at IFA Catarina Hotel, responded to this review, 22 July 2013
Thanks for sharing your review and thanks for thaking the time for it. We are very pleased you enjoyed your holidays and that you could meet your expectations and even we surprised you with a bottle of champaign on your anniversary. We hope you had a wonderful & romantic evening at your balcony...
We wish to welcome you again on next anniversary or birthday at the IFA Catarina and we wish you and your family a nice summer.
With best regards and hasta la vista...
West Sussex, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 July 2013

This is a cracking place if you want a guilt free, lazy break relaxing in the sun. We had chosen the all-inclusive option which by far gave us great value for money. There’s a main buffet style restaurant for breakfast, lunch and dinner which has the biggest variety and displays of food I’ve ever seen - even a fussy eater will be able to pile their plate high! There’s also a snack bar by the pool which does fast food items like chips, hot dogs, pizzas etc. Further to this, there’s an ice cream bar open in the afternoon and they’re not shy with their portions! You also then have the pool bar outside and the Madison bar inside which has free wifi.

The staff are absolutely amazing; not one person who worked for the hotel we met grumbled or had a frown. Everyone appeared to be genuinely happy, singing, joining in activities and simply going out of their way to help. There’s a lot of activities to take part in if you wish to – aqua gym, water polo, shuffle board, competitions, mini disco, nightly shows etc.

There’s a main pool with lots of sun loungers all around the edge – this is where the outside bar, snack bar and ice cream bar are. We camped out here for one day but found it too noisy for our personal liking but there were also quiet and secluded gardens with loungers. These were close enough to walk over to the bar or take part in an activity and we found it to be much quieter.

Rooms were fine for what we were after, simple but had everything we needed and were quite large by comparison to other hotels I’ve stayed at before. A lot of wardrobe space and hangers, TV if you want it, large balcony and outdoor space for hanging / drying things. Bathroom was pretty big too. My only criticisms would be that the beds and pillows really are quite hard. I think of myself as a sound sleeper but even I struggled to get a decent night’s sleep for the first few days. My other concern was the hairdryer in the bathroom. I saw that the hotel had one so left mine behind as I’m not really fussy with my hair. However the dryer was quite dated and got far too hot to handle after about 5 minutes or so. It probably took on average 30 minutes to dry my hair. So even if you normally get by on hotel hairdryers – I would recommend taking yours.

The hotel is conveniently located about 5 minute walk from the sand dunes which are a must see, and the ‘famous’ Yumbo centre is a 10 / 15 minute in the opposite direction. We also visited the Moon Light Cinema in Meloneras which is about 10 minutes in a taxi, will cost appx 5 Euros to get there and is a great experience if you fancy something different.

4 Thank emmylou302
egiersbergICA, Manager at IFA Catarina Hotel, responded to this review, 18 July 2013
Thanks for the time taken for your review and thanks for sharing your experience. We are pleased that you enjoyed your holiday and to mention it we had read your comment on the hairdryer. We for comming your to change them.
We wish you and your family a nice summer and hope to welcome you again.
Hasta la vista and with best regards,