Do not believe the other reviews, particularly if you're looking for a gay friendly hotel near the Yumbo Centre.
We travelled here over pride with a group of friends, some had the apartments and some had the bungalows. Although the rooms were pretty clean and well maintained they didn't come without their problems.
First though I want to tell you about the rude, aggressive and arrogant anti gay staff and hotel policies. On the day of pride there was an increased security presence at the hotel. The security made the guests feel uncomfortable and uneasy about their stay. We had arranged a small gathering of people at our room (8 already staying at the hotel, and 6 from outside the hotel). All of those people were refused entrance to the hotel because they didn't 'look family orientated'.
We proceeded to complain about the hotel to the reception and we were told in no uncertain terms that the hotel didn't support gay policies or advertise itself as a gay hotel (we never thought it did) and that our guests were not welcome in the property. We then questioned this further and we were told again that this is NOT A GAY HOTEL but a family hotel. Again we never thought it was a gay htel and we certainly didn't suggest it was.
As a result we were forced to leave the property and the rest of our holiday was ruined by feeling uncomfortable. The staff then made us feel more uncomfortable by constantly calling the room (for no reason at all) and generally making our stay unpleasant.
Other very negative factors about the hotel, unrelated to this:
- The food is the worst buffet food I have ever seen or tasted. It was dry, there was very little choice and was consistently made up from the breakfast leftovers.
- The food was empty one one night of our stay 2 HOURS before the restaurant was due to close
- The wifi would not work at any time during our stay
- The room cleaning was sub standard and dead animals were left in our shower for days
- The sofa was broken on arrival with no mention of it
- The beds were extremely cheap and uncomfortable
To sum it up. Never again.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Apartments and bungalows. Renovated in 2015, it offers excellent facilities and services. Certified with ISO 14001 and ISO 9001, Sol Barbacan is an ideal destination to spend your holidays, accompanied by your family and friends, with its spacious gardens, is an oasis in Playa del Ingles. 500 m distance from the city center, 2 km from Playa del Ingles beach and golf courses, 6,5 km from Playa de Maspalomas beach, 15 km from the airport, 29 km from Puerto de Mogan, 30 km from Las Palmas, 77 km de Teror and 89 km from the Valle de Agaete valley. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Jet2Holidays , TravelUp, Melia, LoveHolidays, Booking.com, Hotels.com and Priceline so you can book your Sol Barbacan Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hotel Sol Barbacan
- Sol Melia Playa Del Ingles
- Sol Barbacan Hotel Gran Canaria/Playa Del Ingles